Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Back from the consultant today or well the doc who was meeting for her, still haven't meet the lady herself :) but tis so conflicting.. This lady was more pushed towards Id say going naturally so there was little to no talk about booking the 25th for a section.. Both kinda came away going mmmmm what to do.. But back to square one we shall wait and see, back in again next week.. She said baby is still head down so that is good

Hope ye are all doing great Starlady and things have settled down for ye... How is the section wounds feeling?

Have to say himself has been a gem this weekend letting me sleep in every morning and taking herself, its like ahhh.. Have a few little bits and bobs to do. Just going through the bottles there to see what is good and what is not. Baby was leaping around like mad but has quietened in the last two days.. Still lots of movement just not as much.

Heading out this evening for a dinner with himself, thank god my brother is close to babysit so that should be loverly...

Hope everyone is doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Thanks Milly we are much more settled now. His due date was this week so I still am getting my head around the fact he's been around for nearly 3 weeks already...

Section wound is very sore on one side, I can't lie on it without pain. Went to GP last week and he was happy with it and said it is healing well and to give it another 2 weeks and it should feel better so I am trying to rest but dying to get back walking at the same time! I haven't exercised in si kibg because I had to stop during the pregnancy due to nausea etc. and now more rest due to section!

I had reduced movement in the last few weeks also...went into hospital a number of times in the final few weeks and they did a trace of the baby's heart which was always good. I think he just ran out of room towards to end. If you are worried go in, they are well used to it!

Enjoy your meal out and best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Starlady it does take time to heal. Possibly the shock of an emergency c-section isn’t helping.

All going well here, decided against an internal exam at 39 weeks but will go ahead at 40 and depending on how things look will probably opt for a sweep. However i think baby has engaged. Baby had been lying to the left but seems to have dropped and centred

Collected the last bits of the buggy from my sister and husband is giving them a wash. Once they are dry we are all sorted.

Enjoy your dinner milly.

Oh take your time Starlady as P&C even the mental side of having the emergency section can take you a while to recover. While it is ok, jes i remember waking in sweats a few nights from dreams after all the medication and that so dont panic. It takes a while for even the meds to go and then you have healing time... Think my scar was the same on one side, where the knot was, that might feel bigger goo was told at the time twas grand, i can still kinda feel it sometimes.. Be careful when you are getting out of bed jes that can feel horrible sometimes, You would love to have one of the pullys they have on the bed to make it easier.. Maybe go for short walks just make sure someone is there with you...

Fantastic P&C ye are all ready then!!! Just a waiting game... I hope it happens soon for ye... The face on the consultant the last day when i said no to the sweep was like, well then! Kinda tried to joke saying i had enough going on down there without that happening but nope... We have another app tomorrow now and we think really that if the baby doesn't budge by the 1st then well opt for a section on the 1st. Takes us 9 days over which I can see the frown but then they give you all differant information so were just going with what feels right..

Think ours is the same as ye Starlady well he (me thinks) is lying to the left all the time you see buldges sticking out :)..

Dinner was quite nice hostess could do with a kick up the arse but the ambiance was loverly and great to get out and yeah talk about babies haha

Yup just a waiting game now!

Yeah consultant was funny when I decided against an internal. Kept asking was I sure, and did I even want just a little one? I’m thinking like what’s the difference?

Anyway should know more tomorrow

I think you are both right it will take time to heal from the section. You do forget it is major surgery...I have rested alot over the weekend and the pain is easing alot which is great.

That might be it Milly but do go in if you are worried...they are well used to it. I am convinced though my baby just ran out of room as he got bigger because the movement declined all the time especially from 33 weeks onwards.

I don't think I would have done the sweep either if it was me but each to their own!

thats it, it is such a normal thing to even say a c section you forget that it is a big operation. Still think it is mad how fast they leave you out after, you should be kept in at least 5 days to a week. Twas late on a Thurs i had the section as in 10pm and then out on the Sunday. Madness, i know women are powerfull and we are I think a man would just be in a ball crying somewhere after it, but we need or time..

Thanks will do for sure, hes been bopping around all day now and got a very odd feeling when I was out walking around so maybe he is on the move.. Your a mighty women Starlady and dont forget it...

So met with consultant and had a sweep. I found it fine, a couple of mild cramps afterward and a small bit of a bleed. Seems I’m already 1-2cm dilated so that probably helped and consultant thinks I should go into labour naturally. Fingers crossed as I really want a shot at using the birthing pool and it’s a no go if you’re induced

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Best of luck all.You are bringing back some vivid memories!!Hope it goes well (and quickly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

starlady1 wrote: »
    Thanks Milly we are much more settled now. His due date was this week so I still am getting my head around the fact he's been around for nearly 3 weeks already...

Section wound is very sore on one side, I can't lie on it without pain. Went to GP last week and he was happy with it and said it is healing well and to give it another 2 weeks and it should feel better so I am trying to rest but dying to get back walking at the same time! I haven't exercised in si kibg because I had to stop during the pregnancy due to nausea etc. and now more rest due to section!

I had reduced movement in the last few weeks also...went into hospital a number of times in the final few weeks and they did a trace of the baby's heart which was always good. I think he just ran out of room towards to end. If you are worried go in, they are well used to it!

Enjoy your meal out and best of luck!

Surgical wounds are often sore on one side . It is nearly always the side the stitches end , this is possibly because the surgeon pulls tighter towards the end and the last few stitches can feel pulled and tights
    Rest and take it easy , a C section is major surgery and you need about 6 weeks to feel you are getting your strength back

Yeah so happy for you P&C... 1 - 2 cm already is fantastic, were you getting mild cramps or anything before? Fantastic news...How are you feeling since?

We had a long day in there now and not getting lunch beforehand was a mistake, but met a loverly male doctor and female doctor and have to say they have been the nicest to us so far. Even the intern was just loverly the first to ask if you actually wanted help getting up off the table :)..

So after a chat and declining the sweep too (he was funny asking was it because i thought he would be doing it). We went with an internal examine as he said the head was engaged and it would just give them more of an idea, the female doc done this and more or less said well the cervix is still closed and well with my long pathway (which is just odd second gynie to say this to me) that she thought it was unlikely I would go into labour this week and she was think the best is to book for the section on Friday..

So booked in for Fri! All a bit real now which is silly as sure tis been 9mths but last few days.

Milly I’m glad you had a good visit and that you’re happy with your decisions.

I’ve no real cramping, just every now again a little one like I’ve a bit if trapped wind but they move off really fast. Nothing like my period pains which used to be horrendous.

I don’t think I even got Braxton hicks so actual contractions are going to be a huge shock

I think that is what i was getting the hicks, just feels kinda niggly really. Didnt get them with herself so not really sure either..

God the doubts are setting in now as to should we wait longer maybe another week, but thats just thinking too much. You think section yeah grand and then I remember the tights haha..

I meant to say that also Starlady if you get a pain kinda like period pain again on one side sometimes it can be just wind.. I remember about 2 weeks after going for a walk and got the twinge, got sore but nothing unbearable was thinking is there another on the way, and sure then well lets say the pressure released haha.

Just a waiting game so P&C have ye yer names picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well baby Sam is here after a 10 hour labour. Definitely my hardest one. Hes so quiet and content long may it last.

Managed to make it through with no pain relief some how.

So he was born 24th at 19.48 8lb 8ounces and his due date was the 27th so I'm happy with that.

Wishing all remaining a speedy delivery and recovery

Well baby Sam is here after a 10 hour labour. Definitely my hardest one. Hes so quiet and content long may it last.

So he was born 24th at 19.48 8lb 8ounces and his due date was the 27th so I'm happy with that.

Congratulations on baby Sam. I hope you have a speedy recovery and the best behaved baba ever.

Congratulations! Glad it all went well. Wow that's a great weight he is. Mine still doesn't weigh that at 3 weeks old!

Fair play for doing it with no pain relief. Hope you are recovering well and get to go home soon!

Congratulations to ye!!! Welcome Baby Sam, hope ye are settling in at home great...

We welcomed little Oliver on the 25th of Oct, weighing in at 7lb 12oz a right cutie he is tiny. Ended up section in the end but sure
    all is good.

Bit dissappointed as the leaving was ruined again put a real downer on things but getting over it.. Strange having a baby again getting used to how much they sleep tis mad

Congratulations Milly!

Mind yourself after the section. The recovery is tough.

Sorry to hear that, hope ye are all okay.

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Congratulations to ye!!! Welcome Baby Sam, hope ye are settling in at home great...

We welcomed little Oliver on the 25th of Oct, weighing in at 7lb 12oz a right cutie he is tiny. Ended up section in the end but sure
    all is good.

Bit dissappointed as the leaving was ruined again put a real downer on things but getting over it.. Strange having a baby again getting used to how much they sleep tis mad

Congratulations milly. Take care of yourself after the section. I hope baby Oliver is good for you

thank you all... Yeah he is being a dinger in fairness sleeping loads which freaks me out but then i have to remember he is only small.Hard to believe our little one has her two year app with the HSE nurse tom i cant believe the time has gone so fast.. Tis crazy

Our baby girl was born on the 31st of October so just snuck into the October baby’s club. I went 9 days overdue and had elected to be induced at this stage and I’m so glad I was as I think nothing would have put me into natural labour. It wasn’t straightforward and I have to credit my consultant who worked very hard to allow me to have a normal delivery, I honestly think without him I’d have had to have a C-section.

So after having a very healthy straightforward pregnancy baby did everything possible not to come out but we have her now and are happy out settled in at home.

Congratulations! The only girl in the October club I think.

Great you were able to have a normal delivery. Recovery from a section is severe so great to avoid all that.

starlady1 wrote: »
    Congratulations! The only girl in the October club I think.

Great you were able to have a normal delivery. Recovery from a section is severe so great to avoid all that.

Yes I was think god. Even avoided the suction, they had it on her head when I started getting sick and gave her the push out she needed! Think it was a first for the labour ward.

Yeah Congratulations P&C I was coming on just to check who was left, and to see how you were doing.. fantastic news super happy for you that your little one arrived they way you wanted her too, although it does sound like a bit of a story :)...

Hope ye are at home and settling into new life with baby..10Was only thinking of the natural delivery today, while forcing these daft support stockings on.. Mind the are the last of it, finished up the injections today and last day of tablets tom so thats it.. Got out twice the last few days and feeling quite well..

Has anyoen else got these cold sweats at night? Asled the nurse the last day and thank god they are normall but they are horrible, waking up sweating but still frozen..

• Advertisement

I hated those injections, the bruises from them are only really going away now, great to have them over with!

I had those too Milly for about 2 weeks after I came home from hospital. The same as you I'd wake up at night with them. They are annoying but they will stop eventually!

thank god great to know thanks Starlady, as if the washing wasnt bad enough with the babies clothes not to mind sweaty nights (sorry that sounds all types of wrong haha )... I orderd some arnica cream and aloe to try and get rid of the bruises, for such a small injection they really do leave a mark...

The sweating didn't last too long for me I am sure by 2 weeks after I came home it had stopped.

They really do I had horrific bruising from them. They were talking about sending me home with another 7-10 days of injections. I showed them the bruises and they said 2 days would be enough!

Great good to know thank you, this would be one week done of them... Lucky you to not have to do them at home then, i meant to look them up to see what is in them that stings so nasty.. I took my cardi off today in a shop and himself said it looked like he was after beating me up on the arms, i forgot i had a huge purple bruise on the back of my arm where we kinda hit it the wrong way... asked the doc and tis grand like just broken vessels..

how is everyone's little ones sleeping? Trying to get himself to stay awake a bit at night now so he sleeps better later, going to be fun

My one eats and sleeps a lot. Public health nurse called on Monday to do heel prick test and weighed her, she had already put on 6 ounces.

I’m trying not to give her bad habits of falling asleep in our arms but she’s often so sleepy after a feed that I can’t avoid it (and I love the cuddles)

At least twice a day she takes long naps, upto 5 hours, though that hasn’t happened during the night yet. At first I was waking her to feed but the HSE website says to leave them that their belly will tell them when to wake up.

• Advertisement

So true P&C with the waking they will wake when they are hungry or when they need something... Our fella wakes 2 now around 2 and 7 which is a bit down to routine with feeding times and down to himself.. Sleeping 5 hours is great ye must be delighted, gives you a nice break to get stuff done. How are you feeling now?

Oh the cuddles take them all... Sure the bad habits are only there if tis all the time or well you know yourself when they are doing it out of habit or not.. God i got the lovelist cuddles for the older little lady tonight was weak for them..

We had the GP today so said it about the sleep and just that he said sure they are all differant and not to be worried about it so we arent. In fairness he is staying awake for a good bit bow well an hour or hour and half at a time.. We took out the play mat the last few days and he does quite like it..

Hope everyone has a loverly weekend

So true P&C with the waking they will wake when they are hungry or when they need something... Our fella wakes 2 now around 2 and 7 which is a bit down to routine with feeding times and down to himself.. Sleeping 5 hours is great ye must be delighted, gives you a nice break to get stuff done. How are you feeling now?

Oh the cuddles take them all... Sure the bad habits are only there if tis all the time or well you know yourself when they are doing it out of habit or not.. God i got the lovelist cuddles for the older little lady tonight was weak for them..

We had the GP today so said it about the sleep and just that he said sure they are all differant and not to be worried about it so we arent. In fairness he is staying awake for a good bit bow well an hour or hour and half at a time.. We took out the play mat the last few days and he does quite like it..

Hope everyone has a loverly weekend

I’m feeling good. I think I must be a fast healer and because she sleeps so well i get plenty of rest.

It’s so true they are all different. I find the Hse website great as it’s very informative

Fantastic the sleep must be welcomed... Getting broken nights sleep but at least getting it, he is an awfull noisy baby at night haha. Between the gurgels and the grunts, you would think he is pooping all the time but nope just getting settled..

Nurse again today and while he is still lower than his birth weight he is getting there...So trying our best to get as much into him without giving him a sick belly at the same time..

Fantastic the sleep must be welcomed... Getting broken nights sleep but at least getting it, he is an awfull noisy baby at night haha. Between the gurgels and the grunts, you would think he is pooping all the time but nope just getting settled..

Nurse again today and while he is still lower than his birth weight he is getting there...So trying our best to get as much into him without giving him a sick belly at the same time..

Yeah it’s a balancing act. I was wondering if I should give her bigger bottles as she often wanted more after a feed. Public health nurse said no more than 4oz in one go for the first month. Grand to give an ounce or two an hour later after some is digested though. Especially as she’s a bigger baby so will want more

Tis true with the bottles, there is a fine line between them being full. Their bellies are so small, with our first I was breast feeding and then went to bottles and getting the bottles .It was a pain. We were given her too much so it just meant she would spew it up.. Leads to a lot of washing..

No harm picking up the bigger bottles to use in the future if you see them on a good deal!
    Im mad to get Christmas started here haha, last year was a bit of a downer of one so really want this year to be perfect and have all the decorated done early so we can just sit back and enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Popping over from November, does anyone know is the mother entitled to the 2 week gp check up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No it's baby only for the 2 week one.
    Most decent GPs will ask how you are at least though.Or you can always just say to the doctor you would like them to look at something and you will pay for your appointment.I did that on one of mine and the doctor listened to me then told me at the end he wasn't going to charge me for it so not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Thanks. Do most people avail of the 2 week check up for baby?

I didn't because the public health nurse came out at 2 weeks and she said there was no need to bring baby to doctor again in the same week. Baby is free anyway so you can go anytime you are worried and as far as I know mother is free up to six weeks after delivery

I took it coz I don't get much for free!!!
    Also I was BF and just wanted to weigh again, for my own peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I went with my last baby coz it was an excuse to get out of the house with just the baby.
    I don’t think I went with any of my older kids- in fact, I don’t think I knew it was even a thing until baby no 3.

I was thinking ti was just for baby too but our sons (feels so odd to type that)asked me first a few questions about how it all went and how was i feeling etc, ask how the feeding was going and took a look at the stitches for me as there was a little one sticking out, was great..

How are ye all doing.
    I've been MIA for the last few weeks trying to get little mans reflux under control. Because of the discomfort he has been sleeping in bed with me at night which means no sleep for me. I know this is a no no but it settled him.
    Finally last night my little champ slept in his basket all night for me.
    Biggest issue now is balancing him and the older kiddies with school and feeding him at the one time..

Hard to believe 5 weeks tomorrow.. how is everyone healing? And how are ye feeling mood wise

How are ye all doing.
    I've been MIA for the last few weeks trying to get little mans reflux under control. Because of the discomfort he has been sleeping in bed with me at night which means no sleep for me. I know this is a no no but it settled him.
    Finally last night my little champ slept in his basket all night for me.
    Biggest issue now is balancing him and the older kiddies with school and feeding him at the one time..

Hard to believe 5 weeks tomorrow.. how is everyone healing? And how are ye feeling mood wise

Fair play to you with the lack of sleep and still having to mind the older ones. With reflux, anything that helps his sleep is the right thing to do. I have my hands full with the one. Though to be fair she is very good and sleeps well for us.

I’m feeling ok and healing good, can feel the stitches knitting which is weird. Also while I actually do get enough sleep, especially compared to the last month of pregnancy, I am feeling tired. I think it’s the feast that I’m ‘ON’ all the time compared to before baby when on de work was over my time was my own.

I'm definitely not missing been pregnant but at least I had alone time then.
    I didn't get stitches but I did get placenta removed manually and had issues since then..
    I miss cuddles with my partner too..

God yes, bed is strictly for sleeping and at times it feels like we are ships passing in the night as he takes late evening feed so I can go to bed and I have overnight so am generally asleep when he leaves in the morning.

Little one does sleep well so I’m hopeful she will sleep the night soon and we can have more awake time together

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Hi all, I last posted in this thread in early pregnancy, how times have changed now :-)

I ended up being induced with and hyperstimulated for 20 hours before the baby went into distress from lack of oxygen and we had an emergency c section. I was definitely a bit traumatised after it all, and wasn't coping with breastfeeding with exhaustion, bad latch, tongue tie, a very hungry big baby (4.1 kg when born) and also social awkwardness from my family who made me feel really uncomfortable feeding in front of them. I ended up throwing in the towel after 2 weeks and then had serious mum guilt for a little while about it. It also annoys me that random strangers I meet ask me how I'm feeding him. Who does that?

All of this feels like it happened an age ago and my son is only 4 weeks old! I feel much better about formula feeding now cos it was best for our family. It feels weird having a baby, life is so different. The recovery from a section is so long. Cant drive for 6 weeks and can't exercise for 12 weeks after birth! I'm mad to lose the pregnancy weight and get back into my normal clothes and feel like myself again. How long does it take to lose a stone :-D

Also do your little ones sleep much? My guy is awake all day long bar a couple of hours sleep, and needs to be held all the time while awake. I got a sling which has definitely helped me be more mobile! Any tips for a clingy baby welcome!

I feel you on the hyperstimulated but luckily avoided a section.

When we were in the hospital the midwives showed me how to swaddle the baby and she definitely slept well when swaddled and I think it helped give her good sleep habits. However definitely during the daytime she is more awake.

How much food is he taking in one go? And are you sure he doesn’t have wind? I’m also formula feeding and I give her infacol before each feed as wind does get a bit trapped and means she can be harder to settle

Does your little fella take a soother? I give her the soother in the crib, particular in the morning, if I have to replace it in her mouth 20 times I’ll do that and she will go off to sleep.
    She also sleeps well when out on a walk but that might not be an option for you.

And she loves sleeping on mammy and daddy’s shoulder as most babies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

I feel you on the hyperstimulated but luckily avoided a section.

When we were in the hospital the midwives showed me how to swaddle the baby and she definitely slept well when swaddled and I think it helped give her good sleep habits. However definitely during the daytime she is more awake.

How much food is he taking in one go? And are you sure he doesn’t have wind? I’m also formula feeding and I give her infacol before each feed as wind does get a bit trapped and means she can be harder to settle

Does your little fella take a soother? I give her the soother in the crib, particular in the morning, if I have to replace it in her mouth 20 times I’ll do that and she will go off to sleep.
    She also sleeps well when out on a walk but that might not be an option for you.

And she loves sleeping on mammy and daddy’s shoulder as most babies do.

He takes a lot of formula for his age. We always make 150ml bottles and he can take anywhere between 100 - 150 ml each time. He definitely is really gassy, and also spits up alot so might have reflux too. Maybe I should try infacol if gas might be the problem. I do use a soother with him but going to try a walk in the morning too. Thanks for the tips really helpful x

• Advertisement

My girl is taking about the same of formula. Public health nurse advised me to only give 120ml at a time up to 4 weeks as otherwise we could stretch her stomach too much but that it’s fine to top up an hour later if she wants it. She also recommended the infacol, at first I felt bad giving it to her as if I’d failed or something but now I see it as a godsend. Last thing I want is for her to have pains in her tummy. She still spits up a bit but usually it’s when she hasn’t got all her wind up as she’s fallen asleep drinking her bottle?

Advertisement