Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

I had a short stay in La Rive near Biscarrosse. We used Brittany ferries into Roscoff as it arrived in earlier in the morning than the other options (shorter crossing too!). It’s a long drive and I think you need that early start for breaks with kids if you are not stopping overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

@ninesell how did u find the place? We'll be going with a 9, 7 & 3 yr olds. Stops will be key and I can't forsee not stopping overnight for that length hence looking at cork-santander option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    @ninesell how did u find the place? We'll be going with a 9, 7 & 3 yr olds. Stops will be key and I can't forsee not stopping overnight for that length hence looking at cork-santander option

Drive from Roscoff or Cherbourg to Biscarosse is very do-able especially if there are two of you to do the driving. We stayed overnight in La Rochelle (I think) one year and regretted the wasted day.

Our trip is essentially:-

10:30 - Off the ferry and I drive 3 hours until we get to this McDonalds just south of Nantes.

14:15 - my wife takes over the driving while I take a nap and drives 2.5 hours to this motorway service station where we top up on Diesel (it's about €7 more per tank filling on a motorway station) and get coffee, use the bathrooms etc etc.

17:15 - I get back behind the wheel and do the last 150km to La Reserve which is at the southern end of Lake Biscarosse arriving +/- 19:00 or so in plenty of time to unload, set up the mobile and grab a table at the campsite restaurant to start the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

It was our overnight stopping point! :pac:

We just had one full day there. From what I remember, the kids loved the pool and lake. We had takeaway pizza and I think the shop was a reasonable size. On approach, there was a lot of traffic coming the other direction from the lake. I believe it is a busy spot with excellent water sports facilities.

If you can’t face the journey in one go, it might be easier to stay a night in something like the b&b hotel chain or Eurocamp if you have a loaded car than a longer potentially rough crossing to Santander..

Ninesell wrote: »
    It was our overnight stopping point! :pac:

We just had one full day there. From what I remember, the kids loved the pool and lake. We had takeaway pizza and I think the shop was a reasonable size. On approach, there was a lot of traffic coming the other direction from the lake. I believe it is a busy spot with excellent water sports facilities.

If you can’t face the journey in one go, it might be easier to stay a night in something like the b&b hotel chain or Eurocamp if you have a loaded car than a longer potentially rough crossing to Santander..

Ya wife isn't keen on the ferry at the best of times, so when I mentioned Santander, it wasn't a great response. We'll be going with another family so a stop either side of hols, might effect hol length, I'd drive it on my own but the other driver wouldn't be as comfortable, and I suppose we have to think of the kids..

• Advertisement

@MorganIRL, did you book via www.campinglarive.co.uk?

54and56 wrote: »
    Haven't booked yet with anyone, waiting to see if any deals come nxt month.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deeman83

Do you know if there are good and extensive cycling paths accessible from the campsite?

We stop in Domaine Des Ormes every year on the way home.
    We love it and the kids love it.

Its almost a theme/water park type resort which caters for all ages.

Its very very busy which can put some people off.
    Lots of Irish, but mostly Dutch.

There are great cycling routes around the resort (no roads) which we use our mountain bikes on (5km and 8km trails).
    There is a little old village called St Leanards which is almost traffic less and very quiet which is worth a visit.

Haven't booked yet with anyone, waiting to see if any deals come nxt month.

Can't blame you. It looks like a nice site but prices seem incredibly expensive. I checked pricing for 3 weeks in July in one of the mid range "Confort" mobiles (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms etc) and the "discounted" price was €5,198 down from the RRP of €6,110.

Never thought I'd see a mobile home anywhere on planet earth which cost €1,732 a week to rent :eek:

Much and all as I love our French campsite holidays if I was prepared to spend the guts of €7,000 on a holiday (which it'd be with ferry + diesel to get there and back) I don't think I'd be renting a mobile home!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't blame you. It looks like a nice site but prices seem incredibly expensive. I checked pricing for 3 weeks in July in one of the mid range "Confort" mobiles (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms etc) and the "discounted" price was €5,198 down from the RRP of €6,110.

Never thought I'd see a mobile home anywhere on planet earth which cost €1,732 a week to rent :eek:

Much and all as I love our French campsite holidays if I was prepared to spend the guts of €7,000 on a holiday (which it'd be with ferry + diesel to get there and back) I don't think I'd be renting a mobile home!! :o

Ah sure we take two of them:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Jaysus... We'd be going in June, to keep in the cheap fares.. don't think when I looked that they were much more than any other site.. I think there is more chance in me spending that much money then getting wife and kids onto Santander ferry lol..

Jaysus... We'd be going in June, to keep in the cheap fares.. don't think when I looked that they were much more than any other site.. I think there is more chance in me spending that much money then getting wife and kids onto Santander ferry lol..

June should be much cheaper as in my experience the sites are a lot quieter in June. We went in June last year but switched back to July this year as there were very few Irish/UK kids my daughters age (13) for her to make friends with in June. July is totally different and much more vibrant.

If I was going to spend close to €7,000 on a holiday I'd want a lot more comfort than a mobile home, particularly the contortions of getting in, out and around the small double bed you typically have to put up with!!

June should be much cheaper as in my experience the sites are a lot quieter in June. We went in June last year but switched back to July this year as there were very few Irish/UK kids my daughters age (13) for her to make friends with in June. July is totally different and much more vibrant.

If I was going to spend close to €7,000 on a holiday I'd want a lot more comfort than a mobile home, particularly the contortions of getting in, out and around the small double bed you typically have to put up with!!

Tour de France is happening last weekend of June and first 2 wks of July and is in the Il de Re region 6,7,8 July in that area. Might explain the high costs.

If we go, our friends with similar age kids will keep them entertained.. bringing babysitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Tour de France is happening last weekend of June and first 2 wks of July and is in the Il de Re region 6,7,8 July in that area.

Great, heading to Bonne Anse Plage so just around 30 / 40 mins from Le Tour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

raddo wrote: »
    Great, heading to Bonne Anse Plage so just around 30 / 40 mins from Le Tour!!!

The Tour de France is actually passing right outside the gates of Bonne Anse Plage on 7th July 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Baybay

raddo wrote: »
    The Tour de France is actually passing right outside the gates of Bonne Anse Plage on 7th July 2020!

Been on the route for a few of the tours & it can be quite entertaining even though the riders whizz past!
    Road restrictions tend to be well enforced & in place from what seems quite early on, in relation to when the riders are expected to pass. Times & restrictions are usually signposted in advance of the day on affected roads so do plan ahead if you’re going to need your car that day.
    Roads do tend to reopen very quickly once the race has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

See Brittany Ferries are open for 2020 bookings, for me €200 cheaper! than IF.

medic112 wrote: »
    See Brittany Ferries are open for 2020 bookings, for me €200 cheaper! than IF.

Came in at €1,370 for me which is almost €100 more than Stena and Rosslare is an easier spin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anyone flown to bordeaux

campsite cote d'Argent in Hourtin Plage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

anyone flown to bordeaux

We stayed at Cote d'Argent last summer but drove. Got Ferry Dublin to Cherbourg.

If you have specific questions ask away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

anyone flown to bordeaux

Bordeaux airport is a nice size easy to get through etc

anyone flown to bordeaux

Bordeaux airport is a nice size regional airport which is easy to get through but a bit tricky to get to if driving depending on what direction you are coming from. We holiday in La Reserve and over the last few years our oldest has flown in and out for a week with a pal during our stay. Bordeaux Airport is about an hours drive and handy enough most of the way bar skipping across a couple of motorways and some tricky roundabouts and exit ramps as you approach the periphery of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’ve always brought my car cause if does feel like you have more freedom and can bring more over.

But has anybody flown (young family aged 5-10) and found that they didn’t look back or miss the ship? Suppose just looking to see if some year we should just fly!

anyone flown to bordeaux

Flew out from Bordeaux a few years ago. It's an ok airport

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve always brought my car cause if does feel like you have more freedom and can bring more over.

But has anybody flown (young family aged 5-10) and found that they didn’t look back or miss the ship? Suppose just looking to see if some year we should just fly!

We started flying 3 years ago, best thing ever. Extra 3 days holiday at the site, kids prefer it. Kids were 4 & 6 when we first flew.

Also found it cheaper than the ferry, even with car rental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Prefer flying to ferry TBH. Did Brittany on Rosslare-Roskoff ferry a few years ago and it was an awful experience, especially with young kids and no cabin in one direction.

Did Union Lido in Italy and used public transport from Treviso. Very doable & didn't miss the car at all.

Did Salou & bused from Barcelona. Absolutely no need at all for a car.

Did Duinrell in Holland last year. Suntransfers to get to the site and public transport after that.

Back on the ferry this year for Brittany. Time will tell if we ever do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

fdevine wrote: »
    Prefer flying to ferry TBH. Did Brittany on Rosslare-Roskoff ferry a few years ago and it was an awful experience, especially with young kids and no cabin in one direction.

Did Union Lido in Italy and used public transport from Treviso. Very doable & didn't miss the car at all.

Did Duinrell in Holland last year. Suntransfers to get to the site and public transport after that.

Back on the ferry this year for Brittany. Time will tell if we ever do it again.

Not to drag off topic but what did you think of Duinrell?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deeman83

A ferry without a cabin is like a plane without a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

at least get a cabin this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

flew last couple years, 3 kids 5-12, will never go boat again, much easier on all concerned and cheaper too. You can also pick parks which are only 1 hour away which is a godsend

Advertisement