Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ryanair are also letting go between 500-700 staff

Buy why is that an issue, companies let go of staff all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Buy why is that an issue, companies let go of staff all the time

Staff have gone on strike the last couple of summers, so I don't bother with them anymore. No guarantee with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Staff have gone on strike the last couple of summers, so I don't bother with them anymore. No guarantee with Ryanair

that's true and especially to France. We already booked with aer lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

that's true and especially to France. We already booked with aer lingus

We've actually opted to fly to Barcelona or girona and drive north in the past, due to the French air traffic controllers tendency to strike during holiday time every year

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

I'm no lover of Ryanair but Aer Lingus have had staff issues with strikes too.
    Aer Lingus/Ryanair/BA are as likely to be on strike next summer as any other airline.

If French air traffic control strike you probably won't make a flight to Barcelona as many of those flights were cancelled.

Book which ever are the best value and timed flights for your family, don't second guess airline industrial relations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CheerLouth wrote: »
    It's in for repairs apparently. Mr. CL was due to go out tomorrow night on it but Victor Tracy's rang to say it is in for repairs & now he has to landbridge through the UK and go from Portsmouth :(

Luckily I had given him the heads up from this thread so he was prepared for it - thanks! :D

According to marinetraffic.com the Connemara is in Santander right now. It would have suited me a lot better to hang on for it than drive up through France to get home. We were told there was no sailing back to Cork until 3rd October. The Brittany Ferries website says the sailing back to Cork tomorrow is booked out. I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

WB Yeats on the way to Dublin from Cherbourg for its last run before it switches to Holyhead. The Epsilon takes over the Dublin-Cherbourg route from Monday.

It should be a quieter time but cabins on the Epsilon are booked out on almost every sailing in October. I'm looking to make a trip but will probably have to use Stena from Rosslare.

Oh well; I wonder how much business Irish Ferries are losing because the Epsilon doesn't have enough cabins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Ring Irish Ferries to try a booking, they sometimes have cabins not shown on website, maybe for truckers? Worth a phonecall. Worked for me in the past.

kindalen wrote: »
    Ring Irish Ferries to try a booking, they sometimes have cabins not shown on website, maybe for truckers? Worth a phonecall. Worked for me in the past.

Yeah, might try that next week.

Another thing I've noticed is that both IF and Stena go to/from Cherbourg on the same days so even fewer travel options. And here was I thinking that Brexit was going to significantly enhance the connections with France!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

The departure times from Cherbourgh are earlier for next year, 4.30! Barely had enough time this year with the 5 o'clock sailing. The OW used to be 6 o'clock which was perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Hi, anyone stay or have dealings with lifestyle Holidays UK?

Prices same good for France in July with 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

medic112 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone stay or have dealings with lifestyle Holidays UK?

Prices same good for France in July with 20% off.

Yes.
    Used them a few years ago with no issue.

Actually booked with them again for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for Ferry and Drive holidays in France. Would be for Summer 2020 with an almost 8 year old and a 9 month old (well they will be at that point).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Most of the providers are selling 2020 accommodation already. Eurocamp/Canvas/Al Fresco etc. etc.

Ferry schedule are released and prices/booking will go live in the next couple of weeks if not live already. Options from Cork, Rosslare & Dublin.

Driving is likely to be 2-3 hours for Brittany and obviously more the further south you go. Weather is better the further south you go but lot of the sites have covered or indoor pools.

Lots of advice and discussion here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057621952

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The above thread has been a great source of info for us since we started planning in 2015 to go to France for Summer 2016 for the first time.

Have a read of some of it or even ask any questions there.
    Our favourite Campsite is St. Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne but it is a bit of a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Thanks to you both, I will check out that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

BF have cancelled the Santander to Cork sailing tomorrow evening - just in case anyone else was hoping it might go in spite of Lorenzo

CheerLouth wrote:
    BF have cancelled the Santander to Cork sailing tomorrow evening - just in case anyone else was hoping it might go in spite of Lorenzo

Unlikely to be the only cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

jay0109 wrote: »
    Wow, Stena have upped their game.
    €1,445 to France....out late June, back mid July. 2 + 4 in 1 x 4 berth inside cabin.

I'll not be booking that!

New fuel regulations for 2020 - guessing they're trying to pass on the costs of the more expensive fuel.

Stena have been making noise to freight companies about it since start of the summer

https://www.stenalinefreight.com/-/media/Files/Freight/Broschure/Seca_brochure_2019_for_web.pdf?la=en-GB-freight

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Irish Ferries have opened bookings for summer 2020.
    They are offering a discount of 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

manshay wrote: »
    Irish Ferries have opened bookings for summer 2020.
    They are offering a discount of 10%.

€1700 for 2 adults and 4 kids going out at the end of June and back mid July

That's after the discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

€1,780 for 2 + 4 late June, back mid July, after discount. Includes a €48 'environmental' charge. Thanks Greta!

I won't be booking at those crazy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Wow ! That's expensive !!
    We are going to Italy for 2020 but will be back on the Ferry in 2021.
    Last Summer it was €1,200+ for our Dates Out 3rd Week June and back mid-July. We had €1,000+ in Tesco Tokens which made it very easy.

But €1,700+ is a big jump !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

€1,780 for 2 + 4 late June, back mid July, after discount. Includes a €48 'environmental' charge. Thanks Greta!

I just had a look at booking the same trip as this year. Works out the same although we only booked in Feb this year
    Edit: trip was out end June, back middle of July

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Irish ferries offering price of €712 for 2 ad 2ch out 6th of June for 18 nights..

Happy enough. Was 926 last yr same dates.

Stuck on campsite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cabins are more expensive tbis year, I think.
    3 beds, no window,start at €124 .
    Out the 5th Aug. and back the 20th for three with a motorhome coming in at €852 including €91 discount.

Stena from Rosslare , same dates, €755

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Anyone know when Brittany Ferries summer schedule will be released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Anyone know when Brittany Ferries summer schedule will be released ?

I received an email from them, "Our full 2020 schedules will be available later in October and we’ll be in touch again soon with more details".

They've sailed to Roscoff at 4pm on Saturdays for as long as I can remember but Santander is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

I won't be booking at those prices either, but it's a bit off the mark to blame a 16 year girl who's speaking up for her generation for this.
    It's our, and previous generation's fault.

Advertisement