Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

sheriff2 wrote: »
    I have not read this complete thread, but I cant believe the **** the protesters seem to be getting from everyone. People in work, at football, in the gym moaning about these protests. If some of the scientific facts are correct are we not all ****ed in the next 10 - 15 years ! Who cares if you are late into work, enjoy it - you have an excuse!

Am I missing something ?

You missing he fact that you are being lied to when you read that we’re all fcuked in 10-15 years.

The vast majority of reputable science and bodies have a far more incremental change mapped and one that can be mostly mitigated against by incremental changes in society.

You are being lied to by an alarmist group who basically want to be out scaring people to get them selves some notoriety.

Have a look.

https://youtu.be/pO1TTcETyuU

People are indeed fed up of this alarmist mid representation of information by a group happy to disrupt ordinary lives so they can have their carnival.

They are destroying proper reasoned discussion on environmental issues and should be ashamed of their lies and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hurrache wrote: »

the post disruption beatings need to be kept on the lighter scale

we don't want to create any martyrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Hurrache wrote: »

That ER scumbag should be locked up. Kicking someone in the head is not on.

That being so, what a great show! Glad to see it. These morons don't speak for the average person and can expect plenty more of ordinary people rising up against them. I can just imagine what would happen on my bus if one of them tosspots tried to glue his nutsack to the door or whatever it is they do to claim attention.

If some of the scientific facts are correct are we not all ****ed in the next 10 - 15 years !

Nope. The ER claims of doomsday happening in 12 years are complete and utter bolloxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

The video of the guy being pulled off the roof of the train by commuters it seems is very damming in that under ground station.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/17/video-moment-extinction-rebellion-protester-dragged-off-tube-canning-town-10933401/

• Advertisement

The video of the guy being pulled off the roof of the train by commuters it seems is very damming in that under ground station.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/17/video-moment-extinction-rebellion-protester-dragged-off-tube-canning-town-10933401/

I'm just waiting for people to come along and tell us it's good that people are getting kicked in the head in the name of climate change. "It raises awareness"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Nope. The ER claims of doomsday happening in 12 years are complete and utter bolloxx.

Thought they were saying that it will be a point of no return where the damage will not be able to be undone. The scientists are also saying this.
    Interpreting it that the world will end in 12 years is unnecessary hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

evil_seed wrote: »
    So hypocritical. Causing delays on people using public transport, which is good for the environment.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it, Public Transport and an Electric Train, dopey fcukers.
    They might think twice before pulling stunts like that again.

It's quite short sighted and stupid to protest on public transport, not just because it quickly turns people against you when they're just trying to go to work / go home, but also because public transport is something that should be promoted and encouraged as the go to mode of transport as opposed to private vehicle ownership.

These fringe protest groups are always really bad at delivering their message and are full of contradictions.

In reality they're usually just angry people who just want to **** up everyones day to spread the misery and they do untold damage to every campaign that they join.

20Cent wrote: »
    Interpreting it that the world will end in 12 years is unnecessary hyperbole.

Tell it to the protesters I've seen with placards saying explicitly this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In reality they're usually just angry people who just want to **** up everyones day to spread the misery and they do untold damage to every campaign that they join.

Absolutely correct. It is disappointing that ordinary people had to step in to do the job of the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Our little alarmist friend and chief pusher of the end of civilisation in 10 years bolloxology is now telling everyone on social media that extinction rebellion should break the law

This from the kid who bunked school and is now swaning around the US on a free trip fetted by the likes of the UN, Bono and other wealthy patrons

If you dont have an twitter / Instagram account just one newspaper - the Sun seems to be carrying the story so far

What a great example this kid is to other children - Quit school and break the law and dont forget to lecture the adults how they have ruined your future :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The stunt on the train top was extremely stupid and dangerous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

branie2 wrote: »
    The stunt on the train top was extremely stupid and dangerous

Pair of wealthy white males preventing the working class and minorities from earning a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Pair of wealthy white males preventing the working class and minorities from earning a living.

These environmental cases are going down like a lead balloon with the general public who can generally see them for what they are, woke upper middle class prilgrims with way too much time on their hands searching for some sort of meaning in a post traditional religious world, trustifarians, and dole fuelled professional protesters, the same crew that attend antifa marches, commies basically. Then there are the ones that are paid to protest. The general public also see the establishment giving them an easy ride, almost as if it wants them to protest so they can offer the solution (taxes and punitive laws that restrict freedom).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MrAbyss wrote: »

A lot of people are starting to get pissed of with this lot in the UK and not just in London ...
     It’s all about white middle-class people protesting about something that might happen.”

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/466960-climate-change-protests/page/32/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gozunda wrote: »
    A lot of people are starting to get pissed of with this lot in the UK and not just in London ...

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/466960-climate-change-protests/page/32/

Not the first time I've seen this criticism, the Canadian's were wondering why Greta got all the celebrity spotlight at the UN when their own first nation activist (basically a non white Greta Thunberg) got absolutely no recognition and this despite protesting on environmental issues that have been ongoing for decades and not some despotic future that can be changed if we all eat grass instead of meat and travel by chariot.

I believe 'white saviour' is the term they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can't believe anyone wants to go to work that badly

People who aren't Trustafarians generally need to work to pay the bills

Can't help but notice our bold hero on the train threw a kick at the lad trying to get him off. Peaceful protester mor dhea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Bambi wrote: »
    People who aren't Trustafarians generally need to work to pay the bills

Can't help but notice our bold hero on the train threw a kick at the lad trying to get him off. Peaceful protester mor dhea
    Kick the working class in the teeth and keep them down :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

>snip tosh<
    If some of the scientific facts are correct are we not all ****ed in the next 10 - 15 years ! Who cares if you are late into work, enjoy it - you have an excuse!

Am I missing something ?

You are missing quite a bit. Let me put it to you in a way you might understand. The average annual temperature in Ireland is 10° C. The average annual temperature in Sydney is 20° C. Since people in Sydney seem to manage to live with the awfullness of being able to plan a barbie, weeks or months in advance, I think it's safe to say people in Ireland might just manage.

So, the current global average temperature is about 14.5° C In the past, when the icecaps didn't exist, the global average was 20 - 22° C.

So if you can live with predictable barbecues, swimming an outdoor lifestyle, you probably will manage to get by just fine.

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Kick the working class in the teeth and keep them down :eek::eek:

The filthy proles should know better than to question their betters. After all, it's the poor's going on holidays to Spain, eating meat and not living in a hole in the ground which is causing this whole climate mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are missing quite a bit. Let me put it to you in a way you might understand. The average annual temperature in Ireland is 10° C. The average annual temperature in Sydney is 20° C. Since people in Sydney seem to manage to live with the awfullness of being able to plan a barbie, weeks or months in advance, I think it's safe to say people in Ireland might just manage.

So, the current global average temperature is about 14.5° C In the past, when the icecaps didn't exist, the global average was 20 - 22° C.

So if you can live with predictable barbecues, swimming an outdoor lifestyle, you probably will manage to get by just fine.

Even if climate change is a big hoax by George Soros (whoever he is) or whatever, what about the wanton destruction of nature and biodiversity and the consumption and pollution that's tearing our planet up at an alarming rate, which is also on ER's agenda?

It's probably been linked up here before (?) but I'm just reading about the celeb wankrs who have jumped on with ER. Stephen Fry, Olivia Coleman and Benedit SmellHerSnatch are all over this crap, meanwhile all have recently done Ads for BA, Heathrow and cars. And now
    But the celebrities, who have thrown their weight behind the group’s two week long disruption in London that has grounded flights and blocked roads, said they will not be silenced by being called “climate hypocrites”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/16/extinction-rebellion-celebrities-admit-hypocrites-backing-protests/

Of course they won't, they'll never shut up. They love themselves and anything that gets people paying attention to them is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glad to see someone opened a can of whoop-ass on those train idiots.
    It's good regular people see what these are really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We are all consumers and hypocrites but we need a new system or the Earth is f*cked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It's probably been linked up here before (?) but I'm just reading about the celeb wankrs who have jumped on with ER. Stephen Fry, Olivia Coleman and Benedit SmellHerSnatch are all over this crap, meanwhile all have recently done Ads for BA, Heathrow and cars. And now

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/16/extinction-rebellion-celebrities-admit-hypocrites-backing-protests/

Of course they won't, they'll never shut up. They love themselves and anything that gets people paying attention to them is good.
    Do as your told serfs ! We’ll just carry on regardless .

These people have really lost the run of themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

biko wrote: »
    Glad to see someone opened a can of whoop-ass on those train idiots.
    It's good regular people see what these are really like.

Protesters: You're not getting on this train.

Worker: I'll take my car so, we all will.

Protestors: OMG why won't you use the train?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

_Brian wrote: »
    You missing he fact that you are being lied to when you read that we’re all fcuked in 10-15 years.

The vast majority of reputable science and bodies have a far more incremental change mapped and one that can be mostly mitigated against by incremental changes in society.

You are being lied to by an alarmist group who basically want to be out scaring people to get them selves some notoriety.

Have a look.

https://youtu.be/pO1TTcETyuU

People are indeed fed up of this alarmist mid representation of information by a group happy to disrupt ordinary lives so they can have their carnival.

They are destroying proper reasoned discussion on environmental issues and should be ashamed of their lies and actions.

They're as bad as climate change deniers. There's no basis for their claims.

I think they're more anti-capitalist than pro-environment, they're using that as their vehicle to try and gain support. Bunch of fringe loonies. I came across some of their meetings in the street where they're doing their jazz hands, it's comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Even if climate change is a big hoax by George Soros (whoever he is) or whatever, what about the wanton destruction of nature and biodiversity and the consumption and pollution that's tearing our planet up at an alarming rate, which is also on ER's agenda?

Climate change isn't a hoax, the climate is changing just like it has been doing for thousands of years. The earth heats up and cools down in cycles, recently the sun has increased it's energy output so there'e going to be a heating up to some extent..

The debate is how much humans are responsible for it. I can't take scientists too seriously just google the predictions that never became true over the last 40 years.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nothing to do with Soros, (very rich currency trader) he's probably one of the good(ish) guys. I think there should be a lot less destruction of forests - but it's mostly happening in Asia and Brazil, not Ireland or the UK. Same with all forms of pollution - protesting in London or Dublin is pointless. We are not the problem:

River-plastic-oceans.jpg

ER's agenda might contain some worthy concerns, but that doesn't make it palatable in terms of their ridiculous demands. The lot of them should just FOAD.

An experiment was done in the UK - an early reality TV show - where some volunteers tried to recreate an iron age settlement. The show and the project was abandoned because a significant number got sick, got malnutrition, and it was so soul-destroyingly miserable many just walked off. ER want everyone to live like that. I don't, so they can **** off.

Advertisement