Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,538 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blinding wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1191803/London-news-jubilee-line-canning-town-fight-video-extinction-rebellion-protest

Extinction Rebellion meet the Working Class = Only going to be one winner there !

Protests that disrupt the lives of the general public are rarely going to be met with positivity.
    The vast majority of working people lead a life that is timed very fine. When you disrupt this your causing them to be late for work, miss hospital appointments, late home from work, late to pick up kids from cre , late to pick kids up from football or dancing or whatever. People won’t stand for this.

Particularly when it’s an organisation who have admitted they are full of nonsense and only using their alarming language to gain attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yay, beating protestors rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can't believe anyone wants to go to work that badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair, some were probably heading home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

For lots of folk it helps when they're trying to feed the kids and pay the mortgage.

I can't believe you actually typed that. Then again you support the Greens and they have come out with some incredibly stupid stuff lately.

I can't believe you actually typed that. Then again you support the Greens and they have come out with some incredibly stupid stuff lately.

I also support the greens, but they do come out with clangers from time to time, same as all the rest though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

What about self employed people who don’t get paid if they don’t actually get do the work like plumbers, electricians, builders?

You’re ignorant and selfish and have no regard for normal people trying to just get by and feed their families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yay, beating protestors rocks!

Certainly does here.

lola85 wrote:
    Certainly does here.

Not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hurrache wrote: »

Great to see normal people come together and batter a common foe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A lot of people in London are self employed / agency / zero contract hours .

They will not get paid if they do not get to work and may even lose their jobs .

Elite-est Extinction Rebellion types would of course not be aware of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

So hypocritical. Causing delays on people using public transport, which is good for the environment.

blinding wrote:
    Elite-est Extinction Rebellion types would of course not be aware of that .

I'd imagine many work in precarious employment, it's fairly common nowadays, particularly amongst younger generations

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's ironic that our bunch would be seen as civilised in comparison. The sad but predictable outcome is that this will not register and they will continue to do what they've been doing all along, wilfully disrupting people's lives. I'm reluctant to use word cult but I think we have reached that point unfortunately.

evil_seed wrote: »
    So hypocritical. Causing delays on people using public transport, which is good for the environment.
    Extinction Rebellion are just pain Dumb and we are supposed to pay heed to them :eek::eek:

When the public has turned against you, you've lost completely.

is_that_so wrote:
    When the public has turned against you, you've lost completely.

I'd imagine the majority of people are still for major action to reverse our destruction to the planet, but many of course would not be for this approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As I said week ago if not longer I don’t agree with them targeting public transport.

Hurrache wrote: »
    To save people giving the Express clicks

Wish they would just sod off, sit in a field and talk to the grass or something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sheriff2

I have not read this complete thread, but I cant believe the **** the protesters seem to be getting from everyone. People in work, at football, in the gym moaning about these protests. If some of the scientific facts are correct are we not all ****ed in the next 10 - 15 years ! Who cares if you are late into work, enjoy it - you have an excuse!

Am I missing something ?

As I said week ago if not longer I don’t agree with them targeting public transport.
    They are brain deads .

The Public will not follow Brain Deads .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

When you think about it, the dinosaurs went extinct but the planet continued on.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the majority of people are still for major action to reverse our destruction to the planet, but many of course would not be for this approach
    It's a monumentally stupid approach and it risks tarring any other attempted message in the same way. Meanwhile we have a plan. Getting people on board with that and how it might be implemented is far more likely to achieve success.

sheriff2 wrote: »
    I have not read this complete thread, but I cant believe the **** the protesters seem to be getting from everyone. People in work, at football, in the gym moaning about these protests. If some of the scientific facts are correct are we not all ****ed in the next 10 - 15 years ! Who cares if you are late into work, enjoy it - you have an excuse!

Am I missing something ?
    Zero contract workers /agency workers / self employed people will be in no way impressed with your contribution .

Pissing off the public to try and get policy changed is stupid. Plenty of people care if they are late for workparticularly people on zero hour contracts or the self employed for example.
    Am I missing something ?
    Lots apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sheriff2

blinding wrote: »
    Zero contract workers /agency workers / self employed people will be in no way impressed with your contribution .

Fair point

• Advertisement

Am I missing something ?
    The fact that they have waning support and have ludicrous unmeetable demands.
    Protests generally don't work and all they do, increasingly here, is discommode people going about their normal lives. That's not a terribly bright long-term strategy.

Advertisement