Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I’m quoting from the Bible. When it says it is written, it’s usually referring back to an earlier prophesy. I’m surprised you take umbrage with this element, which if you were in any way educated on what you are so quick to rubbish, you would be aware of this historically common literary device.

I am well aware of the device in question, I am explaining why it is a rubbish and contrived one. So my education is not in question here, the efficacy of rhetorical devices of delusion are.
    Also, when I say ‘a fool says in his heart there is no God’ I’m quoting King David.

Again.... I know this. That does not change my point at all. The point being that when one knows their position has no substantiation, or one knows they are peddling nonsense, then one knows a recourse open to them is to start insulting people who do not buy into it.

It is, and has been, a 101 device for charlatans for centuries. Sure we even do it in our advertising today. "our low low prices.... you would be mad to miss it!".

When your product or argument does not stand on it's own two feet, the common move is to place the failing on the mark rather than the source. Don't buy our product... YOU must be mad. Don't believe our nonsense unsubstantiated claims? YOU must be a fool.
    He was a prophet and the second King of Israel, chosen by God.

You have not evidenced, even a tiny bit, the claim there even is a god. So second tier claims about what that god did, said, or chose are fantasy and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I am well aware of the device in question, I am explaining why it is a rubbish and contrived one. So my education is not in question here, the efficacy of rhetorical devices of delusion are.

Again.... I know this. That does not change my point at all. The point being that when one knows their position has no substantiation, or one knows they are peddling nonsense, then one knows a recourse open to them is to start insulting people who do not buy into it.

It is, and has been, a 101 device for charlatans for centuries. Sure we even do it in our advertising today. "our low low prices.... you would be mad to miss it!".

When your product or argument does not stand on it's own two feet, the common move is to place the failing on the mark rather than the source. Don't buy our product... YOU must be mad. Don't believe our nonsense unsubstantiated claims? YOU must be a fool.

You have not evidenced, even a tiny bit, the claim there even is a god. So second tier claims about what that god did, said, or chose are fantasy and nothing more.

The evidence is all around you in every thing that exists and has ever existed. It’s staring you in the face.

If some previously unknown ancient culture was discovered today, and a library’s worth of original books, letters, poems, folklore, genealogies, testimonials and histories was found from different points in a wide gambit of history in the sort of abundance we have in Christianity, including original documents predicting things that then occurred and were accounted for 600 years later, atheists here would be all over it saying its true because we have proof. There is literal tonnes of documentary evidence from dozens of sources over thousands of years, some of which has been compiled into the book we call the Bible. There is also tonnes of architectural and archeological evidence that the events of the Bible occurred. Christianity is woven into the fabric of Mankind’s history.

The evidence is all around you in every thing that exists and has ever existed. It’s staring you in the face.

That is circular. What is the evidence that god created all of everything? The evidence is all of everything?

That is like walking into a court and when asked "What is the evidence the accused committed the murder" you answer "The murder!"

You are re-framing the question as evidence for your answer to the question in other words. A standard circular argument error. As fallacious as it is common alas.
    There is literal tonnes of documentary evidence

Now you have moved on to telling me there is loads of evidence without actually citing one shred of it. How is that helpful?

If you want to work through the evidence with me, cite some of it and we will evaluate it. I am all ears, I am here for you, my time is your time.

If you are going to take the "There is loads go find it yourself" approach however, you are on your own here. I am not doing your job for you.
    There is also tonnes of architectural and archeological evidence that the events of the Bible occurred. Christianity is woven into the fabric of Mankind’s history.

None of which is evidence that the claims are true though. For example if someone 2000 years from now were to dig up the books about Jason Bourne..... they will turn to architectural and archaeological and historical evidence and find that much of the text is validated.

Will that mean Jason Bourne actually existed, or the events related to him are true? No. It will not.

You see MUCH if not MOST fiction is set against a background of real events, real people, real politics, real buildings, real locations and real history. It remains fiction none the less.

I have no doubt that much of the events and locations referenced in the Bible are historical realities therefore. But that does not mean Jesus existed or.... if he existed..... that he was anything more than human or that he had magical powers.

To evidence THOSE claims you need more than the Bible affords you. Just like someone 2000 years from now claiming Jason Borne existed, would need more than the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

To evidence THOSE claims you need more than the Bible affords you. Just like someone 2000 years from now claiming Jason Borne existed, would need more than the novels.

Not sure if we're currently arguing whether God exists or whether Jesus existed.
    Jesus probably existed. Two separate gospel traditions attest to it and Josephus does too. We take it that other historical figures probably existed on less evidence than that. Him being God is an altogether different issue, of course.

As for God, there is clearly evidence that such a being exists. Literally, millions of people have described direct experience with him or her. Now, you might not rate that evidence very highly but evidence it is. If a city had a spate of murders and millions of people said they saw Mr. X commit those murders, you can bet the police would take those claims as evidence and investigate. Even if they found no further evidence, they might even take Mr. X to trial based on it alone. Of course, they may not get a conviction. After all they have no proof, which is what I think you're actually looking for even though you keep saying 'evidence'. Looking for proof in an issue that is quintessentially about belief is a fool's errand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Mousewar wrote: »
    Not sure if we're currently arguing whether God exists or whether Jesus existed.
    Jesus probably existed. Two separate gospel traditions attest to it and Josephus does too. We take it that other historical figures probably existed on less evidence than that. Him being God is an altogether different issue, of course.

As for God, there is clearly evidence that such a being exists. Literally, millions of people have described direct experience with him or her. Now, you might not rate that evidence very highly but evidence it is. If a city had a spate of murders and millions of people said they saw Mr. X commit those murders, you can bet the police would take those claims as evidence and investigate. Even if they found no further evidence, they might even take Mr. X to trial based on it alone. Of course, they may not get a conviction. After all they have no proof, which is what I think you're actually looking for even though you keep saying 'evidence'. Looking for proof in an issue that is quintessentially about belief is a fool's errand.

There were literally hundreds of people named Jesus at that time, Jesus is a variant of Joshua who was a great Jewish hero. There were also multiple messiahs, faith healers, magicians, call it what you will, because the Messiah was due any day. As for Josephus, it is considered by many Biblical scholars and antiquarians that his account of Jesus is interpolation.

If a spate of murders was witnessed by millions of people there would be a common thread, there would be bodies. There is no tangible evidence that God exists so all you have left is the imagination of man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

I believe in myself

Seems a few people are switching between the two. I am not entirely convinced he did exist. But I am not against the idea either. I quite suspect someone existed to whom the text is referring..... but his story has been amalgamated with other stories and legends of the time.

As a user above me noted, the names were common. The occupation of preacher was also not uncommon at the time either. While worse, distribution of information was more often word of mouth and not written and certainly not electronic. Which means many stories passing from mouth to mouth would get amalgamated or misapplied.

Many things ascribed to him have been previously ascribed to others, were ideas and legends common at the time, or were requirements (due to prophecy) which could likely have been fitted to the narrative to validate it.

I reckon it was a mash up of all of the above. But given the specific title and topic of this thread.... to answer your question..... it is the claim Jesus, if he existed, was anything more than entirely and completely human that I was taking up with the two users above.
    Josephus does too.

Many issues with him though, which I could link to if you want a read through. Or if you look for the posts from oldrnwisr right here on boards.ie who details those issues far more eloquently and completely than I ever have.
    As for God, there is clearly evidence that such a being exists. Literally, millions of people have described direct experience with him or her. Now, you might not rate that evidence very highly but evidence it is.

Anecdote is not really evidence no. At least not directly of any specific claim. Anecdote in large numbers is evidence that there is SOMETHING worth studying there to explain. But it is not evidence of any one conclusion that you might invent to explain that anecdote. You just happen to explain those anecdotes with "god". I could just as easily invent the claim that those experiences are directly sent to our brain by our lizard overlords.

It is an error and a fallacy.... but alas an all too common and human one.... to leap to a conclusion first, then fit the anecdote to it later and believe the anecdote evidences the conclusion. It does not. Anecdote shows SOMETHING is worth explaining there, but it does not explain it.

The same is true of anything, lest you think I am just biased against a god here. Take UFOs for example. People will cite the wealth of anecdote experiencing UFOs as evidence for their conclusion it is alien space craft. This is the same error. The wealth of anecdote tells us SOMETHING is going on, and it is likely worth investigating. But it is not evidence for a conclusion someone, or some group, have simply leapt to.

All that said however, where are these "literal millions" of people exactly? Not only do I not find anecdote to be evidence, I am not finding the anecdotes. Certainly SOME people have claimed direct experience of a god, but at most I have seen this in the 100s not the 1,000,000s. Or are you conflating ANY faith in a god as "direct experience"? What data source are you drawing on here?
    If a city had a spate of murders and millions of people said they saw Mr. X commit those murders, you can bet the police would take those claims as evidence and investigate.

Exactly my point above! The would take the wealth of personal testimony as a trigger to investigate. That is as it should be.

Having investigated and found no evidence of any kind for the claim this "millions of people" are making however, should they be pursuing a conviction? You said yourself you doubt they could get one.

Anecdote and personal testimony IS evidence but not of the conclusion. It is evidence of something worthy of investigation.

Your analogy fails on one point however. At least in your analogy you can verify there actually was a murder. You have at least god the dead bodies right? So when you follow up on the testimony of this fantastical "millions" of people.... at least you are following up on murders you know happened.

With the testimony you are attempting to make this analogous with, you have not even got the bodies. You have millions of people saying they saw a murder..... but the police are showing up and are not only failing to find evidence X committed the murders, but failing to find evidence the murders even happened at all! NOW the analogy tracks.
    After all they have no proof, which is what I think you're actually looking for even though you keep saying 'evidence'. Looking for proof in an issue that is quintessentially about belief is a fool's errand.

I long ago dropped the word "proof" from my demands and discussions with theists. The sentence I usually use these days is "Have you any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that lends even a modicum of credence to your claim a non-human intelligent and intentional agent is responsible for the creation of and/or ongoing maintenance of our universe?".

The answer, quite consistently, has so far been no. They don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

pearcider wrote: »
    Only a poor student of history would apportion blame to Christianity for these things. It was actually diseases that wiped out the native peoples and while the explorers of the world were Christians, they mostly explored for economic reasons. More gold than god. Now perhaps you believe that man should have remained practicing the hunter gatherer way of life and remained in balance with nature and perhaps that is exactly what Adam and Eve renounced. But that is another story.

However to suggest that the great mass murdering ideologies of the 20th century namely Fascism and Communism were in any way Christian is just plain wrong. If anything they were perversely anti Christian and anti Jewish and demanded subservience to a technocratic and controlling state and not to a divine God.

It was the western peoples of the US and Britain that were devoutly Christian albeit secular. Both President Roosevelt and General Eisenhower wrote famous prayers during world war 2 and attended mass daily. Stalin by contrast actually launched a 5 year atheist plan to eliminate the church in Russia (it failed and drive it underground) and Hitler was a well known atheist. What’s more the inner circle of nazism like Goebbels, Goring and Himmler hated Christianity in particular and are widely quoted as saying so.

The suggestion was that Christianity was the great civilising influence in history, I dispute this. Great barbarity was practised by those professing to hold the Christian faith, often indeed with the active participation of the Church.
    The colonisation of Latin America where the native peoples were given the choice to convert or suffer death either at the stake or by drowning , strangulation or other ghoulish means was , in all but name a Crusade.
    Even Nazi Germany was a Christian country, but committed mass genocide on a scale never previously witnessed in human history excluding perhaps those committed by God himself.
    North America and the forced removal of the native peoples from their homeland and sources of food and shelter, the long forced marches through frozen wildernesses without adequate food and water, these were all perpetrated by "Christians".
    So while there may have been good individuals within Christianity, Christianity in itself, was not the great civilising influence it's made out to be. Other faiths and none have had equally good individuals.
    Finally, I find it hard to believe that either Eisenhower or Roosevelt attended daily Mass as neither was RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I don't know if god exists, nobody has managed to prove it either way so far, when I say god I'm referring to the conventional image of a personal god. How would we prove it anyway?, it\he\she would have to make itself known to us somehow.

On an intuitive level the interpretation of god described below from the esoteric form of Buddhism makes more sense to me.

https://blavatskytheosophy.com/what-does-theosophy-say-about-god/

I have atheist and agnostic friends who are still open-minded to the possibility of consciousness beyond death even though they have no time for a personal god. Just because something hasn't been proven and established in mainstream science doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't true.

In the case of NDE’s, while they don't prove the existence of an afterlife (at least not yet), those who have experienced them claim that the experience of the separation of body and spirit is firsthand proof to them of an afterlife.

These claims are further supported by the fact that in many documented cases the subject could hear conversations or see things in other rooms and other places, which are later confirmed and verified to be remarkably accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There was more evils perpetrated by the Christians than anyone else.

Think about it, the highest order's throughout history in the Christian churches were evil personified.

Their minions were kept quiet and subdued with fear and damnation told if they do what's right they'll get to heaven and then the leader's raping pillaging and slaughtering through civilisations...

Ethnic cleansing, torturing and starving people to submitting.

It's all a crock of ****e, there's nothing good about it, nothing.

It's just all part of the pyramid of power,and hopefully some day we'll live in a just society.

Unfortunately not in my lifetime.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    As for Josephus, it is considered by many Biblical scholars and antiquarians that his account of Jesus is interpolation.
    The bit about him being the one true Christ is certainly an interpolation. The previous bit, mentioning his crucifixion is not generally dismissed. Could you dismiss it? Yes, but you can dismiss most history from this time like this. History was constantly being recorded with some political or religious slant. Historians see that and on balance, it generally the view that someone named Jesus, around whom a following grew and was cast in the role of Messiah as many were, probably, on balance existed.
    If a spate of murders was witnessed by millions of people there would be a common thread, there would be bodies. There is no tangible evidence that God exists so all you have left is the imagination of man.
    Well the effects would be the world and existence itself, according to the believers. But that's off the point. Testimony is and always has been considered evidence.

Seanachai wrote: »
    In the case of NDE’s, while they don't prove the existence of an afterlife (at least not yet), those who have experienced them claim that the experience of the separation of body and spirit is firsthand proof to them of an afterlife.

And in fairness to them you can understand why. When you feel you have left your body, or even just part of your body, it is massively off putting. It is really hard to process it.

Mild examples of this are easy enough to produce too. With nothing more than a piece of cardboard, a fake hand, and a feather you can have the experience that the fake hand is your real hand. And when the "switch" happens in your brain it is difficult to explain just how weird it is.

And that is when you are in full control of your faculties. Many of these experiences happen in medical settings, or drug settings, or going in or out of sleep, and so forth. When people are not really in their most critically clear. So this makes it even harder to process.
    These claims are further supported by the fact that in many documented cases the subject could hear conversations or see things in other rooms and other places, which are later confirmed and verified to be remarkably accurate.

Unfortunately the method of verification is often very poor indeed. Which renders many such anecdotes suspect. When actual controlled studies are done to ensure verification is sound.... suddenly the patients in question are not seeing things in other rooms and places any more. Wonder why :)

That said though, our brain filters out a lot much of the time. It does not present to you everything coming into your senses. If those filters get compromised or knocked off line for any reasons, it is no surprise you might suddenly start hearing or seeing things you normally would miss.

A rabbi on the "god exists" side of a a god debate I watched once was talking about this. He has an autistic son who can recount the contents of conversations that happened several rooms away. I suspect his son may have not got filters you and I do, rather than him having super human hearing per se.

Testimony is and always has been considered evidence.

And I repeat, lest the point get lost in my longer post above, that it IS evidence. It is just not evidence for the conclusions that are parcelled with the testimony. At all.

When many people recount a similar experience, that is evidence there is SOMETHING worth investigating. That is valid and logical.

What happens though is people pick a conclusion and declare the testimony is evidence of that conclusion specifically. That is invalid and fallacious.

Testimony is evidence, just not how, why and in the way many people seem to think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

And I repeat, lest the point get lost in my longer post above, that it IS evidence. It is just not evidence for the conclusions that are parcelled with the testimony. At all.

When many people recount a similar experience, that is evidence there is SOMETHING worth investigating. That is valid and logical.

What happens though is people pick a conclusion and declare the testimony is evidence of that conclusion specifically. That is invalid and fallacious.

Testimony is evidence, just not how, why and in the way many people seem to think.

Can you summarize this in layman's terms please.

The suggestion was that Christianity was the great civilising influence in history, I dispute this. Great barbarity was practised by those professing to hold the Christian faith, often indeed with the active participation of the Church.
    The colonisation of Latin America where the native peoples were given the choice to convert or suffer death either at the stake or by drowning , strangulation or other ghoulish means was , in all but name a Crusade.
    Even Nazi Germany was a Christian country, but committed mass genocide on a scale never previously witnessed in human history excluding perhaps those committed by God himself.
    North America and the forced removal of the native peoples from their homeland and sources of food and shelter, the long forced marches through frozen wildernesses without adequate food and water, these were all perpetrated by "Christians".
    So while there may have been good individuals within Christianity, Christianity in itself, was not the great civilising influence it's made out to be. Other faiths and none have had equally good individuals.
    Finally, I find it hard to believe that either Eisenhower or Roosevelt attended daily Mass as neither was RC.

I don't think people really grasp how devastating Christianity was to their pagan ancestors, there's also a false perception that the pagan civilisations were technically and socially unsophisticated savages before the xtians came along.

The inner circle of the Nazi regime subscribed to occultist beliefs which were often subverted forms of esoteric Buddhism and elements of Western occultism.

nthclare wrote: »
    Can you summarize this in layman's terms please.

I thought that is what I just did.

But take NDE as an example. Many people testify that when they are unconscious on a hospital bed that they get unusual experiences, and these are similar experiences across much of the testimony.

So the testimony is evidence SOMETHING is happening there, worth studying.

People claiming they it is evidence of an after life however are parcelling a pre-decided conclusions WITH the testimony. Declaring that the testimony validates THEIR explanation for that testimony. Which is fallacious.

"10,000 people saw a UFO, so evidence shows something is going on, lets find out what!" --> Valid.
    "UFOs are alien space craft, and the evidence for this is 10,000 people testify to seeing a UFO!" --> Not so much.

Jesus stuff

I answered this in another post. I studied all these texts many moons ago in uni. Again, the reference to someone called Jesus matching the description from the gospels is generally not dismissed. Like all history of the time it is not considered certain but it is not dismissed.
    Anecdote is not really evidence no. At least not directly of any specific claim. Anecdote in large numbers is evidence that there is SOMETHING worth studying there to explain. But it is not evidence of any one conclusion that you might invent to explain that anecdote. You just happen to explain those anecdotes with "god". I could just as easily invent the claim that those experiences are directly sent to our brain by our lizard overlords.
    It is an error and a fallacy.... but alas an all too common and human one.... to leap to a conclusion first, then fit the anecdote to it later and believe the anecdote evidences the conclusion. It does not. Anecdote shows SOMETHING is worth explaining there, but it does not explain it.

These people are not describing Lizards. They are describing a personal, human like entity. They are not describing an experience but an actual interaction. And you cant just use the word anecdote because it makes it seem flimsier. This people are describing seeing or hearing a deity. It is not an anecdote, no more than a witness saying they saw a man in a particular area on a night of a crime would be said to be telling an anecdote.
    The same is true of anything, lest you think I am just biased against a god here. Take UFOs for example. People will cite the wealth of anecdote experiencing UFOs as evidence for their conclusion it is alien space craft. This is the same error. The wealth of anecdote tells us SOMETHING is going on, and it is likely worth investigating. But it is not evidence for a conclusion someone, or some group, have simply leapt to.

People who saw they saw a flying saucer is evidence that flying saucers exist. People who say they saw aliens is evidence that aliens exist. Again, you might not rate it as strong evidence but evidence it is. You analogy only works if someone sees "something" in the sky and concludes it is an alien spacecraft which is not what we are talking about. We're talking about people claiming to see and interact with aliens/God.
    All that said however, where are these "literal millions" of people exactly? Not only do I not find anecdote to be evidence, I am not finding the anecdotes. Certainly SOME people have claimed direct experience of a god, but at most I have seen this in the 100s not the 1,000,000s. Or are you conflating ANY faith in a god as "direct experience"? What data source are you drawing on here?

Have I exaggerated? Perhaps. I can think of dozens of people myself who claim direct interaction with God. There are also ample accounts of such interactions in history including apparitions. I extrapolated that to millions. Perhaps thousands is better? Either way, there are a lot of such people.

Your analogy fails on one point however. At least in your analogy you can verify there actually was a murder. You have at least god the dead bodies right? So when you follow up on the testimony of this fantastical "millions" of people.... at least you are following up on murders you know happened.
    No, the witness says they saw Mr X and the corpses are his product. Likewise, the theist witness says they saw God and world and everything in it is a product of that God. Again, I'm not asking you to except this as proof but the analogy holds.

I long ago dropped the word "proof" from my demands and discussions with theists. The sentence I usually use these days is "Have you any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that lends even a modicum of credence to your claim a non-human intelligent and intentional agent is responsible for the creation of and/or ongoing maintenance of our universe?".

The answer, quite consistently, has so far been no. They don't.
    Again, testimony is evidence. You can't just call it anecdotes and dismiss it. Either these people are delusional or mistaken or mentally unwell or maybe something exists to match their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find it fascinating that Nazis could be both atheists and worshipers of satan .

All I've learned here is that many people don't understand what evolution is, nor atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

As for God, there is clearly evidence that such a being exists. Literally, millions of people have described direct experience with him or her.

Yes, contradictory and conflicting direct experience of God, Allah, various Hindu gods, etc. etc.

Logically, most of these people are wrong about what they experienced, since these various gods cannot all exist. If Jewish God exists, then Jesus, Mary and the Holy Spirit do not. If Shiva exists, Allah does not.

So we know for a fact that billions of people believe false religions and millions have direct personal experiences of those false religions.

Now someone needs to show that one of the many thousands of religions is true using some other kind of evidence.

Yes, contradictory and conflicting direct experience of God, Allah, various Hindu gods, etc. etc.

Logically, most of these people are wrong about what they experienced, since these various gods cannot all exist. If Jewish God exists, then Jesus, Mary and the Holy Spirit do not. If Shiva exists, Allah does not.

So we know for a fact that billions of people believe false religions and millions have direct personal experiences of those false religions.

Now someone needs to show that one of the many thousands of religions is true using some other kind of evidence.
    Christian God and Jewish God are the same God - they'll just argue over the divinity of Jesus as the son of god. Anyway, they hardly contradict each other.

Anyway, the argument here would merely be that all these religions are describing the same God and just calling him different names and ascribing different parts of their own culture to him. God is a Plato Form basically and all these religions interpretations of him shadows on the cave wall.

• Advertisement

And in fairness to them you can understand why. When you feel you have left your body, or even just part of your body, it is massively off putting. It is really hard to process it.

Mild examples of this are easy enough to produce too. With nothing more than a piece of cardboard, a fake hand, and a feather you can have the experience that the fake hand is your real hand. And when the "switch" happens in your brain it is difficult to explain just how weird it is.

And that is when you are in full control of your faculties. Many of these experiences happen in medical settings, or drug settings, or going in or out of sleep, and so forth. When people are not really in their most critically clear. So this makes it even harder to process.

Unfortunately the method of verification is often very poor indeed. Which renders many such anecdotes suspect. When actual controlled studies are done to ensure verification is sound.... suddenly the patients in question are not seeing things in other rooms and places any more. Wonder why :)

That said though, our brain filters out a lot much of the time. It does not present to you everything coming into your senses. If those filters get compromised or knocked off line for any reasons, it is no surprise you might suddenly start hearing or seeing things you normally would miss.

A rabbi on the "god exists" side of a a god debate I watched once was talking about this. He has an autistic son who can recount the contents of conversations that happened several rooms away. I suspect his son may have not got filters you and I do, rather than him having super human hearing per se.

I've never had an NDE, I've spoken to people who have though and they seem very credible. I experience pre-cognition in dreams from time to time myself, not vague scenarios that are just likely to happen, but things like images of streets in places I've never been before and the faces of people I've never met before as well as things like a specific piercing and clothing they have etc.

I realise that this phenomenon or life beyond death isn't dependent on god existing though, our ability to measure our reality is dependent on the technology we currently have available to us. Maybe some are just more attuned in this regard, this is a good sci-fi film on the subject.

https://www.netflix.com/ie/title/80115857

I can understand agnostics and atheists who are still open-minded to non-ordinary reality. I can't understand the 'settled-science' brigade who just take an absolute position that god in any form or consciousness beyond physical death could not exist.

I find it fascinating that Nazis could be both atheists and worshipers of satan .

All I've learned here is that many people don't understand what evolution is, nor atheism.

I can't see where anybody mentioned satanism, are you confusing occultism with satanism maybe?

Edit; Just saw the post mentioning Himmler being a satanist. I've never come across any mention of him being a Satan worshipper, he was an occultist though. Satanism is an invention of Christianity, often used to justify getting rid of troublesome people, the modern movement is basically atheism with rituals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

People who say they saw a flying saucer is evidence that there exists a person who says they think they saw a flying saucer and noting else.

Like all history of the time it is not considered certain but it is not dismissed.

Which is exactly where I said I am at. I am far from convinced a single person existed but happily open to it. I reckon it is a mix to be honest. Such a person existed but much of what we ascribe to him is likely an Amalgamation of him, others, legends at the time, and expectations from things like prophecy.

That said though, more people than you appear to be allowing for do argue that he did not exist at all. Some quite strongly and convincingly. Actually that reminds me I bought and own Richard Carriers "On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt" and have never gotten around to reading it :) Must do that.
    These people are not describing Lizards. They are describing a personal, human like entity.

So? The fact people who believe in Lizard people believe they are in full human disguise aside.... the point I am making is that I could make up ANY explanation for a collection of anecdote, and simply declare the explanation is validated by that anecdote. It is still a fallacious move to make.
    And you cant just use the word anecdote because it makes it seem flimsier.

Maybe ask me why I use particular words rather than presuming to read my mind and my intent. I use that word because it is valid to use. I do not see the word as a diminutive so I literally could not use the word with the intention you invent on my behalf.

I ALSO use and used the word testimony it should be noted, but seemingly you focus only on one word I use and ignore the others I use which is telling. You are slipping into ad hominem now and away from the topic in other words. However if we want to get linguistically pedantic: "Anecdote: a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person."
    This people are describing seeing or hearing a deity.

If you say so because, despite my asking, you have not actually cited a source. However I doubt they are "are describing seeing or hearing a deity". What I would expect is that they "are describing seeing or hearing" something, and they are deciding it was a deity. Again as I said before: packaging the explanation WITH the anecdote is a fallacious move to make here.

I rarely doubt their experience, which is not true of many skeptics. I am happy to take their experience and description of it entirely at face value. Just not their explanation for it, or worse someone ELSES explanation for it, when it is based on nothing at all.
    People who saw they saw a flying saucer is evidence that flying saucers exist. People who say they saw aliens is evidence that aliens exist. Again, you might not rate it as strong evidence but evidence it is.

Again not really because what they generally claim to see is UFO. That is UNIDENTIFIED flying object. By definition they did not identify it, and based on that lack of identification they claim to have identified it. That's messed up. Calling it a "flying saucer" does not make it one. Anecdote is not evidence, but it certainly does not alter reality either.

People claiming to see fairies at the end of their garden is not evidence fairies exist. It is at most evidence they saw SOMETHING and through lack of any evidence or data on what it was.... they have decided to identify it with the term "fairy". It is not evidence for anything more than that.

If a large number of people testify to seeing it too, it is evidence SOMETHING there is worth investigating. Again: Nothing more.
    You analogy only works if someone sees "something" in the sky and concludes it is an alien spacecraft which is not what we are talking about.

But it is. Exactly. People are seeing "something" (they claim) and concluding it is a god. Same thing exactly!
    Have I exaggerated? Perhaps.

No idea until you offer the citations I asked for. I suspect you have though, quite massively. Testimony of direct interactions of that sort are quite rare in my experience. They had a woman on the Late Late show a few years back because she claims to talk to angels. If millions of people were doing that, I doubt they would have bothered making her a feature on prime television. People tend to end up on shows like that due to being the exception, not the norm.

There are MANY theists in my circles, friends, family, social, political and more. I can not think of a single one claiming any direct experience. That you can think of "dozens" sounds unlikely but even if true says more about the circles you move in, and I do not, rather than it does about the number of people generally actually making such claims.

But without sources, more I can not say.
    Perhaps thousands is better? Either way, there are a lot of such people.

1000s is not really a lot though. Sounds like a lot, but compare it with the BILLIONS of people who ever existed and exist today. It becomes in the face of such numbers a statistical non-entity then.

And that is before we get into the many.... many many many many..... issues on how such testimony and anecdote is compiled and collated and evaluated.
    Again, I'm not asking you to except this as proof but the analogy holds.

It really doesn't. Again: With the analogy that a number of people witnessed a murder, you can at least establish the murder actually happened. When people are claiming they witnessed a god, you can not establish a god even exists. The analogy fails for that reason. To make the analogy valid you have to, as I said, have many people claiming to witness a murder but the police can not even validate a murder occurred. THAT analogy would be valid.

But analogy is not evidence either, so it is a moot point really.
    Again, testimony is evidence. You can't just call it anecdotes and dismiss it.

Again, I did not suggest testimony is not evidence. And I did not "just" call it anecdote nor did I "dismiss it".

What I actually said was that testimony IS evidence, we should not dismiss it, but it is NOT evidence for the conclusions that come pre-packaged with the testimony/anecdote in question.
    Either these people are delusional or mistaken or mentally unwell or maybe something exists to match their experiences.

I think it is all of the above and more. The testimonies you speak of are quite diverse. Which is another area your "murder" analogy breaks down. When many people witness the same murder they generally give nearly the same account. Testimonies of interactions with what they claim to be deities tend to be quite varied both in content AND context.

In terms of context some are on death beds while dying or unconscious. Others are while under the influence of legal/and or illegal narcotics. Others while ill or medically compromised in other fashions. Some are meditating or seeking altered states of consciousness in other fashions. And so on and so on.

In terms of content the testimonies tend to be varied too. Did the deity actually speak for example? Not always. Many apparitions of Mary for example have Mary simply grinning inanely but lovingly at you.

So I would be wary of explaining away such testimonies too readily with any one brush. I think many such people are delusional. While many OTHER such people are likely mistaken like the NDE neurosurgeon who wrote a book about his NDE. Others are likely unwell.... I mean we know people often have mental or biological issues leading them to hear voices. Even us WELL people hear voices to a degree, from our own internal monologue. While other people are likely lying to us and attention seeking.

I could go on for many pages more coming up with explanations. But the post is long already. Suffice to say I think there is a diverse WEALTH of explanations for such testimonies. What we do not have at this time, to my knowledge unless you know otherwise..... is a shred of an iota of any arguments, any evidence, any data, or any reasoning to suggest that the explanation for their experiences is a visitation from a powerful non-human intentional agent with a seemingly obtuse set of priorities.

The problem is not that these anecdotes are not evidence of god therefore. It is that the people giving those anecdotes CLAIMING that it was an experience of god is not evidence of a god. The problem is again not the testimony, it is the packaging of a pre-assumed conclusion with the testimony that is the big fail.

AllForIt wrote: »
    People who say they saw a flying saucer is evidence that there exists a person who says they think they saw a flying saucer and noting else.

Why does it take me 10 paragraphs to say what people like yourself can manage in one sentence? :) I do try, but it always ends up a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Your problem is that your argument is being countered with evidence from the Bible. . Because I believe in what this book says, you must accept it as empirical evidence. So logic is being refuted by belief. Some might say this is reductio ad absurdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

AllForIt wrote: »

Objectively yes but they may also be externalising superstitions, particularly as many sightings occur in sparsely populated rural areas where, in the vast silence, the mind plays tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Christian God and Jewish God are the same God - they'll just argue over the divinity of Jesus as the son of god. Anyway, they hardly contradict each other.

Nonsense.

Christians have a tonne of experience of seeing/talking to Jesus and Mary and being inspired by the Holy Spirit. If the Jews are right, Jesus and Mary are simply long dead and the Holy Ghost never existed.

Not one word of Christianity makes sense if Jesus was not the Son of God and did not rise from the dead. The early Christians state that clearly in the Bible.

The mere existence of some generic Creator does not make Christianity true, it makes it a horrible joke.

I've never had an NDE, I've spoken to people who have though and they seem very credible.

I think most of them are very credible too. I genuinely think they had an experience and I genuinely think it felt like what they claim it felt like.

What I do NOT see any evidence for is that what it felt like is what it actually was. Just because they felt like they left their body..... an experience anyone can have using the right meditation practices, drugs, or physical perturbations..... is not remotely evidence that they actually did.
    I experience pre-cognition in dreams

I have read a lot about such dreams and I doubt there is much going on there but a mix of factors related to memory and facial recognition. Such as:

1) Thinking you have not seen a person or place before when you actually did.
    2) The brain finding a face or street familiar because it is similar to ones seen before.
    3) Retrospective modification of the memory of a dream to fit with an experience AFTER the dream in question.

And so on. These are all things we know happen in other contexts. Well documented. So I see little reason to expect it is not also what is happening there.
    I can't understand the 'settled-science' brigade who just take an absolute position that god in any form or consciousness beyond physical death could not exist.

I can not speak for them, not being one of them. If I meet such a person I will be sure to ask them for you though.

• Advertisement

Your problem is that your argument is being countered with evidence from the Bible.

The one I love is when they claim the prophecies in the old testament were fulfilled in the new testament.

Yeah that happened in Lord of the Rings books too. Prophecies were made in the early books and were fulfilled in the later books.

Strangely I was not compelled to stop thinking of the LOTRs as fiction when this occurred however.

Advertisement