Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Versus New Zealand Build Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Loved that game. The week before my phone was hopping during the second half as every Paddy I'd ever met decided to get in touch. During that match, silence ðŸ˜

One of the worst days ever. I have a bad feeling about this weekend coming into it now unless its all been a ruse or weather realted. The way we couldn't deal with the pace of Japan was very reminiscent of playing New Zealand on bad days like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Which prompts the question : how good is Ryan really.
    His starting place, and importance to the team is not in question. However, while he came with great trumpeting, and took superbly, and immediately, to international level rugby, at a young age, where does he really rank today as an international 2nd row? Today, not the potential he might reach in another 5 years at his pick. I'm not sure. Would he make the NZ, SA, or English starting teams? I think not. So very good and all as he is, is he of the level that can give reasonable expectations he is a plus for us against those top teams? I'm kinda thinking not. Were we dazzled by the duck to water transition to high level rugby and the evident potential, and remarkable opening win streak? How would he compare with Paulie even?

LOL! STFU.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    100%

There are a couple of locks from the USA, Uruguay and Tongan teams I'd have in there ahead of him at this stage.... A bit of a one trick pony and I think he's been found out on international stage...

We need someone who's above international standard to replace paulie

Is this a joke?

James Ryan does everything he is instructed to do. He does it at a level above Henderson, POM, Stander. He's the rugby players player. Watch the game with any proper rugby man (like former AIL captains and pros and people involved in Ireland) all i hear are oohs and ahhs when Ryan is watched. He's not overrated at all. Like Ryans not going to make breaks in a Joe Schmidt team. He averages 15 dirty carries a game, and 15 tackles. I think he will get better. He's not as monstrous in the carry maybe then he could be but again its the systems that we play. I think if Ryan is overrated its scary to think what we think of other players...

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1167845242361528320

Please tell me ye lads are joking.

Would be a bit of a disaster if he's out. Imagine the lols if Kleyn came in or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I have to agree, I think Ryan is one of our most important players, he is unbelievable and its scary how young he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

The no.1 problem is if we do manage to beat new zealand it will be a blood and guts effort .....which means were gonna be deflated against an England team who in my opinion are gonna absolutely pump Australia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    He's the rugby players player. Watch the game with any proper rugby man

This is going to end well....

The no.1 problem is if we do manage to beat new zealand it will be a blood and guts effort .....which means were gonna be deflated against an England team who in my opinion are gonna absolutely pump Australia

Yeah that will be the crux of it. France 2015 times 100. Tears after, beans blown. The defeat to Japan not only meant New Zealand, but also this scenario.

If we beat New Zealand, that's our World Cup final. And sure in fairness its probably good enough.

Which prompts the question : how good is Ryan really.
    His starting place, and importance to the team is not in question. However, while he came with great trumpeting, and took superbly, and immediately, to international level rugby, at a young age, where does he really rank today as an international 2nd row? Today, not the potential he might reach in another 5 years at his pick. I'm not sure. Would he make the NZ, SA, or English starting teams? I think not. So very good and all as he is, is he of the level that can give reasonable expectations he is a plus for us against those top teams? I'm kinda thinking not. Were we dazzled by the duck to water transition to high level rugby and the evident potential, and remarkable opening win streak? How would he compare with Paulie even?

Well look who made an NZ rwc team...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116622723/three-all-blacks-in-the-rugby-world-cup-team-of-the-pool-stages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

100%

There are a couple of locks from the USA, Uruguay and Tongan teams I'd have in there ahead of him at this stage.... A bit of a one trick pony and I think he's been found out on international stage...

We need someone who's above international standard to replace paulie

Agreed. He’s just a short arse version of Devin Toner.

aloooof wrote: »
    This is going to end well....

?:confused: ok proper rugby man is bad phrasing...i meant know more than some arm chair player like myself.

I watch matches regularly with 2 AIL captains and Ireland club players, one former Leinster squad member and i have a friend involved in Ireland. They all say Ryan is the best player they've ever seen in terms of just determination and work rate. And they all played with Johnny Sex. Yeah if you could throw a bit of Wally, POC, Drico, SOB in there but thats not how the world works!

Ok syd was probably being sarcastic fair enough, meant more at ROL

Its like a comment the sarcastic lad on here would post.

Anyway lets move on and pretend this conversation never happened. We all know James Ryan is ****ing fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

But England if they win will be in the same boat, was it Billy V walking around in a moon boot? A late hit on Farrell who knows. Either way, play like its the final Saturday and if we win, patch up and play on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

All that team has done is get me thinking about the Lions in 2 years time.
    Itoje Ryan 4/5 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've been pretty critical of the Irish team and Joe and his style this year and some of his selections have puzzled me - Klyne - - but I have a sneaky fealing about this one , we might crawl under the radar and catch an unprepared All Blacks, maybe just maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

pc7 wrote: »
    I have to agree, I think Ryan is one of our most important players, he is unbelievable and its scary how young he is.

Importance and scarily young, don't necessarily add up to being a serious threat to the top teams. Of course our best chance is with him playing. No dispute on that. My point is, what does this tell us about our chances, if despite that, he is still a level below those he will be competing against in the key games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Are we doing predictions? Here's mine.

It'll be a tight game. We're going to drag NZ into an arm wrestle of a game. We'll end up chasing the game around the 65 min mark and NZ will run up a margin of 16 points or so. The final score will flatter NZ but won't represent how close the game was

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

I think NZ will get a couple of quick tries and it will be game over in the first 20 mins

Importance and scarily young, don't necessarily add up to being a serious threat to the top teams. Of course our best chance is with him playing. No dispute on that. My point is, what does this tell us about our chances, if despite that, he is still a level below those he will be competing against in the key games.

But he's not a level below? If Ryan is a level below of our opponents we might as well give it up as he's one of our best performers.

If New Zealand build a score we don't have the gameplan to play catch up.

We need to score early and double down on our boring inch by inch playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

evil_seed wrote: »
    Are we doing predictions? Here's mine.

It'll be a tight game. We're going to drag NZ into an arm wrestle of a game. We'll end up chasing the game around the 65 min mark and NZ will run up a margin of 16 points or so. The final score will flatter NZ but won't represent how close the game was

That sums up about 80% of most All Black tests. They are ruthless at scoring more than they "deserve".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I think NZ will get a couple of quick tries and it will be game over in the first 20 mins

well that will be their aim to kill off the irish threat asap

.......if ireland are still in the game by half time i give them every chance

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

They will undoubtedly target Sexton and Murray. Think Carberry should play to confuse them.

But yes if NZ get 3 tries in quick succession it will be game over. Repeat of England Ireland game in the warm ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

let me know if you want a phone stream link ;)

Good chance you'll get a decent live stream on YouTube

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I believe everyone is fit, and there will be no surprise selections.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That's not really a problem. Ireland will have gotten to the semi finals which is the realistic achievement they want. Beating NZ in the World Cup would be a dream come true. And who knows how an Ireland v England semi final would go - England have beaten Ireland in the last few matches, but Ireland will have fire in their bellies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It'll be interesting to see if Joe chooses Kearney or Larmour at 15.

Personally I'd like to see Larmour get the nod, I think he bring an extra level or unpredictability which we will need to beat the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I believe everyone is fit, and there will be no surprise selections.
    You spoke too soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

davo2001 wrote: »

Personally I'd like to see Larmour get the nod, I think he bring an extra level or unpredictability which we will need to beat the All Blacks.

Really has to be Kearney for this match doesn't it? Larmour is great at attacking, unpredictable and has a better chance of line breaks etc, but Kearney really can't be beaten in terms of his intelligent defensive cover.

Plus, Larmour and Carberry on the bench means two utility backs. Luke McGrath coming on for Kearney against Japan caused some confusion in the last 10 minutes which, IMO, meant they weren't able to effectively regroup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Really has to be Kearney for this match doesn't it? Larmour is great at attacking, unpredictable and has a better chance of line breaks etc, but Kearney really can't be beaten in terms of his intelligent defensive cover.

Plus, Larmour and Carberry on the bench means two utility backs. Luke McGrath coming on for Kearney against Japan caused some confusion in the last 10 minutes which, IMO, meant they weren't able to effectively regroup.

If we are to stand any hope it should really be Sexton and 10 and Carbery at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

If we are to stand any hope it should really be Sexton and 10 and Carbery at 15

It really shouldn’t..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

davo2001 wrote: »

Bobster will start. Nothing surer. Unpredictable is not an asset in the serious rugby that now faces us.

• Advertisement

Doing the rounds again on Twitter for the day that's in it, hopefully he shines down again on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsRugby/status/789073708836990977/video/1

Advertisement