Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 4 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Murph_D wrote: »
    You were lucky - just dust it off, thank your guardian angel and keep it going. Maybe take a few easy days but sounds like no harm done. Turn it into a positive - you escaped an injury.

Edit - didn’t notice 00negatice’s response - what he said first! ;)

Yep just not convinced yet I have avoid injury as still some pain. Going to take an extra rest day tomorrow and then power on and see how the rest of the weeks running goes.

Glad I didn't come out with head injury to be honest as head brushed off ground last, some minor scuffs there but glad got arms out to breaks the fall a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Quite tired last week, at least in the early part. Final 22 miler this Sunday. I eased off the Weds session a little with this week (weather - handy excuse). 14 miles at MP next week is a little daunting. Can't believe the expo is only a few weeks away.

ISOP - well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Quite tired last week, at least in the early part. Final 22 miler this Sunday. I eased off the Weds session a little with this week (weather - handy excuse). 14 miles at MP next week is a little daunting. Can't believe the expo is only a few weeks away.

ISOP - well done.

How you going to approach the 22 mile?
    I think I'll go with the mostly steady miles and last few at MP rather than 10 easy then 10 at MP and 2 easy at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ewc78 wrote: »
    How you going to approach the 22 mile?
    I think I'll go with the mostly steady miles and last few at MP rather than 10 easy then 10 at MP and 2 easy at the end.

What's the logic behind changing the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What's the logic behind changing the plan?

There's two options in the final LR on the meno plan.... either 10easy, 10mp or all steady with the last few @mp. Think I'll go for the second option too. It's what I chose last yr anyway....

• Advertisement

22 miles and last long run done...
    15 miles at a 9:25 mile pace then 7 miles at a 8:50 pace . Yeah I ran the MP section a bit fast and was paying for it the last mile but I was feeling good so just went with it.
    Cant believe only 3 weeks left. Still have plenty of doubts I'll actually go under 4 but at this stage I can't really do much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

15 miles at a 9:25 mile pace then 7 miles at a 8:50 pace . Yeah I ran the MP section a bit fast and was paying for it the last mile but I was feeling good so just went with it.
    Cant believe only 3 weeks left. Still have plenty of doubts I'll actually go under 4 but at this stage I can't really do much more about it.
    Sounds like you are in great shape, of course you will do it

ISOP wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in great shape, of course you will do it

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wouldn't have managed another 4 miles today so that kind of thing puts doubts in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Did the first ten miles MP, first run back since the sickness and hit a wall at 14km, struggled through with a lot of walking to 23.5km and then called it a day. Heart and lungs had plenty more but muscles and joints gave in, will go to the doctor this week and may end up on antibiotics, very much a confidence hit but I know I have the aerobic capacity. Race against time now to get the body right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wouldn't have managed another 4 miles today so that kind of thing puts doubts in my mind.

Trust your taper. That was a cracking run today, it's supposed to gas you at this stage of the process, so put the doubts to bed. With fresh legs after a good taper you will smash sub 4.

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote: »
    Trust your taper. That was a cracking run today, it's supposed to gas you at this stage of the process, so put the doubts to bed. With fresh legs after a good taper you will smash sub 4.

Thanks. Hope your right.

Last year was a disaster, it couldn't have gone any worse.
    It's a bit like when you finally get a date with that hot girl you've been asking out all summer, but then the date is a disaster, but you get a chance at a second date and you start thinking what if it all goes wrong again!!
    For the record I'm a happily married 40 year old with 3 kids whose days of chasing women is well gone! The hot girl now is a sub 4 Marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, I am in the same boat as I had a cracking HM at 1:46:12 at the Fast Lane Half Marathon (3+ minute PB) on a fast flat course, and then I did my last (of 3) 20 Mile/32K LSR yesterday at a 6:05 per KM pace (probably a tad too fast) and I was pretty tired at the end of it, so within a week I went from 'yes I can do this' to 'if you are struggling to get 20 miles done at 6:05, what chance have you of doing 26 miles at 5:40 per KM?'

I did a little under 4:08 at the DCM last year and I think that shaving off that 8 minutes now seems like a big jump for me. I am probably a bit jaded after weeks and weeks of running and the effects of racing a PB for the HM probably also took its toll on me yesterday, but there is no more that I can do, as I don't plan to push myself any harder in the coming weeks and 'trust in the taper' and put Holy water in my water bottles for the day..... :rolleyes:

In some ways having a tough run yesterday has probably took a bit of pressure off me as I know how hard it will be to break 4:00, but I will still have a good go at it anyway....as I am a bit 'thick' that way.......conservative start, strong finish is still the plan. This Taper stuff will save us all..... :)

smashiner wrote: »
    Yep, I am in the same boat as I had a cracking HM at 1:46:12 at the Fast Lane Half Marathon (3+ minute PB) on a fast flat course, and then I did my last (of 3) 20 Mile/32K LSR yesterday at a 6:05 per KM pace (probably a tad too fast) and I was pretty tired at the end of it, so within a week I went from 'yes I can do this' to 'if you are struggling to get 20 miles done at 6:05, what chance have you of doing 26 miles at 5:40 per KM?'

I did a little under 4:08 at the DCM last year and I think that shaving off that 8 minutes now seems like a big jump for me. I am probably a bit jaded after weeks and weeks of running and the effects of racing a PB for the HM probably also took its toll on me yesterday, but there is no more that I can do, as I don't plan to push myself any harder in the coming weeks and 'trust in the taper' and put Holy water in my water bottles for the day..... :rolleyes:

In some ways having a tough run yesterday has probably took a bit of pressure off me as I know how hard it will be to break 4:00, but I will still have a good go at it anyway....as I am a bit 'thick' that way.......conservative start, strong finish is still the plan. This Taper stuff will save us all..... :)

The more I read hear the better I feel that others are in the same boat, hindsight I shouldn't have tried to run 32km at 5:40 pace yesterday. My own fault really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The more I read hear the better I feel that others are in the same boat, hindsight I shouldn't have tried to run 32km at 5:40 pace yesterday. My own fault really

Have you read any of this thread at all?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Have you read any of this thread at all?

Not until very lately no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Still on the fence here whether to go for the sub 4.

I’ve had a few cracking long runs in the last few weeks including a 10 mile on Saturday with 10 mile at 8:55. The rest of the miles were at around 10:00-10:25

I finished strong and had a more in the tank but I don’t have the sub 150 half (1:51:29 ratoath a few weeks back like everyone on tired legs).

Not until very lately no

Ah, no worries. Had you mixed up with someone else!

Bluesquare wrote: »

I’ve had a few cracking long runs in the last few weeks including a 10 mile on Saturday with 10 mile at 8:55. The rest of the miles were at around 10:00-10:25

I finished strong and had a more in the tank but I don’t have the sub 150 half (1:51:29 ratoath a few weeks back like everyone on tired legs).

It’s tight alright based on the HM but why not go for it anyway? Nothing to lose?

There’s certainly nothing wrong with 10 @ 8:55 and the rest at 10+ if the 10 MP miles were the main focus of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m the same. My run on Saturday was 19.4 miles @ 9:11 min miles on average - it was a session with just 6 of the miles being easy. The other 13.4 ranged from 9:04 down to 8:40 and I could have kept going at the end. I messed up Charleville so my HM pb is 1:53:04 from June. I’ll be going out very conservatively in DCM but for the first time I’m wondering how close I could get to 4hr!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m the same. My run on Saturday was 19.4 miles @ 9:11 min miles on average - it was a session with just 6 of the miles being easy. The other 13.4 ranged from 9:04 down to 8:40 and I could have kept going at the end. I messed up Charleville so my HM pb is 1:53:04 from June. I’ll be going out very conservatively in DCM but for the first time I’m wondering how close I could get to 4hr!

One thing I'd say is go with honest self appraisal. We all know that what some people call easy isn't really easy. Only you know how much was left in the tank and how long you could continue at a particular pace. You ran that 13.4 miles at a bit slower than your HM race pace. If you were as comfortable as it seems then 4 hours is definitely on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    One thing I'd say is go with honest self appraisal. We all know that what some people call easy isn't really easy. Only you know how much was left in the tank and how long you could continue at a particular pace. You ran that 13.4 miles at a bit slower than your HM race pace. If you were as comfortable as it seems then 4 hours is definitely on.

Thanks S. I was comfortable enough to have a mad notion of continuing and doing another lap and doing marathon distance. I honestly I felt I’d have no issues doing it though I wasn’t thinking about a time or not sure I was even aware of what I was at (timewise) besides hitting the paces for each block of the session. Having said that I was certainly beginning to work a little towards the end. I’ve a feeling having no pressure on me helped no end though when it wasn’t a race and I was just doing a session. At the same time Saturday was an extremely pleasant surprise so hopefully I can get close to that again on fresh legs etc.

I'd go for it, I had a stinker in the half in my plan, missed target of 1:50 by 40 seconds but it was incredibly hard on the day, you'll get some bad runs with the good ones

I’d certainly think you can do it based on that run alright. Tbh if I was knocking out that run I’d be thinking MP is a good bit below 9 mins. As this is a Sub-4 thread I assume you feel you’re in that zone, and I strongly agree!

Another benefit of having completed a marathon training program. I obliterated my 5k pb last night taking it down nearly a minute to 20:43

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Meno's sting in the tail.

14 miles at MP (~8:34)

1:59:39 at 8:33
    8:53, 8:26, 8:29, 8:30, 8:30, 8:31, 8:32, 8:32, 8:36, 8:33, 8:33, 8:36, 8:30, 8:27.

:cool:

Hello taper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

8:53, 8:26, 8:29, 8:30, 8:30, 8:31, 8:32, 8:32, 8:36, 8:33, 8:33, 8:36, 8:30, 8:27.

Great session! Well done!

Fair play. I did mine yesterday morning. Averaged 8:46 pace over the 14 miles. Was delighted with how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Take that meno! Great stuff.

Anyone else feel like busting out a Marathon this morning after watching Kipchoge!
    Sure we only have to run at half that speed to get sub 4 :)

• Advertisement

Thinking I'll make the call now to just try 4:10 and avoid blowing up altogether for my first time attempting a marathon. Did my last long run last night - 30km averageing 6:25. I tried to push the last 10km to MP but it neded up going 5:45, 5:40, 5:47, 5:48, 5:51, 7:04, 7:17, 7:35, 8:47, 7:49, 6:40. Heart rate climed too high trying to push 5:40s

First 20km was averaging 6:11 pace and was comfortable enough, route had twice the elevation of the marathon route.

Advertisement