Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Didn't like Blinded by the light at all. Cringe overload. Movie didn't know what it wanted to be and just was messy. The dance numbers just didn't work at all. Badly filmed and edited. Looked really weird to me. Forced.

Some will like it I'm sure, but singing deep and meaningful lyrics at NF racists is not what you should be doing.

The parts where it is not a bad musical and he's not singing everything are quite good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Didn't like Blinded by the light at all. Cringe overload. Movie didn't know what it wanted to be and just was messy. The dance numbers just didn't work at all. Badly filmed and edited. Looked really weird to me. Forced.

Some will like it I'm sure, but singing deep and meaningful lyrics at NF racists is not what you should be doing.

The parts where it is not a bad musical and he's not singing everything are quite good though.

They should've called it "Blinded by the Shíte".

Amirite?!

The last act, last 45 minutes are excellent. If they didn't do the cheesy singing and dance numbers it would have been a great movie.

What were they thinking?

The Nal wrote: »
    They should've called it "Blinded by the Shíte".

Amirite?!

Blinded by the dreadful musical parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

They should've called it "Blinded by the Sh".

Amirite?!
    The last act, last 45 minutes are excellent. If they didn't do the cheesy singing and dance numbers it would have been a great movie.

What were they thinking?
    Blinded by the dreadful musical parts.

It was very cheesy in parts and the Bollywood style singing and dancing were particularly cringeworthy but for the most part it did what is said on the tin, a feel good coming of age film based around one guys love for Bruce.
    I quite enjoyed it but I wouldn't necessarily rush out to watch it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

endabob1 wrote: »
    It was very cheesy in parts and the Bollywood style singing and dancing were particularly cringeworthy but for the most part it did what is said on the tin, a feel good coming of age film based around one guys love for Bruce.
    I quite enjoyed it but I wouldn't necessarily rush out to watch it again

Thought it was decent but agree on the cheesy dance numbers

Story was good and pretty dark in parts esp the strict ways of the dad

Based on a true story too

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thought it was decent but agree on the cheesy dance numbers

Story was good and pretty dark in parts esp the strict ways of the dad

Based on a true story too

My other half used to live outside Luton and was trying to spot locations for most of the film :D

Yes it's based on his book
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greetings-Bury-Park-Race-Religion/dp/0747592942/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4SE4Y6V703JQ0E4BKWE3

.... if you remember 1980's Britain then the darker parts are pretty accurate, Luton had a big Pakistani/Muslim population and conversely a large National Front presence. You might remember the Luton Milwall football violence in the mid 80's when hooliganism was at its peak in Britain. By all accounts it was a pretty tough place back in the day, although there's always been a pretty large Irish contingent in it, they even have a paddys day festival

I thought it could have been much better if it had dropped the cheese and focused more on the darker parts

I wouldn't have had the characters singing, definitely no dancing, it looked really bad. And a lot less of the quoting Bruce lyrics.

Could have been great without that embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, read the book and I think they tried to spoonfeed the audience too much, with regards to how different lyrics had resonated with him at different points in his life. I think the music alone would have sufficed there, with maybe the odd lyric effect on the screen, but it was overkill for sure.

Still though, I guess for the young non-Springsteen fans out there it might have introduced his music to them when chances are otherwise they may never have been..... but a less saccharine film without the spoonfeeding would have accomplished that far better.

Liked the use of Independance Day in it. Felt that was well done.

Great book if anyone hasn't read it. Well worth the read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

On Monday, RTE gold will be playing all the Bosses hits....... All day to celebrate his 70th b'day :D

• Advertisement

On Monday, RTE gold will be playing all the Bosses hits....... All day to celebrate his 70th b'day :D

Concert Announce pending ha

Jesus bruce is 70

Such a shame he didn't tour this

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is on The Graham Norton Show this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is on The Graham Norton Show this week

This comes with a health warning, though - James Blunt is the musical guest on the show. :eek:

Bruce, Paul Rudd and Robert de Niro in for the interviews.

Yeah Bruce is just there to talk about the Western Stars movie.

"I didn't need little Bruce Springsteen"

2 mins

This comes with a health warning, though - James Blunt is the musical guest on the show. :eek:

Bruce, Paul Rudd and Robert de Niro in for the interviews.

I wish Bruce and James were both on from the start, too much De Niro, James Blunt is funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wish Bruce and James were both on from the start, too much De Niro, James Blunt is funny

Yep, I'd have happily watched more of Bruce and Blunt!

De Niro just didn't seem too interested to be there so wasn't a great watch.

Yeah Bruce is just there to talk about the Western Stars movie.

Is this getting a cinema release here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Is this getting a cinema release here?

Yes, one of those limited "one night only" events. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but a lot of cinemas have screenings on October 28th.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

That Bruce film looks insufferably self indulgent and quite boring.

sirmanga wrote: »
    That Bruce film looks insufferably self indulgent and quite boring.

As was the Broadway thing. Could only get through 3 or 4 songs of it.

Wish he toured the new album though. Loved the Devils & Dust tour even just as a means of bringing his EStreet music into more focus.

He was entertaining enough on Norton. Hes never been a great interviewee anyway, thats as good as he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

He was entertaining enough on Norton. Hes never been a great interviewee anyway, thats as good as he gets.

Although I don't understand the southern twang he has developed, for a man who is from, and living in, New Jersey. Maybe he talks like that now that he is wearing cowboy hats in his new movie.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Although I don't understand the southern twang he has developed, for a man who is from, and living in, New Jersey. Maybe he talks like that now that he is wearing cowboy hats in his new movie.

His Jersey "Joisey" accent has softened alright. I don't really think its southern though. Feeehold where hes from is nicknamed Texas though due to the amount of southern migrants.

Theres defo a "public Bruce" persona though. Always has been. He was nearly as bad as Dylan in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Touring very soon apparently

Hard to knw will it be US stadiums for 2020 and then Euro dates in 2021 or other way around or both ??

2x Croke Park dates next summer on sale in time for xmas

My insider source is saying 3arena

My insider source is saying 3arena

Interesting

I imagine solo and not with the ESB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

June 1 2020 will be the 35th anniversary of Bruce & E Street Band first ever show in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Interesting

I imagine solo and not with the ESB ?

People need to check what Bruce said at the weekend in London,social media and Bruce related websites are full of it.The chances of his next tour being a solo one is zero.

Advertisement