Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know anyone with bipolar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Am I wrong in saying OP claimed mental illness doesn't exist??

Total WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Gotta regulate

Like Warren g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm not sure. I have a sibling who was diagnosed, but who has also been diagnosed variously as autistic and schizophrenic. Which is the truth? I don't know. Refuses to engage with mental health services and is violent, controlling and abusive whatever the correct diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Vesta31

I'm bipolar. Diagnosed at 15, symptomatic since I was a child. All I can say is it ruined my life.

I'm medicated and stable but every day is still a struggle. The medication just keeps me stable enough to stay out of hospital or not be a danger to myself (which I'm grateful for)

I can rapid cycle through mood swings 10 times a day, I have constant symptoms like frustration and anxiety, I have chronic insomnia.

It stopped me from doing my leaving (because I was in hospital) and now I'm too drugged up to have any hope of passing exams or even studying. That's if I was even able to get to any kind of leaning facility without panic attacks or being so sleep deprived that I'm a zombie.

I'm stuck in the small town I was living in as a teenager (because I'm not capable of any regular or meaningful work to aid me getting out of it) with zero prospects for family or a relationship, no 'IRL' friends because they all got out after secondary (thankfully for them!) and relying on my GP for help because the mental health services are so bad.

I'm grateful I'm not institutionalized, but it's probably inevitable whether it's in now or 40 years (if my body even lasts that long with the multiple medications I have to subject it to)

Are the manias fun? For like a second until the frustration that the world isn't following your pace and logic becomes rage and maybe if you're lucky you realize something is wrong before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Its a never-ending road. I have no light at the end of it. I have to just try to get through every day and not think about the future (not that my anxiety makes that easy) and appreciate for the moment that I have some freedom, physically if not mentally.

I sincerely hope no one here ever has to experience it through themselves or others.

Just wondering if you've considered you might have Borderline Personality Disorder? I'm just asking because I thought the difference between bi-polar and BPD is that BPD has constant highs and lows and Bi-polar tends to have weeks of highs or weeks of lows. I have BPD myself so my moods change pretty rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Vesta31 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you've considered you might have Borderline Personality Disorder? I'm just asking because I thought the difference between bi-polar and BPD is that BPD has constant highs and lows and Bi-polar tends to have weeks of highs or weeks of lows. I have BPD myself so my moods change pretty rapidly.

I do get weeks-long mood shifts. I just also rapid cycle sometimes. Some people don't know about rapid cycling and think it's always long 'episodes' which is why I mention it but I've also had those periods creep up on me and get full-on manic or depressive for weeks, actually usually months on end. Rapid cycling can be really short bursts (ultra rapid) or really long over months. On average, I would say my shifts go in 2-3 months patterns and I ultra rapid shift when I'm completely sleep deprived.

I definitely have bipolar, I've been diagnosed by multiple different psychiatric teams. I hope you've been able to find stability with your BPD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I know two people with bipolar, same name and body though...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My OH is bipolar but with the course of meds he’s on he is well but he has had episodes in the past of horrendous depression that required prolonged hospitalisation and twice had dysphoric elation episodes which are frightening to experience.

As I have long-standing issues with severe anxiety myself and moderate depression in the past (and alcoholism, sober nearly two years now), I have a little more understanding of his condition than most. After almost two months into our relationship, he told me that he was bipolar and I am very glad he did. I really appreciate directness and honesty in people, and he was worried that disclosing that he was bipolar would make me walk away.

Not a chance of that happening as he is a wonderful, kind, funny and decent loving guy. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying OP claimed mental illness doesn't exist??

Total WUM.

Nope, I went through a psychotic period myself which the psychiatrist said mirrored bipolar. I tried mutilating a part of my body cause I thought it would take anxiety away and make me more academically successful.

It wasn't something I read online, just a bunch of irrational thoughts really. Scary time 2013-14 was for me. Also attacked a family member after crashing from mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yeah after reading that it makes me believe you're more of an @rsehole quite frankly

Nope, it's not compulsory to stay in relationships with people with a mental illness. Better running off sooner than later, and this is experience talking.

Interestingly, many severe mental illnesses disappear for a while after dialysis, suggesting that they are physical in origin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

My psychiatrist told me I suffered from this a while back in 2013. Tried coke this year and it was exactly like the mania I experienced. Did some ****ed up stuff to my body thinking I was invicible.

But I've heard some people spend their entire wages on frivolous gifts.

I hear the ridin’ is savage when you’re on a while. Just savage ! Is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

So it was great when you were getting your brains w@nked off but wouldn't support her during the lows? Arséhole behaviour

This is really not a fair response. Bipolar symptoms basically amount to abusing your partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Oh a friend of a friend is bipolar also. Set fire to his car, put his hand through a pane of glass... he goes through bouts of not taking his meds, and drinking. Disastrous.
    Nope, it's not compulsory to stay in relationships with people with a mental illness. Better running off sooner than later, and this is experience talking.
    I thought the point that poster was making was that he didn't run soon enough? That he was happy to hang around for whenever she went through mania because of the sex. That does seem... cynical at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

theguzman wrote: »
    I dated a woman with it, she had severe narcissism where she thought she was much more beautiful than she really was, her sense of self importance was shocking, she did things to extremes and could be described as a sex addict. When things would go bad for her it was absolutely shocking to witness, I got out of dodge fairly quickly on that one, it was fun whilst she was on her high but when she went low it was time to run for the hills and never look back.

A bit like having the painters in so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Raconteuse wrote: »

I thought the point that poster was making was that he didn't run soon enough? That he was happy to hang around for whenever she went through mania because of the sex. That does seem... cynical at best.
    The poster cleared it up. When he met her she was in a manic phase and the sex was great but she became moody and he thought she was pms'ing but she told him about her bipolar. They were only dating three weeks when he walked so he wasn't stringing her along to use her for sex when in the manic phase.

As someone in another post said, people with bipolar can be abusive to their partner. It's not their fault but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to tolerate being on the receiving end of it. Personally I don't think I'd be able to handle the extreme mood swings but I also don't think that makes me a bad person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

My psychiatrist told me I suffered from this a while back in 2013. Tried coke this year and it was exactly like the mania I experienced. Did some ****ed up stuff to my body thinking I was invicible.

Nope, I went through a psychotic period myself which the psychiatrist said mirrored bipolar. I tried mutilating a part of my body cause I thought it would take anxiety away and make me more academically successful.

It wasn't something I read online, just a bunch of irrational thoughts really. Scary time 2013-14 was for me. Also attacked a family member after crashing from mania.
    Those two statements are not the same. Bipolar disorder is a serious mental illness that ruins lives and not something you should claim to have frivolously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Guy Person wrote: »
    I know 4 people that are bipolar, all relatives on my Mother’s side. It’s a horrible condition I think. I’m sure the highs feel amazing to the person but seeing the person in their high state from an outside perspective all I see is near mania levels of hyperactivity, bad decision making and high level delusions. I won’t even get started on the lows of it.

I wouldn’t wish this condition on my worst enemy.

What caused them to be unwell in the first place?

Were they bullied in school or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Mad_maxx wrote: »

I don't fully know truthfully Maxx. The history of mental illness on my mother's side of the family is frightening and one of the reasons I never want to have kids. The people I know or knew with it are my grandmother, 1 Uncle and 2 Aunts. One of my Aunties with it was bullied in school as she was dyslexic. My mother has had lifelong mental health issues as have her brothers and sister who are not bipolar. They had a very difficult childhood for various reasons, some I know about and some I don't. There must be a genetic factor too because 4 people in the 1 immediate family is too much for that not to be the case and my mother has often spoken about her grandfather and his wild mood swings so it's possible he had it too.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

I don't think bipolar disorder is caused by environment like anxiety, depression, PTSD, even though it shares some of the same symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

6cfef74f30e0020f4d342bb2b92fa54f.jpg

:D what a meme!!

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    As someone in another post said, people with bipolar can be abusive to their partner. It's not their fault but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to tolerate being on the receiving end of it. Personally I don't think I'd be able to handle the extreme mood swings but I also don't think that makes me a bad person.
    No I know that. I'm not disputing it. Been in the situation myself where I had to just end it or I could have been in danger, as he was endangering himself all the time.

I thought the guy said he stayed with her for the great sex when she was manic, instead of just ending it. But I missed his clarification. Sorry theguzman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah after reading that it makes me believe you're more of an @rsehole quite frankly

Yeah guzman, you should have suffered just for the sake of her - even though it was a brand new relationship.

You were right to gtfo , don't listen to this arsehole talk.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I don't think bipolar disorder is caused by environment like anxiety, depression, PTSD, even though it shares some of the same symptoms.

I remember googling this before, and found a really good article on the genetics of bipolar, and how it's far more genetic than most psychiatric illnesses/disorders. RIght now I can't find the link where I read it. But this article implies that it's 40 - 70% genetic, and the rest must be developmental (?), since if your identical twin has bipolar, the chances you'll also suffer from it is within the above range.

https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-whos-at-risk

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Yes a friend has it, we were at a work Christmas party one year and he was sure it was his party, he was going around thanking everyone for coming, he also had a serious gambling problem at one stage, which can be associated with bi-polar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are mental health issues on my late mother's side of the family also, as my aunt was a complete drama queen and was very neurotic, my own mother probably had undiagnosed mental health issues with respect to mood swings (my two sisters and I fully agree on this, but my father never wanted to talk about it) and I have had bad anxiety all my life - which worsens and abates - going right back to my childhood and I am also a recovering alcoholic.

My middle sister has BPD and is on medication for it and one of my uncles on my mother's side was a chronic alcoholic who drank himself into an early grave in his 50s. At least four of my cousins on that side of the family have or had mental health issues, two with bipolar, one with chronic anxiety and one with BPD and substance abuse that also led to a sad, early grave for him. There is definitely a genetic factor at play.

OP- you cannot just have "a touch" of bipolar. It is a very serious long-term, lifelong condition and either you have it or you don't.

OP it might be an idea to get off Boards and engage with mental health services.

As others have posted it's not possible to have a 'touch' of bipolar disorder. It's an extremely serious and debilitating illness. I completely understand why a person would not want to be in a relationship with someone who has a diagnosis. There is no responsibility on people to be martyrs. If its draining the life out of you and your own health is being impacted then walking away is probably wise.

OP it might be an idea to get off Boards and engage with mental health services.

As others have posted it's not possible to have a 'touch' of bipolar disorder. It's an extremely serious and debilitating illness. I completely understand why a person would not want to be in a relationship with someone who has a diagnosis. There is no responsibility on people to be martyrs. If its draining the life out of you and your own health is being impacted then walking away is probably wise.

Well what did I experience then? It was psychosis of some sort no?? I basically felt extrmely elated in 2013, tried castrating myself and performing other self mutilation acts (which felt good). Then when I realized none of the goals I had would come true, I crashed hard in the beginning of 2014 and at proceeded to attack a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OP it might be an idea to get off Boards

Seconded.

endacl wrote: »
    Seconded.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Well what did I experience then? It was psychosis of some sort no?? I basically felt extrmely elated in 2013, tried castrating myself and performing other self mutilation acts (which felt good). Then when I realized none of the goals I had would come true, I crashed hard in the beginning of 2014 and at proceeded to attack a family member.

I hope you take the bolded post seriously

• Advertisement

Your psychiatrist told you that what you experienced mirrored bipolar, that is not equal to diagnosing you with same. Would you consider seeking a referral to meet with a psychiatrist again?

Advertisement