Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know anyone with bipolar?

Options
  • 13-10-2019 4:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

My psychiatrist told me I suffered from this a while back in 2013. Tried coke this year and it was exactly like the mania I experienced. Did some ****ed up stuff to my body thinking I was invicible.

But I've heard some people spend their entire wages on frivolous gifts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

My psychiatrist told me I suffered from this a while back in 2013. Tried coke this year and it was exactly like the mania I experienced. Did some ****ed up stuff to my body thinking I was invicible.

6cfef74f30e0020f4d342bb2b92fa54f.jpg

Bipolar disorder is a long-term condition. I won't dignify the rest of your cock and bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not a medical professional, but I suspect there may be a bit more to it than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tenor.gif?itemid=7161878

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Bipolar disorder is a long-term condition. I won't dignify the rest of your cock and bull.

Well I did actually experience it. I went through various forms of self mutilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Iv personal experience with someone who has it.. in the high stages they will spend spend spend on stupid things. Low stages they are dangerous to themselves and subject to self harm. Please dont be frivolous about it. Its not a great condition to have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don’t. Is multiple personality disorder still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

I don’t. Is multiple personality disorder still a thing?
    Yes, it is.

Ya big bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I dated a woman with it, she had severe narcissism where she thought she was much more beautiful than she really was, her sense of self importance was shocking, she did things to extremes and could be described as a sex addict. When things would go bad for her it was absolutely shocking to witness, I got out of dodge fairly quickly on that one, it was fun whilst she was on her high but when she went low it was time to run for the hills and never look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Gotta regulate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. You were on the upswing op. You started a borderline non-stupid thread there a few days ago.

Now we’re back to this shyte...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes, it's common

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

theguzman wrote: »
    I dated a woman with it, she had severe narcissism where she thought she was much more beautiful than she really was, her sense of self importance was shocking, she did things to extremes and could be described as a sex addict. When things would go bad for her it was absolutely shocking to witness, I got out of dodge fairly quickly on that one, it was fun whilst she was on her high but when she went low it was time to run for the hills and never look back.

So it was great when you were getting your brains w@nked off but wouldn't support her during the lows? Arséhole behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I don't mean no disrespect OP,but from your posts you seem to be all over the place at this time in your life.You should take some time to do some serious soul searching where you want to go in your life.And take the steps to achieve those goals.And lay off the drugs they are only hindering you,IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hardly that uncommon youd need to make a thread about it. I know several people with it, its no laughing matter, one individual I know with bipolar experienced irrational paranoia so strong during their 'lows' that their spouse was in danger of violence. Its not just like they feel a bit sad sometimes then really happy and excited others, they are extreme and volatile emotional swings that severely disrupt ordinary life and often need to be medicated in order to be able to maintain any kind of normal or sustainable relationships with other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I know 4 people that are bipolar, all relatives on my Mother’s side. It’s a horrible condition I think. I’m sure the highs feel amazing to the person but seeing the person in their high state from an outside perspective all I see is near mania levels of hyperactivity, bad decision making and high level delusions. I won’t even get started on the lows of it.

I wouldn’t wish this condition on my worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Well I did actually experience it. I went through various forms of self mutilation.
    Bipolar disorder isn't something you experience once or twice. It's a long term condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

So it was great when you were getting your brains w@nked off but wouldn't support her during the lows? Arséhole behaviour

For your information Mr. Judgemental it was during the lows that she came out and explained she had this condition and not at the very beginning in which case had she done so I would not have progressed any further towards a relationship with her, I thought first she was being narky and moody with PMS levels I had experienced before but when I realised she was mentally ill I then made a decision that no I wouldn't support her because I also am deserving of happiness and not the continuous drama she was unwillingly causing through her condition; it went from start to finish in less than 3 weeks and for both our sakes I left.

So if I'm an arsehole by your twisted logic then you need to take a long hard look at your own self before judging others.

For your information Mr. Judgemental it was during the lows that she came out and explained she had this condition and not at the very beginning in which case had she done so I would not have progressed any further towards a relationship with her, I thought first she was being narky and moody with PMS levels I had experienced before but when I realised she was mentally ill I then made a decision that no I wouldn't support her because I also am deserving of happiness and not the continuous drama she was unwillingly causing through her condition; it went from start to finish in less than 3 weeks and for both our sakes I left.

So if I'm an arsehole by your twisted logic then you need to take a long hard look at your own self before judging others.

Yeah after reading that it makes me believe you're more of an @rsehole quite frankly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I know a lady like this from my dim and distant past and she was exactly like this. Brilliant, charming and warm one minute, then nasty, devious, manipulative and even violent the next. Bipolar really is an awful long-term condition and it's heartbreaking for the sufferer and those closest to them alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OP has a formula.

Start with statement
    Mention drugs
    Theorise connection

Step four, over the next few pages, will be subtle questions about wher to get certain "items" and what effect they'll have.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I only know one person with confirmed/diagnosed bipolar disorder. Let's call her "A". I ended up sharing a house with her and another woman, who I'm going to call "M", and didn't find out about her condition until after I left. Things seemed alright in the house for the first month or so, until she started getting jealous that her dog wanted to play with M, complaining about me going to the bathroom at night, banning us from the sitting room, and basically behaving like a spoiled child. Then came the paranoia and accusations.

I got the third degree from her one afternoon after figuring out how to use the different functions of the oven. Excuuuuuse me for being one of those "engineering types". Another time she asked me to guess how many times she had bought something in the last month, and shock, horror! I made an educated guess and got it right. She refused to believe I wasn't spying on her and absolutely lost the plot. She also refused to believe I wasn't running up the electricity bill with a space heater, despite seeing the inside of my room regularly and letting herself in with a spare key when I wasn't around. Any innocent conversation could suddenly turn into a ridiculous argument about my character, or how I had it in for her in some way.

After a few more incidents, and a massive electricity bill I hadn't run up, I had to leave. M left after waking up on a Saturday morning with A looking over her, twice. To "make sure she wasn't dead". M found out later from A's mother that she was bipolar and had gone off of her medications in the few months we were all living together. Neither of us had any idea about that when it was going on, but A's behaviour was just getting worse all the time.

Nobody was discriminating against her because of her condition, we couldn't be biased against her because of it if we didn't know about it. The problems only started when she stopped her medication, and that was her own fault. She had been stable before that. I understand that bipolar disorder would have affected how she treated the people around her, but she made a decision, and then continued not to think critically about what she was doing.

I only know one person with confirmed/diagnosed bipolar disorder. Let's call her "A". I ended up sharing a house with her and another woman, who I'm going to call "M", and didn't find out about her condition until after I left. Things seemed alright in the house for the first month or so, until she started getting jealous that her dog wanted to play with M, complaining about me going to the bathroom at night, banning us from the sitting room, and basically behaving like a spoiled child. Then came the paranoia and accusations.

I got the third degree from her one afternoon after figuring out how to use the different functions of the oven. Excuuuuuse me for being one of those "engineering types". Another time she asked me to guess how many times she had bought something in the last month, and shock, horror! I made an educated guess and got it right. She refused to believe I wasn't spying on her and absolutely lost the plot. She also refused to believe I wasn't running up the electricity bill with a space heater, despite seeing the inside of my room regularly and letting herself in with a spare key when I wasn't around. Any innocent conversation could suddenly turn into a ridiculous argument about my character, or how I had it in for her in some way.

After a few more incidents, and a massive electricity bill I hadn't run up, I had to leave. M left after waking up on a Saturday morning with A looking over her, twice. To "make sure she wasn't dead". M found out later from A's mother that she was bipolar and had gone off of her medications in the few months we were all living together. Neither of us had any idea about that when it was going on, but A's behaviour was just getting worse all the time.

Nobody was discriminating against her because of her condition, we couldn't be biased against her because of it if we didn't know about it. The problems only started when she stopped her medication, and that was her own fault. She had been stable before that. I understand that bipolar disorder would have affected how she treated the people around her, but she made a decision, and then continued not to think critically about what she was doing.

Can you give me the cliffnotes version of this?i wasn't expecting a novel on a Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Can you give me the cliffnotes version of this?i wasn't expecting a novel on a Sunday night

Housemate's behaviour gets increasingly paranoid and aggressive/weird. I have to leave. Find out later that she's bipolar and off her meds.

but she made a decision, and then continued not to think critically about what she was doing.
    Maybe there was a connection between not taking the medication and "then not continuing to think critically"...

As for stopping the medication on the first day, maybe her health had already deteriorated. it's not like there is a vaccine that prevents your symptoms.

By all accounts the drugs only maintain someone within a stable range, but they will fluctaute. Just like depression or anxiety, the drugs will probably help manage the symptoms, but that isn't a guarantee of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I had a housemate whose name begins with A also, who has bipolar disorder. She was lovely though. God love her, what an horrendous illness. When off her meds she did mad dangerous sh1t. Not fun. I was never in her presence when she stopped taking the medication, but she told me about it.

She was extremely stable, self aware etc when on her meds but she had to take this massive cocktail every day. It was draining. And she just felt so sad. Not depression, just sadness at all this illness took away from her - already and into the future. Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Strange alright , I’ve read that twice ,the Dublin marathon was easier

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Strange alright , I’ve read that twice ,the Dublin marathon was easier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I'm bipolar. Diagnosed at 15, symptomatic since I was a child. All I can say is it ruined my life.

I'm medicated and stable but every day is still a struggle. The medication just keeps me stable enough to stay out of hospital or not be a danger to myself (which I'm grateful for)

I can rapid cycle through mood swings 10 times a day, (edit for clarification: mood shifts can also and often happen for months on end) I have constant symptoms like frustration and anxiety, I have chronic insomnia.

It stopped me from doing my leaving (because I was in hospital) and now I'm too drugged up to have any hope of passing exams or even studying. That's if I was even able to get to any kind of leaning facility without panic attacks or being so sleep deprived that I'm a zombie.

I'm stuck in the small town I was living in as a teenager (because I'm not capable of any regular or meaningful work to aid me getting out of it) with zero prospects for family or a relationship, no 'IRL' friends because they all got out after secondary (thankfully for them!) and relying on my GP for help because the mental health services are so bad.

I'm grateful I'm not institutionalized, but it's probably inevitable whether it's in now or 40 years (if my body even lasts that long with the multiple medications I have to subject it to)

Are the manias fun? For like a second until the frustration that the world isn't following your pace and logic becomes rage and maybe if you're lucky you realize something is wrong before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Its a never-ending road. I have no light at the end of it. I have to just try to get through every day and not think about the future (not that my anxiety makes that easy) and appreciate for the moment that I have some freedom, physically if not mentally.

I sincerely hope no one here ever has to experience it through themselves or others.

Advertisement