Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know anyone with bipolar?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

MrAbyss wrote: »
    All the Extinction Rebellion/SJW/Woke types you saw dancing the other day, will be currently in the corner of their room with the lights off and sobbing hysterically. I never met one single 'activist' type who was not bi-polar. Their need to control everyone else is born out of not being able to get their own lives together.

This is why we should not indulge these types.

Well isn't you ignorance mighty?! What a ridiculous comment.

It's a genuine and serious mental health condition and it's shameful that people lack understanding about the condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

theguzman wrote: »
    I dated a woman with it, she had severe narcissism where she thought she was much more beautiful than she really was, her sense of self importance was shocking, she did things to extremes and could be described as a sex addict. When things would go bad for her it was absolutely shocking to witness, I got out of dodge fairly quickly on that one, it was fun whilst she was on her high but when she went low it was time to run for the hills and never look back.

This sounds more like Borderline Personality Disorder. These women are EXTREMELY dangerous and are responsible for the majority of false rape and sexual assault accusations when the man they are obsessed with stops believing they are a 'goddess'. Even male psyche-doctors won't treat them as they will be all over social media making up lies that he assaulted her.

I only know one person with confirmed/diagnosed bipolar disorder. Let's call her "A". I ended up sharing a house with her and another woman, who I'm going to call "M", and didn't find out about her condition until after I left. Things seemed alright in the house for the first month or so, until she started getting jealous that her dog wanted to play with M, complaining about me going to the bathroom at night, banning us from the sitting room, and basically behaving like a spoiled child. Then came the paranoia and accusations.

I got the third degree from her one afternoon after figuring out how to use the different functions of the oven. Excuuuuuse me for being one of those "engineering types". Another time she asked me to guess how many times she had bought something in the last month, and shock, horror! I made an educated guess and got it right. She refused to believe I wasn't spying on her and absolutely lost the plot. She also refused to believe I wasn't running up the electricity bill with a space heater, despite seeing the inside of my room regularly and letting herself in with a spare key when I wasn't around. Any innocent conversation could suddenly turn into a ridiculous argument about my character, or how I had it in for her in some way.

After a few more incidents, and a massive electricity bill I hadn't run up, I had to leave. M left after waking up on a Saturday morning with A looking over her, twice. To "make sure she wasn't dead". M found out later from A's mother that she was bipolar and had gone off of her medications in the few months we were all living together. Neither of us had any idea about that when it was going on, but A's behaviour was just getting worse all the time.

Nobody was discriminating against her because of her condition, we couldn't be biased against her because of it if we didn't know about it. The problems only started when she stopped her medication, and that was her own fault. She had been stable before that. I understand that bipolar disorder would have affected how she treated the people around her, but she made a decision, and then continued not to think critically about what she was doing.

once again this is Borderline Personality Disorder and not Bi-Polar. Two very different conditions. Bi-Polar the person is a danger to themselves. With BPD the person is a danger to everyone else.

I remember googling this before, and found a really good article on the genetics of bipolar, and how it's far more genetic than most psychiatric illnesses/disorders. RIght now I can't find the link where I read it. But this article implies that it's 40 - 70% genetic, and the rest must be developmental (?), since if your identical twin has bipolar, the chances you'll also suffer from it is within the above range.

https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-whos-at-risk

These studies are often contradictory and pushed by the likes of the AMA in tandem with Big Pharma companies so as to sell medications that cure nothing and never will. The anecdotal (and most honest scientific) evidence is that metal health is not passed on in the genes. There was only one Ted Bundy in the Bundy family. Yes, there can be behavioral issues brought about by inbreeding over a number of generations. This does seem to affect neural plasticity and epigentics. But only severe inbreeding creates this.

However there is a lot of evidence that something goes horribly wrong in early childhood which sends an infant into a kind of shock to their psyche creating a dissociation they never recover from. It does not even have to be bad parents. Just something like the mother dying her hair a new colour and the baby thinks its natural mother has left them.

Well isn't you ignorance mighty?! What a ridiculous comment.

It's a genuine and serious mental health condition and it's shameful that people lack understanding about the condition.

that's not what I am doing.

• Advertisement

This sounds more like Borderline Personality Disorder. These women are EXTREMELY dangerous and are responsible for the majority of false rape and sexual assault accusations when the man they are obsessed with stops believing they are a 'goddess'. Even male psyche-doctors won't treat them as they will be all over social media making up lies that he assaulted her.

Citation please?

that's not what I am doing.

"I never met one single 'activist' type who was not bi-polar. Their need to control everyone else is born out of not being able to get their own lives together."

This is completely ignorant. Bipolar doesn't create a need to control everyone else or an inability to get your own life together.

Citation please?

I made this all up. BPD does not exist and you are a really special person.

"I never met one single 'activist' type who was not bi-polar. Their need to control everyone else is born out of not being able to get their own lives together."

This is completely ignorant. Bipolar doesn't create a need to control everyone else or an inability to get your own life together.

That is not their motivation. It is almost a cry for help. They are desperate to ground themselves into something stable and rigid among people like themselves. A need to feel somehow alive and vital rather than useless inside. It's their politics/activism that's fake, not the medical condition.

Look at all the body dysmorphia on display at your typical Extinction Rebellion marches for example. It is self-hatred weaponised as 'activism'.

I know/have known several people (diagnosed by a psychiatrist) with BPD, all very different personalities. A very challenging condition to live with.

There were a few people at work, very nice to work with. I had two neighbours with it. One was a lovely gentle lady, died in old age and greatly missed by her adult children. Her mother had the condition too. The other lady suffered from alcoholism and seizures too; she had a fine powerful voice and when afflicted would open the top window and broadcast her woes. Everyone knew to accept this, but it could be upsetting listening to her troubles, and once or twice when folk thought she might be a danger to herself, would call the guards. They knew her well, and were able to calm her down and try and ensure she had taken her medication etc.

Two people connected to the wider family have had it. One, a lovely conscientious and gentle man always had the greatest of praise for St Ita’s, and between episodes asked to be sectioned any time he might become a “nuisance” or danger to himself. Sadly he later died of a neurological condition which may possibly have underlain his illness. Another lady does not accept that she has any such condition, and her family are constantly worried. It seems she may have a personality disorder in addition to the BDP, which complicates it.

Psychiatry is just about stepping on the first rung of the ladder in catching up with general new medical discoveries, where autoimmune type disorders may underlie some psychiatric conditions. Society will benefit do much when more is learned, and particularly effective treatments can be offered.

• Advertisement

Veganism also produces bi-polar like mania and depression. Hence why they need Vitamin B injections every so often to prevent them from going into psychosis from their 'healthy lifestyle'.

A lot of depression can be dealt with via low carb diets and long walks in nature. (note: I didn't say cured)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I made this all up. BPD does not exist and you are a really special person.

Littlemisshobo came into this thread to share her experience of being bipolar. As you can see from her low post count she doesn’t post much. Why don’t you stop targeting her with your nonsense and maybe others might learn something?

Nope, it's not compulsory to stay in relationships with people with a mental illness. Better running off sooner than later, and this is experience talking.

Interestingly, many severe mental illnesses disappear for a while after dialysis, suggesting that they are physical in origin.

Source??

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

once again this is Borderline Personality Disorder and not Bi-Polar. Two very different conditions. Bi-Polar the person is a danger to themselves. With BPD the person is a danger to everyone else.

Well, she was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder by medical professionals, and was medicated for her condition. It was working until she stopped taking meds and things went downhill from there. That doesn't rule out any other issues she had, just as being a danger to oneself doesn't rule out being dangerous to others.

She had some issues of her own on top of what she was diagnosed with, and Bipolar Disorder can present itself differently in different people. But shur, why not go ahead and slap a diagnosis on someone briefly described in a randomer's anecdote on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah, three cousins, all siblings. Diagnosed at different ages, one not until her 30s though she reckons in hindsight she was symptomatic before that. Seems to run very strongly in that family, thankfully I'm not related by blood to the side it came from, just the side where everyone has regular depression :pac:

I've another friend who's had manic episodes but she has a different diagnosis. Wouldn't wish any of it on anyone.

Just to add, no one has to stay in a relationship with someone who has a mental health disorder. It is not your fault that they are sick. There are loads of mental health 'awareness' public information programs which never touch on the misery (and sometimes life-threatening dangers) the people in relationships undergo by 'being their rock'. Their cross is not yours to carry unconditionally.

There is nothing wrong with walking away. Nothing at all. If I meet a woman with the slightest hint of BPD, I am gone. Being there for them is like feeding a shark tofu in the hope they become a vegetarian.

I wonder about the possible genetic link with mental illness. Could it instead be generational not good enough parenting? Hurt and dysfunction passed down through families?

No one has to stay in an abusive relationship. Domestic abuse victims are more likely to have a mental health condition. Don't let anyone use your mental health history against you to gaslight you, to control you, undermine and abuse you.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jun/07/domestic-abuse-victims-more-likely-to-suffer-mental-illness-study

I wonder about the possible genetic link with mental illness. Could it instead be generational not good enough parenting? Hurt and dysfunction passed down through families?

Mental illness covers a range of conditions. Some have strong genetic links, others are environmental.

My opinion on it is that bipolar is one of the few mental illnesses, that I know of, that is more nature r than nurture. Obviously your childhood environment factors in too. I mentioned earlier in the thread about mental illness on my Mother's side, I believe the depression I have is from my childhood rather than being born with it. I've never done any research into that, just an opinion I formed based on my life and the lives of other people I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It varies between conditions and I'm sure it's often a bit of both. Iirc there's quite a bit of debate about the heritability of, in particular, schizophrenia and bipolar; many studies of twins and of adopted people have concluded it's strongly or primarily genetic, other studies strongly dispute those studies' methodologies and conclusions and argue everywhere along the scale from the conditions being rooted in childhood trauma to the conditions being socially constructed.

I'm on my phone (and at work lol) so I won't be hunting down links but it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down if one's so inclined!

I know in my mother's family, depression runs through it like fecking freckles, I've got it and I certainly wouldn't attribute it to bad parenting, then again I'm not exactly a neutral observer...

Mental illness covers a range of conditions. Some have strong genetic links, others are environmental.

Hmm. Perhaps.

It varies between conditions and I'm sure it's often a bit of both. Iirc there's quite a bit of debate about the heritability of, in particular, schizophrenia and bipolar; many studies of twins and of adopted people have concluded it's strongly or primarily genetic, other studies strongly dispute those studies' methodologies and conclusions and argue everywhere along the scale from the conditions being rooted in childhood trauma to the conditions being socially constructed.

I'm on my phone (and at work lol) so I won't be hunting down links but it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down if one's so inclined!

I know in my mother's family, depression runs through it like fecking freckles, I've got it and I certainly wouldn't attribute it to bad parenting, then again I'm not exactly a neutral observer...

In my professional experience mental illness has presented itself in adults who have been dealt a challenging hand when growing up. I wouldn't even say it was just 'bad' parenting but in many cases parenting that wasn't 'good enough. Inconsistent to no attachment, chaotic environment, needs not being met, lack of emotional attunement from primary caregiver.

Regarding Bipolar, which is not BPD, the causes aren't at all clear. Yes there is a strong hereditary link but there is also a strong environmental one. My own opinion is that there is no one definite cause for all who have been diagnosed. It varies among individuals I feel.

I'm on my phone (and at work lol) so I won't be hunting down links

Can you prove that you were posting on your phone? Unless you provide a link to a study from 2014 proving that you were on your phone I will in typical After Hours/IMHO fashion assume you won’t post a link because you know you are wrong! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

endacl wrote: »
    Seconded.

Thirded

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

My psychiatrist told me I suffered from this a while back in 2013. Tried coke this year and it was exactly like the mania I experienced. Did some ****ed up stuff to my body thinking I was invicible.

But I've heard some people spend their entire wages on frivolous gifts.

I think you should go out and do ALL the coke

Advertisement