Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Wow, 14 weeks. I thought with Rolex opening up their new or large service centre that the service times would have reduced.

Just do not Weirs near it! Too nice not to be looked after by Rolex themselves.

Weirs facilitate the return to Rolex as AD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

New watch from Deep thought.

8 watches in my box and I feel this is 2-3 too many.

gKkg4oJT_o.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

893bet wrote: »

SNIP
    I'll store some for you if you stuck for space :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Snip

A lifer. Never selling mine. Bought it from FullaDaPipes from this here parish.

Birneybau wrote: »
    A lifer. Never selling mine. Bought it from FullaDaPipes from this here parish.

Not sure yet.

But for me a watch is all about finding the right strap option.

I think a bond nato is what I need for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

I was in the British Museum today,and all I could think of was Wibbs salivating!

IMG-20191014-152709.jpg
    IMG-20191014-152649.jpg
    IMG-20191014-152625.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

I particularly liked the Omega Marine Chronometer,so I looked one up on eBay.
    5 grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Pleasure to meet and hope you enjoy the watch and love the Patek :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

vandriver wrote: »
    I particularly liked the Omega Marine Chronometer,so I looked one up on eBay.
    5 grand!
    That's the dealer price for the most part V. Way over the top IMHO. When they do come up in actual auctions they struggle to go much beyond two, maybe two and half grand. Pretty much the same value they were five, even ten years ago.

Though this "value" disparity between actual auction prices and dealers is increasing across the vintage market. As are overpriced watches sitting for sale for months, even over a year. It's been like this for a while. That and fewer new to market examples. In a healthy market you see more watches and a much narrower gap between dealer prices and auction prices and you see way more auctions than BIN on ebay. A sure sign IMHO anyway that "peak watch" has passed and the market is stagnant, in the vintage arena anyway . Personally speaking and with a couple of exceptions a vintage watch from a dealer I wouldn't touch with a bargepole at the moment.

And yes I'd love one of those Marine Chronometers. :D They've a really loud tick and are still one of the most accurate wristwatches ever produced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

For anyone who doesn't understand the pic above its watch lubrication oil all over him and the pc screen ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're not wrong FG.... :D

They're actually an impressive thing in the flesh. Extremely well built of the finest materials. Not a shock considering their price when new. Crazy money. Like equivalent to over ten steel Rolex nodate Subs crazy money. They didn't sell well at that kinda outlay, though sold well enough to keep going for a time and through an update. In the end when the digital fashion became overwhelming and it was realised that buyers found "basic" quartz accuracy to be more than enough, they were remaindered off to Omega staff and dealers at knockdown, though still sphincter clenching, prices, Back in the 90's I encountered a few NOS with boxes and papers knocking around, which says much. Though even back then they were pricey, well outa my personally set comfort zone anyway, around a grand, grand and a half. Especially when Longines Czech Pilots were half that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Had a hankerin for an older piece so picked this up a couple of weeks ago. '75 automatic seiko in very good condition. I'd forgotten how small watches used to be! I've fallen for it and it's my smart-casual wear now.

IMG-20190927-212918.jpg

Regular adverts seller so probably on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Bought a shark mesh off WatchGecko for my LLD. Happy enough with how it looks and feels. Also got a couple of Cape Code polishing cloths, so will get a couple of annoying scratches off it the next day or two :)

493137.jpg

493138.jpg

Just realised I have it sitting on the crowns, so before I'm shot it was only for a second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Bought a shark mesh off WatchGecko for my LLD. Happy enough with how it looks and feels.

Looks good on that bracelet, one of my favourite watches and sorry it had to go. The LLD is an awesome watch, works for all occasions.

HDMI wrote: »
    Looks good on that bracelet, one of my favourite watches and sorry it had to go. The LLD is an awesome watch, works for all occasions.

Of my five watches, it's one of two that I don't think I'll want to move on (the other being my 516, first auto). Love the vintage look, it actually gets noticed and it goes well on NATO, Rubber, Leather and Mesh. And now spruced up after a quick rub with the Cape Cod cloth. If it's any consolation, it's well cared for. (assuming zero consolation btw!)

Hope all is well with you, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Having promised myself I wasn't going to buy more watches this year but instead concentrate on repairs and servicing, I cracked and bought an Oceanus T200.
    I have the Oceanus S100 titatnium but the T200 in steel was different enough for me to plump for it.
    The T200 has many of the same features as the S100 ,solar, Radio sync, perpetual calendar etc but also has bluetooth connectivity for NNTP time sync, updates to DST calendars, power reserve indicators etc.
    I had hoped it would show how much accumulated error is corrected between time syncs but, alas no.

493586.jpg

493587.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Arrived today - delighted with it!

• Advertisement

decided to keep the GMT Master II. Was not getting offers where I wanted it. So I decided to change the bracelet to a rubber strap. Got a rubber B strap, they do a lot of rubber straps which are colour matched to various models. Fit is perfect. Decided to get a tang to save the buckle. Very comfortable. Like it sporty and different. What are peoples thoughts?

L0l8in9l.jpg

Ld0MAncl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

decided to keep the GMT Master II. Was not getting offers where I wanted it. So I decided to change the bracelet to a rubber strap. Got a rubber B strap, they do a lot of rubber straps which are colour matched to various models. Fit is perfect. Decided to get a tang to save the buckle. Very comfortable. Like it sporty and different. What are peoples thoughts?

Perfect

newjackcity2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Fitzgeme, the B strap is lovely. It really suits the GMT imo and has the added benefit of saving the as strap.
    Well wear and enjoy its new iteration.

On a side note, I thought your asking was fairly reasonable.
    Do you think the lack of decent offers might be a sign that the bubble is starting to, if not burst! At least slow it's inflation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

@Fitzgeme love the strap, did you get the one where you use your rolex clasp, the standard one, or the velcro? I am thinking of getting one for my BLRO GMT but don't think the black goes with it.

i might take a look at that some day if its ok? might be a nice change for me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Love this Tissot I picked up ...

493650.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Love this Tissot I picked up ...
    So do I!
    Is it a new one or older?

So do I!
    Is it a new one or older?

Older, I got it around 2012 ...

And for the ying and yang there is this I use when I swim or play tennis ..
    48952739497_c74c8300be_z.jpg

Updates by radio every night so is bang on accurate + solar powered.

I like it, it's a tough little beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Haven’t bought much recently but I’ve always fancied this Breitling and ended up buying it today.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Haven’t bought much recently but I’ve always fancied this Breitling and ended up buying it today.

TbL

Lovey watch. Last job I was in a colleague had one. Cracking and even better looking in the flesh.

• Advertisement

barrier86 wrote: »
    Lovey watch. Last job I was in a colleague had one. Cracking and even better looking in the flesh.

Thank you.

Always liked Breitling, I have a Navitimer and couldn’t resist this when I put it on.

Bought it in Gatwick, they are selling at tax (vat) free prices.

TbL

Thank you.

Always liked Breitling, I have a Navitimer and couldn’t resist this when I put it on.

Bought it in Gatwick, they are selling at tax (vat) free prices.

TbL

Its the SO42 is it?

Just in! Courtesy of micks_address!

Stowa is a class act all round.

I want to get a Stowa ...
    love the marine ones .. gorgeous ...

banie01 wrote: »
    @Fitzgeme, the B strap is lovely. It really suits the GMT imo and has the added benefit of saving the as strap.
    Well wear and enjoy its new iteration.

On a side note, I thought your asking was fairly reasonable.
    Do you think the lack of decent offers might be a sign that the bubble is starting to, if not burst! At least slow it's inflation?

Dont think the bubble is bursting, was getting ok ish offers in the low 9's. I think that there are relatively few buyers out there. If I were more patient and motivated I think it would sell just fine. Hell watchfinders offered me 9300 and they are bandits.

I got the tang version to spare my buckle. I think the bucklet ones look class but I am really hard on the buckle, I dont know what it is I do but I scratch it up a lot.

Cyrus, your welcome any time, I think we live close to eachother anyway.

banie01 wrote: »
    Its the SO42 is it?

Superocean 2, 46

TbL

I want to get a Stowa ...
    love the marine ones .. gorgeous ...

Might be available....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

This one just arrived, came as a part trade for my sumo.

TC-9 1970's diver and is a homage to the Seiko 6105, comes with a Seiko NH35A which is same as the 4R36 in a Seiko watch.

https://tc-9watches.mysimplestore.com/products/pvd

Not a bad watch at all but I'm not a huge fan of black coated watches so I reckon it could be going out the door as quick as it came in.

Quickie shot by me

ZmlPC28l.jpg

And a few by a previous owner

rS8476ml.jpg

Umug2g5l.jpg

C4tUgPHl.jpg

This is my uncle's Patek Philippe, he took this pic 10 years ago, sorry it's a bit blurry, I must take more pics of it when I'm home next, beautiful watch

48956915867_115eff7240.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

493707.jpeg

My new-to-me Seiko recraft courtesy of Mr Hattori of this parish. A ginormous (for me) 44mm but wears much smaller due to the design. I love the fact that it’s got vintage styling with up to date mechanicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

dakar wrote: »
    SNIP as per title.

My new-to-me Seiko recraft courtesy of Mr Hattori of this parish. A ginormous (for me) 44mm but wears much smaller due to the design. I love the fact that it’s got vintage styling with up to date mechanicals.

1st dibs if you decide to move it on :D

• Advertisement

dakar wrote: »

Lovely, Seiko are another brand I was looking at, Novak Djokovic was advertising a lovely one a few years back for them.

They had the love at the 12 for the tennis link, was pretty cool..

I regret not jumping at that

Been trying to find one since

Back from its overhaul and with a brand new balance wheel as the old one apparently looked like the clutch from a 19y.o boy racers Glanza!
    All pressure tested and near silent again...
    It makes me quite happy :)

493717.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Lovely watch. That thumb though... damn!!

Whats the story with roman numerals on watches , the 4 being IIII and not IV ?

Lovely watch. That thumb though... damn!!

Tis not in the best of health at the mo :(
    But it's definitely 100% mine :pac:

Whats the story with roman numerals on watches , the 4 being IIII and not IV ?

https://monochrome-watches.com/why-do-clocks-and-watches-use-roman-numeral-iiii-instead-of-iv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

Might be available....

Sell it back to me first :)

Sell it back to me first :)

Drop me a PM if you want it back Mick.

• Advertisement

Dont think the bubble is bursting, was getting ok ish offers in the low 9's. I think that there are relatively few buyers out there. If I were more patient and motivated I think it would sell just fine. Hell watchfinders offered me 9300 and they are bandits.

I got the tang version to spare my buckle. I think the bucklet ones look class but I am really hard on the buckle, I dont know what it is I do but I scratch it up a lot.

Cyrus, your welcome any time, I think we live close to eachother anyway.

Would you believe I agreed a deal on mine with WF yesterday , they had a VC overseas chronograph in freshly serviced that I have wanted for years at a sensible price and they allowed 9.5k for the GMT as a trade. Given I paid around 5.750 not much more than a year ago I thought it was a decent deal

Prices above are sterling btw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement