Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - a system in decline

Options
  • 13-10-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

I've been using the Luas a good bit the last 12 months having moved to a City Centre office and tbh it's a complete ****show, every day overcrowded trams are too full to take more passengers. Nearly every day so far in October there have been delays on each line due to signalling faults or failed trams (this doesn't include traffic incidents or protest marches)

Transdev don't seem to care, dept of transport don't care. The system is obviously aging but I dont get why the number of trams in service is so low at any given time, it seems the point of the service is to drive as much profit out of it as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

I work beside a LUAS red line core station and its every couple of minutes ... just looked it up its 4 thats 15 trams an hour or thereabouts in either direction which is fairly good in my view

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Transdev are the operator fulfilling a service level agreement with TII. They have no control over many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Transdev are being unfairly blamed.

The LUAS is suffering because it is a great light-rail system, and our planners have decided to treat it like heavy rail - putting more and more load on it. There seems to be this fantasy in the minds of planners at all levels, who despite the evidence of their own eyes that the system is overloaded, keep thinking there is ever more capacity available to cope with thousands of more people.

The system is bordering on unusable at peak hours in certain areas. That unusability will spread as numbers using the system increase.

We either tackle this by reducing the numbers using it, by reducing building along the line, or we upgrade it to Metro as has been the obvious answer all along. The interests of a few SUV drivers seem to be coming ahead of the interests of tens of thousands of commuters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Can it not just buy a couple of extra carriages for rush hour?

It’s regular enough I work near it it’s every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

trellheim wrote: »
    I work beside a LUAS red line core station and its every couple of minutes ... just looked it up its 4 thats 15 trams an hour or thereabouts in either direction which is fairly good in my view

If it actually ran to that frequency it would be fine, the thing is faults and delays are happening every day, if you look at the twitter page there have been faults nearly every day in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I take the green line every day. The Luas is every few minutes usually. If the Luas is packed, and it won't be a comfortable ride, I'll wait for the next one (usually within 3-4 minutes), and it'll be a much more enjoyable commute.

It's honestly a fine system that works.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Additional stock for the Green Line is due next year and the shorter units are being extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

BDI wrote: »
    Can it not just buy a couple of extra carriages for rush hour?

It’s regular enough I work near it it’s every few minutes.

Didn’t they try that already but caused traffic havoc when it stopped at certain stops and ended up blocking junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I take the green line every day. The Luas is every few minutes usually. If the Luas is packed, and it won't be a comfortable ride, I'll wait for the next one (usually within 3-4 minutes), and it'll be a much more enjoyable commute.

Some stops are like this bit on others you have to let 3 or even 4 trams pass for the overcrowding to ease at peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Luas like the dart and buses are suffering from chronic under investment caused by this government and the minister for Stepaside Garda station who doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

And yet politicians in opposition to MetroLink were allowed maintain that the Luas shouldn't be "ripped up," etc. And Eamon Ryan fueled that opposition by bleating about a south-west routing at twenty times the cost. It is absolutely appalling that the line won't be upgraded.

On another note...the speed at which the Luas is forced to navigate the city significantly reduces capacity. There should be greater segregation, less opportunity for pedestrians to wander on to the tracks, preferential traffic-light phasing, strict enforcement of traffic laws in the city and pedestrianisation of College Green. All of those is beyond our feeble institutions, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bebra

hmmm wrote: »

We either tackle this by reducing the numbers using it, by reducing building along the line, or we upgrade it to Metro as has been the obvious answer all along. The interests of a few SUV drivers seem to be coming ahead of the interests of tens of thousands of commuters.

I'm not familiar with areas around the green line(or the proposed extension) but crowding on the red line will only get worse and it can't be upgraded to Metro. According to my local paper, plans for over 2000 apartments have been lodged across different sites in the Belgard Road and Cookstown area and just under 600 apartments at Citywest. South Dublin County Council's own development plan is predicting up to 38000 new residents for the Tallaght town centre area over the next 20 years, and besides this, there's plenty of greenfield sites near Citywest which will almost certainly undergo development.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the problem is developers mad for the free price bonus building property near the luas brings, theyre falling over themselves to outdo any possible passenger number projections that anyone could have seen. Its going to get to the point where rush hour services resemble japanese train overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the problem is developers mad for the free price bonus building property near the luas brings, theyre falling over themselves to outdo any possible passenger number projections that anyone could have seen. Its going to get to the point where rush hour services resemble japanese train overcrowding.

Are transdev staff going to start shoving people in to trams to get more on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The Luas is probably the only jewel in the crown of what is an abysmal public transport system in Dublin. The only plus point about Dublin's transport system and demoralising setup for people trying to get to and from work/school/college is that it's not as bad as Galway, a place with some of the worst commute speeds in Europe.

I used to work in Sandyford and by and large I could predict to the minute how long it would take me to get to work once I reached Stephens Green, and the same in terms of a return journey in the evenings to reach Stephens Green. Granted that was 4 years ago now, but I could probably count on 1 hand the number of days where I was genuinely put out by a lack of service or delays over the course of about 40 months. It's just a pity that the bus leg of the journey was terrible both ways.

My main complaint about the Luas is how slow it is, particularly in the city. I understand why that is, but I think they could have done more to make faster speeds in central areas more feasible. Aside from that I'd not have too many complaints. If there's been a ramp up in activity it's also possibly down to the fact that the alternatives are so unreliable that people will gladly go out of their way to get to their nearest Luas.

The whole transport system is in need of a proper upgrade, and it won't be solved by bus services and by having inbuilt procrastination by incorporating conversations about running through people's gardens. These are just deliberately provocative moves in order to not spend any significant money on transport. Think of any place in the world with a good transport system and I guarantee you nobody there is talking about the quality of their bus networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

irishgeo wrote: »

id imagine their union would demand 150k a year for the drivers for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

If it actually ran to that frequency it would be fine, the thing is faults and delays are happening every day, if you look at the twitter page there have been faults nearly every day in October

Transdev up to now do not maintain the trams or the infrastructure. A separate company, Alstom have the contract for tram maintenance and infrastructure maintenance and are to blame for the recent service disruptions. They cannot provide the required amount of trams each day for service and the signal faults are their responsibility also. Some of the issues been down to lack of parts to repair faults and a shortage of competent staff . Many have left in the past couple of years and have not been replaced with the same level of knowledge. For most of these issues they are fined by Tii for not meeting their contract obligations. Due to their failings the past couple of years they have now lost the tender for the new contract going forward and have being going through the motions the past couple of months and not worried about providing a decent service. Their current contract ends start of dec. So basically the abysmal service of late lies at their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bebra wrote: »
    South Dublin County Council's own development plan is predicting up to 38000 new residents for the Tallaght town centre area over the next 20 years, and besides this, there's plenty of greenfield sites near Citywest which will almost certainly undergo development.
    Yep, the LUAS is treated as if it is has almost unlimited capacity.

The recent Ballyogan local area plan (Southside beyond Sandyford) is planning to double the population in that area. They have been told that the LUAS can cope with the extra people. At the moment, empty LUAS can be run from Sandyford because the Brides Glen LUAS line is not at full capacity - those empty LUAS are the only reason people can get on at Dundrum & beyond. What do they think happens when they have to run more trams out Brides Glen direction, and there is less capacity for spare Stillorgan trams?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Luas like the dart and buses are suffering from chronic under investment caused by this government and the minister for Stepaside Garda station who doesn't care.
    Much as people love to loathe said minister and by extension the current government, it's been a very long-term issue. Plans have been proposed but there's lot of catching up to do once we get past the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

is_that_so wrote: »
    Much as people love to loathe said minister and by extension the current government, it's been a very long-term issue. Plans have been proposed but there's lot of catching up to do once we get past the talking.

Transport in Dublin has a lot of catching up alright.

I'd estimate it at around 40 years or so. Many of Europe's medium sized national and regional Capital cities got their first underground metro lines in the 1960s or seventies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

hmmm wrote:
    The recent Ballyogan local area plan (Southside beyond Sandyford) is planning to double the population in that area. They have been told that the LUAS can cope with the extra people. At the moment, empty LUAS can be run from Sandyford because the Brides Glen LUAS line is not at full capacity - those empty LUAS are the only reason people can get on at Dundrum & beyond. What do they think happens when they have to run more trams out Brides Glen direction, and there is less capacity for spare Stillorgan trams?

Yep it's only gonna get worse when the new cherry wood development is up and running. Theres only so many extra trams that can be sent out, signals etc will not cope with a frequency of less than 3-4 mins. Amazing how many people still wait til about 8.30am to use it and complain about the crowds. Get up earlier and avoid the carnage or suck it up. Tube is no different at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

It's well past capacity on the Green route and thats with the huge Clay Farm development in Ballyogan beside the old tip to come on stream not to mention Cherrywood further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

irishgeo wrote: »

Already happens at Heuston in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

ligerdub wrote: »
    Think of any place in the world with a good transport system and I guarantee you nobody there is talking about the quality of their bus networks.

The joke is, roll out of these new "QBCs" or whatever will begin 2021 at the earliest to be finished by 2027...assuming everything runs smoothly with trying to shove politically noisy car drivers off the road, cpo those front gardens and fell those suburban trees etc. So possibly 8 years of new developments, hotels, apartments, student accomodation etc in Dublin with zero public transport infrastructure projects to take any of these peolple where they want to go.
    Maybe they are expecting/praying for a new economic collapse to come along and relieve the pressure!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Is running longer trams on the red line a feasible option?
    I know the trams on the red line are smaller than most of the ones on the green line.
    What I mean is buying new longer trams for the red line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

mcginty28 wrote: »
    Amazing how many people still wait til about 8.30am to use it and complain about the crowds. Get up earlier and avoid the carnage or suck it up. Tube is no different at peak times.

Nice glib answer but it’s busy long before 8:30, especially south of Sandyford.
    Is running longer trams on the red line a feasible option?

Longer stops needed to serve longer trams would block some junctions apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If passengers removed bags you could fit a lot more people on trams/DARTS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

removed them? off seats? or in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

is_that_so wrote: »

It's not a long term issue. They knew the dart would be over capacity 5 years ago and only ordered the new sets this year. Dart expansion has been delayed for decades. This government could have fast tracked that. The government have pushed back bus connects. They done nothing to encourage cycling or even operating a school bus. Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hmmm wrote: »

The LUAS is suffering because it is a great light-rail system, and our planners have decided to treat it like heavy rail - putting more and more load on it. There seems to be this fantasy in the minds of planners at all levels, who despite the evidence of their own eyes that the system is overloaded, keep thinking there is ever more capacity available to cope with thousands of more people.

The system is bordering on unusable at peak hours in certain areas. That unusability will spread as numbers using the system increase.

Really, in my experience its non-compliance and enforcement of road traffic laws cause a huge amount of disruption. Every rule break that delays a Luas causes 2-3 minutes minimum and that stacks up on other services quickly.

What is not acceptable and needs to be addressed is the "regular" failures Domonic-BBridge, Belgard-Saggart.

Even with it's problems, disruption is still not a major issue and remember there is no set timetable (officially) operating.

Advertisement