Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Have a Hobby?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

25*70 ?

I have 10*50 .. I guess with the 25*70 you could see the rings of Saturn, I can see the Galilean moons of Jupiter with mine, even that is impressive.
    That was a recommendation in the astronomy forum. Too strong ? Get a less powerful set ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

jiltloop wrote: »
    My hobby for the past almost 20 years has been making electronic music. I always had a creative itch that I needed to scratch so even as a kid I would always be drawing or colouring or just creating something.

Then I got into electronic music and was interested in how it was made and went from there. I've owned and sold dozens of synthesisers over the years and love spending a couple of hours getting lost in making weird sounds and experimenting with different things, sometimes I make songs but more often than not it is just a bit of cathartic and hugely satisfying tinkering.

The great thing about making your own music is when you have a tune or melody that creeps in to your head that you're really enjoying but can't place who it is and then your suddenly realise it's one of your own tunes.
    Have you heard Pogo ?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn-K7GIs62ENvdQe6ZZk9-w

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

cjmc wrote: »
    That was a recommendation in the astronomy forum. Too strong ? Get a less powerful set ?

No no .. i am thinking of getting them myself now!!
    You can get tripod for them, that will really be class...

Anyway can't believe I didn't mention Tennis, I like to play tennis since I am so unbelievably bad at football.

Also for a while there I was collecting models of commercial aircraft - mainly herpa at 1:500 and 1:200 scale.

I don;t much now, they are quite sensitive, wheels can easily break on the 1:500 ones ... annoying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Used to be big into photography but as time has gone on it interests me less,

I took up running in around 2010 and still at it, because of it I've been to some very interesting places and met some really nice people and I have memories from events that will always stay with me.

For example back in 2016 I did a 100mile race and at around midnight my 83 year old dad walked with me for part of the race when I was really struggling at around mile 75, it was wind and rain at the time and even though he was worried about me I was actually worried about him being out in the crap weather. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cabaal wrote: »

For example back in 2016 I did a 100mile race and at around midnight my 83 year old dad walked with me for part of the race when I was really struggling at around mile 75, it was wind and rain at the time and even though he was worried about me I was actually worried about him being out in the crap weather. :)

That's super cool, I love seeing how people get behind a struggling runner and that's a special memory you'll always have of your dad.

You've made me feel a little better about my run today. I'm running a defence forces 10k (An Cosantoir 10k) and came down with a dreadful chest/throat infection two days ago.

Packed my Lemsip, Strepsils and I rarely use one but I've packed two gels too because I'm feeling weak as a kitten.

Usually a 10k is a breeze to me but I've a feeling with this bug on my I'll struggle for breath on the S bends (a hilly section of the Phoenix Park), I'll think of your dad support.

Now just to clear this sh*t off my chest and get ready to check in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I keep fish , I've always had fish , theres not really much looking after them but in the evening I knock of the TV and watch them going about their business.

I've a cage bird , a little bit more involved in looking after him.Hes an entertaining little character.

I like my gardening and house plants too.

I've been researching my family history and hers too .

I also argue with her a lot just to keep her on her toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've a mini gym in my basement, love heading down there around 11pm when everyone has gone to bed and releasing all the sh*t from the day through a good workout. I also love the peacefulness of it all, do a hard set and then nothing, just the sound of my heart beating. No loud kids, no TV blaring, nothing.

I like playing around with tech, have a server rack in the basement and I am regularly spinning up something in a docker container to play around with.

During the Summer I am trying out different things on the BBQ or smoker, not always successfully though. Still a lot of fun to sit the garden with a cold beer trying out things.

During the Winter I would play a lot of video games.

Various forms of combat training and insane DIY projects mostly. Cooking other than that.

More recently spending a lot of time in my "Jedi Acadamy" idea teaching Jedi Training to local and semi-local problem youths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Holding the door open for people. I always seek out opportunities, no matter how far behind you are I'll wait.
    Whistling. Don't care where I am, I'll have a good auld whistle.
    Kills most of my spare time really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm working full time and doing a masters that won't finish till May 2021 so I find I can't really commit to anything properly anymore.

Until last year I presented a film review show.I used to run regularly nothing mad but 5/10kms but now even after going to phsyio my hip burns if I do more that a kilometer or two. I also danced into my 20's,not well mind, but I miss doing a class a week.

This summer I learnt how to scuba dive and really enjoyed it so hopefully I'll get to do some more of it but it's quite expensive as hobbies go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Tropical Fish keeping .

Have done it for years and spent a small fortune on it. Every time in finished with an Aquascape. I tend to tear it down after a few months and start again.

Tropical Fish keeping .

Have done it for years and spent a small fortune on it. Every time in finished with an Aquascape. I tend to tear it down after a few months and start again.

Any interesting newbie cock ups with that when you started? I know someone who had quite an impressive collection going but one day added - I think - an angel fish. Got up the next day and everything but the angel fish had been murdered in the night. There was only one suspect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Any interesting newbie cock ups with that when you started? I know someone who had quite an impressive collection going but one day added - I think - an angel fish. Got up the next day and everything but the angel fish had been murdered in the night. There was only one suspect :)

Yep. You are always learning as the whole point is to create an ecosystem.

I messed up with lighting, filtration, plants, substrates, co2, water chemistry, temperature and so on at the start.

There is a science behind it which you learn over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Yep. You are always learning as the whole point is to create an ecosystem.

I messed up with lighting, filtration, plants, substrates, co2, water chemistry, temperature and so on at the start.

There is a science behind it which you learn over time.

My wife has been fully briefed on my intentions to install a monster fish tank when we get our own house. I like big American Cichlids. I want a tank I have to get into to clean.

** Of course she will talk me down to a compromise of merely a large aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Video games I have more games then I ever could play the joys of getting older and haveing the money to buy them but not the time to play them.

The other hubby is lego every more or two I buy a set from China the fake stuff as its a 1/3 of the price and build it and when people call over the models are a great talking point as I have them on display in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Been a gamer since the Atari 2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My wife has been fully briefed on my intentions to install a monster fish tank when we get our own house. I like big American Cichlids. I want a tank I have to get into to clean.

** Of course she will talk me down to a compromise of merely a large aquarium.

The trick is buy the tank when she's not around for a day or two , have it filled and by the time she comes back , she mightnt notice it particularly if she's been shopping or drunk.
    Also when you buy fish , let her name one or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My hobbies include art - painting - creative writing and astronomy (stargazing with my telescope)
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    I forgot to add - reading novels and books on history and science as well as my academic field (urban geography), swimming (3 times a week), yoga, climbing and walks in the park to clear the head.
    Do you get any sleep Jupiter?!
    Makikomi wrote: »
    That's super cool, I love seeing how people get behind a struggling runner and that's a special memory you'll always have of your dad.

You've made me feel a little better about my run today. I'm running a defence forces 10k (An Cosantoir 10k) and came down with a dreadful chest/throat infection two days ago.

Packed my Lemsip, Strepsils and I rarely use one but I've packed two gels too because I'm feeling weak as a kitten.

Usually a 10k is a breeze to me but I've a feeling with this bug on my I'll struggle for breath on the S bends (a hilly section of the Phoenix Park), I'll think of your dad support.

Now just to clear this sh*t off my chest and get ready to check in
    How did the 10k go Makikomi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guy Person wrote: »
    Do you get any sleep Jupiter?!

How did the 10k go Makikomi?

Dreadful.. Only I'd have never lived down the slagging in work I'd have withdrawn if it was a civilian event.

My chest and throat are very sore and I'd nothing in the tank after about 8km.

Thanks for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Swin/run/bike , the Gym, Sim Racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Homebrewer, honselty I don't even drink that much and give most of it away.

I love coming up with recipes, doing research into beer styles. The brewing process itself can be healthy for the mind. Also we have a brewing group in the midlands and we meet up about once a month, I have since made quite good friends from that group.

There is a great social aspect to it and of course we do enjoy drinking it too, but honestly as weird as it sound it's not all about drinking beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I like gardening but I've only recently gotten into it so there's a bit of a learning curve. One good thing about that is my dad is very into it, he's a man of his generation in that he's not hugely communicative or expressive, especially emotionally, and I've found as an adult my relationship with my mother is a lot easier and closer. Like if I call him up and ask him "how are you dad?" I'll get about 90 seconds of him telling me how everybody ELSE in the family is, asking after my partner and then the conversation starts to falter. But if I call him up and ask him "hai dad, you know them lilies you gave me, when should I cut them back?" I can hear his little face light up and we're good for a half hour.

I also like reading and generally consuming media about serial killers. Until recently my phone wallpaper was a teenaged Jeffrey Dahmer standing beside a giant bong made out of snow. He's my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Trying not to kill myself while discharging CRTs in arcade machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Homebrewer, honselty I don't even drink that much and give most of it away.

I love coming up with recipes, doing research into beer styles. The brewing process itself can be healthy for the mind. Also we have a brewing group in the midlands and we meet up about once a month, I have since made quite good friends from that group.

There is a great social aspect to it and of course we do enjoy drinking it too, but honestly as weird as it sound it's not all about drinking beer :D

Plan to try that some day. Not practical at the moment but I'd like to brew my own beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Need to get back to hobbies, keep telling myself I've no time or energy which are both plain lies.

Cycling is the biggest one, competed at national level 10 years ago and kidding myself that I can boogie despite turning the pedals maybe once a month at best.

Really into my cars too, would love to get out to more meets at the weekends, great way to meet new people.

One hobby that I'm up on is watching MMA and keeping up with that world religiously. Went to one BBJ class and enjoyed it immensely, promised myself to get back sometime.

Do enough or probably too much of the reading and watching TV shows or movies. Podcast Addict and Audible are two apps that get a ton of use on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Acquiring clothes from different eras etc

The other day a neighbour told me that some washing went missing off her clothes line

I nearly sh1t in her pants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can anyone recommend any good cheap hobbies for a 30 year old? I feel like I have none apart from investing, I've ten years experience of it and amnt the worst stock picker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Music - Both listening and playing

Art - I love drawing and painting

I also love film and reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Probably more of an interest than a hobby, but 20th Century Irish political and social history. It's weird, I'm not overly interested in any other historical eras, just the country and century that I was born in. I've paid for an annual Irish News Archive subscription every year since 2008 and I've yet to get bored of trawling through all the old papers, local and national. I must have watched every episode of Reeling in the Years a hundred times over, and I think I've probably read every book that Diarmaid Ferriter and Tim-Pat Coogan have ever published.

Aimlessly driving is another one. If I'm bored or depressed or lonely or need to distract myself, I love nothing more than to get into the car and drive with no particular destination in mind. I clock up 35,000 km a year, around half of which is actually necessary.

• Advertisement

Probably more of an interest than a hobby, but 20th Century Irish political and social history. It's weird, I'm not overly interested in any other historical eras, just the country and century that I was born in. I've paid for an annual Irish News Archive subscription every year since 2008 and I've yet to get bored of trawling through all the old papers, local and national. I must have watched every episode of Reeling in the Years a hundred times over, and I think I've probably read every book that Diarmaid Ferriter and Tim-Pat Coogan have ever published.
    can really relate to this. Post-independence history in particular. Especially the slightly forgotten stories, like the the Fethard-on-Sea boycott, or the Dunnes Stores workers against apartheid.

The Irish News Archive is an excellent resource, I far prefer it to the Irish Times. People refer to The Irish Times as the paper of record, that's not true. It has only ever reflected the majority opinions in parts of Dublin. If you want to know what people were thinking about social change and news in 1934 or 1994, you'll get a far better insight from the other newspapers on the news archive.

Advertisement