Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Have a Hobby?

Options

Comments

I go greyhound racing. I also like walking. Especially in different parts of the country. I love the walk from Bray to Greystones. Or any stretch of the Waterford greenway or the Clonmel Blueway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I forgot to add - reading novels and books on history and science as well as my academic field (urban geography), swimming (3 times a week), yoga, climbing and walks in the park to clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Backing horses or a few pints is about my only hobby and somet I look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Walking, cycling, gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

when I'm not wearing sports gear or silly pyjamas on the Judo mat I'm in leather :)
    Stupid sexy Christine Important Self-sufficient!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Threads like this make me realise how boring I am. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I collect interesting grains of rice and sand. I've got a couple of really good ones.

I also blog about my hobby on YouTube . I think I have like 10 or 11 followers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guy Person wrote: »
    Stupid sexy Makikomi!

Pix are on the way via PM xoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I like to paint, I make things. I have a thing where I make models of buses. So what I do, well I don’t make models of buses, what I make is I get old, I don’t know, crates, wooden crates. And then I paint them. And they have two, basically it’s a box that’s been used to contain two wine bottles. And it will have a dividing thing. And I turn it into a bus, and I put passengers. And I paint. I paint the passengers enjoying themselves. On the wonderful bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

25*70 ?

I have 10*50 .. I guess with the 25*70 you could see the rings of Saturn, I can see the Galilean moons of Jupiter with mine, even that is impressive.

I can see the rings of Uranus...

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Threads like this make me realise how boring I am. :pac:
    Musha, there's hope for you. You did'nt mention rugby, soccer or gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I’m mildly obsessed with becoming a better guitar soloist. I’m a pretty good rock/metal shredder and I’m also decent at blues and jazz. I played professionally for years now I just play for fun, stress relief and relaxation.

I also read a lot (mainly sci-fi,fantasy, non fiction and historical). I have gotten into Audiobooks too in a big way. So I’ve always got a book or two, and an audiobook or two on the go.

I listen to a wide variety of music, everything from Rock, Metal to folk and Russian Pop. My job allows me to have Spotify on most of the day, so I’m always exploring new music.

I used to love tropical fish keeping, but renting for years makes it difficult to sustain. I plan on taking it up again in a big way once I’ve finally bought a house of my own.

I play video games, particularly strategy games.

Currently trying to get back into exercise and the Gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

My main ones would be Landscape photography, Astronomy and astrophotography.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

My main hobbies are Blacksmithing, musical instrument making, motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Cant wait for the next recession so i can take up a hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

I play the harp and still want to learn to play the hammered dulcimer and the hurdy gurdy. I also make embroderies and I sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Analyse thoroughbred horse pedigrees, write programs to automate that.
    Have two mares, a yearling, a foal, and another on the way - trying to put theory into practice.
    Have 1,000+ horse books (stud books, form books, pedigree analysis, biographies).
    The occasional wager - horses, golf, soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wild camping on remote islands with groups of strangers
    Burning 2 stroke oil
    Tinkering with engines and electronics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Reading, knitting (also work so there's crossover), crochet, walking, cycling, landscape photography, gardening.

I used to collect antiques and vintage household stuff but not anymore and getting rid of a lot.

EDIT-and sewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The daily 10pm w@nk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

jaxxx wrote: »
    The daily 10pm w@nk.

Who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just sitting here watching the missus make christmas tree decorations, cards and gifts for the local christmas fairs.

And making shure she does it right;);););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Vintage Ford cars, rallying and drinking pints of porter.

I try and go to the gym 3 times a week but that’s out of necessity more than enjoyment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I like to wander around the castle grounds drinking a glass of port.
    Some mornings I pop out to shoot some pheasant.
    In the afternoon I'll retire for luncheon and read the papers with my monocle firmly attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I like to crack the head open on a few cans and watch sport on TV.

I misread that first as "I like to crack open a few heads..."

:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Jungian psychology. I must be the self declared leader in this field in Ireland at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Video games, card games like M:tG and yugioh, reading, daydreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Fishing, I dont do half enough of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Playin fitba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Wiki
    The origin (?) of the word hobby in Tristram Shandy, a characters' "hobby-horses", or particular obsessions. (Tristram Shandy, 9 volumes 1759-1769)

The breed was mentioned in 1375 by the poet John Barbour, who called them hobynis in his poem, The Bruce.
    He also mentioned them in his work Reliquiae Antiquae, noting their speed.
    "And one amang, an Iyrysch man,
    Uppone his hoby swyftly ran..."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Hobby

Palfreys were known as haubini in France, which eventually became hobbeye.

I read that the work "hobby" came from the Irish work "obair" (work) i.e. a horse that could be used in all activities.

Advertisement