Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The last McClaren one had 12GB of ram so I'd imagine it's the same here?

You could get the 7 pro with 12 gb RAM
    Not a very compelling reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

What bugs did the OP5 have? Can't say I've ever noticed any on my one.

Same, have had an OP5 since launch and now thinking of the 7T Pro but the 5 is still cracking on and haven't noticed any bugs. Perhaps I'm just used to them?

The last McClaren one had 12GB of ram so I'd imagine it's the same here?

Ah, ok. Don't need 12GB RAM (don't even have that on my new Lenovo ThinkPad!) and whilst I like the McLaren design elements I think they'll age quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SickBoy wrote: »
    You could get the 7 pro with 12 gb RAM
    Not a very compelling reason.

When the McClaren edition was originally announced I don't think there was a 12GB version available on the other models.

My best guess is they've a contract with McClaren to do a limited edition version of their high spec model each year.

Just looking at the specs there and they look the same. The McClaren one has different icons, themes and wallpapers. It also has something called a horizon light (side of the screen flashes orange for notifications) that I don't see mentioned on the regular Pro. Looks like there's a fancier case in the box as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’ve only owned two OnePlus phones to date and in my experience the software is a big selling point of the brand.

Oxygen OS is near as good as it gets on Android imo.

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Same, have had an OP5 since launch and now thinking of the 7T Pro but the 5 is still cracking on and haven't noticed any bugs. Perhaps I'm just used to them?

I think I'd get the 7T. Although I'd prefer no notch I preferred the flat screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 7T has a notification light this time? The 6t and 7 didn't

Apparently not.

The more I think about it the more I think I may go for the 7T despite the camera housing.

One question. I have a car charger for the 6T. Would that still work on a 7T/7T Pro?

I know there’s a new car charger available for the newer phones but I’d prefer not to have the extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

adox wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I think I may go for the 7T despite the camera housing.

One question. I have a car charger for the 6T. Would that still work on a 7T/7T Pro?

I know there’s a new car charger available for the newer phones but I’d prefer not to have the extra expense.

It will work alright but probably not dash charge or if it is a official OnePlus car charger it may have a earlier version of dash charge which I'd say will be back ward compatible as I don't see any reason why they would omit backward capability from the new devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Got a OnePlus 7 pro the other day. Wow!

Went iPhone for a few years through work and I am so happy to be back on Android.

This phone is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

nedd wrote: »
    Got a OnePlus 7 pro the other day. Wow!

Went iPhone for a few years through work and I am so happy to be back on Android.

This phone is amazing.

I've only had mine a few days and yesterday was the first day that it was my daily driver so to speak with everything set up on there and whilst it impressed me at first, the last couple of days using it has made it come into it's own.

The screen is really a thing of beauty and the 90hz refresh rate, the brightness and the size of it really does make a big difference, to more of a degree than I thought. The lack of bezels is great and the fingerprint reader is 100x better than any other under screen ones.

Battery seems excellent too - I've just had to put it on charge - it hasn't seen a charger since 10pm Wednesday night before that which is highly impressive compared to my Sony XZ2 it replaced which normally I would have to top up before leaving work if I wasn't going straight home through fear of battery running out.

I don't think the gallery app is great, and not having a dedicated music app is not a great thing, the Sony Apps for these things are far better, but I've been able to hack them onto the OnePlus 7 Pro so I'm happy as larry really.

I'm a bit torn myself. The 7T looks the best value but the 7T Pro with the slightly bigger but higher res screen, 3X optical zoom Vs 2X and the marginally bigger battery has me leaning towards the 7T Pro.

I upgrade every 2-3 years to like to get the very best I can when i do as that helps the longevity of the device.

My only real concern are the curved sides to the screen. I've never had a phone with those before.

What do they do our what do they add to the user experience.

My initial thoughts are they will make holding the phone one handed almost impossible as they'll be slippy even with a case (which presumably must be trimmed to facilitate the curved screen edges?) and it'll mean a lot of mistaken inputs as my fingers grab the side of the screen.

Am i being unduly concerned ref the 7T Pro curved screen?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

54and56 wrote: »
    My initial thoughts are they will make holding the phone one handed almost impossible as they'll be slippy even with a case (which presumably must be trimmed to facilitate the curved screen edges?) and it'll mean a lot of mistaken inputs as my fingers grab the side of the screen.

Am i being unduly concerned ref the 7T Pro curved screen?

I surprisingly, as someone with big hands, haven't seen any real issues with mistaken input. The palm rejection seems good and whilst it's detected a touch of the side of the screen once or twice, that's completely eliminated with the Otterbox case which I bought, which has a lip all round the front of the screen whilst still being see through and has made mistaken inputs now don't happen at all.

The case that comes with it, if it's anything like the Oneplus 7 Pro, is crap, it's slippery, doesn't feel great, more of a gel case, not going to offer that much protection as there's no real lip around the edges that sticks out more than the most minor way,but obviously it's better than nothing.

My otterbox case clearly looks like a piece of glass fitted around the outside of the phone but the protection is really top notch and it doesn't hide the beautiful blue back of the phone, but if you're not concerned with the back of the phone being on show there's probably better cases. It's just that the Otterbox is extremely well built and gives a huge feeling of confidence that the phone will survive major impact. It's also far less slippy than the phone and gel case.

I have never had a screen with curved edges. I thinks it a gimmick as it really adds nothing. I have found scrolling jumping a little because my meat fingers have touched the sides.

All that said the screen on the pro is a thing of beauty. And the camera is miles better than any other phone I ever had. I moved from an iPhone 8 so that doesn't really day much.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Would like some advice, if possible please.

Currently have a Samsung S7, I've had this over 3yrs but battery starting to fail and fast charge isn't working for me anymore.

Would people recommend a Oneplus to someone who has only had Apple or Samsung? Main thing I would like is dual sim as I am traveling to the states and china shortly and would like a local sim for data.

Would the below link work in China as well as Ireland?

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/oneplus-7-gm1900-8gb-256gb-dual-sim-mirror-gray-cn-ver-with-flashed-os-1.html

Thanks for any help.

By way of comparison the s9 plus is available for €444 on the same website.

It should do since it's a Chinese version but like any where you would want to check the bands they use over there.

I have a Chinese version of the OnePlus 6 and works perfectly in Ireland don't know about China as I was never there.

It should do since it's a Chinese version but like any where you would want to check the bands they use over there.

I have a Chinese version of the OnePlus 6 and works perfectly in Ireland don't know about China as I was never there.

Thanks and does the 6 have dual sim?

I'm just wondering how it works in practice.

Yes it has dual SIM, works like any other phone. You can set the phone up to use one Sim for data and another for calls. Or it just prompts when making a call or text which Sim to use.

Thanks, just read a review that said there is no notification light on the locked screen to say youve a message, what's app etc. Is that correct?

Thanks, just read a review that said there is no notification light on the locked screen to say youve a message, what's app etc. Is that correct?

I'm not sure if the 7 has a notification light. Even if it doesn't it would have that notification text appear on screen every so often. So say you received a message or what not while you were out of the room and phone is on table you will see a black screen with text show if every so often so you will still know if you got a message.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if the 7 has a notification light. Even if it doesn't it would have that notification text appear on screen every so often. So say you received a message or what not while you were out of the room and phone is on table you will see a black screen with text show if every so often so you will still know if you got a message.

This!

It is called Ambient Display.

The 7 Pro has a feature called Horizon Light that lights up the edge of the screen when a notification happens. It is flakey though.

Anyone going for either of the new T versions?

Ill probably get one or the other but still undecided.

Thanks for help so far, was literally buying it and saw that it model was China GM 1900 and I see that European is GM 1903. Does this make any difference to the running of the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone buying on Thursday don't forget the referral link thread!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057978665

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone going for either of the new T versions?

Ill probably get one or the other but still undecided.

Definitely tempted by the 7T. I have an S10+ but the 90hz display and much cleaner (and faster updates) Android is really tempting.

Thanks for help so far, was literally buying it and saw that it model was China GM 1900 and I see that European is GM 1903. Does this make any difference to the running of the phone?

No they are the exact same except for different bands and different OS but that one come with Eupoean OS already installed. As I said previously I have the a China version of the OnePlus 6 and I was going to flash the Eupoean version myself but like that device it was already flashed for me. It even receives updates automatically here in Ireland the same as the European version. The only difference is different bands and cheaper.

No they are the exact same except for different bands and different OS but that one come with Eupoean OS already installed. As I said previously I have the a China version of the OnePlus 6 and I was going to flash the Eupoean version myself but like that device it was already flashed for me. It even receives updates automatically here in Ireland the same as the European version. The only difference is different bands and cheaper.

Thanks purchased, will be back with more questions when I Get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Does the one plus 7 have a headphone jack or can something be added so that a wired headset can be used. I mainly use Bluetooth buds but on long journeys i use wired

Does the one plus 7 have a headphone jack or can something be added so that a wired headset can be used. I mainly use Bluetooth buds but on long journeys i use wired

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XWYTVGF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xrlPDbE3SDY3A

There might be one in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The reviews I've read state thst there's no adaptor in the box. You need to purchase separately.

Advertisement