Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As someone who cyles to work myself fair play to them. Its shameful how bad cycling infrastructure is here.
    Way too many people clog the city centre with private cars that dont need to. The civil service have a ridiculous amount of car spaces in the city which sets such a bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’ve aleeady outlined my views on the aviation industry. It should be wound down until a zero Carbon version of aviation is found.

Well unfortunately that won’t happen anytime soon i’m afraid , even the government aren’t stupid enough to touch aviation .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I wonder did delaying the flight have the knock-on effect of planes having to circle around the airport waiting for their turn to use the runway? Which is delicious irony if it did.

I never thought of it that way. He's probably in league with BP. I'll shake that man's hand if we get a warmish summer in 2020! Here's hoping.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Would it not be down to too many cattle? I mean another poster says extensive farming is the way forward but that produces less food and needs more land. So surely we'd have to drastically reduce the herd and amount of dairy and beef we produce if we were to go down that road.
    Does anyone agree that we need to reduce the amount of cattle in Ireland?

I don't think we need to reduce number of cattle in Ireland.
    We are fairly good at rearing them.

We need to think global on this whole thing.

That means areas do what they are good at.
    That means that Ireland rear cows, sheep.
    Australia stops growing cotton, rice and vines that require irrigation and
    sucking the Murray Darling dry.

Farming in the likes of Saudi Arabia can't be sustainable when they are having to suck water out of aquifers 3000 feet underground.

jmayo wrote: »
    I don't think we need to reduce number of cattle in Ireland.
    We are fairly good at rearing them.

We need to think global on this whole thing.

That means areas do what they are good at.
    That means that Ireland rear cows, sheep.
    Australia stops growing cotton, rice and vines that require irrigation and
    sucking the Murray Darling dry.

Farming in the likes of Saudi Arabia can't be sustainable when they are having to suck water out of aquifers 3000 feet underground.

do we need a cap on the numbers? that's what I'm getting at, it can't keep growing indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well unfortunately that won’t happen anytime soon i’m afraid , even the government aren’t stupid enough to touch aviation .

Mark my words if the climate crisis gets worse as it probably will knowing human nature, all flights will be grounded at some stage in the future. As well as fossil fuel burning. It’ll get that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Best of luck Extinction Rebels of Ireland. I helped block and take one of London's bridges and am currently helping block Trafalgar Square. Be strong!

Best of luck Extinction Rebels of Ireland. I helped block and take one of London's bridges and am currently helping block Trafalgar Square. Be strong!

You are wasting your time lol

Mark my words if the climate crisis gets worse as it probably will knowing human nature, all flights will be grounded at some stage in the future. As well as fossil fuel burning. It’ll get that bad.

Mark my words in yours and my lifetime you’ll see no significant climate shift, i would bet everything i have on it . But enjoy your little doomsday bubble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Not in favor of “frightening” ppl but honestly a bit of sober reality injected into the conversation on climate change and where we as a planet are headed is well required at this stage.

Do you know the actions required so we are not headed in that direction?

I'll tell you, there's nothing we can do to not end up in the position climate acitivists say we're going to.

The only thing we can do is slow the pace of the change. People say it will give time to come up with a solution to reverse it in future.

To take inspiration from Greta, all climate activists dream about is fairytails of technology advancement which will defy the laws of physics.

Humans consume resources. There are finite resources.

Just let us live our lives to the best we can ffs, stop giving us hardship in the name of our great great great great grandchildren. Just don't have kids!

I know for a fact that I would rather have 1m people with a good quality of life than 5m people with a ****ty quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

TheRodgers wrote: »
    the man on the plane this morning is a terrorist he hijacked a plane and made demands he should be treated no different and jailed accordingly.
    He needs to be made example of . Eco terrorism needs to be eradicated .

The last time the greens were in government they spent 300k euro counting frogs as the country was heading to near bankruptcy.
    The Eu loves the Greens = Taxes , taxes lovely jubbly .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well maybe not but it’s a part of the Green Party wishlist if they get into coalition

Another reason that I won't be voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/10/blind-man-climbs-ba-plane-extinction-rebellion-airport-takeover-10895765/?ito=article.amp.share.top.twitter

Not all heroes wear capes folks... :rolleyes:

Absolute tosser should be thrown in jail and fined the cost of this delay he's caused.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/10/blind-man-climbs-ba-plane-extinction-rebellion-airport-takeover-10895765/?ito=article.amp.share.top.twitter

Absolute tosser should be thrown in jail and fined the cost of this delay he's caused.

He won’t make a Blind bit of difference !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

These people want to collapse society because they're bitter they are failures in their own lives and don't want anyone else to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

What a charming character.......... cheating in paralympic events
    The campaigner is a Paralympic cyclist who took bronze at the London 2012 Paralympic Games for Ireland in the cycling time trial. In 2016 he was banned from the sport for two and a half years for a doping violation.

blackwhite wrote: »
    What a charming character.......... cheating in paralympic events
    He’s still on the Dope . Otherwise he would not be trying to ride an Aeroplane .

At least we can argue in this thread until we're all dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Utterly ridiculous statement - the ramblings of a halfwit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

They have rightly screwed up Merrion Square.

Was walking past there today and there is a tented village in the park there and then a row of soup kitchen type operations and a stage area.

Nothing against people protesting but 90% of the people I saw there were dressed like (and I am generalising here) they just moved on from another protest.

He should be put in a psychiatric hospital.

They have rightly screwed up Merrion Square.

Was walking past there today and there is a tented village in the park there and then a row of soup kitchen type operations and a stage area.

Nothing against people protesting but 90% of the people I saw there were dressed like (and I am generalising here) they just moved on from another protest.
    Are drugs Eco-Green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

lleti wrote: »

Gerrout and get a bleedin' job !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

How you think you are going to endear yourselves to non-nutjobs and get support for doing what you are doing baffles me altogether. :o:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In case anyone is wondering I’ve confirmed a visit to the camp on sat morn possibly alone or with kids and will mingle with the protestors and take in the whole thing. That’s the plan anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They should have used a water cannon to get him down.

In case anyone is wondering I’ve confirmed a visit to the camp on sat morn possibly alone or with kids and will mingle with the protestors and take in the whole thing. That’s the plan anyway

I don't think anyone here really cares... good luck though, looks like you'll be right at home with the crazy gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds like you’ve confirmed tickets for a zoo or a carnival freak show. Just remember no matter how much the kids cry you can’t just take a protester home. They are for life and not just the protest week they will pine away if not on their natural environment blocking ordinary people going about their business and making a general nuisance of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Make sure you put a clothes peg on your nose before you go, must be some smell of that scruffy mob by now.

Advertisement