Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

gozunda wrote:
    Sorry nope don't understand a word of that. What is the question?
    Everyone reading the thread can see the deliberate facetiousness...the main conclusion that people are likely to draw, is that you want to disrupt discussion, not contribute to it...

I'll play your stupid game - here is the simplified question: Do you care if a link/source is from someone paid by notorious propagandists?

EDIT: He tried to delete it before I replied - added the quote from his post history after... - it was a direct response to my post just above this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

gozunda wrote: »
    let us proceed to talk about gretas travels in the new world ...
    (sic)

Looks like she is in south Dakota at the moment?

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1181280990259400705

Somewhere that is on my todo list!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    (sic)

Looks like she is in south Dakota at the moment?

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1181280990259400705

Somewhere that is on my todo list!

Go Greta!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Seriously why isn't she in School, is the plan for her parents to make so much money out of this sham that Greta never needs to work, it certainly looks like that's the end game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seriously why isn't she in School, is the plan for her parents to make so much money out of this sham that Greta never needs to work, it certainly looks like that's the end game.

Can you not understand the value in her deciding to take a year off through the form of a gap year to travel as she is doing and to gain more attention for her cause, as she is doing.

We have a lot of students in Ireland do transition year at this point in their education. Who do you think will have gained the most life experiences at the end of the year, Greta, or the average transition year student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    Everyone reading the thread can see the deliberate facetiousness. The main conclusion that people are likely to draw, is that you want to disrupt discussion, not contribute to it...I'll play your stupid game - here is the simplified question: Do you care if a link/source is from someone paid by notorious propagandists?EDIT: He tried to delete it before I replied - added the quote from his post history after... - it was a direct response to my post just above this one.

Sorry but I cant help lauging at that. Considering the thread is not about the Kochs or any of the other stuff you keep on rabbiting on about - I would suggest your own comments are largely facetious and 'disrupting discussion' of the topic of the thread viz. gretas travels in the new world. And there you have it for sure - "your stupid game"

And more importantly it's irrelevant whether anyone 'cares' about your concerns or otherwise. This is a discussion. Emotive supposition should not come into it.

As previously detailed you have variously failed to back up your allegations with any accompanying links or source that the other posters links are "from someone paid by notorious propagandists". Perhaps you should discuss it with the poster in question if you are confused.

So until you provide some proper backup - no one can help you - no matter how much your scream and get your knickers in a knot about Kochs-oil oligarchs-anarcho capitalists' or whatever other rubbish you keep on harping on about.

Btw you failed once again to answer the questions asked of you.
    Indeed. I've no need to restate yet again this thread is about greta travels to the new world - it's not about the the family Koch - so my opportunity to ask what exactly are you here for?

Edit: Yup hands up / mea culpa / I did it / I'm guilty. I accidently hit delete instead of edit. A la Father Jack "I'm so sooryyyyyy" :rolleyes:

What cause, what is she doing, giving governments a green light to up taxes. The only way to really cut down on emissions, deforestation, pollution etc is to stop economic growth. That ain't going to happen.
    Has Greta actually came up with any solutions besides listen to science. I don't see what she campaigns for, raise awareness to the climate ending, seriously, some people should listen to adults and not children.

Can you not understand the value in her deciding to take a year off through the form of a gap year to travel as she is doing and to gain more attention for her cause, as she is doing. We have a lot of students in Ireland do transition year at this point in their education. Who do you think will have gained the most life experiences at the end of the year, Greta, or the average transition year student?

Can you understand there is no basis for your beliefs about greta?

From a recent interview on US TV- she made no mention of returning to school when asked. What she has said is that school is effectively a waste of time as the nasty adults have ruined her future. So I call bullcrap on this gap / transition year idea you keep coming up with. The kid should be in school in Sweden and not running around another country being feted and worshipped by those who should know better.

What cause, what is she doing, giving governments a green light to up taxes. The only way to really cut down on emissions, deforestation, pollution etc is to stop economic growth. That ain't going to happen.
    Has Greta actually came up with any solutions besides listen to science. I don't see what she campaigns for, raise awareness to the climate ending, seriously, some people should listen to adults and not children.

Why is that a bad thing?
    The IPCC has produced a report with scientists from 120 countries, they are adults, Greta is saying listen to them.

what she has done is made it even more of a global conversation than it has been in the past. That is a remarkable achievement for a 16 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why is that a bad thing?
    The IPCC has produced a report with scientists from 120 countries, they are adults, Greta is saying listen to them.

what she has done is made it even more of a global conversation than it has been in the past. That is a remarkable achievement for a 16 year old her PR company.

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I cant help lauging at that. Considering the thread is not about the Kochs or any of the other stuff you keep on rabbiting on about - I would suggest your own comments are largely facetious and 'disrupting discussion' of the topic of the thread viz. gretas travels in the new world. And there you have it for sure - "your stupid game"

And more importantly it's irrelevant whether anyone 'cares' about your concerns or otherwise. This is a discussion. Emotive supposition should not come into it.

As previously detailed you have variously failed to back up your allegations with any accompanying links or source that the other posters links are "from someone paid by notorious propagandists". Perhaps you should discuss it with the poster in question if you are confused.

So until you provide some proper backup - no one can help you - no matter how much your scream and get your knickers in a knot about Kochs-oil oligarchs-anarcho capitalists' or whatever other rubbish you keep on harping on about.

Edit: Yup hands up / mea culpa / I did it / I'm guilty. I accidently hit delete instead of edit. (Gasp!) A la Father Jack "I'm so sooryyyyyy" :rolleyes:

Can you point to any other thread on Boards, which, after 5,500 or so posts has every post specifically relate to the topic of the thread title. You won't be able to because it doesn't happen. Discussions bring in other relevant topics.

You saying the Kochs is not relevant is tantamount to admitting that the poster who referred them is correct in their view, but you are pulling the 'it is not under the terms of investigation of this committee' line. Very officious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Economic growth needs to stop or were effed. Why can't so many of you understand this? There needs to be another way or it leads to war and other horrors. Of course we will continue trying to grow as is, but you'd want to be pretty stupid not to think itll end badly.

Why is that a bad thing?

what she has done is made it even more of a global conversation than it has been in the past. That is a remarkable achievement for a 16 year old.

So what are we to listen to, what are these 120 sceintists saying, increase taxes on individuals that's all that seem to be trickling down to the ordinary man in the street.
    If they said huge taxes on air and sea transport I'd say fair enough but when you have Leo defending Greta I'm like will you just shag off. You don't give a damn you just want to guilt us into more tax.
    A carbon tax is a tax on everything, prices rises across the board from a bar of chocolate to insurance. More tax means more money for politicans and their follies.

So what are we to listen to, what are these 120 sceintists saying, increase taxes on individuals that's all that seem to be trickling down to the ordinary man in the street.
    If they said huge taxes on air and sea transport I'd say fair enough but when you have Leo defending Greta I'm like will you just shag off. You don't give a damn you just want to guilt us into more tax.
    A carbon tax is a tax on everything, prices rises across the board from a bar of chocolate to insurance. More tax means more money for politicans and their follies.

How do you suggest that we all stop consuming so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Nope. That was an actual observation with a hint of humour of who as an adult and goes around quoting gretacisms as if she was someone like Chairman Mao. I'm truely sorry you dont like smiley faces :(

It isn't an actual observation, you had called out a personal slight on you but then belittle somebody else by sarcastically suggesting they were children. Just because you then claim that you were being humorous does not differentiate between the two as you can't possibly know (for a fact) the intention of the other person.

I never said I didn't like smiley faces, I only pointed out your use of one in that situation. So add a many little faces as you like to express your emotions- I'll honestly be ok (insert- thumbs up, smiley, rainbows etc.).

However, as a general point, you should actually read posts first and then comment on them.

Economic growth needs to stop or were effed. Why can't so many of you understand this? There needs to be another way or it leads to war and other horrors. Of course we will continue trying to grow as is, but you'd want to be pretty stupid not to think itll end badly.

Why don't we just move to Ethiopia and we'll all plant some potatoes.
    Enjoy the economic growth were very luck to have it. It won't last forever.

Fixed that for you.

You could use the same argument for every public figure from sports stars, though music/film starts up to elected officials, that it is their support group who is responsible rather than them.

People in the real world without sand around their ears can see Greta's message, method of delivery, persistence and content hasn't changed.

Some people feel challenged by that, some just don't want change, it's their motivations which is most curious at this point.

So vote for politicians with a different message, or support individuals trying to bring about change outside of government control.

You are lucky enough to live in one of the countries where it is easiest, from all the countries in the world, to engage in public discourse and governance, if you can be ar*ed to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

KyussB wrote: »
    Do you care or have even the remotest interest in whether or not a source you're happy to back/backslap, is known for being funded by notorious propagandists/doubt-peddlers? (and I'm talking generally, here - not limited to the Koch's)

I think everyone seeing the last couple of pages from you will know the true answer - but I want to put the question to you and see what you say anyway...(am anticipating evasion)

If you are worried about the Koch's then i'd also look up Maurice Strong ;)

Strong commissioned the report "Only One Earth: The Care and Maintenance of a Small Planet". He then established the Stockholm Conference which was the first time countries were brought together to discuss the global environment. He then established the UNEP and was its first executive director. He was one of the Commissioners of the World Commission on Environment and Development. He was appointed Secretary General of the UN Conference on Environment and Development known as the "Earth Summit" in Rio. He drafted the terms of reference for the IPCC whose studies are being relied on to support the claims of human carbon emissions driven global climate change. He was a co-founder of the 1001 Club which is the piggy bank of the World Wildlife Fund.

Why is the above interesting or relevant? Strong was an associate of David Rockefeller (Standard Oil) and Strong himself was involved in Dome Petroleum, Ajax Petroleum, Norcen Resources, AZL Resources, Ontario Hydro and headed up Petro-Canada at the request of Daddy Trudeau.

So, when you decry people like the Koch's, who i have no time for by the way, you might also want to take a look at who is behind the climate movement and then have a think about why such amoral capitalists see this as a good thing to tie their mast to.

Why don't we just move to Ethiopia and we'll all plant some potatoes.
    Enjoy the economic growth were very luck to have it. It won't last forever.

It will crash and come back as ever. Its not like ireland in the last recession had people starving to death. Economic growth and GDP cant be the sole drivers of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why is that a bad thing?

The IPCC report, a single source of flawed information that isn’t even peer reviewed.

Can you understand there is no basis for your beliefs about greta?

From a recent interview on US TV- she made no mention of returning to school when asked. What she has said is that school is effectively a waste of time as the nasty adults have ruined her future. So I call bullcrap on this gap / transition year idea you keep coming up with. The kid should be in school in Sweden and not running around another country being feted and worshipped by those who should know better.

I'm willing to bet that in a couple of short years, that kid will be enrolled in a prestigious college and likely will be studying, governance, science or some other topic which will allow her to further her beliefs.

Others will still be on internet discussion boards saying she should have all the problems fixed by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SJW Lover wrote: »

Strong commissioned the report "Only One Earth: The Care and Maintenance of a Small Planet". He then established the Stockholm Conference which was the first time countries were brought together to discuss the global environment. He then established the UNEP and was its first executive director. He was one of the Commissioners of the World Commission on Environment and Development. He was appointed Secretary General of the UN Conference on Environment and Development known as the "Earth Summit" in Rio. He drafted the terms of reference for the IPCC whose studies are being relied on to support the claims of human carbon emissions driven global climate change. He was a co-founder of the 1001 Club which is the piggy bank of the World Wildlife Fund.

Why is the above interesting or relevant? Strong was an associate of David Rockefeller (Standard Oil) and Strong himself was involved in Dome Petroleum, Ajax Petroleum, Norcen Resources, AZL Resources, Ontario Hydro and headed up Petro-Canada at the request of Daddy Trudeau.

So, when you decry people like the Koch's, who i have no time for by the way, you might also want to take a look at who is behind the climate movement and then have a think about why such amoral capitalists see this as a good thing to tie their mast to.

So you're saying some people are frauds? That's a given. What has that got to do with supporting climate initiatives?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The IPCC report, a single source of flawed information that isn’t even peer reviewed.

Care to suggest an alternative source of information with an equal number of academics contributing to it? Or where do you get your information?

How do you suggest that we all stop consuming so much?

Start with the little things, they were on newstalk yesterday and mentioned how milk used to come in glass bottles and you get a refund for returning the bottle. Jesus Dubliners really annoy me.
    My milk still comes in glass bottles and I still get a refund when I drop back the bottles. It's comes from a farm 5km away.
    So there's one little change that can have an impact, subsidise little guys like that making positive changes as it's impossible for them to compete in the local shops as things stand.
    Without capitalism I wouldn't be able to support a greener future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You could use the same argument for every public figure from sports stars, though music/film starts up to elected officials, that it is their support group who is responsible rather than them.

People in the real world without sand around their ears can see Greta's message, method of delivery, persistence and content hasn't changed.

Some people feel challenged by that, some just don't want change, it's their motivations which is most curious at this point.

Yep, It's often Messi's PR guy who dazzles up on the football pitch. And who can forget Rami Malek's PR guy's oscar winning portrayal of Freddie Mercury. :rolleyes:

Can you point to any other thread on Boards, which, after 5,500 or so posts has every post specifically relate to the topic of the thread title. You won't be able to because it doesn't happen. Discussions bring in other relevant topics.[ You saying the Kochs is not relevant is tantamount to admitting that the poster who referred them is correct in their view, but you are pulling the 'it is not under the terms of investigation of this committee' line. Very officious of you.

Lol. Nope. Again wrong. Do not understand the concept of 'relevance' no?

If the Kochs-anarcho capitalists- yada yada ****e was 'relevant that just might be the case.

It remains gretas voyage to the new world has clearly and absolutely nothing to do with the repetitive name calling aimed at PA et al - which amounts to little more than the rampant imaginings about Kochs-Anarcho capitalists - yada yada and all without proper reference or backup. But if you do like that topic so much - why not start your own thread if you wish to promote these ideas - it's easy you know!

I'll even give you a hand if you like ;)

Yep, It's often Messi's PR guy who dazzles up on the football pitch. And who can forget Rami Malek's PR guy's oscar winning portrayal of Freddie Mercury. :rolleyes:

Gees, you need every thing pointed out to you don't you.

It's when those people make a public comment on something outside of their profession that is relevant. People don't immediately say 'look what Ronaldo's PR company put out'

Lol. Nope. Again wrong. Do not understand the concept of 'relevance' no?

If the Kochs-anarcho capitalists- yada yada ****e was 'relevant that just might be the case.

It remains gretas voyage to the new world has clearly and absolutely nothing to do with the repetitive name calling aimed at PA et al - which amounts to little more than the rampant imaginings about Kochs-Anarcho capitalists - yada yada and all without proper reference or backup. But if you do like that topic so much - why not start your own thread if you wish to promote these ideas - it's easy you know!

I'll even give you a hand if you like ;)

At this point, your posts read like they are meant for a different thread.

You were making more sense when you were pirouetting from one argument to the next. Your latest contributions are..... well, they're gibberish really.

• Advertisement

SJW Lover wrote: »

You're right, except no one is advocating the words or practices of Maurice Strong on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement