Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

all this consent talk is nothing to do with rape.

Rape is something committed by evil people with zero regards for their victim, whether it be a stranger or a wife etc.
    You dont need to "learn about consent" to know rape is wrong.
    Plenty of rapists know what is right and wrong and CHOOSE to ignore that. Those rapists are sick people that deserve life terms

as for kuntz like the one in the opening post trying to convince people all men are potential rapists in this "rape culture" that only exists in her demented mind makes me feel less sympathy for what happened her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,987 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

all this consent talk is nothing to do with rape.

Rape is something committed by evil people with zero regards for their victim, whether it be a stranger or a wife etc.
    Plenty of rapists know what is right and wrong and CHOOSE to ignore that. Those rapists are sick people that deserve life terms

Premeditated rape wouldn't be affected by discussing consent with young people. But if you think everyone has a perfect understanding of consent, then you're wrong. People haves all kinds of misunderstandings, thats why we do standardised education.

I mentioned earlier about a bloke I lived with in uni. He was in his early 20s and he thought it wasn't possible to rape your girlfriend. He just thought that being in a relationship meant that sex was always on and the woman couldn't really refuse. He wasn't a sick, evil person who deserved life in prison. He was just a normal bloke with a really faulty understanding of consent. He didn't believe us when we told him so he asked his step dad and he straightened it out. He was really embarrassed afterwards bit he took it on the chin.

To think that everyone has the same understanding of consent as you, is wrong. It's also wrong to think every who doesn't automatically understand consent without discussing it, is a sick rapist and should be locked up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again. Women like sex. Prepare yourself, but sometimes...
    ... they don't like sex and don't want it...?

Don't make me post the tea video!
    (**** it, I'll post the tea video - hold on)

They are even the aggressor :rolleyes:

... in which case their partner (male or female) also has the right to say no..?

(The irony of people posting that we don't need consent videos while displaying a clear ignorance of consent awareness....!! :D )

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

... in which case their partner (male or female) also has the right to say no..?

(And some people think we don't need to worry about teaching consent?!!)

This is exactly what I was thinking. If someone is being the "aggressor" then they and their partner need to know all about consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Premeditated rape wouldn't be affected by discussing consent with young people. But if you think everyone has a perfect understanding of consent, then you're wrong. People haves all kinds of misunderstandings, thats why we do standardised education.

I mentioned earlier about a bloke I lived with in uni. He was in his early 20s and he thought it wasn't possible to rape your girlfriend. He just thought that being in a relationship meant that sex was always on and the woman couldn't really refuse. He wasn't a sick, evil person who deserved life in prison. He was just a normal bloke with a really faulty understanding of consent. He didn't believe us when we told him so he asked his step dad and he straightened it out. He was really embarrassed afterwards bit he took it on the chin.

To think that everyone has the same understanding of consent as you, is wrong. It's also wrong to think every who doesn't automatically understand consent without discussing it, is a sick rapist and should be locked up for life.

Again, you keep bringing up this story and you are not giving any derails.

Did he literally say that he could rape his girlfriend or did he say he did not have to ak for consent because he trysted her to say no?

• Advertisement

Don't make me post the tea video!
    (**** it, I'll post the tea video - hold on)

(The irony of people posting that we don't need consent videos while displaying a clear ignorance of consent awareness....!! :D )

I am in awe of your intelligence ;)

Yeah, I was more talking about a woman on top and controlling g the flow. Its funny how you immediately jumped to rape rather than just a woman using a man lime a dildo ;)

Again, you keep bringing up this story and you are not giving any derails.

Did he literally say that he could rape his girlfriend or did he say he did not have to ak for consent because he trysted her to say no?

Neither. He didn't think consent came into it if you were in a relationship. He thought sex was always on when you're in a relationship. He didn't think the concept of rape in a relationship could even arise. Do you get it now?

You're confused by his belief so the salient point is that You don't know what other people think. You understand things that other people don't understand. And the best way to straighten those things out is to simply discuss them with young people to straighten them out early.

Yeah, I was more talking about a woman on top and controlling g the flow. Its funny how you immediately jumped to rape rather than just a woman using a man lime a dildo ;)
    they didn't jump to rape. I certainly assumed you me a the "aggressor" was just the dominant sexual partner at the time. If you're doing power role play then you need to discuss consent and "safe words" to indicate change of consent Seems obvious to me and seems like a perfectly good example of what I've been talking about.

they didn't jump to rape. I certainly assumed you me a the "aggressor" was just the dominant sexual partner at the time. If you're doing power role play then you need to discuss consent and "safe words" to indicate change of consent Seems obvious to me and seems like a perfectly good example of what I've been talking about.

Dude, I'm not talking about power play. Just a normal srxual expression where the womans an active partner :S

And, yes, they absolutely jumped to rape/sexual assault. That should clear up the thread a little as most posters are using rape interchangeably with sexual assault.

I am in awe of your intelligence ;)

Think you've replied to wrong post here...?

This one doesn't actually contain the word "rape".

• Advertisement

Think you've replied to wrong post here...?

This one doesn't actually contain the word "rape".

And then you linked a consent video.

Irregardless, you definetly saw it in a derogatory way rather than just a woman enjoying a man's masculinity :P

Edit: I think it's time to hit the ignore list on this thread. G'luck everyone.

Where did I say that. ?

oh wait, I didn't say that.

Most people are aware rape is wrong regardless of whatever consent they were taught.

What pisses me off is this whole conversion about consent as if the cow in the opening post made some valid point....SHE DID NOT.
    It was a wild unfounded accusation based on absolutely nothing but the feeling of a damaged person.

And then you linked a consent video.

Irregardless, you definetly saw it in a derogatory way rather than just a woman enjoying a man's masculinity :P

Edit: I think it's time to hit the ignore list on this thread. G'luck everyone.

For you, that was some time ago. The point we're making - the lack of understanding between the words "consent" and "rape" - is something you actually keep illustrating better than we do.

Dude, I'm not talking about power play. Just a normal srxual expression where the womans an active partner :S

And, yes, they absolutely jumped to rape/sexual assault. That should clear up the thread a little as most posters are using rape interchangeably with sexual assault.

I thought the word "aggressor" was supposed to mean what it says. If you meant the initiator or something like that, you could have said so instead of using the term "aggressor". Aggressor suggests power role play.

It's almost as if this kind of thing benefits from discussion which highlights misunderstandings.

For you, that was some time ago. The point we're making - the lack of understanding between the words "consent" and "rape" - is something you actually keep illustrating better than we do.

This thread was about this supposed "rape culture".

There is none, it was something one affected victim of rape spewed out and had people running around to find invalid reasons to make excuses for said ludicrous claim.

If a person needs to be "taught" about consent, it does not bode well.
    It is like having to teach a kid killing is wrong, if the person is that type of mindset already, its a bad thing.

Thankfully those that consent is an issue for is a minority of people,
    There is n o rape culture, and any one that thinks one exists is an idiot who bought the hype

Where did I say that. ?

oh wait, I didn't say that.

Most people are aware rape is wrong regardless of whatever consent they were taught.
    We'll you said this
    "Rape is something committed by evil people with zero regards for their victim, whether it be a stranger or a wife etc.

And I pointed out one example of a guy I lived with who didn't know what rape was. He didn't know that it was rape to have sex with his girlfriend without consent.

So no, not everyone knows about consent and not everyone knows what you know. And not everyone even knows what exactly is and isn't rape. Simple as that. And that's why discussing consent with young people is important.

This thread was about this supposed "rape culture".

There is none, it was something one affected victim of rape spewed out and had people running around to find invalid reasons to make excuses for said ludicrous claim.
    Agree with the "rape culture" myth, but I think it's proliferation is more down to the overly-feminist militant column (Coppinger included) than actual genuine rape victims.
    If a person needs to be "taught" about consent, it does not bode well.
    It is like having to teach a kid killing is wrong, if the person is that type of mindset already, its a bad thing.

It's more the development of said mindset later in life. There have been numerous cases in the media where someone ended up on trial for rape or sexual assualt because they did know what consent was just assumed it or carried on (or didn't notice) after consent was revoked. Of course the party revoking consent also has a reponsibility to make it clear, but sometimes that's not possible (too drunk/high, unconscious).

As I said non-consent does not automatically mean rape.
    Thankfully those that consent is an issue for is a minority of people,
    There is n o rape culture, and any one that thinks one exists is an idiot who bought the hype

Agree.

We'll you said this .

And I pointed out one example of a guy I lived with who didn't know what rape was. He didn't know that it was rape to have sex with his girlfriend without consent.

Then that guy is a retard., and not typical of the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think virtually everybody is aware rape is wrong.

I think there might be less awareness of what rape actually is in the eyes of the law.

I've already posted it in this thread, but I'll post it again - a thread about a guy who got 3 1/2 years in prison for rape, and a serious discussion in the thread about whether it was a fair verdict or not. Plenty of people are happy with the verdict, but there is a good amount of 'hmmm...I'm not so sure' as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057851437

It wouldn't surprise me if the guy convicted in that case would never have imagined that what he had done constituted rape in the eyes of the law. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more guys like him in prison who felt the same.

I don't have any issue at all with educating people on what is and isn't rape under Irish law.

Then that guy is a retard., and not typical of the majority of people.

OK assume he's retarded. There are retarded people out there. Don't you think it's a good idea to have these discussions with young people given there are retarded ones in their midst?

PS the guy is a primary school teacher now so while his knowledge of Consent was completely wrong into his early 20s, he's a pretty normal guy apart from that.

• Advertisement

OK assume he's retarded. There are retarded people out there. Don't you think it's a good idea to have these discussions with young people given there are retarded ones in their midst?

PS the guy is a primary school teacher now so while his knowledge of Consent was completely wrong into his early 20s, he's a pretty normal guy apart from that.

by all means educate retarded people, but the average normal person knows rape is wrong, regardless of having to be taught that.
    In fact the majority of retarded people tend to be decent people who do not go around raping.

Torturing animals, killing people, raping etc are things most rational humans know is inherently wrong, and do not need to be told it is wrong to realize it wrong.
    That cow in the opening post would have simpletons believe almost all men are rapists that thrive in this make believe rape culture.

As a decent person, it pisses me off the media run stories like this and give time to women who spout such nonsense based on nothing but bitterness by one woman because of what happened to her decades ago,
    Seems its ok for women to berate all men based on nothing

by all means educate retarded people, but the average normal person knows rape is wrong, regardless of having to be taught that.
    In fact the majority of retarded people tend to be decent people who do not go around raping.

Torturing animals, killing people, raping etc are things most rational humans know is inherently wrong, and do not need to be told it is wrong to realize it wrong.

Ah. An important distinction: the guy I'm referring to would certainly have know that rape is wrong. His mistake was on what exactly is and isn't rape. His mistake is bourn out of lack of knowledge of consent.

I wonder about your assertion that everyone knows animal cruelty is wrong. I'd say almost everyone would agree that animal cruelty is wrong but they would also disagree about what exactly is and isn't animal cruelty. Internationally there are differences in what people consider to be animal cruelty. In fact, you'll find difference within Ireland. Lots of people consider the traveller's use of animal's to be cruel, but they don't.

So if people don't learn about animal cruelty, how do they come to their understanding? Is it innate knowledge? I argue standards of animal treatment (and other standards like what exactly constitutes rape) are taught and learned. If you think that knowledge isn't taught, then I'd think again.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

We'll you said this .

So no, not everyone knows about consent and not everyone knows what you know. And not everyone even knows what exactly is and isn't rape. Simple as that. And that's why discussing consent with young people is important.

Dosen't prove ****. All it proves is that your friend is mentally deficient.

Dosen't prove ****. All it proves is that your friend is mentally deficient.

Maybe he is. It demonstrates there are "mentally deficient" people out there. He's a primary teacher now so he's well within the normal range for people. And still he had this faulty belief.

There's no accounting for what other people know. Pretending everyone knows the same things you know, is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Program starting now BBC1 Panorama about Rape Culture and consent.

Guy just said listen to her body, not her words.

Should be interesting.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

anewme wrote: »
    Program starting now BBC1 Panorama about Rape Culture and PUA!

Should be interesting.

Should be completely biased you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    The woman doesn't consent. It's rape.

I just think rape should have different classifications, just like killing someone has different classifications.

1st degree, 2nd degree, something like that.

If I was going to be raped I would totally prefer it's an ex rather than a stranger. At least I know the ex has just temporarily lost her mind and isn't going to kill me, rather than having no information about my attacker.

If we're actually SERIOUSLY talking about which type of rape we'd prefer I'd so much prefer a rape from a stranger than a partner because when it comes from a partner it's someone who is supposed to love you and yet still thinks they can abuse your body.

Jesus Christ, you need help man.

Should be interesting.

I don't think these guys are representative or anything like it. But it demonstrates the are people with different beliefs about what is and isn't OK.

Should be completely biased you mean.

It's not complementary of pick up artists. Hard to tell if it's biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,680 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Should be interesting.

I thought it might be interesting and switched over to watch it, but when I heard this just now -

“Even if she’s underage, it’s not illegal to stop someone”

That’s enough of that then. Creepy fcuks.

Advertisement