Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Effects wrote: »
    That's because he doesn't seem like he's a grand lad in real life. He seems like he's a douche bag 24/7.
    I doubt he turns on and off his McGregor gimmick. It's just ingrained into him at this stage.

I don't know him, but to be fair that would probably be my take on it too.

Out of interest, if you did think he was being self aware and was just doing the smartest thing he could do to maximise his revenue would you still be mad to see him get humbled / taken down a peg etc....

I think another thing that adds to people's frustration of Gallagher is, on top of the persona, his talk doesn't match the level of opponent he is fighting. You can't level that at kiely, he talked a big game but got in there with a very high level fighter (in the striking department at the least). Just can't see how he would attract the same level of hate as the usual Irish suspects do. But it appears he does

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

“I'm sure he's probably a grand fella "in real life".”

Meh, , just as egotistical in real life in my own experience, Kiely is in love with himself . Initially I had a lot of respect for what he’s achieved but he’s lost the run of things for this one and in my opinion looks like a proper plonker out of it. If he had been even a tad more measured people would just say he was beaten by a class fighter. Just watch that Sheehan thing again, painful.

Will he even get another fight now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Of course he will, why wouldn't he get another fight?
    People lose all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You could have seen me and my two mates, who are both stocky and bald and thought we were scrotes. I'm a Sport Psychologist and a lecturer and they are both Gards.

What's that got to do with being scrotes? I know plenty of gardai who are absolute scrotes. Same goes for solicitors, doctors engineers etc.

Commenting that live events like these in Dublin attract scrotes (pretending otherwise would be ridiculously stupid) isn't the same as saying MMA fans are scrotes. Get over the massive chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Get over the massive chip on your shoulder.

Ha, we haven't seen you around here in a while. Your pleasent, informative and non judgemental posting style has been sorely missed!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    That's a perfectly fair viewpoint, I suppose, though not one I can get behind. If you actually think he's probably a grand lad in real life I can't see where the satisfaction comes from seeing a home fighter beaten.

The people talking about Gallagher in this thread for instance, I definitely don't get the sense that most of them would have an "I'm sure he's a grand lad 'in real life'" attitude!

Swearing blind allegiance to Irish fighters ended for me long ago. They're not a very likeable bunch. Being Irish doesn't get you a pass on being an unlikeable arsehole in the leadup to a fight!

Adrift wrote: »

Meh, , just as egotistical in real life in my own experience, Kiely is in love with himself . Initially I had a lot of respect for what he’s achieved but he’s lost the run of things for this one and in my opinion looks like a proper plonker out of it. If he had been even a tad more measured people would just say he was beaten by a class fighter. Just watch that Sheehan thing again, painful.

Yeah look my assumption that he's probably alright was based off nothing. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt. You're right about the Sheehan interview though.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

I meant he won’t get another prestige fight, he’s had two and although made a better stab at Lehore still came up well short. His act won’t work in terms of selling a fight now as he looks like a complete joke, he’ll be fighting bums further down the bill if he’s lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Paddy Pimblett will fight at CW111 on November 22nd in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Adrift wrote: »

They seem to believe that since they're part of SBG that they'll automatically be as successful as Conor is/was.

Its ironic since Thornton and Kavanagh go on and on about how much of a cult religion is yet SBG is the most cult like with everybody trying to act like Conor [either by being obnoxious trashtalkers or Gallagher going the full monty and morphing into a Conor clone]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Furryglove wrote: »
    The oul IRA chants and all, scum bag central

Great chant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dulux99 wrote: »
    Swearing blind allegiance to Irish fighters ended for me long ago. They're not a very likeable bunch. Being Irish doesn't get you a pass on being an unlikeable arsehole in the leadup to a fight!

My missus was just saying earlier she misses the days of Cathal, Ais, Paddy, Chris, Gunni and Conor. Local fighters on the big stage that would inspire you. Some of the guys now are just dickheads and get the limelight because they are loud. You can can see why the old guard moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    My missus was just saying earlier she misses the days of Cathal, Ais, Paddy, Chris, Gunni and Conor. Local fighters on the big stage that would inspire you. Some of the guys now are just dickheads and get the limelight because they are loud. You can can see why the old guard moved on.

they moved on because most of them weren't good enough, cathal and paddy for example and the reason the new crop are so unlikable is all down to them trying to copy conor, hes not exactly a gentleman.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I was writing a post about this last night then couldn't be arsed. But all of those that you mentioned became far bigger "stars" than any of the current crop of Gucci pretenders, the one trait they all share is none of them pretended to be someone they weren't. All very different , yet all quite popular. Shame that the current generation think the faux-Mayweather route is the only viable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

He's not but he was genuinely very funny, well able to trash talk and work an audience, as well as most importantly, an amazing fighter. Most of these guys aren't funny, the trash talk is cringe, and then underneath all that, most of them that are trying their hardest to emulate aspects of what made Conor so successful are not very good fighters to boot.

James Gallagher is a prime example. He seems to be an OK fighter, not that you'd be overly sure or confident given the bums he's being fed recently. But his whole persona is just awful, cringe inducing and so utterly repellent. I think he's possibly the only guy I pray gets knocked out each time he steps foot in the Octagon (apart from Jon Jones on occassion).

Homelander wrote: »
    He's not but he was genuinely very funny, well able to trash talk and work an audience, as well as most importantly, an amazing fighter. Most of these guys aren't funny, the trash talk is cringe, and then underneath all that, most of them that are trying their hardest to emulate aspects of what made Conor so successful are not very good fighters to boot.

James Gallagher is a prime example. He seems to be an OK fighter, not that you'd be overly sure or confident given the bums he's being fed recently. But his whole persona is just awful, cringe inducing and so utterly repellent. I think he's possibly the only guy I pray gets knocked out each time he steps foot in the Octagon (apart from Jon Jones on occassion).

Gallagher is the worst parts of Conor's gimmick dialed up to a thousand.

Conor atleast backed up his big mouth and arrogance by fighting the best and beating. Gallagher has earn the arrogant attitude that he displays.

Gallagher and every MMA fighter who feels the need to act like pro wrestler and "play the Heel". There's different types of heat.

1)I hate you and I'm going to buy a ticket [or buy the PPV] in the hopes of seeing you get your ass kicked.

2)**** You. I hate you. Get off my screen. I hope you die. I will never buy a ticket [or buy a PPV] to an event you are on or headlining. Previously known as X-Pac heat.

Gallagher is quickly approaching #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Out of interest, if you did think he was being self aware and was just doing the smartest thing he could do to maximise his revenue would you still be mad to see him get humbled / taken down a peg etc....
    I just wouldn’t be interested in him. He’d just come across as playing a knob and I just wouldn’t care about watching him really.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Conor atleast backed up his big mouth and arrogance by fighting the best and beating.

Conor was also quite funny and entertaining, which endeared people to him.

I used to enjoy seeing Conor win, but now he’s revealed what he’s like as a person I don’t care.
    I don’t want to see him beaten badly, like some people do. But in some of his potential matchups I’d rather see his opponent win.

Conor was also quite funny and entertaining, which endeared people to him.

I used to enjoy seeing Conor win, but now he’s revealed what he’s like as a person I don’t care.
    I don’t want to see him beaten badly, like some people do. But in some of his potential matchups I’d rather see his opponent win.

He was definitely funny and witty before he became a complete caricature of himself. His out of ring antics have definitely turned people off of him. Hence his mixed reception last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He was definitely funny and witty before he became a complete caricature of himself. His out of ring antics have definitely turned people off of him. Hence his mixed reception last night.

what happened?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what happened?

Part of the crowd cheered him and the other part booed him.

califano wrote: »
    Paddy Pimblett will fight at CW111 on November 22nd in London.

How’s ‘The Baddy’ getting on these days?
    Any closer to holding two belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

How’s ‘The Baddy’ getting in these days?
    Any closer to holding two belts?

When he's trying to decide which one to buy in TK Maxx.

All I see when I look at the guy is Jay from Inbetweeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Did any of you see the Bellator Featherweight Grand Prix draw last night? I loved how they done it. All 8 fighters on stage and they got to pick themselves who and when they fought next.

Pedro Carvalhao from SBG fights Pitbull in March for the belt.

Yeah I saw that. It was interesting alright. Felt bad for the guy who chose March only to get booted out of it a few minutes later! I see Caldwell is now claiming that Pitbull is 'dodging him'! I think Caldwell's totally over-rated and Pitbull would wreck him.

Poor enough card in general I thought. Gegard and Machita was very disappointing, I understand it but it wasn't a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Anyway of finding out what the fighters got for last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Anyway of finding out what the fighters got for last weekend?

No they don't have to disclose earnings. I know someone recently signed on 5 fight contract there and he said he's on 5k/5k for his first 3 fights. Pretty ****, the sponsorship you can get is probably better than the purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Well bellator had to pay out over 60k if you believe a bunch of people on here for running the show past 11pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    No they don't have to disclose earnings. I know someone recently signed on 5 fight contract there and he said he's on 5k/5k for his first 3 fights. Pretty ****, the sponsorship you can get is probably better than the purse.

I’ve seen guys on 2k/2k

Advertisement