Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1A1_9_PY8

48:44

reminds me of Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    The ref stopped Salazar from covering Gallagher's mouth which is a totally legal technique. How can a guy reffing a main event get that wrong?
    Probably a BJJ ref roped in on the cheap by Belator.

Belator putting on mismatches. Why are people still surprised by this. Kiely v MVP was always nonsense fabricated “beef”. Was anyone buying it?
    Looks to be a pretty scummy crowd. But some of the comments here aren’t much better. Don’t lower yourself to their level lads.

Gallagher needs to get his own personality. Clown. Although I’m not sure that he’s not just like that anyway. Had a similar arrogance flying over to Bjj worlds as a teenager.
    It’s a shame really, as he had/has potential. If he kept the head down be let his results do the talking he’d have some fans. Instead of alienating people by his antics.

It was a decent enough the way he snatched the guillotine quickly. And he had a bit of humility for about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

$hite walk out music from gallagher, wouldn't expect anymore from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Absolute scum in attendance, coked off their nut, Gucci gangster, insta glam gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely terrible main card. Kiely completely out of his depth, Gallagher once again headlines against a bum. Bellator are getting worse and worse for this kind of thing. Do have to hand it to Peter Queally though, that was actually an entertaining fight and an amazing comeback. His striking looked decent too. Great combo that finished it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

sonic85 wrote: »
    Aiden Power is such a terrible presenter. Is there nobody else they could've gotten to front these shows

Mike Sheridan, presents loads of stuff and actively trains mma. Probably the only qualified media person in the country to do it. Baffles me why he didn’t get the call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

So the event went on past midnight despite many on here saying no way it goes 1 min past 11pm. Any explanation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Just wondering how much one of main card fighters would get paid in comparison to the U.F.C competitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I have to say that event last night was really, really enjoyable. I was in from just after the start of the Dylan Logan fight (fight number 2 of the night) and left immediately after the MVP win (I had no interest in seeing Gallagher so we left early to grab a taxi before the crowds spilled out). There were a few others leaving at that stage too.

The crowd were excellent in the majority, I didn't see any trouble (one near incident during the MVP and Kiely fight were an Irish lad took offence to some English lad screaming non stop homosexual abuse toward Kiely). I've never seen so many lads queuing for the cubicles in my life. The cubicles were in such demands lads resorted to 2 and 3 people sharing at the same time! Wonderfully friendly behaviour!! ;-)

The pacing of the prelims were excellent. Fighters were only just barely out of the cage when the walkout music for the next fighter was starting up. I was disappointed with Crosbie's performance, he never got going. Henderson v Jury was a letdown too. The Quelly fight was the highlight of the night. I felt sorry for the two SBG fighters who were supposed to be making their pro debuts on the prelims (Ciaran Clarke and Danni Neilan). Their fights got skipped over, they were left in limbo and then both fought around 3 hours later than originally supposed to. That had to be difficult to deal with.

The place was about 70% full even before the prelims had finished and must have been at 90% for the main card which was great to see. Heard 1 or 2 Sinn Fein/IRA chants when the Fields of Athenry was played which is always cringe, but that comes part and parcel for the song if it's played at any event really, it's not the end of the world.

Overall for €60-€80 a ticket for a nights entertainment it was excellent value. For the lads saying "feel sorry for anyone who paid for that" because Gallagher won in 30 seconds, sort yourselves out and stop being so blinkered. For anyone who has been hesitant/resisting going to one of these events I fully recommend going when Bellator are back in February. The tickets priced at €80ish euro are probably the best value when it comes to your position/view of the cage.

Just wondering how much one of main card fighters would get paid in comparison to the U.F.C competitors?

They don't get paid much. I know of an Irish lad who fought on Bellator Dublin earlier this year who turned down a 6 fight contact from them because they were only offering €15k (€3.5k per fight). The likes of Crosbie, Gallagher, Quelly & Kiely would probably have been getting more but I couldn't tell you how much more as I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Whelo79 what did you make of the decision in the McCabe vs Mulpeter fight? I've heard it was controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was there last night and tbh, it was a grand night, load of good fights to watch, deighted to see Richie Smullen get the finish, smashing performance from Neilan too, disappointed for Will and Blaine O'Driscoll.

The crowd was no different to any other MMA event I've been to, in fact it was better than usual and there seemed to be a decent atmosphere for the entirety. Every event you go to in Ireland there is always going to be a pocket of morons so in the main the spouting here about scummy crowds is uncalled for.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    @Whelo79 what did you make of the decision in the McCabe vs Mulpeter fight? I've heard it was controversial.

It was a tight call. I had it as a split decision maybe in McCabe's favour but it wasn't hugely controversial. How one judge can have it 30-27 for McCabe but the other two go 29-28 to Mulpeter is weird. Maybe that indicates how close each round was.

the spouting here about scummy crowds is uncalled for.

You'll notice that nonsense is coming from lads who didn't even go to the event and spend most of their time on here fighter bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You'll notice that nonsense is coming from lads who didn't even go to the event and spend most of their time on here fighter bashing.
    There was a fair few scrotey looking folks around when I was walking to the Luas, but it is that part of Dublin.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    There was a fair few scrotey looking folks around when I was walking to the Luas, but it is that part of Dublin.

Everyone looks like a scrote when you see them heading to the 3 Arena and you know an MMA event is on. You could have seen me and my two mates, who are both stocky and bald and thought we were scrotes. I'm a Sport Psychologist and a lecturer and they are both Gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Why was MVP docked a point?

Beersmith wrote: »
    Why was MVP docked a point?

Unsportsmanlike behavior apparently (pretended to take a selfie of himself)

Check his post fight press scrum interview and he goes into some detail. Seems to be some beef between himself and the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The crowd was grand. Dunno what people are whinging about. They were a standard rowdy MMA crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kiely fined $1,000 as well. I would imagine that's probably half what he got paid if not more. Fines being considered against MVP as well.

• Advertisement

I'll tell ye what lads, go back and watch Richard Kielys interview with Sean Sheehan during the week where he got seriously ratty. Makes for hilarious watching now. Sean loves gloating about when he's right so I'd say he's being eaten alive not being able to gloat about this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Everyone looks like a scrote when you see them heading to the 3 Arena and you know an MMA event is on. You could have seen me and my two mates, who are both stocky and bald and thought we were scrotes. I'm a Sport Psychologist and a lecturer and they are both Gards.
    I'm from around there, I know the difference :)

I actually forgot it was on, despite seeing Gallaghers mush on the Centra when I was walking past to get my lunch most days.
    Wouldn't have minded going myself, atmosphere is usually decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Everyone looks like a scrote when you see them heading to the 3 Arena and you know an MMA event is on. You could have seen me and my two mates, and thought we were scrotes.

I'd doubt that. Just cause there's an MMA event on I wouldn't look at someone and think they were a scrote. You can generally tell if someone's a scrote, regardless of what's going on nearby.

Effects wrote: »
    I'd doubt that. Just cause there's an MMA event on I wouldn't look at someone and think they were a scrote. You can generally tell if someone's a scrote, regardless of what's going on nearby.

Ah I was exaggerating a bit but a lot of people have preconceived ideas on what an MMA fan is. Hence the people in here who weren't even at the event spouting the usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

I’m glad Kiely was walloped. He’s a complete clown, who doesn’t have the skills to back up his trash talk. Completely annihilated by a superior athlete. There’s a lot to be said for respect and humility in sport.

Some select Kiely quotes

“One Of the best? I am the best!!!”

“He’s never fought anyone like me, I can fight close, I can strike from distance”

Yet after being thumped for about a minute he leaves himself wide open to be knocked out.

Note to aspiring fighters, hone your craft instead of putting time into trash talk. McGregor did it well but be your own fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MVP and humility. LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Adrift wrote: »
    I’m glad Kiely was walloped. He’s a complete clown, who doesn’t have the skills to back up his trash talk. Completely annihilated by a superior athlete. There’s a lot to be said for respect and humility in sport.

Some select Kiely quotes

“One Of the best? I am the best!!!”

“He’s never fought anyone like me, I can fight close, I can strike from distance”

Yet after being thumped for about a minute he leaves himself wide open to be knocked out.

Note to aspiring fighters, hone your craft instead of putting time into trash talk. McGregor did it well but be your own fighter.

Can't get the kiely hate at all. He's at least 36, works full time and did his best to make a few bob out of mma despite his very late start in it.

The smack talk got bellator to give him a fight against MVP, he probably earned more than he did in his other 4 pro fights combined, and although it was a ridiculously long shot, if he had won it would have catapulted him into the mix.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Now to give full disclosure, he is a friend of a friend, so some bias here, but he is a genuinely sound, level-headed lad in the real world, all smack talk etc is very much tongue in cheek and a means to an end.

Having watched the fight I'd take much more issue with MVPs antics. Everything he said beforehand proved to be true. He was levels above kiely, it was a clear mismatch. So no need for the post fight gloating etc...all he did was beat someone who shouldn't have been in the ring with him in the first place as he suggested many times. Masvidal-Askren, this was not.

People talk sh*t to sell a fight. Fans can form an opinion of someone based on this sh*t talk, and then begin to dislike the person. If that person gets beat, then the fans will voice their happiness at this.

I'm one of those fans. I thought he came across like a monumental wanker in the leadup. I lold when he got beat. That's the game he's in - make all the noise to have the eyes on you, and then when people laugh you have to suck it up. I'm sure he's fine with that, and I'm sure he's probably a grand fella "in real life".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

dulux99 wrote: »
    People talk sh*t to sell a fight. Fans can form an opinion of someone based on this sh*t talk, and then begin to dislike the person. If that person gets beat, then the fans will voice their happiness at this.

I'm one of those fans. I thought he came across like a monumental wanker in the leadup. I lold when he got beat. That's the game he's in - make all the noise to have the eyes on you, and then when people laugh you have to suck it up. I'm sure he's fine with that, and I'm sure he's probably a grand fella "in real life".

That's a perfectly fair viewpoint, I suppose, though not one I can get behind. If you actually think he's probably a grand lad in real life I can't see where the satisfaction comes from seeing a home fighter beaten.

The people talking about Gallagher in this thread for instance, I definitely don't get the sense that most of them would have an "I'm sure he's a grand lad 'in real life'" attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    The people talking about Gallagher in this thread for instance, I definitely don't get the sense that most of them would have an "I'm sure he's a grand lad 'in real life'" attitude!

That's because he doesn't seem like he's a grand lad in real life. He seems like he's a douche bag 24/7.
    I doubt he turns on and off his McGregor gimmick. It's just ingrained into him at this stage.

Advertisement