Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Has anyone ever been removed from the course for wearing headphones? That might stop the rebellion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Wow wow let's not start a rebellion on my log ;)

After doing my half marathon i think i will sacrifice the headphones! I actually think I focused more & i do want to soak up as much atmosphere as possible in case this is my only marathon :eek:

But while i am still training i shall have the tunes blasting:)
    Before i list some of my tunes i shall say my playlist is quite unique but my family just call it weird haha
    Pump it, ain't no mountain high enough, all you need is love, Don't stop me now, cheap thrills, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, abc, bed of roses, dangerous love & my defo fave marathon song(not one bit cliche) is One moment in time :) many of my weird & wonderful tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Ain't No Mountain sounds like a good one for a hilly run. My playlist is a bit erratic too - varies from 80s ska to heavy metal, rap and cheesy pop! I didn't use earphones at the dublin half but might have appreciated it at certain stages. I'm thinking of bringing them with me to DCM but only using them if my brain starts screaming at me louder than the crowds!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Ain't No Mountain sounds like a good one for a hilly run. My playlist is a bit erratic too - varies from 80s ska to heavy metal, rap and cheesy pop! I didn't use earphones at the dublin half but might have appreciated it at certain stages. I'm thinking of bringing them with me to DCM but only using them if my brain starts screaming at me louder than the crowds!

Haha i know that fear :eek:

Tues 1st of Oct- 2m w/u, 35mins @8.15/8.30, 5mins jog,30 mins @7.50/8.05, 2m c/d

Mile 1 - 10.06
    Mile 2 - 9.50
    Mile 3 - 8.17
    Mile 4 - 8.20
    Mile 5 - 8.17
    Mile 6 - 8.25
    Mile 7 - 1.38(.20mi)
    Mile 8 - 5.00(.49mi)
    Mile 9 - 7.54
    Mile 10 - 8.03
    Mile 11 - 7.52
    Mile 12 - 6.09(.75mi)
    Mile 13 - 10.40
    Mile 14 - 10.35

Total - 12.44mi

Thankfully the rain held off for this run but i could definitely feel a chill so opted for my long sleeve running top. Set my watch up & off i went. The 1st 2 miles felt ok, felt like my legs were heavy. Then i did the 1st 35mins at pace & i loved it. I kept the pace as steady as possible & it felt nice & controlled. Went into my 5min jog which too felt ok. Then i went into the next pace for 30mins. Was worried i might not be able to keep this consistent but again once i got into the flow it felt great! It's nice having a bit of variety & testing my abilities :)
    Took it really handy for my cool down, at this stage it was pitch dark again so was happy to be home.
    Overall i really enjoyed this session:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice positivity around here. Just wondering, have you changed from the Boards plan?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice positivity around here. Just wondering, have you changed from the Boards plan?

Thanks a mill! :D Yes the positivity is here! Training is going really great and I'm not feeling over tired at all.

I am mostly following the boards plan. I have taken a bit of advice on changing the sessions a little bit cos it was pointed out to me that I ran 10 miles in the medics half marathon faster than I raced Frank Duffy :eek: I just wanted to challenge myself a bit without overdoing it now in training.

Wednesday 2nd of October - 5m easy

Mile 1 - 10.19
    Mile 2 - 10.14
    Mile 3 - 10.14
    Mile 4 - 10.21
    Mile 5 - 10.11

Headed out on my usual route. A good few runners out this evening. Took it nice and easy for the whole run & felt good :)

Thursday 3rd Oct - Easy run

Mile 1 - 9.55
    Mile 2 - 10.20
    Mile 3 - 10.22
    Mile 4 - 10.27
    Mile 5 - 10.16

Was determined to get this done 1st thing this morning incase it was too bad weather wise but it just didn't happen. Was glad when i got home to see the weather wasn't too bad at all. I set off & decided to change my route slightly...big BIG mistake!! I ran by a few bungalows & this tiny, extremely ANGRY terrior came charging for my ankle:eek: It was fight or flight mode & i certainly didn't fancy taking on the little fecker so i legged it & thankfully got away from him! I looked across to see some bloke in stiches laughing...yeah bloody hilarious:(
    So with my heart racing i continued on my run & completely slowed my pace down.
    Almost another week down, starting to feel very real now:eek:

Friday 4th October - 1m w/u 60mins 8.45/9.05 1m c/d

Mile 1 - 10.02
    Mile 2 - 8.52
    Mile 3 - 8.49
    Mile 4 - 8.47
    Mile 5 - 8.44
    Mile 6 - 8.43
    Mile 7 - 8.56
    Mile 8 - 7.06(.78mi)
    Mile 9 - 10.12

Went out as soon as i could as its been getting darker earlier. 1st mile was very handy felt good. Went into the faster pace & tried to keep this as consistent as possible. I'm starting to feel like Dr Dolittle at this stage haha, as i was running 2 rats decided to run out ahead of me "shudder" ugh i hate them so i kinda froze but i think they got more of a fright than me & they ran back into the bushes:eek: Really don't think i could have taken another animal attack :pac:
    I felt i managed the hour quite comfortably and enjoyed it. Long run tomorrow then taper time!

Hopefully all the training pays off, having a few doubts but I'm sure it will pass!

• Advertisement

Sat 15th Oct - 3hr LSR - 17.79miles - average 10.09min per mile

Warning - animal theme continues:rolleyes:

Got up with the intention of heading out early! Had my brekkie, sorted my stuff & was ready to head out the door when my daughter called me to go into my son. He was sitting on his bed googling "what does it mean if my tongue is blue?" As he has asthma i took him straight to A & E to be told he may have a small virus but nothing to worry about. They also told me to watch him because like me he sleeps on his tummy & he remembers when he woke up that is face was right in the pillow:eek: Got him home & all tucked up on the sofa & headed out!

Why oh why did the 1st few miles feel so tough??? My legs felt heavy then those stupid doubts i thought i had put to bed crept back in :(
    What if i let people down? What if i let the mentors down? What if i let myself down?? I had to tell myself to snap the hell out of it...this isn't me, why am i letting these thoughts in???
    I shook myself off & decided to think about the positives...how up till the beginning of this year i thought 10k was long distance, how when i went on my 1st 8mile run after getting to mile 4 i'd be thinking, oh god ive only ran 4miles :eek: but now when i was running 18miles & get to mile 8 i'm saying yes 8 miles already only 10 to go:) The difference in my running is unbelievable, i fully committed to this & have given all i possibly could, so for that i will be proud;) After thinking all this it was like it was a different run!! I felt so much lighter & the running felt easier which was really helped by all the huge smiles from fellow runners - taper was defo in the air :D
    Another huge positive is the money i have raised so far for the Irish kidney Association, well past my target which is brilliant. My friend Sandra came to Vegas with us & told us how much personally they have done for her which is great to hear:)
    I headed down the canal towards the 9th lock to add miles on my run. As i was running i spotted ANOTHER loose dog, only this time it was a husky as big as myself :eek: He was in the estate so i carefully ran past & was hoping by the time i had to turn back he'd be gone...nope...he had decided to head out onto the canal...the path i was running on!!! No way was i passing him so i headed into the estate with the intention of avoiding him :) Imagine my horror when i turned the corner to run straight into him:eek: i just stopped & walked very slowly, he came over & sniffed me then some man let a little shout & he wandered off
    ...i thanked the man & continued on my way giving out about people letting dogs out without leads for a bit and wondering if this was Karma biting me in the ass for me slagging Mr Guppa a few weeks ago with the dogs in Citywest:pac:
    It started raining as i headed back out onto the new road but i actually welcomed it as it was quite mild!
    Have to say once i banished those silly thoughts i really enjoyed the rest of the run!

Another week closer now, feels mad to think where i was compared to where i am now...what a journey so far:D

Sun 6th Oct - Recovery run @ roughly 10.30mins per mile.

Finally talked my son into heading out with me on his bike. We headed off & got into a pace but he kept stopping and calling me then chatting etc so thats why my miles were a little erratic:D Was glad to get him out for the exercise & fresh air!

Checked my milage for the week & i have ran 57.8miles:eek: chuffed with that!
    Seen on the KBC page 3 weeks today we will be running the marathon:eek: i actually got butterflies from the excitement of the thoughts of it! Bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's an absolutely massive week you've put in - well done! There's no need to feel disheartened that you were tired for Saturday's run - it's be expected on the back of such a big week. Mind yourself for the next three weeks during the taper. All the hard work is now done - use the next three weeks to rest and recover - there is nothing to be gained from pushing yourself during this period. Taper well and you'll reap the rewards in THREE weeks time!

Huge well done on all the money you've raised - very impressive.

Also, karma is a b*tch :D

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's an absolutely massive week you've put in - well done! There's no need to feel disheartened that you were tired for Saturday's run - it's be expected on the back of such a big week. Mind yourself for the next three weeks during the taper. All the hard work is now done - use the next three weeks to rest and recover - there is nothing to be gained from pushing yourself during this period. Taper well and you'll reap the rewards in THREE weeks time!

Huge well done on all the money you've raised - very impressive.

Also, karma is a b*tch :D

Thanks a mill, looking at it properly i am really thrilled with the training & i honestly couldn't have done it without the mentors & all the support from this thread, so thank you :)

I am genuinely shocked & thrilled with the amount raised, almost 1000euros on line & a few sponsor cards in work:eek: I love how people can come together when something like this is happening :)

Finally hahaha yes Karma is indeed a b*tch, so if ye wouldn't mind turning off that hex you put on me it would be greatly appreciated;)

Wk 16 - Tues 8th Oct - 5m easy

Ran an average of 10.22mins per mile. Was a nice run, very blustery out but a bit refreshing too!
    Felt extremely weird not running yesterday after last weeks efforts but glad of the break too(once i convinced myself it's OK to rest too haha).

My thoughts are definitely on the marathon almost all of the time:pac: Still unsure of a few things but will figure them out one way or another :)

Weds 9th Oct - 1.5m w/u, 12mins@7.50/8.05, Jog 4mins, 15mins@8.15/8.30, 5mins Jog, 12mins@7.50/8.05, 2m c/d

Got held up in work so late enough heading out. Missed the rain thankfully so decided to leave the rain jacket at home - really glad i did as it ended up warm. Felt good the whole run & more disciplined with my paces, still not perfect changing from one pace to the next but getting there.
    Again it seemed to get dark all of a sudden so need to watch this as i'm running alone!
    Overall a good session :)

Thurs 10th - 5m Easy

Ran this as easy as possible so averaged 10.07mins per mile. Happy with this,nice to run again at lunch but had so much on & knew i'd be late again in work & nails done straight after ;) so the evening wasn't an option - a blessing really with that torrential rain.
    Defo happy to be resting tomorrow for my lsr on Sat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Weds 9th Oct - 1.5m w/u, 12mins@7.50/8.05, Jog 4mins, 15mins@8.15/8.30, 5mins Jog, 12mins@7.50/8.05, 2m c/d

Got held up in work so late enough heading out. Missed the rain thankfully so decided to leave the rain jacket at home - really glad i did as it ended up warm. Felt good the whole run & more disciplined with my paces, still not perfect changing from one pace to the next but getting there.
    Again it seemed to get dark all of a sudden so need to watch this as i'm running alone!

Thurs 10th - 5m Easy

Ran this as easy as possible so averaged 10.07mins per mile. Happy with this,nice to run again at lunch but had so much on & knew i'd be late again in work & nails done straight after ;) so the evening wasn't an option - a blessing really with that torrential rain.

I dodged the rain too today! It's the little things :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Thurs 10th - 5m Easy

I dodged the rain too today! It's the little things :)

I was driving in it & my wipers couldn't even go fast enough it was that heavy:eek:

Sat 12th Oct - 13m lsr

Tried to keep the paces between 9.50 - 10.00

9.54, 9.54, 9.54, 9.49, 9.53, 9.50, 9.56, 9.55, 9.53, 9.50, 9.50, 9.57, 10.11

I ended up heading out a bit later than usual as i got stuck into Kipchoge breaking his record!! It was amazing watching it & inspirational if nothing else! I really love that he had a dream, a goal in his head & heart & worked hard to achieve it...i don't really think you can ask for more :D

So i headed out on my run feeling all warm & fuzzy ha! The weather was fab actually felt like perfect running conditions for me! Was thrilled to see the 1st 3 miles so consistent, although i had to slow it down a few times as my legs felt very fresh so it would have been easy to get carried away, definitely something i will have to watch on the day!
    The next mile was slightly faster but thats became a chap that i have passed every sat for the last 12 weeks at least ran up beside me & we chatted for a few mins so lost track a little, his 1st marathon too,he headed off & i slowed back down :)
    The rest of the run was really nice especially as it was ONLY 13 miles :D imagine at the beginning of all this i couldn't have even imagined running that distance!!

Can't believe it's almost another week over!! I can't wait to give it my all & hopefully reap the rewards on the day, if the day doesn't go my way i am proud to say it won't be from the lack of training & determination ;)

Sure if Kipchoge can get sub 2 surely i can get sub 4 :D

Sun 13th Oct - 2 easy miles

10.13, 10.16

If i have a run in the morning or straight after work i'm so focused up & out (usually) but give me a recovery run on a Sunday & the procrastinating is UNBELIEVABLE, got the shopping & thought right let the others put it away & head out, nope cleaned the fridge, helped put it away then decided it would be best to put the dinner on so it would be cooking while i'm out! Right upstairs & get changed, simple right? Nope decide to reorganise my running gear, which has now over flown into a second drawer  Everything all sorted & finally got out for my run, but on the plus side the weather was fab & my running drawer is all sorted ;)

Week 17 :eek: Tues 15th Oct 4miles easy

10.03, 10.15, 10.27, 10.21

I ran my easy miles tonight wearing my Irish kidney Association top for the 1st time(my friends mam altered it by taking the sleeves out for me as i can't stand when i get too hot running) and as i was running listening to whitney blasting out 'give me one moment in time, when i'm more than i thought i could be' i got proper butterflies of excitement in my stomach thinking of those last miles, the support, then crossing that finish line, seeing my friend there & feeling so happy & proud & emotional i'm sure! As Mr Guppa pointed out there are so so many reasons that people run marathons & each one is as valid as the next  Also today i checked sponsor cards & online & so far i am up to 1,400euro 

Truly grateful & overwhelmed by this...now all i have to do is run 26.2 miles :D

• Advertisement

Weds 16th - 1.5m w/u, 10min@8.15/8.30, 4min jog, 8@7.50/8.05, 4min jog, 10@8.15/8.30, 4min jog, 8@7.50/8.00, 1.5m c/d

Went out for this session after work so was concious of the time & wanting to get it done before the dark!
    I really enjoyed this session, enjoyed the slow parts but the fast even more. I think i paced it well & was able to keep them very consistent! Didn't make it home before the dark but i was back on the main road with lights etc so wasn't too worried:)

Thurs- 17th 4miles easy

10.01, 10.08, 10.10, 10.17

Nice easy run, legs felt good no complaints!

Sat -19th - 8mile LSR

10.11, 10.08, 10.14, 10.10, 10.14, 10.12,10.12, 10.33

Went out early enough for this run & really felt the cold! Took a couple of miles to warm up properly but was fine once i did. Took it really slowly & enjoyed it. Thoughts kept straying towards the big day & the fact that this was technically my very last lsr(for this training plan) then a few songs came on that reminded me of people or why i actually decided to do it...cue the tears :( it actually made me feel quite emotional so prob a good thing i won't have my music on the day(absolutely nothing to do with Skyblue46 harping on & on & on about no headphones;) ) It's been an emotional as well as a physical rollercoaster but one i have thoroughly enjoyed :D
    My confidence has really come on & it feels amazing but by no means is it cockiness!! I have a plan and i hope it goes my way but just as the distance is unknown territory to me so is my plan! I have always been into sports or just keeping fit & i'd say i literally tried my hand at most sports but i had to try really really hard to be any good! I joined a women's soccer team in my late 20's and i think they tried me in every position, eventually keeping me in defence. In fairness i was good there but even with my speed i couldn't score in an empty goal:eek: my aim was shocking!! Point is i really had to work hard to even get a game each week, absolutely nothing wrong with that in fact you learn so much but with running its unreal...i just feel like i am naturally good at this, even before i knew what paces & race plans were i was getting told my pbs were really good for someone starting out :eek: this filled me with confidence & infact gave me the push to enter my very 1st marathon which i will be completing in almost 1 weeks time :eek:

Maybe just maybe i will have my dream day next Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Weds 16th - 1.5m w/u, 10min@8.15/8.30, 4min jog, 8@7.50/8.05, 4min jog, 10@8.15/8.30, 4min jog, 8@7.50/8.00, 1.5m c/d

Went out for this session after work so was concious of the time & wanting to get it done before the dark!
    I really enjoyed this session, enjoyed the slow parts but the fast even more. I think i paced it well & was able to keep them very consistent! Didn't make it home before the dark but i was back on the main road with lights etc so wasn't too worried:)

Thurs- 17th 4miles easy

10.01, 10.08, 10.10, 10.17

Nice easy run, legs felt good no complaints!

Sat -19th - 8mile LSR

10.11, 10.08, 10.14, 10.10, 10.14, 10.12,10.12, 10.33

Went out early enough for this run & really felt the cold! Took a couple of miles to warm up properly but was fine once i did. Took it really slowly & enjoyed it. Thoughts kept straying towards the big day & the fact that this was technically my very last lsr(for this training plan) then a few songs came on that reminded me of people or why i actually decided to do it...cue the tears :( it actually made me feel quite emotional so prob a good thing i won't have my music on the day(absolutely nothing to do with Skyblue46 harping on & on & on about no headphones;) ) It's been an emotional as well as a physical rollercoaster but one i have thoroughly enjoyed :D
    My confidence has really come on & it feels amazing but by no means is it cockiness!! I have a plan and i hope it goes my way but just as the distance is unknown territory to me so is my plan! I have always been into sports or just keeping fit & i'd say i literally tried my hand at most sports but i had to try really really hard to be any good! I joined a women's soccer team in my late 20's and i think they tried me in every position, eventually keeping me in defence. In fairness i was good there but even with my speed i couldn't score in an empty goal:eek: my aim was shocking!! Point is i really had to work hard to even get a game each week, absolutely nothing wrong with that in fact you learn so much but with running its unreal...i just feel like i am naturally good at this, even before i knew what paces & race plans were i was getting told my pbs were really good for someone starting out :eek: this filled me with confidence & infact gave me the push to enter my very 1st marathon which i will be completing in almost 1 weeks time :eek:

Maybe just maybe i will have my dream day next Sunday:D

That football team don't know what they're missing! ;)

Good luck with the final week :eek::eek::eek:

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    That football team don't know what they're missing! ;)

Good luck with the final week :eek::eek::eek:

Hahaha thanks so much :D In fairness i wasn't a natural footballer:eek:

Best of luck to you too! I really think this taper business has me all emotional;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I love your enthusiasm and confidence. Your training has been excellent and your positivity always shines through. You deserve a great day next week. Just smile your way through it and have fun high fiving the kids and enjoy the crowds. Skyblue frequently accuses me of showboating throughout my first DCM - but I enjoyed every minute and that’s what I remember more than any time.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I love your enthusiasm and confidence. Your training has been excellent and your positivity always shines through. You deserve a great day next week. Just smile your way through it and have fun high fiving the kids and enjoy the crowds. Skyblue frequently accuses me of showboating throughout my first DCM - but I enjoyed every minute and that’s what I remember more than any time.

Thank you so much. I think i have found something i really love(as in the structure & discipline of the plan) but also the glory in the day :) I am definitely a smiler & believe its contagious so that won't be a problem, i really can't wait to soak up the atmosphere :D
    Haha i'm sure thats what has been thought of me too ;)

Can't believe this time next week it will be my final sleep before my very 1st marathon:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Here's my tuppence worth. You can of course tell me to go take a running jump, but hey, opinions are free!

From what we can see from training and the odd race, and your 'profile', you seem to be a fine runner who will do better times in the near future once you stay healthy and injury free.

I think the whole emotion/smile/high-five everyone is massively over-rated. Now that may be because I'm a sour auld bollix but hear me out. This is a race and you have sacrificed time and effort to put in a decent training block. During the race concentrate on running (!!!). There'll be plenty of time for emotion at the finish and afterwards.

Yes, I know it's not the Olympics but I don't see why you shouldn't aim for the best time you can run on the day.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This is one reason I think I might love you....but I'm a cranky auld bollix too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I think you should be able to go *well* under the 4hours, laineyfrecks. But of course talk to the people who know your training best and come up with a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

You’ve loved the training and have enjoyed and excelled in each race you have complete . No reason why you can’t enjoy and excel in DCM . I’m a tiny bit envious of your sheer delight with this running lark - and of course your speedy legs !!

Have a great race !

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Here's my tuppence worth. You can of course tell me to go take a running jump, but hey, opinions are free!

From what we can see from training and the odd race, and your 'profile', you seem to be a fine runner who will do better times in the near future once you stay healthy and injury free.

I think the whole emotion/smile/high-five everyone is massively over-rated. Now that may be because I'm a sour auld bollix but hear me out. This is a race and you have sacrificed time and effort to put in a decent training block. During the race concentrate on running (!!!). There'll be plenty of time for emotion at the finish and afterwards.

Yes, I know it's not the Olympics but I don't see why you shouldn't aim for the best time you can run on the day.

Best of luck.

Haha firstly i would never be that rude ;) & yes opinions are free & i always appreciate when someone gives me theirs, weither or or not i agree with it is a different matter although:D

Mad thing is i seem to get along with "sour auld bollixes"...

Seriously i do smile a lot naturally even in races & yes i have been called tiny tears on many many occasions BUT i have worked my ass off for 16 weeks, getting to grips with pacing, race terminology, slowing down etc. My aim next Sunday is to get the best possible time i possibly can & believe me thats what I'm going out to do!
    Now if i can get my best possible time whilst smiling & maybe shedding a few tears then we'll all be winners ;)

Thank you.

Advertisement