Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Oneiric 3 wrote:
    The mistake people often make about journalists, no matter what media outlet they are working for, is that they actually know what they are talking about... they don't. They exist solely to sell a juicy story in order to increase viewership. There is a reason why journalism as a career attracts people who are more inclined towards psychopathy.

you're mixing up journalists with tv presenters there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Politicians.

Amazing how people are more interested in Met E and what they are going to tell us to do about this storm than they are about discussing the storm itself. Guilty of it myself.
    As a matter of interest, what specific analysis and software are they privy to that the average tech savvy weather enthusiast can't access and analyse for themselves online? I assume they must have some. But with the internet as open as it is now I'm wondering is a bloated and expensive professional Met service perhaps an unnecessary drag on the Irish taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just one of the many driving factors of this potential storm for Ireland (2m anomaly forecast from the GFS 06z run)

wrT2zgn.gif

Large file warning. Could be slow to load.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ICON-EU 12z shifts it a little East!

gustkph_20191001_12_057.jpg?

Compare to 06z:

gustkph_20191001_06_063.jpg?

• Advertisement

ICON-EU wants to power him in!

gustkph_20191001_12_060.jpg?

gustkph_20191001_12_063.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are peak winds likely to be on the southern "eye wall " ?

froog wrote: »
    you're mixing up journalists with tv presenters there
    I'm not sure there is much distinction between either.
    teresaPNG.png

New Moon

Discodog wrote: »
    Are peak winds likely to be on the southern "eye wall " ?
    Most likely, but don't be surprised to see some gustiness coming down on its western side also.

New Moon

ICON-EU animation

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179060270758580224?s=20

That would not be a nice outcome, all eyes on GFS and ARPEGE next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Amazing how people are more interested in Met E and what they are going to tell us to do about this storm than they are about discussing the storm itself. Guilty of it myself.
    As a matter of interest, what specific analysis and software are they privy to that the average tech savvy weather enthusiast can't access and analyse for themselves online? I assume they must have some. But with the internet as open as it is now I'm wondering is a bloated and expensive professional Met service perhaps an unnecessary drag on the Irish taxpayer?
    And a few minutes ago had someone say ME need Barry Kenny type PR people to get the message across to the public. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Villain wrote: »
    ICON-EU wants to power him in!

Honest to god, I find this all fascinating and exciting in a perverse way that sort of wants to see how it feels when it hits. But when I see that graph I think of the potential damage and casualties and I wince and think "actually no, I hope it misses" . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Will be interesting to see how they issue warnings in the morning

Must be an awful job, damned if you do and damned if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

See the cold air cumulus streets in from the northwest in the top left corner.

a8d77985852f097405cb9977d2101f639fe4f9706088fd2deaf926e01ac94269.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Villain wrote: »
    ICON-EU animation

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179060270758580224?s=20

That would not be a nice outcome, all eyes on GFS and ARPEGE next

So does that show it taking a "hard right" turn east at Mayo? Practically a 90 degree turn inland?

Is that normal or / driven by jetatream?

Seems weird trajectory.

I have opened up a 'general chat' thread for this storm potential. Might be best if we keep this thread exclusively for tech analysis & the posting of the latest charts etc. It'll be easier all round to help find the latest info and thoughts about Lorenzo rather than having to scroll back about 10 pages to find them as things begin to hot up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058019653

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Drumpot wrote: »
    Honest to god, I find this all fascinating and exciting in a perverse way that sort of wants to see how it feels when it hits. But when I see that graph I think of the potential damage and casualties and I wince and think "actually no, I hope it misses" . .

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179065910876889088

If this is the case then A RED for the whole country thur/fri?? Depends on max winds though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know both Mr Kenny and Ms Cusack and I can assure you both are equally accomplished at being in front of the camera. They both do their jobs because of the specific skill and expertise they bring. I wouldn't want Barry explaining a hurricane for the same reason I wouldn't want Evelyn telling me why my train is late

Since we're name dropping...I work with Joanna ....,..,............,...........................albeit in a different government department :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Drumpot wrote: »

A lot depends where you live and how badly that place is affected. Out here is very different from a town. It will be a duration of extreme often deafening noise. Not safe to be outside. We are bare of trees..

Although if you venture out, the sight of the ocean is utter.... power. If you can stand up in the wind. IF! You have to take care about standing! The gale breathes for you.

I live in what they call a demountable dwelling , ie basically an aluminium capsule. No sound proofing and it is the noise that affects me badly. Not safe to use earplugs as you need to be alert to any further danger.

And there is danger. A raw sheer power that we can do nothing to curb. Just be aware and wary. Here Callum was the worst I have ever experienced out here. The dwelling shook and rattled. Maybe the direction it came from; I don't know.

My reaction is coloured also by the big tsunami as we lost loved ones. I was in Leitrim and we had a big storm soon after, and it was then my gale terror started.

Respect it and it will respect you.

Onwards.. " and let loose the dogs of war"!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

CduX9Hm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

sure he is safe out saying what strength the wind will be at sea,dodged giving a forecast for onshore or giving where would be hit worst

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

sure he is safe out saying what strength the wind will be at sea,dodged giving a forecast for onshore or giving where would be hit worst

Intentional I suspect given the careful dance everyone has been doing so far. Don't need a bread shortage on top of a beef shortage! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

When does the emergency meeting finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179065910876889088

If this is the case then A RED for the whole country thur/fri?? Depends on max winds though?

My own take is that red counties are only western coastal counties as things stand. Further inland orange but most of the country a yellow warning.

As things stand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

donal.hunt wrote: »
    Intentional I suspect given the careful dance everyone has been doing so far. Don't need a bread shortage on top of a beef shortage! ;)

of course it was intentional, taking no responsibility due to the high criticism forecasts have gotten in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ECM tonight will tell a lot I think. It’s slowly been heading further south and east on each run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Do ppl think this could become a red alert and if so what sections of the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It seems to me a RED Alert is now becoming increasingly likely for counties along the west coast,especially the immediate coastlines from Galway northwards perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    When does the emergency meeting finish?

When they have enough words to placate the "can I have Thursday off?" crowd for another 12 hours. Would expect a holding statement that indicates disruption is expected but it's still unclear where and when.

I personally think at-risk locations need tomorrow to make preparations because Wednesday night / Thursday morning will be too late.

Advertisement