Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

November 2019 Intake

• 27-09-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

Just starting a wee thread to see who has got the call for a November start! Over the moon to have gotten mine, try to keep dates, exact ML numbers and districts etc off the forum :)

Hopefully a decent sized squad starting, my ML number for anyone in the process was between 150-180 and can confirm towards the end of the process (Medical, SMT, Vetting) everything sped up in terms of progress and having a reduced waiting time between steps.. Look forward to meeting you lot at GV.

If there is any guys/gals currently at or whom has completed GV please feel free to post advice for our batch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

Hello, congrats on your start in November! How does it work with the districts thing? Not enquiring what your district is just the process of how it is chosen?

What if you only wanted to stay in 1 area? Are they weighted equally, can you only put 1 down?

So if your ML range is November, it could be well into next year before say 450-500 would get a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Unperturbed Zero

OP got his call tail end of September and I believe there has been an extra section added at GV to get more recruits in. With optimistic conservatism a number of 70 given the call at the end of the month - plus a good 20-40% of those in the ML ahead of you having delayed vetting or outright failure at one of the stages - your 450-500 position will be more like 400+ and could expect a call at the tail end of January.

I took a look at the recruitment news for 1810 on the joinpsni website and although it was last updated 16th August - there was nearly 1 appointment for every failure/withdrawal from the process - a trend likely to continue.

OP got his call tail end of September and I believe there has been an extra section added at GV to get more recruits in. With optimistic conservatism a number of 70 given the call at the end of the month - plus a good 20-40% of those in the ML ahead of you having delayed vetting or outright failure at one of the stages - your 450-500 position will be more like 400+ and could expect a call at the tail end of January.

I took a look at the recruitment news for 1810 on the joinpsni website and although it was last updated 16th August - there was nearly 1 appointment for every failure/withdrawal from the process - a trend likely to continue.

Many thanks for your research. Was thinking around January seemed possible. Hopefully that is the case. I did hear they were thinking of making it 12 hour days over 3 months instead of 6, any merrit to that you reckon? Are you in yourself?

I haven't heard anything in relation to the change of timetabling but I think student pay scales would be a little different too if you were required to study/work more hours during a given week - so i'd be interested to know where you heard that?

I am ML 400-450 and was hoping for a call by Christmas. Just have SMT and vetting to clear and everything has been plain sailing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Well. That's a load nonsense.

Due to the pre reading and preparation you have to do for each day, the days are already 12hrs long.

So yea. Nonsense.

• Advertisement

Troaway wrote: »
    Hello, congrats on your start in November! How does it work with the districts thing? Not enquiring what your district is just the process of how it is chosen?

What if you only wanted to stay in 1 area? Are they weighted equally, can you only put 1 down?

So if your ML range is November, it could be well into next year before say 450-500 would get a call?

You choose up to 4 districts from a list of available ones. But you ticked a box saying that you are willing to work anywhere in NI and so are liable to be sent anywhere.

To date there has been on extra intake of approx 50 people. There has been no increase in intake sizes.

See FoIs on PSNI disclosure logs 2019 for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BruceWayne1

YNWA27 wrote: »

Due to the pre reading and preparation you have to do for each day, the days are already 12hrs long.

So yea. Nonsense.

Well don’t you just know everything !?
    Your delivery could use some work. Fairness courtesy and respect is what’s expected of you in PSNI. Try to start now, it’ll make your journey through Garnerville smoother.

So yea. Nonsense.

Well don’t you just know everything !?
    Your delivery could use some work. Fairness courtesy and respect is what’s expected of you in PSNI. Try to start now, it’ll make your journey through Garnerville smoother.

Wow bro. Chill your beans.

Just stating facts. No personal opinion or anything was added.

A fundamental change to the working conditions of student officers and the fact that a 60 hour week would under PSNI working time regs mean student officer would get 20 hours OT a week... yea reasonable to ascertain that 12 hours days would be unsustainable both financially and from a welfare point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheCandidate_

Anybody planning to live in GV? Need night time toast buddies 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mack12

I'm hoping to stay, fingers crossed! I'm well over 35 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Notorious3

In the November intake too, I plan to stay aswell, let’s just hope my bunk buddy doesn’t mind snoring!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rookie01

Hey people!

Been a while since I checked on here, well done to everyone else and those still in the process. The call will come! just take each step as it comes :) Troaway Yeah as answered above, you receive certain districts to choose from, you pick up to 4 with equal weighting, but again..no guarantees of course! This time we had a fair few to pick from- ill say that :) But it obviously depends where they need the newbies to go . Good luck though and all the best in the final steps!

Look forward to meeting you guys/girls. I unfortunately wont be staying in the grand GV resort but still cant wait to get started, has anyone else left their previous work?

Rookie01

Thanks for replies.

The reference to the stint up there possibly changing to 3months, I heard it from someone who recently finished it up there. But have no idea of legitimacy of the claim. Just was curious if anyone heard something similar.

Troaway wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.

The reference to the stint up there possibly changing to 3months, I heard it from someone who recently finished it up there. But have no idea of legitimacy of the claim. Just was curious if anyone heard something similar.

The welfare nightmare that would create.

They want you to get through training, that would cause so much burn out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imogenr1

Hey all - I was hoping for a Nov call. My ML is below 230 anyone over this number got a start for November? I was appointable from Sept 24th and it seems I maybe just missed the call date by a day or two :( I was ready to leave my current job about 6 months ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kittty

Hi everyone only just found this chat online wish I found it sooner! congratulations everyone getting the Nov call.

I had my medial very recently and wondering how they tell you the results is it by letter or email? thanks In advance.

@kittty I received my results by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crossco

Hi all, I seem to be still waiting on my vetting to clear? I am below 180 ML, and passed everything but vetting, confusing how many other have got the call above this on the ML, should I be worried? Has anyone tried contacting recruitment to enquire about how Far along the vetting is/ should I be contacting them?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

Crossco wrote: »
    Hi all, I seem to be still waiting on my vetting to clear? I am below 180 ML, and passed everything but vetting, confusing how many other have got the call above this on the ML, should I be worried? Has anyone tried contacting recruitment to enquire about how Far along the vetting is/ should I be contacting them?

Many thanks

You could contact them via email. However, more than likely you will be told that your vetting is ongoing. I know of someone who's vetting has been in for around 15/16 weeks now.

• Advertisement

Crossco wrote: »

Many thanks

I'd be contacting them at the 12 week mark from submission of the forms ( seems to be the standard lead time this campaign) weekly.

If you contact vetting all they'll tell youbis that it's in progress and you will be informed of outcome.

They will not give you a timeline

Wondering if anyone could help out. In the welcome pack it says to bring you original birth certificate, I only have a certified copy, is this acceptable? Beginning to stresssss

mack12 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone could help out. In the welcome pack it says to bring you original birth certificate, I only have a certified copy, is this acceptable? Beginning to stresssss

Yip grand.

Yip grand.

Phew, thank you!

Anyone have any idea on what to expect at induction? can't believe how long it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

All the best for starting guys!

The 23 weeks fly in with plenty of ups and downs and you'll make friends for life!!!!

Enjoy

Anyone started their shopping list yet?

Notorious3 wrote: »
    Anyone started their shopping list yet?

We don't have a shopping list yet? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Although the post below is from 2008 I think some of the items on the list still apply.
    Shield wrote: »
    So you've just got a call (or a letter) from PSNI Recruitment offering you a place in the Student Officer Training Program.

Well done, and welcome to the club.

At the request of many people, here are some hints and tips that could very well help you survive your 4-week residential stay in Hotel Garnerville from Day 1.

Your first day will most likely be Sunday. This is a 12-hour day that starts at about 10am. They do feed you but I would advise you bring snacks like fruit, cuppa soups, pot noodles and the like. They have vending machines on-site, but these just sell chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks.

The following 2 or 3 days are also 12-hour days. Be prepared to be whisked away to a secret location for this duration to get everyone acquainted with each other, and a bit of fun here and there too.

You are watched closely from the minute you arrive at Garnerville, on and off duty. Do not get involved with any parties, drinking to excess or get caught with members of the opposite sex in your room/other way about. This is all very much frowned upon by the orderly. Do not express ANY (even slightly) controversial opinions, ever, even if it is not actually what you believe. Be a middle of the road, reasonable liberal, or in other words, stay grey. Work hard, and pay attention in class. Again, this will be noticed.

Show respect for the wider force, and the RUC, as ALL your instructors will have been in it. Stories of wet behind the ears, gobby recruits, slagging off the RUC and their efforts and sacrifices WILL get out into the wider force, and it will not do you any favours (to say the least).

The style of teaching involves LOTS of group activities/presentations and all round class participation, so get involved. It is embarrassing to sit in a class when the instructor asks for a volunteer to stand up in front of the class and 15 people who want to be Police Officers have not got the guts to do so, so put yourself forward, provided you know what you are doing.

Get organised. You are required to be where you have to be 5 minutes before the scheduled time. Plan ahead so you are in the right gear with the right kit. If you smoke, the smoker's shack in a good place to meet people, not just recruits, but those other courses who you can get to know, and that cannot do you any harm.

Be efficient. Do not be one of the whining loudmouths that sits around in the rec room half the night gossiping, and then complains about how busy they are and that they never have any time. Finish class, do your kit, do your studying and there will be plenty of time to relax after.

Join the Police Federation. It's about £15 a month. The benefits are too many to list here.

Sign up for BUPA through the Federation, unless you have your own health insurance already. You will need it when you get injured (and you WILL get injured), and some unfortunately get injured in Garnerville.

Keep your room clean. You will be in a room with 1 other person. The rooms are tiny and old. You have a sink, 2 bunk beds and built-in wardrobes/shelves with just 1 desk. Sometimes there's even a chair in your room. Modern - they ain't.

Show parades: You WILL get a show parade. It's basically dressing up in your best uniform and Number 1 boots for something trivial. This happens first thing in the morning or last thing at night, to be inspected by your Drill Instructor, the Foundation Inspectors or the Chief. Play the game and keep your mouth shut. We all got them for something trivial like a non-existant fleck of dust on your trousers. Don't turn into Ghandi about it. Sometimes, they just want to see how far they can push you, or in other words, if you break easy.

Take the following with you:

A good ironing cloth, i.e. a piece of good quality linen/cotton sheet, or tea towel, as pressing uniforms is something you will do a lot of and they cannot be touched directly by an iron. A good ironing board is useful, saves you queuing up to use one of the few provided.

A good quality heavy steam iron

A water spray bottle for ironing

A few cans of spray starch for the shirts, espepcially for when the short sleeves come in at the end of March.

A kettle for making tea/coffee in your room if you like. Mugs & spoons too. You can buy milk for the tea in the canteen.

You are provided with 2 identical pairs of boots. One pair will become your parade boots (Number 1's) which you will spend a lot of time bulling, and the other will be your normal boots (Number 2's). Bring standard KIWI boot polish and 2 new brushes. NO OTHER BRANDS. Parade Gloss does the job, but it's quite greasy and makes bulling that much harder. There is some debate on the matter because Parade Gloss is great for when the bull is actually on the boot, but bull is made up of layers and layers of dried polish.

A good quality "Bulling" cloth, namely the best duster you can get, not a TESCOS value one. These will just leave scratches on your bulled boots. If you can, get your hands on a Selvyt cloth, also known as a Jewellers cloth. They are perfect for bulling.

Get a pair of women's stockings/tights and roll them into a ball. They are EXCELLENT for shining up your normal (Number 2) boots after they have been polished, although they only work after a good amount of polish has been built up on them after a couple of weeks. Just buff them off with it and they will GLEAM.

Get a silicon shoe shine pad, use it after the above and your normal (Number 2) boots will be great. DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR NUMBER 1 BOOTS!!!

2 rolls of brown parcel tape for tacking down uniforms.

Good quality wooden clothes hangers. Get 2 that allow you to hang trousers upside down, with a big clamp on the top instead of little clips.

2 small padlocks.

A pen knife. It's just so handy.

Writing pads and highlighter pens, along with a good few black pens. We only write in black pen in our notebooks. Bring spares just in case.

You will have to clean your room, so take some stuff to do it, i.e. a few J cloths, some Cif, etc. for the sink, and some Mr Sheen, etc. for the rest.

Buy some good quality black socks. The ones from Millets are the black version of standard Army issue double soled socks. They are about £4 or £5 a pair, but if you can afford them they are worth the money for the real world as well as Garnerville. They might be called "Commando" socks in the shops. Army surplus stores may have them too, as the Services now issue Army/Navy/RAF with the same black sock, rather than different colours. These are a heavy sock but they prevent blistering when your new boots are being broken in.

You get your uniform on the day you start, which is always Sunday. In case your uniform isn't there, bring suits, white shirts, ties and black shoes to get you through 1 full week without uniform. Ladies, bring the equivalent.

There are laundry facilities on-site for you to wash your stuff. All uniform item are machine-washable. Hurrah!

Take a plain black trouser belt with you if you have one, as sometimes the stores run out and they stop your trousers falling off!

Ethan321 suggested: Optional suit covers/carriers. Reason: "When taking uniforms (especialy if ironed) to and from your car you may not want your neighbours seeing what you are carrying."

Toiletries, towels, etc..

Flip flops for the showers.

Washing powder for doing your laundry. The handiest man-proof powder is persil tablets. Stick 2 in a net and throw it into the drum. Sorted.

Bedding. One single pillowcase. One single sheet. One single duvet cover. You can use the ones provided if you wish, but even though they are cleaned, they still have questionable stains on them that don't come out. I'll leave that one alone. More and more people are even bringing their own duvet for hygeine. Just leave it all in your car until the day is over. You are then free to go and collect it when the day is done, and bring it all up to your room.

Sewing kit, some black and white thread and a few needles will do for emergencies.

An alarm clock - most mobile phones have one built-in; check yours works.

If you want, a radio/CD player. Some people are bringing xbox's, playstations, etc these days, but they can be a bit of a distraction when the pressure starts to mount. If you decide to bring a TV with a Freeview box, then you will need a TV licence. When room inspections come around, they check for TV's, but they can't if you've locked it away in your locker! ;)

Finally, please bring a sense of humour! You will really need if for those hot summer afternoons, or cold winter mornings, running around that parade square, double time of course!

Advertisement