Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror video games

• 25-09-2019 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Halloween is nearly upon us. Wouldn't mind playing some horror games in October. Any system any game really. So any suggestions?

Silent Hill is a given. Would you class something as Doom 3 as a horror game tho? :p

Welcome to any suggestions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What platform are you playing on?

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
    Dead Space 1 and 2
    Alien: Isolation
    The Evil Within
    Outlast 1 and 2
    Layers of Fear
    Soma

The list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

amnesia, blair witch

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

The Last of Us. Assume that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

sweetie wrote: »
    amnesia
    I don't remember playing that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

The Last of Us. Assume that counts?

Yes, yes it most certainly does.

I would add F.E.A.R, RE7, RE 1,2 & 3 off the top of my head.

Bioshock & System Shock 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have been playing a horror game every Halloween for the last few years
    My choices this year are either Resident Evil 0 or The Evil Within 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

RE7 in VR if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ZiabR wrote: »
    What platform are you playing on?

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
    Dead Space 1 and 2
    Alien: Isolation
    The Evil Within
    Outlast 1 and 2
    Layers of Fear
    Soma

The list goes on and on.

Cheers!
    Any console and any game really. From Atari 2600 to Ps4/Xbox one :pac:
    Wouldnt mind going down memory lane or discovering a game I may yet have played. Am sure the thread might give suggestions to others on what to play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cheers!
    Any console and any game really. From Atari 2600 to Ps4/Xbox one :pac:
    Wouldnt mind going down memory lane or discovering a game I may yet have played. Am sure the thread might give suggestions to others on what to play too.

Have you played Alien Isolation? Its a proper Pampers Fest. You will need a weeks supply of nappies to see you through the game. There is something about being chased by sheer horror, all whilst being kinda defenceless.

Its a quality game and clocks in at around 15-20 hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Wouldnt mind going down memory lane or discovering a game I may yet have played.

X-Files on the PS2. Good game. Especially if you like RESI/Silent Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Outlast 2 is terrifying!

I love my horror games and rate this as one of the games that scared the sh*t out of me the most

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Skerries wrote: »
    I have been playing a horror game every Halloween for the last few years
    My choices this year are either Resident Evil 0 or The Evil Within 2

I would highly recommend Evil Within 2. I really enjoyed it.

Until Dawn is great, it's kinda like being in a horror movie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Until Dawn is great

That game was so much better than it had any right to be.

Rob2D wrote: »

Great game , wouldnt exactly call it scary though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stay away from Layers of Fear. It's pants.

I'd highly recommend Soma. Not only is it scary but it's a great piece of hard sci fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Might finally play Project Zero 2 on Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ZiabR wrote: »
    Have you played Alien Isolation? Its a proper Pampers Fest. You will need a weeks supply of nappies to see you through the game. There is something about being chased by sheer horror, all whilst being kinda defenceless.

Its a quality game and clocks in at around 15-20 hours.

played a bit of it a few years ago on 360 when I got it as a gift. Gonna go back to it now as it's on Xbox Pass. Totally on the list!

Any decent ps1 horror games? (besides the usual resi games) my ps1 mini needs to be hacked and palyed more ;)

played a bit of it a few years ago on 360 when I got it as a gift. Gonna go back to it now as it's on Xbox Pass. Totally on the list!

Any decent ps1 horror games? (besides the usual resi games) my ps1 mini needs to be hacked and palyed more ;)

Silent Hill is the daddy in my opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Loads of good PS1 horror games.

Dino Crisis is Resi with Dinosaurs
    Echo Night is interesting if a bit janky
    Same with Hellnight
    The original Parasite Eve is an absolute gem. Avoid the sequel
    Love the Deception games as well, although they are just lots of fun with a horror aesthetic rather than actual horror games.

And of course there is Overblood. It's ****ing awful but at the same time absolutely hilarious. Only the Ring on the Dreamcast comes close to being as bad and as funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Deadly Premonition is always good in a quirky sort of way.

Haunting Ground and Clocktower on PS2 also a good shout and can always be picked up fairly cheap in CEX.

Evil Within 1 & 2 great games also if you want someting a bit more modern.

A White Day is another PSN game that seems to be on sale fairly often which is pretty good too.

Sanitys Requiem on Gamecube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Horror games? Sounds like a good excuse to recommend......... BLOODBORNE!

:pac::P:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m much more interested in the weirder, more experimental sort of horror games these days - and sadly there’s not many of them :pac:

I’d definitely recommend without hesitation Anatomy by Kitty Horrorshow (PC via Itch). It should run on any reasonably functioning PC. It’s the sort of strange, unexplained horror material that gets under your skin even when you can’t articulate fully why. It’s a short experience based on ever changing environments (broadly similar to PT) but is much more striking than many even good games that are hours longer.

Paratopic hits a similar some of sweet spot with its fetchingly PS1-style graphics, while Pathologic 2 comes cautiously recommended if you want a gruelling example of long-form, physically draining, sustained misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Although I never played it, I hear Detention is a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Or watch Petscop on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

nix wrote: »
    Horror games? Sounds like a good excuse to recommend......... BLOODBORNE!

:pac::P:pac:

The horror in not being able to get past the first area. Lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played the Blair witch game that came out recently? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RE7, would be crapping myself if I was doing it in VR, scary enough as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rob2D wrote: »

It knew what it had to be & didn't take itself too serious, that's it genius imo.

I'm going to try play Vampyr as I have it by my PS4 for months now. I'll play the demo of A Plague Tale: Innocence too, maybe not a full blown horror but if I enjoy it I will buy it.

Always been meaning to play Costume Quest too as it only really can be played at Halloween :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone played the Blair witch game that came out recently? Any good?

Not really, no. Played for an hour or two, and there were some scares, but overall it was very forgettable and i didn't go back to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

If you have access to a PSVR - RE7, Paranormal Activity & The Exorcist should get the blood pumping.

Advertisement