Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus owes me EUR461.98

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Go to credit card company and initiate a charge back. Most have automatic rights

Don't mind the post about not allowed to record...it's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

joeguevara wrote: »
    Go to credit card company and initiate a charge back. Most have automatic rights.

Zero chance of winning a chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

noel1980 wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered by the money, tbh. I'm more just pissed off with the empty promises. "We'll contact you in 5 business days"... "We'll prioritize your case"... blah blah blah. Empty promises.

I'm interested in seeing if this email arrives tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it doesn't arrive. Hell, I'd be satisfied if they sent me an email simply saying "We've looked into your case and found that you are not entitled to a refund".

Totally agree the support has been terrible. I'd just keep calling until you get an answer. Just make sure to be calm and let them know you're frustrated but not with them specifically. I've worked support for years and I can tell you for sure you get more being nice than being angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noel1980

Go to credit card company and initiate a charge back. Most have automatic rights

I really don't understand why everyone on this thread is so against me... like... I'm the one who lost a couple of hundred euros.

A lot of Aer Lingus fanboys in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Those who know, know.

managerhaircutt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I worked in a call centre for a couple of years and I can confirm that it’s not BS at all. The customer service rep automatically becomes a data protection subject if you record the call and you have to adhere to the data protection laws as the owner of the recording. If you share the recording with someone, you’re breaking the law. I’ll find the details about it for you when I’m on the computer later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For anybody who's interested, I'm just after calling the CS number, quoted the case # and the guy assured me that I'd get an email by tomorrow.

FYI, Gwen Cooper: Their CS is based in Manilla, Phillipines.

I've recorded all my calls so far. If I don't at least get an email I'm thinking of taking it to small-claims court. It's only 25 euro. Nothing much to lose

Small claims for what ?

I worked in a call centre for a couple of years and I can confirm that it’s not BS at all. The customer service rep automatically becomes a data protection subject if you record the call and you have to adhere to the data protection laws as the owner of the recording. If you share the recording with someone, you’re breaking the law. I’ll find the details about it for you when I’m on the computer later.

It's perfectly legal to record a call for personal use.

Edit: I make it easy for you! : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_call_recording_laws#Ireland

ted1 wrote: »
    Small claims for what ?

Ever heard of "trading standards" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just out of curiosity, which app did you use to record the phone call?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, which app did you use to record the phone call?

It's a built-in feature on my phone. Xaomi Redmi note 7 pro. Really handy feature :) You just press "record" prior-to or any time during a call. The record button is right there on the keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Good luck with that.

You decided to change your flight.
    There was an issue with doing it online
    You didn’t ring the local number provided on the website.
    You called an overseas number but hung up before you talked to someone
    You booked an entirely new flight.

Tell me more about “trading standards “ in Ireland , I know it’s in the UK, but have not heard of them in Ireland.

You decided to change your flight.
    There was an issue with doing it online
    You didn’t ring the local number provided on the website.
    You called an overseas number but hung up before you talked to someone
    You booked an entirely new flight.

Tell me more about “trading standards “ in Ireland , I know it’s in the UK, but have not heard of them in Ireland.

I'll be taking this action through the Italian trading standards body, since it happened whilst I was in Italy. https://www.adiconsum.it/

Edit: I make it easy for you! : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_call_recording_laws#Ireland

You need consent from the other party :
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-what-are-the-legal-implications-1.1740070?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

No you don't, even your link states that.
    Under Irish law, it is not illegal for a person to record a call if he/she is party to that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

For personal use. That's all you can use it for. By recording that call you basically accept responsibility to protect the collected data and if you're disclosing it somewhere without the other person's express permission, you may be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

And yes, technically you may be able to use it in court under the right circumstances, but would you really be willing to go trough the hassle of a case that is extremely likely going to end in favour of Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

You chose to pay for a seperate flight yourself - that won't hold up in court :confused:

mcgovern wrote: »
    No you don't, even your link states that.

What form of authorisation is needed?
    The 1993 Act permits the recording of phone calls provided that either the caller or the receiver consents to it. This is why, for example, when you ring your bank or insurance company, an automated voice informs you that you may be recorded. No breach of the law occurs in that situation as you are deemed to consent to the recording if you stay on the line. If there was no such warning when calls were made to or from Garda stations, one legal source says, a breach of the Act may well have occurred.

Did you miss the consent part?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

What form of authorisation is needed?
    The 1993 Act permits the recording of phone calls provided that either the caller or the receiver consents to it. This is why, for example, when you ring your bank or insurance company, an automated voice informs you that you may be recorded. No breach of the law occurs in that situation as you are deemed to consent to the recording if you stay on the line. If there was no such warning when calls were made to or from Garda stations, one legal source says, a breach of the Act may well have occurred.

Did you miss the consent part?

No, did you read the link you provided? Only one party needs to consent, and in this case the OP, as the caller, provided consent. That is all that is required.
    The 1993 Act permits the recording of phone calls provided that either the caller or the receiver consents to it.

The reason there was a problem with the Garda recording the converstations is that they were neither the caller nor the receiver.

• Advertisement

Did you even read the article YOU posted? :confused:

You chose to pay for a seperate flight yourself - that won't hold up in court :confused:

No, I was forced to. There's a difference. Because the reschedule feature on their website did not work. I can argue that I called CS and was waiting about 10 minutes (which I was). Then I hung up and booked the flight I wanted as a new booking, because I didn't have the time to wait (which is also true).

I also don't think people are right in saying that I should have contacted CS. I don't think the law says "one must always contact customer service if they get a ****ty service". I could have had no phone to hand. What then? Does the law say I need to have a phone? Companies need to maintain a certain standard of trading, which include having a functioning website, which allows me to perform the function(s) advertised in their product. In my case, their flight re-schedule feature was broken.

If it weren't so, there would be no incentive for them to fix their services.

I have screenshots to prove all my claims, but I won't be going to Irish court judging by the responses on this thread.

I suppose somebody will tell me taking screenshots is against the law now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its not their problem or their fault that you didn't have the time to wait to speak to someone in customer service. You don't have a leg to stand on & they don't owe you a refund for the new flights you booked.

You can't even prove the feature on the website wasn't working because you never even alerted a member of staff that there was an issue with it. All they have is your word that it wasn't working, and they're supposed to just give you a refund straight off the bat based on that?

For all they know, you missed your original flight and are now trying to pull a fast one to recover funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Its not their problem or their fault that you didn't have the time to wait to speak to someone in customer service. You don't have a leg to stand on & they don't owe you a refund for the new flights you booked.

You can't even prove the feature on the website wasn't working because you never even alerted a member of staff that there was an issue with it. All they have is your word that it wasn't working, and they're supposed to just give you a refund straight off the bat based on that?

For all they know, you missed your original flight and are now trying to pull a fast one to recover funds.

Bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

No, I was forced to. There's a difference. Because the reschedule feature on their website did not work. I can argue that I called CS and was waiting about 10 minutes (which I was). Then I hung up and booked the flight I wanted as a new booking, because I didn't have the time to wait (which is also true).

You weren't forced to. You had two perfectly good flights for the very next day that you decided on a whim not to take.

I'd say there is not a hope of them refunding you.

SusieBlue wrote: »

I have screenshots, complete with error message and error number.

Edit: I also used their online help facility (the chat-bot thingy), so actually I did alert a member of staff.

Irrelevant. The motivation behind why I tried to reschedule my flight is completely irrelevant. Also, the fact that I attempted to re-schedule nearly 2 days before my flight was scheduled, makes this a silly and invalid argument.

The point is I was within all the constraints stated on their website here. i.e. I was well within the 2-hour limit, etc etc.

When I tried to use the "change my booking" feature, it appeared to work right up to the point when I attempted to pay, then it mysteriously didn't process the payment.

Wrong on both points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have screenshots, complete with error message and error number.

Edit: I also used their online help facility (the chat-bot thingy), so actually I did alert a member of staff.

Irrelevant. The motivation behind why I tried to reschedule my flight is completely irrelevant. Also, the fact that I attempted to re-schedule nearly 2 days before my flight was scheduled, makes this a silly and invalid argument.

The point is I was within all the constraints stated on their website here. i.e. I was well within the 2-hour limit, etc etc.

When I tried to use the "change my booking" feature, it appeared to work right up to the point when I attempted to pay, then it mysteriously didn't process the payment.

Wrong on both points :)

I'm not surprised you're getting nowhere with them with that kind of attitude.

Folks, I'm out.

Unsubscribing to this thread. Too many nitwits posting canned responses, or outright incorrect information, and not moving the conversation forward.

Thanks to the few that posted helpful, meaningful posts.

Did you even read the article YOU posted? :confused:

Yes and you need consent from the caller or receiver, so if you make a call you need consent from the receiver, or if you are the receiver you need consent from the caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes and you need consent from the caller or receiver, so if you make a call you need consent from the receiver, or if you are the receiver you need consent from the caller.

Says nothing of the kind in law

Advertisement