Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you feed your family from your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

gozunda wrote: »
    That was a parody btw - just in case you missed it ;)

:o Yeah, I think I did. In my defence, I'm a bit delerious today - it's raining! First time in more than two months. Proper rain too - 300l waterbutts filled to overflowing in just a few hours. :cool:
    But if you think Ms Cortez and the Green New Deal supporters are joking - take a read of the greta in the new world thread. You may need more than a glass of "cool aid" afterwards lol...

Although my family consider me an eco-warrior of sorts, I'm getting fed up with the prostitution of everything "green"/"eco"/"renewable" - and especially the evangelisation of same by people who are quite happy to exploit the same planet (it's people and it's resources) to maintain the lifestyle that enables them to indulge in the hypocrisy of occasional demonstration.

So until those people stop buying cheap crap from China, and stop sending their waste crap back to the Far-East, I'm going to keep eating the cows in the field across the road and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

In the meantime ... gotta go and dance in the rain again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Luckily, we don't have an apparatus of State capable of imposing such control at the moment.
    The Gardai only operate because of public goodwill.
    Start confiscating private resources and trying to operate collective labour camps/kibbutzes and they would find themselves powerless.

Don't be so sure. A one world government is getting ever more realistic. The unifying of countries , global legislation.

Heard some kids on radio about the marches. There was genuine fear in their voices. That it's irrational doesn't matter. It's there and spreading.

Gretta what's her face is just s puppet on a string. I'd love to know whose the puppet master. who paid for her green boat that used lots of carbon in its making?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The new socislist state of greta thunberg and friends. Basically the government will run the economy pretty much like china/ the former USSR. Fossil fuels will be left in the ground and everyone will be employed in collectivised labour gangs working towards green energy production, energy efficiency etc . Private vehicles will be history, ditto anything deemed in the public good will be taken by the state. No doubt we will all be eating just veggies. But thankfully no avocados or quinoa . That and the hipsters are for sure in for a shock when they cant fly to Bali for their annual de-stess yoga lifestyle breaks...

Google Green New Deal and Alexandria Cortez

Think your taking it all a bit too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

_Brian wrote: »
    We have a small polytunnel and have been working with the kids to grow a variety of veg and greens, not what would feed us but learning the skill at least. We have apple trees in the garden and maybe 20 fruit bushes, some crowns of rhubarb.
    We keep chickens, rear a few pigs for the table.

This could all be scaled up quick enough.

We bake bread maybe 3 times a week. Kitchen is always on the go here cooking and baking. We can make our own sausages, have done home made pasta etc.

Access to basic ingredients like flour, sugar, tea and coffee would be important, but once we’d have those we’d be fine.
    In such a scenario, tea and coffee are hardly important? Even sugar? It's possible to make sugarless jam with apple juice.
    Fermentation skills (and tastebuds!) would also help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Always killed pigs and heifers etc when we were young. Had a bit of a garden and apple trees Killed chickens etc. Didnt appreciate it back then. It almost felt like we were second class cause we had to produce our own instead of buying it. The weird viewpoint of a child growing up in 80s Ireland!

Do the odd bit of a garden now and again.
    Went halves on a pig and a lamb a few years ago.

Thinking of knocking up a couple of raised beds for next spring. Keep it small and tight and hopefully won't loose interest and the battle with weeds by June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't be so sure. A one world government is getting ever more realistic. The unifying of countries , global legislation.

Heard some kids on radio about the marches. There was genuine fear in their voices. That it's irrational doesn't matter. It's there and spreading.

Gretta what's her face is just s puppet on a string. I'd love to know whose the puppet master. who paid for her green boat that used lots of carbon in its making?

It would take a One World Govt. to achieve any of the scenarios above.
    I don't think the local Garda Sargent will get too warm a reception when he rocks up looking to confiscate your tractors and any diesel in your tanks, and with your work roat for the month ahead at the Collective.

Of course the first thing would be to confiscate all firearms.
    That will not be achievable either, people remember the Government lies and subterfuge the last time that took place in 1972, by order of Dessie O Malley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When exactly did this thread go from ‘do you kill/grow your own?’ to ‘could you survive in a post apocalyptic world?’ :)

It nearly is beginning to feel it more belongs in this place -
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//forumdisplay.php?f=1079

:)

There’s posters here believing far too much of the far out stuff they are reading on the internet.

Relax and get in with your lives folks, it’ll be grand.

As for the movement fronted by Gretta, if it gets people thinking and talking a bit more about environment issues that has to be a good thing. Have no fear though, governments will smile and nod but as ever do very little to break the status quo that keeps them in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

When exactly did this thread go from ‘do you kill/grow your own?’ to ‘could you survive in a post apocalyptic world?’ :)

It nearly is beginning to feel it more belongs in this place -
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//forumdisplay.php?f=1079

:)

First post to be fair.
    If technology got distributed or society started to collapse some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

emaherx wrote: »
    First post to be fair.

True Emaherx, maybe I took the wrong meaning from it.
    I just think if things went like people here are thinking - growing a few carrots won’t do much for you... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Its only sixty years since my mums home place got the ESB.
    An Aunt in Co Down was on a "Start-o-Matic" Lister generator until the mid 1970's.
    If power was disrupted for a week, it would seem like an apocalypse to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Think your taking it all a bit too serious.

I think you thought I'm serious ;)

Lighten up lol - you did ask the question about the Green New Deal. But unfortunately yes - some (and no not myself btw) are taking it very seriously indeed. The climate alarmists screaming 10 years 3 months and 40 days to the end of the world are touting it as a reality ...

There’s posters here believing far too much of the far out stuff they are reading on the internet.

Relax and get in with your lives folks, it’ll be grand.

As for the movement fronted by Gretta, if it gets people thinking and talking a bit more about environment issues that has to be a good thing.

Have no fear though, governments will smile and nod but as ever do very little to break the status quo that keeps them in power.

:eek: it's worse than that you've gone to the dark side ... - (greta that is - not the environment btw)

Our government is probably already rubbing their hands at the thought of all that lovely carbon tax revenue running into state coffers ... :D

True Emaherx, maybe I took the wrong meaning from it.
    I just think if things went like people here are thinking - growing a few carrots won’t do much for you... ;)

Well we'd definitely all need our Mad Max leather outfits and turn all of our family cars and tractors into A-Team style armoured vehicles as we fight over the last few liters of green Diesel.

I think you thought I'm serious ;)

Lighten up lol - you did ask the question about the Green New Deal. But unfortunately yes - some (and no not myself btw) are taking it very seriously indeed. The climate alarmists screaming 10 years 3 months and 40 days to the end of the world are touting it as a reality ...

:eek: it's worse than that you've gone to the dark side ... - (greta that is - not the environment btw)

Our government is probably already rubbing their hands at the thought of all that lovely carbon tax revenue running into state coffers ... :D

I think people take things too seriously where a more moderate approach usually works best.
    Climate is a big deal no doubt, personally biodiversity is a bigger deal and much of the actions to improve biodiversity would benefit environment too, to hear some there is. O correlation between them.

I don’t really support Gretta, but I’m not intimidated or set against her movement as many seem to be. Any movement that encourages conversations on these topics are to be encouraged. She’s a figurehead rather than an instigator and from what I’ve read her father is the driving force, I don’t care, it’s raising the profile so that’s good.

I think carbon taxes are needed but they need to be managed properly and applied evenly, I don’t want to see carbon taxes on marked diesel while airline fuel gets a bypass to keep cheap flights under people to buy votes.
    Similarly I fully support water and sewage charges, sadly I expect implementation of carbon taxes to be as professional as the water charges debacle:(

As for 10 years to the end of the world, they need to be careful spouting illogical messages like that, my first reaction if I believed that would be f**k it, it’s too late to make a change so I won’t bother. It could be self defeating. To bring the population along a climate recovery path they need to feel it’s possible and their sacrifice will definitely make a difference, if they feel it’s impossible, they won’t bother.

Back to something closer to the original post.

Hypothetically of course.

How many of you would have a go at slaughtering and butchering a sheep, pig or heifer if the need arose ??

I’m quite sure I would.

How many of you would have a go at slaughtering and butchering a sheep, pig or heifer if the need arose ??

Why hypothetically? :confused: Really tempted to post the picture, but will hold off for now: SisterNo.1, married to a non-European, had a big family do during the summer, for which the in-laws and neighbours contributed two goats. Slaughtered and butchered in the back garden, slow-roasted in a fire-pit during the afternoon, served to the guests that evening.

Now obviously this wasn't a semi-D in southside Dublin, but half the party had come from Ireland, and the fatal cut was delivered using SonNo.1's favourite knife under their curious gaze (so much easier to explain to airport security in Africa than Frankfurt why you've got a big feck-off knife in your luggage ... :pac: ) Interestingly, though (see also thread on bakeries): few of the Irish actually ate the cooked goat-meat; and fewer still were brave enough even to taste the grilled offal ...

Ye're all gonna die. :D

Why hypothetically? :confused: Really tempted to post the picture, but will hold off for now: SisterNo.1, married to a non-European, had a big family do during the summer, for which the in-laws and neighbours contributed two goats. Slaughtered and butchered in the back garden, slow-roasted in a fire-pit during the afternoon, served to the guests that evening.

Now obviously this wasn't a semi-D in southside Dublin, but half the party had come from Ireland, and the fatal cut was delivered using SonNo.1's favourite knife under their curious gaze (so much easier to explain to airport security in Africa than Frankfurt why you've got a big feck-off knife in your luggage ... :pac: ) Interestingly, though (see also thread on bakeries): few of the Irish actually ate the cooked goat-meat; and fewer still were brave enough even to taste the grilled offal ...

Ye're all gonna die. :D

Mmmm
    Hypothetically because the slaughter of animals for human consumption is highly regulated, I'm not saying I disagree with what you've described, I know not all animals fall under that regulation but I'm unsure which one's actually do or don't..
    Maybe someone does ??

I assure you having eaten stewed dog, I'm not going to starve for the want of trying something different, I had goat a few times in Egypt and it was indeed tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Back to something closer to the original post.

I’m quite sure I would.

I'll eat it if you'll butcher it.

I'll eat it if you'll butcher it.

My father qualified as a butcher and then never used the trade.. I've seen him butcher sheep for neighbour and it was very interesting to watch.. A skill I never learned though..

I think people take things too seriously where a more moderate approach usually works best.
    Climate is a big deal no doubt, personally biodiversity is a bigger deal and much of the actions to improve biodiversity would benefit environment too, to hear some there is. O correlation between them.

Our climate and the environment is of coarse very important but there is far too much bandwagoning going on if you ask me. Take electric vehicles for example, study from Germany shows they produce more carbon from charging than Diesel vehicles (in countries without nuclear power) not to mention the negative effects of mining for Cobalt and lithium both environmentally and socially. Or we need more trees equals a non native spruce monoculture for some reason.

• Advertisement

Mmmm
    Hypothetically because the slaughter of animals for human consumption is highly regulated ...

Ah, right. Well, I'd interpret the OP's scenario as one where the concept of "regulation" has become equally hypothetical.

For all that this kind of thing is frequently discussed in terms of zombie apocalypses and the like, I don't think we're really that far from such a situation. You only have to look at small perturbations to see how humans can turn quite feral in a very short space of time: Hurricane Katrina, the Great Snowfall of 2018, the rape of the US national parks during their govt shutdown in January, the current carry-on in Hong Kong ... There's a very good Channel 4 docufiction showing how things might unfold in the UK if the power went out for more than a few days.

My personal view of all of this is more down-to-earth. Whether it's as a result of political shenanigans, shifting tectonic plates or the pollution due to unbridled consumerism, so many parts of our daily lives can be hammered hard by external forces. So I've been progressively reorganising my own life/style to be less impacted by whatever happens to fuel prices, electricty supplies, city folk killing each other because there's no bread in Lidl ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

For all that this kind of thing is frequently discussed in terms of zombie apocalypses and the like, I don't think we're really that far from such a situation. You only have to look at small perturbations to see how humans can turn quite feral in a very short space of time: Hurricane Katrina, the Great Snowfall of 2018, the rape of the US national parks during their govt shutdown in January, the current carry-on in Hong Kong ... There's a very good Channel 4 docufiction showing how things might unfold in the UK if the power went out for more than a few days.

Even the perception of a brief lack of action on the part of the authorities led to those riots in the UK in 2011, and closer to home, the Lidl in Fortunestown being destroyed by a digger.

As the saying goes, we're only ever 9 meals away from anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I grow s bit myself but getting them to eat it would be another story but if they were hungry I gess they would eat before they starve. Hunger is a great sauce as they say. I reared a few turkeys a few years a go and gave them out as gifts to family and friends at Christmas time but don't think they appreciated them much one lady told me the trouble she had cooking the dam thing as it was too big and took all day to cook. if they saw you coming now with a bag of meat they wouldn't know how to cook it because they wouldn't be instructions on the pack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tallaght would be an interesting spot if the lights went out for 24 hrs.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

kerryjack wrote: »
    getting them to eat it would be another story ... if they saw you coming now with a bag of meat they wouldn't know how to cook it because they wouldn't be instructions on the pack.

Ah, that works both ways. My children were reared with the responsibility of each looking after one or two particular vegetables, from seed to harvest. Then the now-formerMrsCR had the bright idea of relocating them to SouthEast England, where their English granny offered them a meal of meat and veg. The children refused to eat it on the grounds that "these aren't real vegetables - they were bought in a shop!" MiL was not amused ... but I was! :D

But yours is a valid point, all the same: it's unbelievable, the number of my children's peers who don't know how to cook. At age seven or eight, its (borderline) excusable, but at eighteen or twenty-four? :eek:

Ah, that works both ways. My children were reared with the responsibility of each looking after one or two particular vegetables, from seed to harvest. Then the now-formerMrsCR had the bright idea of relocating them to SouthEast England, where their English granny offered them a meal of meat and veg. The children refused to eat it on the grounds that "these aren't real vegetables - they were bought in a shop!" MiL was not amused ... but I was! :D

But yours is a valid point, all the same: it's unbelievable, the number of my children's peers who don't know how to cook. At age seven or eight, its (borderline) excusable, but at eighteen or twenty-four? :eek:

Great idea for next year with the kids.
    My eldest whose 8 collects the eggs and put the chickens in at night.
    He was out watering calves and running them down the road to another field on Saturday. Not something he'd have done in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

blue5000 wrote: »

Tallagh is an interesting spot with the lights on 24 hours a day:D

My siblings (hard-core urbanites, the lot of them) know now that if they come here, their children will be put to work! :D That's not so much of a threat as it sounds, though. During one visit a few years ago, it came to light that the aforementioned SisterNo.1 had never made jam and didn't know how. Considering she grew up in the same kitchen as me and our jam-making mother, this was incomprehensible. One day of the holiday was tout de suite dedicated to jam-making lessons.

I'm mildly jealous of her husband - he has 4 acres about 1° south of the equator, so he can grow stuff all year round without worrying about annoying things like seasons! :cool:

It was quite weird hanging out with the African in-laws for nearly a month and finding that I had a lot more in common with them than with family and friends back in Dublin, at least in terms of attitude to sustainable living.

My siblings (hard-core urbanites, the lot of them) know now that if they come here, their children will be put to work! :D That's not so much of a threat as it sounds, though. During one visit a few years ago, it came to light that the aforementioned SisterNo.1 had never made jam and didn't know how. Considering she grew up in the same kitchen as me and our jam-making mother, this was incomprehensible. One day of the holiday was tout de suite dedicated to jam-making lessons.

I'm mildly jealous of her husband - he has 4 acres about 1° south of the equator, so he can grow stuff all year round without worrying about annoying things like seasons! :cool:

It was quite weird hanging out with the African in-laws for nearly a month and finding that I had a lot more in common with them than with family and friends back in Dublin, at least in terms of attitude to sustainable living.

I don't have to worry about seasons on my 4+acres either.. it always feckin rains in Kerry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

blue5000 wrote: »

:cool:

Advertisement