Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you feed your family from your farm.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Muckit wrote: »
    Or a calf and a machete! :D

Yea it's real funny Muckit. :rolleyes:

Just to open your eyes to where your animals if you breed any. Could end up.

https://twitter.com/mohammedlsm/status/1123621716142374912?s=20

There's loads more posts on social media with pictures. But frankly it's not needed for boards.

A bit of realism is needed in the debate with no virtue signalling from British freisian breeders or buyers looking for free calves.
    The only way it's solved is an income that goes to the farmer and pays a wage from when that animal was born to when it's slaughtered humanely.
    Breeders make decisions based on the market and if the market doesn't reward them for a good animal that'll flesh well. They won't breed that animal. Simples and that's what happened.

I used to be in the horse breeding business and you had these gobsh1te horse experts in this country extolling the virtues of the traditional Irish horse breed.
    But the same gobsh1tes would never breed a horse in their life, going to the sales and buying foals for below the stud fees and selling them on for 20k or more.
    What happened?
    Breeders gave up breeding or moved to more commercial foreign sires.
    Then the gobsh1tes kicked up and ran seminars with the horse board trying to get breeders back and they couldn't understand how these stupid breeders wouldn't breed these great horses anymore. It was too late by then and the breeders had left the breed or quit altogether.

The same thing is starting to occur in this whole freisian/dual purpose vs jersey bull calf debate.
    You have the buyers on their moral high ground looking down at the stupid breeders and wondering what on earth is occurring. You've still a few traditional breeders but not getting paid a viable price. And the buyers still expecting the breeders to treat it like a hobby to fund their own business.

The answer is simple. Price paid.

I can't wait for the seminars now telling breeders to breed British freisian for the country's image and reputation abroad and to keep the markets open.
    Don't tell me how I know. I've heard it all before with a different animal that went down the tubes. It all finishes when one is expected to raise and pay for that animal as a hobby. Even the top performers in the horse world won top prizes to keep the show going.
    What prize is there for the bull calf breeder and producer?

Anyways back on thread topic to self sufficiency and locking the family in the basement..

Advertisement