Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I didn't get this far to get this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Been following the thoughts on this. You're well capable of sub 1.50 for a half, but totally understand the need for a confidence boosting race - particularly when there's a marathon at the end of the training cycle! Sounds like a solid plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Not feeling very confident ahead of Saturday .

I know my training is going well, I know I haven’t missed a session , I know I have hit all the paces ( mostly with no bother). I know in paper my half marathon target should be very attainable.

The thing I have the issue with (apart from slightly elevated asthma symptoms, which I’m hoping will disappear before Saturday) is that I haven’t ran anywhere near what my PHMP should be for more then 2k in ages. I tried to do 2k last night (down a hill) to make myself feel better and only ended slightly coughy after. And it wasn’t even an aggressive pace. So how does your head just turn around those paces without practice ?

I've just looked back at my most recent HM - mid-marathon block too. In the seven weeks prior to that HM, I did a total of 271 miles - between all the various sessions and runs a total of 9 of those miles were at HM pace, and a further 12.5 at faster than HM pace. That's just 8% of the total miles in those 7 weeks at HM pace or faster - but on race day the pace was there.

Trust the training - you say yourself that it has been going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As the others have said, trust the training. You haven't run at a pace recently to catch a soon to depart Luas or bus. You haven't run as fast as you would to assist a person being mugged...but you'd be able to do it if you have to. The body doesn't forget how to run faster no more than it forgets how to ride a bike. Once the training is done it's there waiting for the switch to be flicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck. I think it will go better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

The very best of luck tomorrow R, in case I don't see you. The marathon is the main thing, so don't put yourself under too much pressure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you have a great run and come away with a much deserved confidence boost! Back yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck tomorrow and wishing you a lovely confidence inducing run. Remember the weather is given to be warm and sunny so take this into consideration too especially with the asthma symptoms later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks All. Going between “it should be grand and yeah maybe I can pb in dramatic style” to “just don't bother going “all day ! Any excuse though to eat a mountain of pasta !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow R. Hope it’s the perfect race for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great run!

Thanks all for the best wishes !

Yesterday I was going hoarse and throat scratchy. I had resigned myself to probably down grading the half to LSR. I am a very positive person. At the same time I spent half the day playing with my spreadsheet looking at pace combinations . Despite my very organized nature my club singlet was no where to be found . Whoops.

Slept all right if I’m honest - 6 hours grand . Woke up and forced myself to eat a big bowl of porridge to go with me tea. Heart rate was through the roof in the car ! (140 ish) Panic panic .

Got to Ratoath just in time to pee and do a tiny warm up. The plan was to run @ 5:20 for 10k and then pick up if it was plausible .

We managed to somehow get locked in to the middle of a pace group . There were 4/5 dunshaughlin runners leading . They were spread across the road with 4/5 other people just behind . We ran with that group for about 5.5miles - until the water station at the hill . The pace felt if I’m honest a bit effortless . We just ran as a unit for a bit and it felt good. I just checked the watch at each km to make sure it wasn’t too slow . A few times I had the urge to surge past but held back as I was determined to apply sensible pacing even if someone else was picking the pace lol ! First 8k - (5:15,5:15,5:11,5:15,5:12,5:21,5:16,5:19) Tried to run slowly drinking from those little cups but it wasn’t ideal- and logged 5:25 for the 9th km.

After 9k we made the decision to drive forward and try to keep the pace closer to 5:15.
    (5:15, 5:12,5:13,5:09,5:15). The pace started to feel like hard work now and the race was really starting.

My run buddy moved ahead - and I was a bit unfocused without her for a while - literally drifting from one side to the other side of the road ( I managed to run longer then anyone else 21.2! ) . Garmin logged a 5:25,5:16 and 5:23 for Kms 15,16,17).I think I may have stopped here for more water but can’t really remember )

Once I drifted (again all over the road) back into fairy house I regained my focus and concentrated on getting it done .(Km 18 =5:16, Km 19= 5:08) . The race course bit at the top around the 12 mile mark was pretty unpleasant. The nasty little wind here really hurt me. My breathing was ragged and the strength was seeping from my legs. (Km 20=5:22, felt much slower at the time)

Last km there was a little respite from the wind and I recovered a bit to clock a 5:08. After a tricky sand path negotiation the tiny last bit (.2 for me) was 4:47 - Couldn’t believe the clock had 151xx on it . Deadly

Chip time 1:51:29 - 3 min pb

I’m very happy with the result after the drama that was the Frank Duffy . I would have liked a sub 150 but didn’t want to risk another disappointing race on the off chance I had it in me! I think I made the right choice . Looking forward to having a few glasses of wine now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff, enjoy the wine!

I am so delighted for you. I was pressing refresh on Strava for ages waiting for you to upload your run. Very well done!!!

Do you take any gels or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great result, well done on a solid if meandering race. It sounded like you were staggering like a drunk at times! Haha

Thanks guys .

I’m off gels ! Taking Stacey Sims book on board .

I had Osmo in my bottle (70 cals) - as well as the water stops . Didn’t drink it all though .

I had three kinder bon bons . They are about 35 calories each - I meant to take more but didn’t . I also had 3/4 glucose sweets . They are really easy to eat when you are running at that pace , they melt in your mouth. Probably should have ate more .

Best of luck tomorrow K! You will smash it!

Thanks guys .

I off gels ! Taking Stacey Sims book on board .

I had Osmo in my bottle - as well as the water stops . Didn’t drink it all though .

I had three kinder bon bons . They are about 35 calories each - I meant to take more but didn’t . I also had 3/4 glucose sweets . They are really easy to eat when you are running at that pace , they melt in your mouth. Probably should have ate more .

Best of luck tomorrow K! You will smash it!

Thanks R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's a brilliant performance, with the PB it deserved! Well done you! Sorry I missed you.

What a week of highs n lows .

Tuesday 10th Sep
    —————————
    9 mile easy @6:15. A Grand easy run.

Wednesday 11th
    —————————-
    Should have been 4 mile easy. Starting to get nervous now - decided mid run to throw in 3k at PHMP . ( down hill in my defense )so slow 3.4k@6:25, fast 3k@5:19. The faster bit felt hard even though on a decline and coughed a lot afterwards. So the panic begins .

Thursday
    —————-

4 mile actually easy @6:11

On Friday -As I had mentioned I was feeling a bit off with a scratchy throat but nonetheless went back through my training for the year . Looked at my last HM stats and tried to use the data to convince myself I could do this. I had adjusted my target to give myself a fighting chance (1:53)

Saturday
    —————-
    Ratoath Half Marathon .chip time: 1:51:29

I was a bit emotional when I got over that finish line - tears in my eyes. I had no clue what would be on that clock - I knew it would be a pb mind.

After the initial excitement and post race buzz I’ve had a chance to look at the race properly .

Lessons learned :

1. Running in a big group really worked for me mentally - I was connected to the external factors and concentrating on the next step - had to remain focused so wouldn’t trip anyone up.

2. My focus is awful when left alone in my own head and without company on the course. I think I could have dipped under 151 if I had of stayed alert and maybe found some people to run with .

3. My confidence needs a shake . I was still nervous even in the last 2 miles of going too fast - scared of blowing up. I need to relax more especially towards the finish and go with my legs .

Sunday
    ——————
    6 mile recovery @ 6:23. I was too busy trying to get the heart rate to behave to pay attention to the pace - so ended up a tiny bit faster then I had planned . It did nothing to aid recovery as my legs still ache like hell. It felt grand running though if not a bit wet.

37 miles in total . That half sure took it out of me .

Big week ahead . Deep Breaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super result, and very well deserved. Hopefully it gives you confidence to trust the training you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats R on the PB. Now take this forward and know that you can do it. Believe more in yourself. Well done.

Thanks guys . I need to believe more in myself - and start to get notions about times I’m capable of. And of course embrace the pain !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great result and much deserved for the training you're putting in, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

PB!! Super stuff, well done! Sounds like you approached it the right way and I hope you're taking confidence from it now.

Week Beginning 16th of September

Tuesday
    —————-
    10 mile @ 6:05 on a hilly route

A group run - this was way too fast on my tired legs. This should have been 6:20 ish . Managed to pull the pace back for last 4K but damage was done .

Wednesday
    ———————
    Slept very badly Tuesday night - kept waking up with an ache in my right leg - couldn’t figure out exactly where the source of the pain was located but groin , butt, and top of thigh at the back were all moaning.

Pain continued all day and travelled further down leg at times . Didn’t help that I was sitting at my desk all day - and that I have a bad habit of sitting on my right leg !

Decided to be a grownup and not run . I was also exhausted but choosing to miss my first run of this training cycle was a big deal . The addiction is strong . Nearly strapped on the runners a few times but stayed strong . ( it was only 4 miles easy)

Thursday
    —————-
    Leg felt ok only a small bit twingee so did the session as scheduled .

8 (13k) miles - 2 mile AT, 4 mile MP, 2 mile AT

So two miles down a two mile hill more or less
    (10:35,9;35)

The place I wanted to go to do the 4 mile MP was closed off. I had wanted to avoid hills as feeling sorry for self . So I decided to do 1k loops around a skate park type place . Took me three k to figure out that I was loosing signal going under the bridge. So that’s why the first 200m each 1k was flat out to hit 9:00. I’d be in a go fast zone so it would take a while to slow back down , eventually crawling to the end to hit marathon pace . What an idiot . I’m calling it a Fartlek session .

MP: 8:45,8:54,8:33,8:43 ( in fantasy land )

Then return home via two mile hill ( 10:31,10;03)

Leg ached half way through session but then the pain disappeared for the rest of the day.

Friday
    ————-
    Leg a bit sore on and off - still couldn’t figure out where the source was but thinking maybe sciatica from piformis muscle .

Bit the bullet and rang physio- no appointment until Tuesday morning .

So the plan was to be stupid and chance the long run - bring the phone just in case !

Saturday
    ——————
    20 miles with 10 mile @MP (9:31 overall)

Beautiful morning for it. I was covered in tiger balm - I just lashed it on everywhere as no idea where the origin of the ache was. Phone and nurofen in belt.

Took 100ml of caffeine before run after the porridge . First 5 miles chatting a lot but breathing was a bit labored. Then an emergency bathroom stop (not for me ) before commencing 5 mile at MP. Took first choc bon bon here. These miles were grand - too chatty which we paid for later . (8:51,8;52,8:48,8:49,8:58) . Took another choc and some more caffeine after the fast bit.

The next 5k was slow up hill before restocking on water and more choc at cars.
    Then off again for five mile MP - now this hurt - maybe a little chatty at start but the nattering soon stopped . Had another sweet somewhere here and then started on the glucose tabs . Leg beginning to do its thing now and I just needed it to be done . Pushed hard to finish the MP ( 8:56.8:53,8:58,8:52,9:00) . Then of course up a two mile hill slow to finish. Just doing the death march - one foot in front of the other.

Very happy to have it done . Leg was ok after till later on that evening .Then start annoying me again - but now ankle involved - the one I sprained earlier in the year . Is this the culprit?

I think that run shocked me . I’ve suddenly realized how hard racing a marathon is going to be !!! Whoops

Sunday
    —————
    6 mile recovery @ 10:22.

No aches during run

It aches now though.

Roll on Tuesday for physio !

Total miles:44

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A great week- hopefully nothing too serious at tuesdays Physio appointment. It’s peak Marathon training weeks, I think everyone is pushing it physically.

Hope the pain is easily fixed by the physio. That was a great long run - really well done. When you say you are taking caffeine, in what form?

I think you are looking really strong for DCM.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hope the pain is easily fixed by the physio. That was a great long run - really well done. When you say you are taking caffeine, in what form?

I think you are looking really strong for DCM.

Thanks ! We have been experimenting for a few weeks to try and get it right . Have disregarded all the jellies/sweets with caffeine cause just too hard to get through . This was the latest one : https://www.therunhub.ie/Powerbar-Caffeine-Boost-4029679669932-22262/

It is vile - but seem to work well as in legs didn’t feel as heavy at the end . Took it timed so it kicked in for MP bits both times . Half before started to run and half after 16k. Didn’t effect stomach so I think this might be the one !

A not very exciting update on physio visit:

Piriformis muscle in butt causing the issues . Fortunately not too knotted - so a rub etc . Other than that everything looks good so zero excuses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks ! We have been experimenting for a few weeks to try and get it right . Have disregarded all the jellies/sweets with caffeine cause just too hard to get through . This was the latest one : https://www.therunhub.ie/Powerbar-Caffeine-Boost-4029679669932-22262/

It is vile - but seem to work well as in legs didn’t feel as heavy at the end . Took it timed so it kicked in for MP bits both times . Half before started to run and half after 16k. Didn’t effect stomach so I think this might be the one !

Hi R,

I’m reading up on use of caffeine products at the mo so just a quick couple of questions for ya. Have ya used gels with added caffeine and if ya did how did ya find them on your stomach and did ya get a noticeable boost from them? No drawbacks from the product above apart from the taste?!

Thanks

Advertisement