Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

83K per annum: Need suggestions for places for renting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taurus999

Reading through all replies, I’ve started my apprehensions about this move. As a lot of folks mentioned paying 50% of take home salary as rent is never going to help in any place of the world. I will try to negotiate to bump up the salary close to 100K (not optimistic). Or else would have to let go of this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taurus999

is_that_so wrote: »
    You need to prepare yourself and the family for the misery of an Irish winter so! If you're not used to the cold I'd strongly recommend thermals for the first year anyway. While we can have lovely crisp, cold days, mostly they tend to be dark, wet and cold. The near pitch-black days of December and January are a real mental challenge for some.

We’ve lived in Chicago and Pittsburgh couple of winters. So I guess this will be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

taurus999 wrote: »
    Reading through all replies, I’ve started my apprehensions about this move. As a lot of folks mentioned paying 50% of take home salary as rent is never going to help in any place of the world. I will try to negotiate to bump up the salary close to 100K (not optimistic). Or else would have to let go of this opportunity.
    Ultimately it depends on how you view the opportunity. It may be cheaper or more expensive than you anticipate. It may also be a great experience or it may not. Most people do have good experiences in Ireland and some of them never leave. You may have to make budgeting decisions but would still have a fairly decent lifestyle. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think people are being very negative on this thread. Of course we know that there are downsides to living here, but there are positives too that we take for granted.

Rent is the biggest problem in the country. There's no getting away from that, but that doesn't mean moving here is a bad idea.

Myself and my partner have a combined income of significantly less than your proposed salary OP, we don't have children yet but over the last few years we have managed to pay our rent for a 2 bedroom apartment, save €1,200 a month for a house deposit and get at least one holiday away every year. It depends a lot on how good you are with money and what kind of life you want. Our bank accounts are healthy and while we do like some luxuries, we are good with budgeting for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Lot of negativity in this thread indeed. 85k is any sane economy should see you live a very nice lifestyle even with your wife not working.... but dublin is a **** show at the moment.... the cost of renting and childcare are a joke...

i know nothing about Dallas but i would seriously think about staying if you're lifestyle is good and you have the things there that you want in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tow

hognef wrote: »
    It doesn't change your point, but a 255k mortgage plus a 51k deposit would mean a 306k home.

My in-laws are in Dallas. They are at the end of the of the DART lines. What you can buy in Dallas for $/€300 far exceeds what you can buy at the cheapest end (Graystones) of a Dublin Dart line.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

jobless wrote: »
    Lot of negativity in this thread indeed. 85k is any sane economy should see you live a very nice lifestyle even with your wife not working.... but dublin is a **** show at the moment.... the cost of renting and childcare are a joke...

They won't be paying for childcare though, his wife isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Honestly, I think that's a shame because a lot of people are painting worst case scenarios here.

But you know your own circumstances better than anyone and the only thing to do in a situation like this is crunch some real numbers.

Have you put your salary into the tax calculator yet?

https://www.pwc.ie/budget-2019-ireland/income-tax-calculator.html

Have you looked at places on Daft? Do you need three bedrooms or only two; could your children share?

If so, there are places like this that I think are well withing your budget:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/ballsbridge/haddington-square-beggars-bush-ballsbridge-dublin-1967115/

This leaves you around a half hour walk to work. The Odeon cinema is also a similar walk away. It is also in one of the more expensive areas in Dublin (and just an idea to get you thinking, it might not suit your needs).

As for eating out three times a week that's not really as economical in Ireland. We don't have the same "family dining" culture that you do in the States. Once a week might be doable but most families eat at home most of the time.

People are being overly pessimistic on this thread but ultimately you need to crunch the numbers and see can it work.

Don't listen to the doomsayers, its not all that bad. You typically only get those with serious woes posting on this kind of topic, anyone who is happy with their lot in life isn't gonna be on here extolling the virtues of life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Earthhorse wrote: »

If so, there are places like this that I think are well withing your budget:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/ballsbridge/haddington-square-beggars-bush-ballsbridge-dublin-1967115/

This leaves you around a half hour walk to work. .

Well done for finding that for the OP.
    A 2 bed probably isn't what he is looking for- but the very fact that you could find a lovely property like this- off Haddington Road- at the price its at- is amazing and brilliant news for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

OP just incase you thought you might want to buy a property in this lovely country, banks will only lend 3 times (sometimes 3.5 in exceptional cases) so that's 255k for you, deposit of 51k would be also required. Now search daft ie and try and find a lovely family home in a family friendly area for 255k. Then you will start to realise the grass isn't always greener in the emerald isle. Now average rent of 1.5k to 2k a month in Dublin. Try paying that and saving for a deposit at the same time.

Just to clarify something for OP, this is inaccurate. You can borrow 3.5 times your salary, with exceptions up to 4.2. Taking the standard 3.5, it would allow you to borrow 297,500. Add in the deposit requirement (10% for first time buyers, 20% for second time buyers, but I'm not sure how that works for ex-pats), but you're up to significantly higher than the 255k property this poster is suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They have an outdoor lifestyle there. Although heat might be a bit ott at times. I’m sure as hell though , that they don’t have anything like the insane marginal rate of tax as here, because it would never, ever be tolerated over there !

Do you rent or own your home op? I really think I’d be coming over here to take a look first. Enquiring about schools etc. there are now direct flights from Dublin to dfw with American to the best of my knowledge!

Well done for finding that for the OP.
    A 2 bed probably isn't what he is looking for- but the very fact that you could find a lovely property like this- off Haddington Road- at the price its at- is amazing and brilliant news for the OP.

Good luck getting that ! Even if you want it , there will be lots of competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If I remember correctly Texas doesn't have State income tax.

There's no point comparing apples with oranges here.

Who cares whether the marginal rate is 0% or 99%?

What matters is the actual cost of living and your actual take home pay. Everything else is irrelevant from a budgetary point of view.

Yeah true. I’d just thread very carefully if I were the op

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Texas doesn't have State income tax.

There's no point comparing apples with oranges here.

Who cares whether the marginal rate is 0% or 99%?

What matters is the actual cost of living and your actual take home pay. Everything else is irrelevant from a budgetary point of view.

Using the online calculator- a single income household with 2 kids, on a gross salary of 85k has a net salary of 56,890. This is the headline figure the OP needs to be aware of.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah true. I’d just thread very carefully if I were the op

What I'd suggest- is a 6 month trial, on the proviso that the employer organises accommodation for the duration.

The biggest and most problematic aspect of this- is the severe lack of accommodation in Dublin- and the lengths people have to go to to secure it.

Also OP- does your employer pay your health insurance? If they do- your disposable income takes another cut- as you have to pay BIK (Benefit in Kind) tax on it.

Ireland *is* very probably one of the most child centric countries on the planet- and its great bringing up children here. Its well worth making sacrifices elsewhere in your lifestyle- for the opportunity to bring up your children here. I'm saying this as someone who has lived in 7 different countries at various stages- and am happily bringing my munchkins up here.

There are pros and cons to the different government models, taxation systems and social welfare models in different countries- the biggest con in an Irish context- is the eye watering tax system here- but whether people like to admit it or not, we do in fact get a lot back for what we pay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

Hi taurus, out of interest - what are your reasons for moving from Dallas?

If money is the only concern then Ireland is a poor choice coming from the US - there is far more opportunity and money in the US itself than in Ireland at present.

I’m guessing there must be other concerns here.

85k on a single income would probably be just barely “livable” for a family renting in a Dublin suburb right now.

Does your job offer work from home, or flexible hours? A 30 minute commute to the city centre won’t be easy to get due to rental prices, if you’re working 9-5:30.

To advise you properly, we need to understand why you’re moving from Dallas to begin with, ie. What are you looking for in Dublin which you’re not getting in Dallas?
    Or is it the case that your job is forcing the relocation, and you’ll no longer have a job if you stay in Dallas, but you would stay in Dallas if you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd look at Sallins / Naas.

40min commute to Connolly Station.

Reasonable rents and plenty of reasonable priced housing going up.

Good road network (M7 upgrade)

Plenty of shopping, leisure, schools about including Kildare outlets

Might mean an extra 15- 20 min commute, but lifestyle is far better

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yoke wrote: »
    Hi taurus, out of interest - what are your reasons for moving from Dallas?

If money is the only concern then Ireland is a poor choice coming from the US - there is far more opportunity and money in the US itself than in Ireland at present.

I’m guessing there must be other concerns here.

85k on a single income would be just barely “livable” for a family renting in a Dublin suburb right now.

Does your job offer work from home, or flexible hours? A 30 minute commute to the city centre won’t be easy to get due to rental prices, if you’re working 9-5:30.

To advise you properly, we need to understand why you’re moving from Dallas to begin with, ie. What are you looking for in Dublin which you’re not getting in Dallas?

I know plenty of families on less than 85 k and having a good life.

There’s plenty of room to make savings .
    That the 12 k annual cost for the family car. That includes depreciation etc

Buy a 10 year old car for 5k. Keep it for say 4 years.
    1,250 a year
    Tax 400
    insurance 400
    Service 200

That’s 2,250 a year.
    Say 8.5litre per 100km. At 12,000km a year at 1.40 a litre= 1,428.

So that’s €3,678, or €8,322 less than the value quoted. Which represent €16,644 of a salary difference before tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

ted1 wrote: »
    I know plenty of families on less than 85 k and having a good life.

There’s plenty of room to make savings .
    That the 12 k annual cost for the family car. That includes depreciation etc

Buy a 10 year old car for 5k. Keep it for say 4 years.
    1,250 a year
    Tax 400
    insurance 400
    Service 200

That’s 2,250 a year.
    Say 8.5litre per 100km. At 12,000km a year at 1.40 a litre= 1,428.

So that’s €3,678, or €8,322 less than the value quoted. Which represent €16,644 of a salary difference before tax.

Hi ted,

Are those families renting, or have they got mortgages? It can make a huge difference, about €10k a year net.

Are those families living in “rough” areas, where a fresh immigrant family from Dallas is likely to have trouble, but they don’t get any hassle because they’re from there? Dublin can be surprisingly insular, when comparing it to an American city.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yoke wrote: »
    Hi ted,

Are those families renting, or have they got mortgages? It can make a huge difference, about €10k a year net.

Are those families living in “rough” areas, where a fresh immigrant family from Dallas is likely to have trouble, but they don’t get any hassle because they’re from there? Dublin can be surprisingly insular, when comparing it to an American city.
    No, most own , some rent. None live in tough areas. Most are coastal towns in south Dublin or Rathfarnham/ knocklyon

My example showed how someone on 85k could have the same lifestyle as someone on 68.5 by simply buying an older car and not getting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Any move is scary. The Dublin property market at the moment is a bit of a mess, so people are just trying to prepare you for that. As well as asking your employer to increase the salary, I think it's a good idea to also ask them to put you up for a few months to start with as part of your relocation package - 2 weeks is not a lot of time to arrive in Dublin, start work and find a new place to live.

Overall, ignoring money (she said, casually), is this a good move for you? Will this new role provide you with experience you might not get elsewhere, leading to an even better job in a year or two? Will your family benefit from the experience of living in Ireland? Do you actively want to adapt to the Irish lifestyle (less family dining out, more cooking and entertaining at home, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

We’ve lived in Chicago and Pittsburgh couple of winters. So I guess this will be manageable.

Keep in mind that the “crack of dawn” is around 9am at the solstice, by half four in the evening I’d have the blinds drawn. You’d be in Canada or Alaska to find winter days as short! Summer goes a long way to make up for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thoie wrote: »
    Any move is scary. The Dublin property market at the moment is a bit of a mess, so people are just trying to prepare you for that. As well as asking your employer to increase the salary, I think it's a good idea to also ask them to put you up for a few months to start with as part of your relocation package - 2 weeks is not a lot of time to arrive in Dublin, start work and find a new place to live.

Overall, ignoring money (she said, casually), is this a good move for you? Will this new role provide you with experience you might not get elsewhere, leading to an even better job in a year or two? Will your family benefit from the experience of living in Ireland? Do you actively want to adapt to the Irish lifestyle (less family dining out, more cooking and entertaining at home, etc.)?

Wha?

People can eat out as much as they like. This is a bit odd.

OP, I work in a company with about 60 different nationalities including plenty of Americans. People like it here, they get on fine, people have bought houses, settled, had their children here etc. This forum is relentlessly negative for the most part. You'll need to have a think about the rent situation and maybe go back to your employer on that, beyond that you'll be grand in Dublin.

What I'd suggest- is a 6 month trial, on the proviso that the employer organises accommodation for the duration.

The biggest and most problematic aspect of this- is the severe lack of accommodation in Dublin- and the lengths people have to go to to secure it.

Also OP- does your employer pay your health insurance? If they do- your disposable income takes another cut- as you have to pay BIK (Benefit in Kind) tax on it.

Ireland *is* very probably one of the most child centric countries on the planet- and its great bringing up children here. Its well worth making sacrifices elsewhere in your lifestyle- for the opportunity to bring up your children here. I'm saying this as someone who has lived in 7 different countries at various stages- and am happily bringing my munchkins up here.

There are pros and cons to the different government models, taxation systems and social welfare models in different countries- the biggest con in an Irish context- is the eye watering tax system here- but whether people like to admit it or not, we do in fact get a lot back for what we pay in.

I agree with the vast majority of this! This bit though, this bit! I highly disagree with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tow

I agree with the vast majority of this! This bit though, this bit! I highly disagree with!!!
    biggest con in an Irish context- is the eye watering tax system here- but whether people like to admit it or not, we do in fact get a lot back for what we pay in.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

What he pays in tax, he will save by not paying american health insurance + property tax. Secondary schools here are another cost; happy with the 'free!' schools here or payout ~7K a years each for 'private' school. But on the plus collage/university fees are substantially cheaper in Ireland

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The property market is a mess, but if you get over that and source a decent place in a decent area you're ok. This is the internet and there's a few crackpots on this thread with various gripes and issues. Some of them have barely visited Dublin and know nothing about the place, so take some of the views with a pinch of salt.

Have a look at commutable areas, have a look at prices on DAFT.ie and go on to the Dublin forum on boards.ie and ask about the areas.

I've lived in Dublin for over thirty years. I have been in over half of the us states, there are pro's to here. But I think many could get a serious shock when they come here from the US. Free health care my ass! E60 a gp visit! Free health care if you have a medical card, which you wont be getting op, the only thing breaking your neck and paying extortionate income taxes here does, is actually exclude you from the perks of the free everything that many of the citizens here qualify for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I've lived in Dublin for over thirty years. I have been in over half of the us states, there are pro's to here. But I think many could get a serious shock when they come here from the US. Free health care my ass! E60 a gp visit! Free health care if you have a medical card, which you wont be getting op, the only thing breaking your neck and paying extortionate income taxes here does, is actually exclude you from the perks of the free everything that many of the citizens here qualify for.
    To be clear,you're saying that someone coming from the USA will get a shock in Ireland at the cost of healthcare?

Advertisement