Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

83K per annum: Need suggestions for places for renting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

80K puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/are-you-a-high-income-earner-if-you-are-on-80-000-a-year-1.3605299

Some posts here are remarkable...

Single income household with family to support. If it was both earning that amount then yes they would be on the pigs back. Ireland is now a country that has been socially engineered to the point whereby children are raised by strangers whilst both parents have to work to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

taurus999 wrote: »
    3. Schools:
    a.how easy/difficult to get into schools?
    Hello!
    A suggestion on schools: when you've sorted out your accommodation just ring around the local schools and ask if any places have recently opened up. Kids are able to start at almost zero notice if you're able to take up the offer quickly.

A poster recommended Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Glasnevin [concur]- consider Cabra East also. All are walking distance to North Wall Quay, and will suit your budget. Ashtown is a pleasant cycle along the canal or train ride to your work.. All are utterly safe.
    Phibsboro would be the one I would (and did) choose. Very happy there, very good for school / parks / family-friendly eateries.

Good luck with the move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

techdiver wrote: »
    Single income household with family to support. If it was both earning that amount then yes they would be on the pigs back. Ireland is now a country that has been socially engineered to the point whereby children are raised by strangers whilst both parents have to work to make ends meet.

that doesn't change the fact of what I said.

judging by some posts here the OP is going to be living on the bread line and queuing at soup kitchens...

that doesn't change the fact of what I said.

judging by some posts here the OP is going to be living on the bread line and queuing at soup kitchens...

I think that is a little disingenuous. Whilst no doubt that will not be the case, we are at a situation whereby a salary that should be considered high is not quite that once you delve into the situation of the person earning it.

People earning that should not be in the "just getting by" bracket. These are the people who one would hope have plenty in reserve every month to plough into pensions and savings in order to not be a burden on the state in the future.

kceire wrote: »
    Not a chance the fare to rush would be refused. It’s a better earned than 3 smaller fares. Dorset street to Ashbourne is €35 the last time I took that fare.

St. Margaret’s is north finglas (back of the airport), it’s an easy fare out the N2. Not a chance it would be refused.

Any taxi man will tell you, they earn their corn through repeated small fares because of the initial pickup charge when you get in. A 5 minute trip across town from Parnell Sq. to Merrion Sq. is about a tenner on the premium rate, with an almost guaranteed fare after drop off. Do 5 of them and it takes you 45 mins max, adding in 5 mins cruising for a fare in between (which is generous). Plus, you're still in town at the end of all that. To get the same amount of cash, you wouldn't even be out to Rush yet, never mind the question of who's gonna be getting a cab back into the city centre from Rush in the a.m.

I know full well where St. Margarets is, my GFs friend lives out there and she has a bucketload of instances where the fare has been refused. She often will tell the driver it's just Finglas she's heading to then give directions from there onwards.

Your point about Dorset st to Ashbourne is great......if you're drinking in Dorset St. (pro tip: Dorset St is a sh1thole, I grew up round the corner). It also ignores the fact that its €15 to get to Dorset st from the Bleeding Horse end of town in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any taxi man will tell you, they earn their corn through repeated small fares because of the initial pickup charge when you get in. A 5 minute trip across town from Parnell Sq. to Merrion Sq. is about a tenner on the premium rate, with an almost guaranteed fare after drop off. Do 5 of them and it takes you 45 mins max, adding in 5 mins cruising for a fare in between (which is generous). Plus, you're still in town at the end of all that. To get the same amount of cash, you wouldn't even be out to Rush yet, never mind the question of who's gonna be getting a cab back into the city centre from Rush in the a.m.

I know full well where St. Margarets is, my GFs friend lives out there and she has a bucketload of instances where the fare has been refused. She often will tell the driver it's just Finglas she's heading to then give directions from there onwards.

Your point about Dorset st to Ashbourne is great......if you're drinking in Dorset St. (pro tip: Dorset St is a sh1thole, I grew up round the corner). It also ignores the fact that its €15 to get to Dorset st from the Bleeding Horse end of town in the first instance.

Id take the fare all day long. My time as a taxi driver and current licence holder places me in a horses mouth position to confirm that I would take a fare to rush all day long.

I have my doubts they prefer shorter runs really as it’s much easier to just get a fare and do a longish drive than dealing with multiples of often drunk people.

In any case if you have an issue getting a taxi lie about the destination. I had found some taxis didn’t want to bring me home not that it was extremely far (about 25km from Galway city) but they didn’t like leaving main roads and going down small country roads so now I never give the destination but instead give the nearest town and a few miles before it I say “it’s the next left here....” and direct them from there. Some might complain but none have put me out on ten side of the road.

Id take the fare all day long. My time as a taxi driver and current licence holder places me in a horses mouth position to confirm that I would take a fare to rush all day long.

Fair play to you. There's hundreds who wouldn't, even in this day and age where the market is saturated.
    In any case if you have an issue getting a taxi lie about the destination. I had found some taxis didn’t want to bring me home not that it was extremely far (about 25km from Galway city) but they didn’t like leaving main roads and going down small country roads so now I never give the destination but instead give the nearest town and a few miles before it I say “it’s the next left here....” and direct them from there. Some might complain but none have put me out on ten side of the road.

The last line of the post you quoted says that is exactly what she does on a regular basis. Also, multiple shorter runs = multiple chances of a tip. A €2 tip x 5 is better than a single tip of €6

The last line of the post you quoted says that is exactly what she does on a regular basis.

Sorry only skimmed the post.

What reasons do they give for refusal?
    She should report them as there’s only 2/3 legal reasons to refuse a fair within your license boundary.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you. There's hundreds who wouldn't, even in this day and age where the market is saturated.

May be hundreds that won’t take that fare (although I’d dispute your numbers) but there’s thousands that would take that fare (my figures can also be disputed).

What reasons do they give for refusal?

"I'm clocking off soon, that's too far out of my way"
    "That's outside the limits, I'm not allowed/insured to go out that far"
    "That's too far, It's off the meter and a minimum charge of €X for that distance"
    "I'm not going out there, luv, I'll never get a fare back into town"

They may not be valid, but that's little comfort to a girl on her own trying to get home at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting thoughts. Reading through the internet and suggestions from colleagues made my thinking to stay away from the North Side.
    Is there any genuine reasons or it’s just a stereotype thinking?
    How safe is the north side for new to country family?
    We are non-native English speaking family. Relocating from USA.
    One would have to ask where these people come from! You'll learn quickly enough that some of those south of the river have "issues" with the Northside anyway! :D

Aside from the areas recommended up thread by pmcc1 anywhere along the coast(the DART/train) is perfectly OK but the average rent will vary a lot depending on the area. The likes of Clontarf, Raheny, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide, Howth and further out places like Rush, Donabate, Lusk and Skerries are perfectly fine as areas. Anywhere to Howth is 30m or less by train with Skerries closer to an hour. Most of them too will have the types of facilities you would hope for, for you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dallas, Texas

You need to prepare yourself and the family for the misery of an Irish winter so! If you're not used to the cold I'd strongly recommend thermals for the first year anyway. While we can have lovely crisp, cold days, mostly they tend to be dark, wet and cold. The near pitch-black days of December and January are a real mental challenge for some.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ireland-among-worst-in-europe-for-childcare-and-homecare-support-1.4022786?mode=amp

Very relevant to this thread in relation to the difficult choice people have between affording to live on a single income and paying for childcare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ what planet are some of you living on?

85k is a pretty good salary for a family. Are you telling me that a couple earning 42.5 k each can't afford to live somewhere safe, eat out a bit and have a holiday? That's two Garda or nurses maybe?

This thread just shows how out of touch some people are with average working people. OP, you won't be living like a king but you certainly won't be on the breadline.

The negativity is some joke in here

I work public sector pay and pension calculations as part of my day job.

2 public sector employees on 42.5k each will net roughly 4,700 per month between them (assuming no private health insurance).

Net take home pay per annum 56,600 (ish)

Real world situation:

Rent @ 2,200 in Lucan Co. Dublin = 26,000 odd per annum
    Car for one of the two workers @ 12.5k per annum (according to the AA)
    Bus ticket/train/Luas taxsaver ticket for the other @ 1k
    Childcare (assuming the two children are of school age) @ 1,250 per month (between them) = 15k per annum (Afterschool prices for North Kildare/West Dublin).

So- rent, transport and childcare- nothing else whatsoever- comes to within a smidgen of the net income the parents get for working.

On 85k they will qualify for a reduced rate credit for childcare from October (the Ministers new childcare scheme) worth approx 6k

They will get 280 a month in children's benefit worth 3,360

They very possibly may qualify for HAP or FIS (despite being on a combined gross salary of 85k). Arguably this might be worth 14k per annum to them.

So- in exchange for 2 employees working full time in the public sector on a healthy gross salary of 85k- they are defacto living on social welfare benefits and other supports which almost certainly top 10k per annum, and could, depending on their circumstances, be as high as 25k per annum.

Particularly in the context of Dublin- where its far from unusual for a family to spend half their net income on rent- a gross combined salary of 85k- is nowhere near as generous as it looks like at first glance.

Note- Ireland *has* the second highest childcare costs globally (after Japan)- and the OP has two young children and a spouse to keep in the equation.

It very possibly may not be worth the spouse's while working - when rent and other deductions are factored into the equation, there is a perverse disincentive to working- depending on family circumstances etc.

85k sounds like a very generous package- what the OP needs to do is plug it into a tax calculator to find out what the net is- and then look at accommodation costs for a family of 4- to see if its worth it.

If you use a standard Irish tax calculator- and input the OP's situation- single earner of 85k, spouse not working and 2 children into the equation- allowing for transfer of tax credits etc the OP gets a net salary of 58,650 or 4,890 per month.

Link here- OP plug your figures in here

Don't get me wrong 4,890 per month is generous- if your single perhaps- but when you need to support a family of 4- and you're working in Dublin City Centre- its not nearly as generous as it seems...........

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Stay where you are, as an Irishman who can home from the states last year. Worst decision I made was thinking my country had changed. In addition to the volatile EU market and the impending crash are you really prepared to move your family to a country that has an uncertain future?

"I'm clocking off soon, that's too far out of my way"
    "That's outside the limits, I'm not allowed/insured to go out that far"
    "That's too far, It's off the meter and a minimum charge of €X for that distance"
    "I'm not going out there, luv, I'll never get a fare back into town"

They may not be valid, but that's little comfort to a girl on her own trying to get home at 2am

Deffo report them.
    The long fares balance out not getting a fare back in in most cases.
    I loved getting long fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Would you need childcare though if your wife is at home? Maybe your wife could do some childminding?

There shouldn't be large school fees. I think you're going to have to reconsider the eating out a few times a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭HBC08

Insurance on a family car also shouldn't be anywhere near 1.5-2k. I have an Octavia estate and the insurance is under 400 per year, the road tax is 190 per year.

And do you think it would be similar for somebody trying to get insurance in Ireland for the first time? Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Insurance on a family car also shouldn't be anywhere near 1.5-2k. I have an Octavia estate and the insurance is under 400 per year, the road tax is 190 per year.

Full no claims and an Irish license...

Stay where you are, as an Irishman who can home from the states last year. Worst decision I made was thinking my country had changed. In addition to the volatile EU market and the impending crash are you really prepared to move your family to a country that has an uncertain future?

I know several people who came home and loved it. They said the best part was sending their kids to school and not worrying about them being caught up in a shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

Schools - Sept to June. Some schools are harder to get into than others, my kids aren't at school age yet so someone else will confirm but I think there's an obligation for your local school to offer you a place.

Schools can be very difficult to get into especially if you want a particular type of school. There are a shortage of school options for co-ed and non religious schools in many areas. There will nearly always be school places available just not necessarily in your first, second or even third choice school. Once you have focused your search on a couple of areas contact the schools you are interested in as places in a good school might narrow the search area for you. Someone said later on in this thread that places further up the school are easier to secure, this is the complete opposite in my experience. A friend returning to Ireland got a place for her third class kid (9yo) in her 9th choice school and quite a distance from where they lived. The school my kids go to has huge class sizes from third class up but relatively low in the younger years.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

ted1 wrote: »
    I know several people who came home and loved it. They said the best part was sending their kids to school and not worrying about them being caught up in a shooting

What is there to love anymore, the ridiculous tax rates professionals have to pay to support the over educated and unwashed, the ridiculous tenant laws if you try invest in property, the rampant racism exercised on a daily basis, the fact minority groups dictating to the majority on how the country should be run, the justice system where criminals run free and allowed to recommit at will or the fact our Garda Síochána have absolutely no power or capability to protect the general population and lastly the impending economic crash of the EU.

The fact that on 85k a year with 2 kids and a wife he will be barely able to etch out an existence in Dublin let alone holiday and eat out regularly.

Why not tell him the truth instead of making it all out to be a bed of roses.

OP just incase you thought you might want to buy a property in this lovely country, banks will only lend 3 times (sometimes 3.5 in exceptional cases) so that's 255k for you, deposit of 51k would be also required. Now search daft ie and try and find a lovely family home in a family friendly area for 255k. Then you will start to realise the grass isn't always greener in the emerald isle. Now average rent of 1.5k to 2k a month in Dublin. Try paying that and saving for a deposit at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dallas to Dublin. Jesus it would be comedy if it wasn’t so potentially serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Eds wrote: »
    Schools can be very difficult to get into especially if you want a particular type of school. There are a shortage of school options for co-ed and non religious schools in many areas. There will nearly always be school places available just not necessarily in your first, second or even third choice school. Once you have focused your search on a couple of areas contact the schools you are interested in as places in a good school might narrow the search area for you. Someone said later on in this thread that places further up the school are easier to secure, this is the complete opposite in my experience. A friend returning to Ireland got a place for her third class kid (9yo) in her 9th choice school and quite a distance from where they lived. The school my kids go to has huge class sizes from third class up but relatively low in the younger years.

OP, as a parent my advice is prioritize your children's school needs and then work the rest out after that. In Ireland secondary school's often take from particular primary schools, So if you are staying for the long haul you need to consider secondary schools first and then pick your primary schools. Siblings often have right of entry so you need to get it right for the first child. Many secondary schools in Dublin are fee paying and the fees are expensive. I left Dublin many years ago. All my family are still there and all they talk about is schools.

Eating out in Ireland is relatively expensive compared to many places around the world. I travel a lot and this is one thing that stands out. (Ok, Brussels is worse)

My son is working in Dublin now and renting is seriously dysfunctional. A researcher on the radio today suggested this is a now a global problem driven by hedge funds moving into property management.

What no one seems to have mentioned is that the job market in Dublin has been very strong for a few years now. Many of the tech companies have set up their EMEA HQ in Dublin so they are not moving quickly. Dublin is also now a global fin tech hub.

I left Dublin in my late 20's and live down the country now. I like to get back as much as I can as I think Dublin is a great city.

My advise is come over on your own first, if you can, and form your own opinions. Its a big undertaking to move family, especially to another country.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

OP just incase you thought you might want to buy a property in this lovely country, banks will only lend 3 times (sometimes 3.5 in exceptional cases) so that's 255k for you, deposit of 51k would be also required. Now search daft ie and try and find a lovely family home in a family friendly area for 255k. Then you will start to realise the grass isn't always greener in the emerald isle. Now average rent of 1.5k to 2k a month in Dublin. Try paying that and saving for a deposit at the same time.

It doesn't change your point, but a 255k mortgage plus a 51k deposit would mean a 306k home.

Op is coming to rent and won’t be looking to buy for years. Banks do make exceptions to the 3.5 rule and prices are fallen

boege wrote: »
    OP, as a parent my advice is prioritize your children's school needs and then work the rest out after that. In Ireland secondary school's often take from particular primary schools, So if you are staying for the long haul you need to consider secondary schools first and then pick your primary schools. Siblings often have right of entry so you need to get it right for the first child. Many secondary schools in Dublin are fee paying and the fees are expensive. I left Dublin many years ago. All my family are still there and all they talk about is schools.

Eating out in Ireland is relatively expensive compared to many places around the world. I travel a lot and this is one thing that stands out. (Ok, Brussels is worse)

My son is working in Dublin now and renting is seriously dysfunctional. A researcher on the radio today suggested this is a now a global problem driven by hedge funds moving into property management.

What no one seems to have mentioned is that the job market in Dublin has been very strong for a few years now. Many of the tech companies have set up their EMEA HQ in Dublin so they are not moving quickly. Dublin is also now a global fin tech hub.

I left Dublin in my late 20's and live down the country now. I like to get back as much as I can as I think Dublin is a great city.

My advise is come over on your own first, if you can, and form your own opinions. Its a big undertaking to move family, especially to another country.

Best of luck with it.

In recent years Eating out in US cities is very expensive, much more so than Dublin in my experience. Same for drink, as expensive as some places in Dublin is drinking in the US is even more expensive and you don’t even get a proper imperial pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Moving from there to here will be some shock. There is no such thing as personal responsibility here. Law and order is a farce , luckily most of it is minor enough crime. Want to drive a proper decent intro engines car like in the states ? Top motor tax rate here is e2350. Education system is quite good. People quite nice in general. Dublin has lovely geographical setting. Traffic is a farce , you see it’s a medieval city in the centre , they then in their infinite wisdom , decide to build an entirely car dependent city , with roads that you would find in American villages...

You might need to factor in private healthcare too. What do your family make of this potential move ?

Advertisement