Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Doubt it,I couldn't sign in last month,guy in customer care asked " where and when did you first subscribe?"
    Told him "Mexico" as I'm working mostly there but manage to come home for 2/3 months of the year,and can't afford 2 subs, bingo no sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Doubt it,I couldn't sign in last month,guy in customer care asked " where and when did you first subscribe?"
    Told him "Mexico" as I'm working mostly there but manage to come home for 2/3 months of the year,and can't afford 2 subs, bingo no sweat

And he reactivated your account for you on the spot? Great result if so.

I was onto them via chat last night for over an hour and all they'd tell me was my account was cancelled due to suspicious activity. Wouldn't or couldn't tell him what the suspicious activity was so asked how do they expect me to renew membership if I don’t know what the problem was or how to prevent it in future. All they kept telling me was to renew with a different credit card so not sure if Revolut is the red flag. Asked how they can cancel my account mid subscription and they advised a refund has been processed but took a while to confirm that refund would be for full monthly sub of TRY41.98 and that it could take up to 30 days to receive it. Still no email from Netflix to state account has been cancelled or refund pending which is pretty poor.

Later tried renewing my account via TOR but when I entered my Revolut details it gave an error stating there was a problem with the payment (never even got to the section requiring mobile confirmation). Created a virtual card and tried that but same error so reluctantly tried an AIB credit card but same issue.
    Mrdata, has payment been taken in TRY from your debit card and account now active. What sort of bank charges was applied for the payment do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Yeah it seems they can now check which country the credit/debit card is assigned to.

I know F1tv PRO was doing this for a while - even with VPN, DNS trick, it wouldn't accept a non-US card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Tried today using the tips for TOR and any card I tried was a problem including a virtual Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Poolboy19

tony1980 wrote: »
    Tried today using the tips for TOR and any card I tried was a problem including a virtual Revolut card.

Have you cancelled your existing Irish subscription with Netflix before trying it through Tor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Signed up a few months ago via the steps in this thread, with a Revolut card. Not working as of this afternoon. Logging back in with the same ID prompts me to re-activate my membership with ROI prices displayed. Going via the Tor route with my Revolut card, says there's a problem with the payment method. Using the card on Amazon so I know it's not a Revolut problem.

Looks like they've clamped down on the Turkish route. The next thing for me is to find the cheapest subscription in the EU and go that way instead. I doubt they will be allowed to block cards from other EU countries - that would be against the single-bloc rules!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Used Hola VPN. Signed up through Mexico again and it looks like it was about 30 cent dearer than using revolut last month but unsure if that is exchange rate difference. Interesting to see if they cancel it in the future.

Poolboy19 wrote: »
    Have you cancelled your existing Irish subscription with Netflix before trying it through Tor?

It had expired two weeks ago. Do I have to anything further to cancel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I’ve just received refunds from Netflix for the two months that I was paying in Turkish lira. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

carrotcake wrote: »
    I’ve just received refunds from Netflix for the two months that I was paying in Turkish lira. :eek:

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Would I be right in assuming anyone getting refunds has been with them for a relatively short period of time?

I'm with them almost two years now, can't envisage them going through literally millions of accounts to weed out long timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Argentina not accepting revolut either and also requesting phone number on Irish cards. Did someone have joy with Mexican route recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Poolboy19

tony1980 wrote: »
    It had expired two weeks ago. Do I have to anything further to cancel it?

Nope, sign in to your account while on Tor and you should be able to do it unless of course the clamp down has begun!! I use my banks credit card and it comes in for around 5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Pity but was only a matter of time before they started to clamp down.
    I'd guess the growing number of people not renewing Irish & UK subscriptions didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

These kind of deals on bargain alerts remind me of when travel writers/reviewers rave about a "hidden gem". Before long the hidden gem becomes so popular that it closes down/has to restrict numbers. Still I guess the whole point in BA/UK hotdeals etc is to share info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

digitaldr wrote: »
    These kind of deals on bargain alerts remind me of when travel writers/reviewers rave about a "hidden gem". Before long the hidden gem becomes so popular that it closes down/has to restrict numbers. Still I guess the whole point in BA/UK hotdeals etc is to share info.

I don't see myself paying the Irish rates to be honest so they either get cheap money or no money from me.
    I quickly deleted by revolut backup payment method from mine and left my trusty irish card. It seems like its revolut cards are the ones being identified?

Lastly, surely they can't insist on a Turkish card, you could be living there with an Irish bank account for all they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

So, what best course of action? delete the revolut card and use standard irish AIB/ BoI card until those are also identified. - and open they never will be? what other downside .. not paying irish subs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You can always change Revolut to one of the many other currency cards available and getting a Turkish SIM card isn’t a bad idea as this could also be triggering the cancellations

https://travelsim.com/country/turkey/

https://travelsim.com/shipping/#faq-question-6
    According to https://travelsim.com/faq/#faq-question-0 the country code of the SIM is +372, which is Estonian. I had a look into getting a Turkish SIM earlier, and looks like it's not really feasible. From https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-turkey/:
    Note that all foreign phones will stop working 120 days after they are first used in Turkey, unless you visit a tax office and pay a significant fee to register them. This won’t affect the vast majority of short-term visitors, but is something to bear in mind if you plan to return with the same device in the future.

It’s technically the IMEI that gets blocked, which is allocated per SIM card slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You can always change Revolut to one of the many other currency cards available and getting a Turkish SIM card isn’t a bad idea as this could also be triggering the cancellations

https://travelsim.com/country/turkey/

https://travelsim.com/shipping/#faq-question-6

the downside of currency fluctuation aside..
    suppose anyone ones guess whether they are after such currency cards or just after all non domestic cards...

I was onto them via chat last night for over an hour and all they'd tell me was my account was cancelled due to suspicious activity. Wouldn't or couldn't tell him what the suspicious activity was so asked how do they expect me to renew membership if I don’t know what the problem was or how to prevent it in future. All they kept telling me was to renew with a different credit card so not sure if Revolut is the red flag. Asked how they can cancel my account mid subscription and they advised a refund has been processed but took a while to confirm that refund would be for full monthly sub of TRY41.98 and that it could take up to 30 days to receive it. Still no email from Netflix to state account has been cancelled or refund pending which is pretty poor.

Later tried renewing my account via TOR but when I entered my Revolut details it gave an error stating there was a problem with the payment (never even got to the section requiring mobile confirmation). Created a virtual card and tried that but same error so reluctantly tried an AIB credit card but same issue.
    Mrdata, has payment been taken in TRY from your debit card and account now active. What sort of bank charges was applied for the payment do you know?

To update. I was with Netflix Turkey for past couple of months on premium package paying TRY 42/m but having cancelled my account the other night I today received a refund for TRY 84. Surprised both months were refunded as they only cancelled my account mid way through the second billing period.

Having failed the other night to renew my account via TOR with an AIB credit card I tried again this evening and surprisingly it worked this time round. Opted for standard package at TRY 30/m (got premium for first month at no additional cost). AIB charged an extortionate FX rate of 6.13496 so payment came to €4.89 (same payment on Revolut would have been €4.785) but still better than the Rip Of Republic price of €11.99 for same thing which I wouldn't have paid.

Will be interesting to see if they cancel my account in future since all I did was as told and renewed with a different credit card. Perhaps they're only closing accounts set up with Revolut for now.

• Advertisement

No update. I was with Netflix Turkey for past couple of months on premium package paying TRY 42/m but having cancelled my account the other night I today received a refund for TRY 84. Surprised both months were refunded as they only cancelled my account mid way through the second billing period.

Having failed the other night to renew my account via TOR with an AIB credit card I tried again this evening and surprisingly it worked this time round. Opted for standard package at TRY 30/m (got premium for first month at no additional cost). AIB charged an extortionate FX rate of 6.13496 so payment came to €4.89 (same payment on Revolut would have been €4.785) but still better than the Rip Of Republic price of €11.99 for same thing which I wouldn't have paid.

Will be interesting to see if they cancel my account in future since all I did was as told and renewed with a different credit card. Perhaps they're only closing accounts set up with Revolut for now.

I initially had tried with my Permanent TSB Credit card and it wouldn’t accept it using the TOR method. Must give it a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No update. I was with Netflix Turkey for past couple of months on premium package paying TRY 42/m but having cancelled my account the other night I today received a refund for TRY 84. Surprised both months were refunded as they only cancelled my account mid way through the second billing period.

Don't know if it matters or not, but going to ask anyway.
    What is your revolut card, is it MasterCard or Visa?

I did have MasterCard for a year and a bit, but recently upgraded the account to a premium one, and they sent me a new card too, which was visa.

Asking for the pig iron, but one would assume there's actually legit revolut account holders who also own property in Turkey, and reside there for ex amount of months per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My Revolut is mastercard and is still working although only signed up a week ago. Does in help that I have a Turkish Lira balance?

Don't know if it matters or not, but going to ask anyway.
    What is your revolut card, is it MasterCard or Visa?

Mine is Visa, same as my AIB card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

digitaldr wrote: »
    My Revolut is mastercard and is still working although only signed up a week ago. Does in help that I have a Turkish Lira balance?

That wouldn't make a difference. Netflix just request the payment in Lira. They don't know anything about your balances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I had my Turkish account suspended today. I only signed up less than a month ago. I can't even sign in using Tor to try and renew. Would the best way forward be to sign up using a different email or would the same thing happen eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

I had my Turkish account suspended today. I only signed up less than a month ago. I can't even sign in using Tor to try and renew. Would the best way forward be to sign up using a different email or would the same thing happen eventually?

I see lots of people on hukd getting accounts suspended or cancelled. Also, having to verify account when text to Turkish mobile. Fingers crossed xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wonder will it follow to other countries when they are finished with Turkey?
    I'm meeting up with someone who works for Netflix in another country over the weekend, might ask them what's going on.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Not quite sure where people are having issues, I’ve set up loads of people on this, all using Speedify VPN app and an iPhone and I’ve had no issues with phone number request or a Revolut or Irish CC. Out of curiosity there now, I just set up another account from scratch and it accepted a virtual Revolut card and never asked for a phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Renewed via argentina for 5.97e this month for the top HD and 4 screens

Advertisement