Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

aloyisious wrote: »
    The 2020 election will probably be over before the returns see the light of day in a court which allows them into evidence unfortunately.

So he'll lose the election first and then die in jail, sounds OK to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Trump will never see the inside of a prison....

Unless he is visiting one of his children....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Perhaps it was an oversight. Note, however, that once the paper noticed the 'oversight', it corrected the record. Now there''s a thought! When you make a mistake, or publish incorrect information, don't double down.... make a correction ... if everyone did that, we'd all be able to place greater trust in what we are being told. ..

Not trying to rub this in your face, but more details emerge about the omission. If there was any proof needed that the times has a political investment in their reporting there you have it.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/kavanaugh-book-co-authors-say-nyt-editors-cut-key-detail-about-alleged-victim-not-remembering-the-assault/

"The co-authors of a new book about Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh said that the New York Times Review essay based on their book originally included a key detail about a previously unknown, alleged sexual assault victim of Kavanaugh’s — that the woman tells friends she does not remember the incident — but that it was subsequently removed by the Times during the final editing process."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

From a political-history/legacy POV, if I was Don I'd pull a rabbit out of the hat trick close to Sept 2020 and retire from office, with a back-office deal done on whom his successor will be and a codicil of a presidential pardon attached against any and all federal law charges brought against him. He'd probably be thinking "one last hurrah that'll sicken the Dems and the media".

It wouldn't matter much to him [maybe] who the successor is, just that the codicil is honoured. He could step away with his place in history assured [from his POV] regardless to what pops up. He will tweet "FAKE NEWS" anyway if it displeases him. The other senior Republicans would probably prefer some-one other than Mike Pence in the Oval Office. Given their personal baggage and what's happened in Washington over the past 3 years, the notion of a born-again [former catholic] Christian in the office accessing the "files" & calling the shots might be a step-too far when it comes to candidature, they might choose from within their own cabal for positions 1 & 2. After all, they gave Don the floor in the first place and have learned the lesson it gave them [probably-maybe].

Personally speaking, I have no problem with a tax evader doing a good spell in prison, single-occupancy or cell-block cell, with no prerogatives outside those given to the other inmates. The Gym might do him some good, swinging weights instead of a gold club [double pun].

I feel like this is worth posting also on the topic of Kavanaugh. This is the chief legal correspondent for CBS news.

https://twitter.com/JanCBS/status/1173781504767483905

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

aloyisious wrote: »
    From a political-history/legacy POV, if I was Don I'd pull a rabbit out of the hat trick close to Sept 2020 and retire from office, with a back-office deal done on whom his successor will be and a codicil of a presidential pardon attached against any and all federal law charges brought against him.

The President doesn't have the power to pardon state-level crimes, and the subpoena for his tax records is from the Manhattan DA in New York State, not a Federal prosecutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is it coincidence that a few days after war hawk Bolton is removed there is the attack on Saudi oil refineries?

Surprised no one has mention Israel yet.

Removing Bolton is the first right thing Trump has done.

peddlelies wrote: »
    I feel like this is worth posting also on the topic of Kavanaugh. This is the chief legal correspondent for CBS news.

Sure, you're re- posting stuff that was reported on extensively almost a year ago. Leyland Keyser said then that she had no memory of the party. At that time, she also said that while she had no memory of it, she believed Ford. So she's now saying she still doesn't remember the party and now she doesn't believe Ford. All this was supposed to have been investigated by the FBI and if it had been investigated properly, this re-litigation would be unnecessary. Either way, given that she has no memory of the party, whether she believes Ford or not was not particularly relevant last October, and is not particularly relevant now.

What is relevant however, is if someone 'pressured' her to change her recollection. The person being accused of that has denied doing so, again almost a year ago.

The original article is behind WSJ's paywall, but you can see the thrust of this so-called "bombshell" referred to in your post was dated 5th October, 2018.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/friend-of-dr-ford-felt-pressure-to-revisit-statement-1538715152

I can't find another source that is not behind a paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

peddlelies wrote: »

You know what would help here? An actual investigation. I fail to understand why Trump supporters are so much against any sort of investigation into "their" people. An investigation can prove that someone is guilty, but it can prove that someone's innocent, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sure, you're re- posting stuff that was reported on extensively almost a year ago. Leyland Keyser said then that she had no memory of the party. At that time, she also said that while she had no memory of it, she believed Ford. So she's now saying she still doesn't remember the party and now she doesn't believe Ford. All this was supposed to have been investigated by the FBI and if it had been investigated properly, this re-litigation would be unnecessary. Either way, given that she has no memory of the party, whether she believes Ford or not was not particularly relevant last October, and is not particularly relevant now.

What is relevant however, is if someone 'pressured' her to change her recollection. The person being accused of that has denied doing so, again almost a year ago.

The original article is behind WSJ's paywall, but you can see the thrust of this so-called "bombshell" referred to in your post was dated 5th October, 2018.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/friend-of-dr-ford-felt-pressure-to-revisit-statement-1538715152

I can't find another source that is not behind a paywall
    You know what would help here? An actual investigation. I fail to understand why Trump supporters are so much against any sort of investigation into "their" people. An investigation can prove that someone is guilty, but it can prove that someone's innocent, too.

Precisely.

A spokesperson for Kavanaugh could simply state "we consented to and cooperated with a full and proper investigation by the relevant intelligence and law enforcement officers, who concluded that I was innocent of all charges. Justice Kavanaugh will have nothing further to say on the matter" and its done!

Until then, there will always be a cloud over his tenure and it was completely foreseeable and avoidable.

• Advertisement

Just a reminder that the current United States President is requesting that the Democrats investigate Obama...

for a ***ing book deal!

How any supporter can look themselves in the mirror is a complete mystery.

Just.... Wow.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1173552939019001857?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

everlast75 wrote: »
    "Those investigations would be over FAST!"

He's not wrong there. Those investigations would be over fast, because in the majority of the cases there's hardly anything to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe I've missed where Corey Lewandoski agreed to testify before congress but he is doing so right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe I've missed where Corey Lewandoski agreed to testify before congress but he is doing so right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The NYT Kavanaugh piece is currently on the front page of CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/media/new-york-times-kavanaugh/index.html
    New York Times' botched Kavanaugh story the latest in series of blunders from Opinion section

Not that I expect the various folks on my FB feed to retract their insistence on an impeachment of Kavanaugh on the basis of the article.

Photos of remnants claimed to be taken from the Saudi fields visibly match the Quds 1 cruise missile from Iran. Obviously mere wreckage does not indicate source of launch, only the origin of the weapon system.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Indeed he is.

I'm hoping the dem counsel shows what a ridiculous sh1tshow his view (and that of trump) is re the Mueller findings

Sure, you're re- posting stuff that was reported on extensively almost a year ago. [/url]

It's relevant in the sense of Kavanaugh's and Ford's character. It's the first time Keyser has spoken publicly on the matter. Who picked it up in the mainstream media back then? It's only now CBS are reporting it because the comments were made on the record.

All 4 people who Ford has claimed to be at the party with her have denied any knowledge of such a party, and Fords self proclaimed best friend from back then, Keyser, has pretty much called her a liar outright. Not only that, Keyser was pressured by Ford and her allies to either back up the accusation or else be hit with a smear campaign.

Why should we treat the secondhand rumor of a Max Stier accusation where the alleged victim has no recollection of such an incident as a bigger story than Leland Keyser on the record saying she was intimidated into lying for the Ford scheme. There should be serious punishment for lying in such situations, and I'll just say it outright, I think Ford was not telling the truth, and the facts back up that estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Indeed he is.

I'm hoping the dem counsel shows what a ridiculous sh1tshow his view (and that of trump) is re the Mueller findings

He is refusing to answer anything.

He is refusing to answer anything.

https://twitter.com/CLewandowski_/status/1173921259333332992?s=19

What did we expect, when he preemptively tweeted this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Photos of remnants claimed to be taken from the Saudi fields visibly match the Quds 1 cruise missile from Iran. Obviously mere wreckage does not indicate source of launch, only the origin of the weapon system.

If it did, then the US would be up on the mother of all war crimes charges.

I'm sure an examination of the body of any dead Yemani child would reveal many pieces of "Proudly Made In USA"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sure, you're re- posting stuff that was reported on extensively almost a year ago.

Maybe in future actually read the tweet that's posted before jumping down someone's throat accusing them of posting year-old information.

It was never reported before that Ford’s allies had threatened Leland with a smear campaign let alone some of the other information (which is also in this new book) that further corroborates her story:

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

Maybe in future actually read the tweet that's posted before jumping down someone's throat accusing them of posting year-old information.

It was never reported before that Ford’s allies had threatened Leland with a smear campaign let alone some of the other information (which is also in this new book) that further corroborates her story:

Here is an article about how she felt pressured into it from last October: https://www.wsj.com/articles/friend-of-dr-ford-felt-pressure-to-revisit-statement-1538715152

Now, can I get your opinion on the Republicans cancelling their primaries or are you going to just continue ignoring it like you have been when challenged for repeatedly pretending Nazis are not Nazis?

In fairness, I don't think someone who has no clue what sexual assault is should have too much of an opinion on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

https://twitter.com/CLewandowski_/status/1173921259333332992?s=19

What did we expect, when he preemptively tweeted this nonsense

I'm really struggling to understand what that hearing achieved today, other than perhaps loud guffaws in the White House and among the Base... and that's down to Nadler and the Majority. Maybe I'm simply not seeing some awesome 5-dimensional chess game that was being played... However, to my unsophisticated eye, it looked quite farcical and Lewandowski greatly enhanced his standing as 'an enforcer' for Trump, which may help him greatly in a putative Senate bid. Social Media launches suggest that he may actually have launched his Senate election website while on a Bathroom Break from the Committee!!!

Yeah, Drain the Swamp!!! FFS!!! How long are these Sociopathic Narcissists going to get away with this crap!!?

As a Congressional hearing. and the 1st hearing that used the I-word, I was left wondering WTF!!

EDIT: it seems that I missed a number of exchanges later in the day, one of which forced Lewandowski into admitting that he had lied (with no legal.periil) to Ari Melber and has been trying to ingratiate himself with Trump as laid out in his own book. So, perhaps, there was some chess going on, and hopefully Lewandowski (who.came across as a Goombah all day) will at least have been Castled and hopefully Checked...

Perhaps I don't understand the Military strategy involved, but to my eye, that tinder-box appears to have reached a critical mass that is heading for a massive conflict in the Region...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Racist obviously .
    Remember that guy he called 'My African American' that Trump supporters loved wheeling out as some kind of "see? Not a racist!" proof? Yeah, well, he had a change of heart recently:

Man Trump labeled "my African American" quits GOP: "Their only concern is for whites"
    Cheadle, a longtime Republican, laughed at the time and said he later voted for Trump. But last Thursday told PBS News that he was quitting the party over the president’s racist rhetoric and the lack of diversity in his administration. Cheadle told the outlet that the Republican Party was pushing a “pro-white” agenda while using black supporters like him as “political pawns.”

Looking back at the moment in Redding, Cheadle said he’s “more critical of it today than I was back then because today I wonder to what extent he said that for political gain or for attention.”

Cheadle listed a number of reasons he quit the party, citing the party’s defense of Trump's racist tweets aimed at "the Squad," Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland and the entire city of Baltimore as the final straw.

“I said, ‘Enough is enough. I’m sick of it,’" Cheadle told The Washington Post, adding that Trump had a “white superiority complex.”

“I just hope this is a wake-up call for the GOP,” he told the outlet. “The GOP is going to be in the Smithsonian the way they’re going. Their only concern is for whites. They don’t care about the poor. They don’t care about anybody else."

Cheadle said he could no longer take it after Republicans defended Trump when he told members of Congress to “go back” to where they came from and called the city of Baltimore “disgusting” and “rodent-infested.”

“Very few Republicans spoke out, and that’s part of the problem,” Cheadle told the Post. “I just found myself in amazement with the GOP just remaining silent when this was just so wrong. These things are wrong. I’m tired of blacks being denigrated and disrespected. I’m sick of it. And the GOP has done an excellent job of fueling my disgust by the way they have been treating us.”

“When you look at his appointments for the bench: White, white, white, white white, white, white,” Cheadle said. “That to me is really damning to everybody else because no one else gets a chance because he’s thinking that the whites are superior, period.”

Trump’s approval rating among African American voters is at 10 percent, according to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll. Eighty percent of black voters say Trump is racist, according to a recent Quinnipiac University survey.

Cheadle told PBS he had originally hoped Trump would tackle the racial disparities in health care and wealth inequality, but his optimism was soon extinguished. More than Trump's policies, he said, he was pushed away by the president’s attacks on NFL players protesting racial inequality, his “****hole countries” dig at Africa, and his feuds with black celebrities.

That whole 'the squad' kerfuffle where Trump told black American born citizens and elected representatives to "go back to their home countries" that his supporters were so proud of and adamant was some kind of masterstroke and not at all racist... it's not really aged well, has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Milosmith

President Trump just tweeted that he's "no longer Locked and Loaded"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Perhaps I don't understand the Military strategy involved, but to my eye, that tinder-box appears to have reached a critical mass that is heading for a massive conflict in the Region...

I have no idea what is in it for Iran either. The Yemenis are the obvious folks with a stake in it. Of course, just because you or I can't see a rationale doesn't mean that there is not one.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what is in it for Iran either. The Yemenis are the obvious folks with a stake in it. Of course, just because you or I can't see a rationale doesn't mean that there is not one.
    I get that in the context of the Houthis having launched everything from their enclaves, perhaps using hardware acquired from others including the Iranians.. But the currently disseminated P.R. (from KSA and USA) is selling a scenario that the Houthis had absolutely no capability to launch from Sanaa and land so successfully on the target (s) so deeply in K.S.A. The alternative views are saying that the the only likely source of the attack was Iran, and they're using angles of attack and explosion, together with their photos of wasted munitions to buttress their case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement