Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benny Hill. Pervert or Genius?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Guilty of perverting the course of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

The objectification of women is alive and well in rap culture, but the #metoo brigade is silent about that for fear of seeming racist.

Jay Z was right when he mentioned the 99 problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A sweaty dude with a stupid grin on his face running after a load of women with huge norks? What’s not to like?

'Cept it was always the women running after him, Johnny...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

'Cept it was always the women running after him, Johnny...

Like myself, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Like myself, so.
    You've always come across as a bit of a Benny, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

His programmes have probably dated badly but I can certainly remember getting a few laughs out of them at the age of 11 or 12. I don't buy the argument that they objectified women, Benny was usually the butt of the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You've always come across as a bit of a Benny, alright.

Sorry, I don’t get it. You’ll have to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pervert or Genius?

Neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ernie the Fastest Milkman in the West will always be a very good song indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sorry, I don’t get it. You’ll have to explain.

I had to Google it.
    When i was young kids used to say benny as another word for handicap/retard/spa.

Well... Per urban dictionary
    During the Falklands War, British troops noticed the similarities of many of the Falklands Islanders, to a Character from a British soap opera, ('Crossroads')

In this soap opera, Benny was a simple (mentally challenged) odd job man, known for wearing old knitted jumpers and a woolly bobble hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

OP, if you're concerned about being corrupted by Benny Hill, keep away from "Carry On," "Are you being Served" and "On The Buses."

And the classic 1969 film 'The Italian Job' where Benny played a 'BIG' woman obsessed computer expert that the gang employed to mess with the traffic light system in Turin.

His part in The Italian Job film is often forgotten, but the basic character traits lived on in much of his future 70s TV work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

antix80 wrote: »
    I had to Google it.
    When i was young kids used to say benny as another word for handicap/retard/spa.

Well... Per urban dictionary

nah, benny predates that. i remember it from primary school. and it wasnt a euphamism for handicap/retard/spa. It was a euphamism for homosexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Genius??? A few groin jokes and a bunch of women dancing around? Are you a Mrs Brown's Boys fan too?

It was the Mrs Brown's Boys of its day.
    Not particularly funny, but inexplicably popular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

De de de de de didddle de de de de didddle de de diddle diddle de.

de de de de de diddle de de de de diddle duuuuu de de de de de de de.

de de de de de diddle de de diddle diddle diddle de de

de de de de de diddle de de de de diddle de

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It was the Mrs Brown's Boys of its day.
    Not particularly funny, but inexplicably popular.

I guess we'd just have to disagree to agree on that comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

nah, benny predates that. i remember it from primary school. and it wasnt a euphamism for handicap/retard/spa. It was a euphamism for homosexual.

Can confirm. Was called a benny for most of 6th year in secondary school. Jesus H, just cos I wore GUYliner (not eyeliner). It didn't take much more than being a New Romantic/Depeche Mode fan back then... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ger Roe wrote: »
    OP, if you're concerned about being corrupted by Benny Hill, keep away from "Carry On," "Are you being Served" and "On The Buses."

And the classic 1969 film 'The Italian Job' where Benny played a 'BIG' woman obsessed computer expert that the gang employed to mess with the traffic light system in Turin.

His part in The Italian Job film is often forgotten, but the basic character traits lived on in much of his future 70s TV work.
    He is also in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and very hard to spot in Monty Python's Meaning of Life as he has heavey makeup and a dread wig on. He is they guy who had his organs removed while alive as he agreed to be an organ donor.

Modern TV won't hold up well either. The likes of Love Island are just thin excuses to show scantily clad people. Lots or gawker TV around and fake reality TV will be frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    He is also in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and very hard to spot in Monty Python's Meaning of Life as he has heavey makeup and a dread wig on. He is they guy who had his organs removed while alive as he agreed to be an organ donor.

Modern TV won't hold up well either. The likes of Love Island are just thin excuses to show scantily clad people. Lots or gawker TV around and fake reality TV will be frowned upon.

jeez i've seen that countless times and i never spotted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    De de de de de didddle de de de de didddle de de diddle diddle de.

de de de de de diddle de de de de diddle duuuuu de de de de de de de.

de de de de de diddle de de diddle diddle diddle de de

de de de de de diddle de de de de diddle de

A.k.a. "Yakety Sax", by Boots Randolph. :cool:

Personally, I think Benny Hill was a bit of harmless fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

All the women running around were innocent victims

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is a pity the way women were bullied by other women to stop chasing fat men around in their underwear for money. What was the problem?

I would quite happily chase a few fat birds around a field wearing womens' underwear for a laugh, all you ever have to do is ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

All the women running around were innocent victims

After what Eve did it's small change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

None of those things have aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

I think this is much funnier - Benny Elton show

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0jm8zlLdk7w

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is a pity the way women were bullied by other women to stop chasing fat men around in their underwear for money. What was the problem?

I would quite happily chase a few fat birds around a field wearing womens' underwear for a laugh, all you ever have to do is ask.

Count me in, sounds like the craic. They used to call me a benny in school anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Just going to leave this here and say Benny Hills not dead

Screenshot_20190917-163853.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You will find you are wrong there. He was known to have relationships with women. He was certainly a little odd and former dancers on the show have said they had sexual relationships with him although it sounded a bit strange. More like certain dancers pleasured him and it was never mentioned outside of his flat.

Wrong? I'm open to being wrong. But you good man are not certainly right either.
    Rumors about his sexuality came about. Which he laughed off. He led an unusual lifestyle people said tho.

Fact is the only man who could ever tell you whats what is him and he is not with us. So many others who knew him simply say they never really knew the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I thought he was hilarious when I was about seven or eight years old. His comedy wouldn't do anything for me now but it's harmless enough.

Ernie is still a great song though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Even the youngsters today love Benny Hill

Advertisement