Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benny Hill. Pervert or Genius?

Options
  • 17-09-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Thanks. Didn't even watch the video and now I have that stupid chasing tune in my head... Christ.

Will have to try and hum some ABBA or something to try and recover.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why can't it be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Genius pervert.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Comedy pre-woke era was gold.
    Growing up I though he was brilliant.
    It's fairly lame now but at the time it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's the thing about Benny Hill he never married or ever had kids. He lived in his mothers house for years. He was never known to be romantically involved with anyone.

His era was the 60s and 70s when being gay was a taboo. So... i'm leaning towards the fact that Benny was gay and given the nature of his comedy that makes him a genius. He knew what people found funny and used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't think it was very funny, even as a child I can remember thinking that it was a bit stupid. So I say neither pervert or genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

is this another case of trying to put todays ethics on yestedays fun?

Stop it FFS. It was of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A sweaty dude with a stupid grin on his face running after a load of women with huge norks? What’s not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

If Benny was a pervert then I reckon I am too. Lots of the comedy in the 60s/70s was in the same vein, Dick Emery, the Carry Ons, Terry Scott etc. It was all about boobs and frilly knickers in a society still emerging from the gloom of WW2 and 50s austerity. Don't make it what it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I know someone who often makes Benny Hill facial expressions. How can one possibly tell another person straight out that this is the furthest thing from sexy one could possibly do. I cant. But for anyone else anonymously reading who imagines tongue waggling or that kind of business is in any way hot, please know now - It is NOT!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

A sweaty dude with a stupid grin on his face running after a load of women with huge norks? What’s not to like?

Who even says norks? Never heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thanks. Didn't even watch the video and now I have that stupid chasing tune in my head... Christ.

Will have to try and hum some ABBA or something to try and recover.

I know a song that'll get on your nerves...

Get on your nerves.....

Get on your nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Here's the thing about Benny Hill he never married or ever had kids. He lived in his mothers house for years. He was never known to be romantically involved with anyone.

His era was the 60s and 70s when being gay was a taboo. So... i'm leaning towards the fact that Benny was gay and given the nature of his comedy that makes him a genius. He knew what people found funny and used it.

That sounds similar to jimmy saville.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That sounds similar to jimmy saville.

Are you comparing homosexuality to pedophilia?

So basically what you're saying is gay people are all pedophiles and should be locked up.

Sorry just in a trolling mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

It was harmless fun of its day.

Would it be acceptable now if it was a new concept? No, as the #metoo brigade and the perpetually offended would not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

antix80 wrote: »
    Are you comparing homosexuality to pedophilia?

So basically what you're saying is gay people are all pedophiles and should be locked up.

Sorry just in a trolling mood.

all im saying is they shouldnt be allowed near animals:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

both

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He gave the wee Belfast man a hard time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Genius??? A few groin jokes and a bunch of women dancing around? Are you a Mrs Brown's Boys fan too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Boring boring Benny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Albert Einstein
    Thomas Edison
    Leonardo da Vinci

I would class the above as geniuses.

Benny Hill...not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You will find you are wrong there. He was known to have relationships with women. He was certainly a little odd and former dancers on the show have said they had sexual relationships with him although it sounded a bit strange. More like certain dancers pleasured him and it was never mentioned outside of his flat.

He just appears to have been a very immature man. His comedy was actually very good at the start but towards the end it became all about the women. They upped the dancing scenes because of top of the pops use of raunchy dancing.

He nephews own the rights to the show and have refused to let it be shown on TV again as they find it sexist.

The thing is it was the guys who were always shown as fools so it is sexist from that view point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OP, if you're concerned about being corrupted by Benny Hill, keep away from "Carry On," "Are you being Served" and "On The Buses."

Albert Einstein
    Thomas Edison
    Leonardo da Vinci

I would class the above as geniuses.

Benny Hill...not so much.
    Edison not so much either. He appears to have stolen most of his ideas and only enhanced a few which people think he invented. Great PR guy though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Was a complete miser apparently, lived in squalor

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Was a complete miser apparently, lived in squalor
    It wasn't squalor but he did live frugally. He owned two large high end London flats from Georgian times but only used 2 rooms even though they were joined. He would be sent rather large cheques and would put them behind a clock on the mantal. When the amount of cheques couldn't be held by the clock he would bring them to the bank. He was very very wealthy and did spend his money just not very house proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Who got all his money then when he passed on didn't he have a song in the charts as well?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Who got all his money then when he passed on didn't he have a song in the charts as well?
    His nephews. His close friend produced a "will" that he claimed Benny wrote and was about to get finalised. He had been promising people for years he would give them money in his will but never wrote one. The "will" was very suspect but he apparently never met his nephews either.
    His body was dug up because people thought he was buried with a lot of gold jewelry he wore.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Unrelated but a very unusual relationship with money. Basically very rich (I think he has success in the US) but didn't ever spend much of it. Bought cheap at the shop, I'm petty sure he rented that apartment, frugal to the last. When they found him after he passed (I think he died in armchair at home) there was loads of cash/uncashed cheques laying around.

Each to their own and all but what's the point of the money if you're not going to enjoy at bit of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

TheShow wrote: »
    Would it be acceptable now if it was a new concept? No, as the #metoo brigade and the perpetually offended would not be happy.

The objectification of women is alive and well in rap culture, but the #metoo brigade is silent about that for fear of seeming racist.

Advertisement