Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Fury - Watch out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

In before Berties Horse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Did you actually read the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

dennyire wrote: »
    In before Berties Horse
    He's thumbing through a thesaurus frantically and rooting around for his wallet so he can utilise another ten dollar word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Did you actually read the article?

Just because someone is angry does not make them right...learning life skills like coping with injustice or grievances is part and parcel of growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

One of the main points of the article is that you should be assertive and use anger in a positive way instead of bottling it up or getting depressed. I don't know what you are talking about that tantrums should be tolerated? Did you read the article or just the title.

I think the following is useful advise for both men and women, from the article.

Dr Malie Coyne outlines some techniques for how you can make your anger work:

⬤ Cut the shame: The first step to addressing anger in a more positive way is being aware first of all that anger is a normal and should not induce shame.

⬤ Let your feelings guide you: Try to work out what your anger is telling you. It might be that you want to be paid better in your job, or you want things to be different in your relationship. Try to ask yourself 'what is the message behind my anger?'

⬤ Take a step back: Figure out what that message is and how you are going to problem solve it. Anger comes from a different part of the brain than the problem solving part; it comes from the amygdala. So we have to try and move ourselves out of that into the reasoning, problem-solving part of the brain.

⬤ Stand up for yourself: Express yourself firmly and confidently, using assertive body language, trying not to be too dramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just because someone is angry does not make them right...learning life skills like coping with injustice or grievances is part and parcel of growing up.

Great. Did you read the article?

One of the main points of the article is that you should be assertive and use anger in a positive way instead of bottling it up or getting depressed. I don't know what you are talking about that tantrums should be tolerated? Did you read the article or just the title.

I think the following is useful advise for both men and women, from the article.

Dr Malie Coyne outlines some techniques for how you can make your anger work:

⬤ Cut the shame: The first step to addressing anger in a more positive way is being aware first of all that anger is a normal and should not induce shame.

⬤ Let your feelings guide you: Try to work out what your anger is telling you. It might be that you want to be paid better in your job, or you want things to be different in your relationship. Try to ask yourself 'what is the message behind my anger?'

⬤ Take a step back: Figure out what that message is and how you are going to problem solve it. Anger comes from a different part of the brain than the problem solving part; it comes from the amygdala. So we have to try and move ourselves out of that into the reasoning, problem-solving part of the brain.

⬤ Stand up for yourself: Express yourself firmly and confidently, using assertive body language, trying not to be too dramatic.

Ya...can't argue with any of that...but it has got nothing to do with "gender inequality"...nothing what so ever, or husbands who aren't supportive or being valued in the workplace...

Most people learn the lessons above in childhood, life is a bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Chicks can get a bit angsty and shouty if under too much pressure. Dudes tend to either sulk or kill each other.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Great. Did you read the article?

Did you...

"So what is behind this tidal wave of rage? According to clinical psychologist Dr Malie Coyne, studies suggest there are some common routes to anger for women, most notably feelings of powerlessness or injustice.

Gender inequality in society, the workplace and the home, play a huge part"

"Women are paid less, they aren't as valued in the workplace, when they hit glass ceilings it's very hard for them to earn more than that. In many ways it's still a men's world," says Mike Fisher.

For many women, this imbalance continues into the domestic sphere. "When a woman is working and she comes home from work, she feels she has to do so much more than the man does. When it comes to child-rearing, once again, women are far are more responsible than men. That creates a lot of tension and conflict. A lot of women don't feel listened to, they don't feel valued, they don't feel appreciated, they don't feel supported. And then of course they become resentful, they act out their anger."

It's always someone else's fault, if a person keeps blaming everyone else around them, maybe they should look at themselves.

Glass ceilings, pay gaps, unpaid domestic labour is all fantasy...clean the exact same amount as your husband does, work the same hours your husband does in the same job and you'll be paid the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    He's thumbing through a thesaurus frantically and rooting around for his wallet so he can utilise another ten dollar word.

some wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Did you...

"So what is behind this tidal wave of rage? According to clinical psychologist Dr Malie Coyne, studies suggest there are some common routes to anger for women, most notably feelings of powerlessness or injustice.

Gender inequality in society, the workplace and the home, play a huge part"

"Women are paid less, they aren't as valued in the workplace, when they hit glass ceilings it's very hard for them to earn more than that. In many ways it's still a men's world," says Mike Fisher.

For many women, this imbalance continues into the domestic sphere. "When a woman is working and she comes home from work, she feels she has to do so much more than the man does. When it comes to child-rearing, once again, women are far are more responsible than men. That creates a lot of tension and conflict. A lot of women don't feel listened to, they don't feel valued, they don't feel appreciated, they don't feel supported. And then of course they become resentful, they act out their anger."

It's always someone else's fault, if a person keeps blaming everyone else around them, maybe they should look at themselves.

Glass ceilings, pay gaps, unpaid domestic labour is all fantasy...clean the exact same amount as your husband does, work the same hours your husband does in the same job and you'll be paid the same amount.

The thing we need to remember is these articles are typically written by idiots with the IQ of a housefly.

The statement above in bold is a load of bollox - unsubstantiated crap backed up by nothing. Perhaps in the 50's and 60's this kind of behaviour was going on but not now and certainly not in any household I know of today. On the contrary, I'd say more men feel under valued and under appreciated.

Women need to stop blaming everyone else and take a long hard look at themselves. Gender pay gap is a nonsense - it simply doesn't exist. I have yet to see one study that would convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So, your solution to these angry women is to tell them in an even angrier tone that their issues are fantasy and to get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

dennyire wrote: »
    In before Berties Horse
    Woke Hogan wrote: »

Do not post to try and antagonise other users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I thought this may be about a female relative of Tyson Fury.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    So, your solution to these angry women is to tell them in an even angrier tone that their issues are fantasy and to get over it?

I don't know what the solution is and, to be brutally honest, its not my job to find one.

But feeding these ridiculous notions of unfairness with lies and falsifications is not the answer. And taking it out on men isn't the answer either.

If the gender pay gap was real and woman really do get paid 78 cent to the euro versus men (which is illegal by the way) then why wouldn't companies just hire women? You'd save a fortune.

It's a nonsense which has been debunked time and time again (and ignored time and time again) by facts. Not feelings.

It's actually a very serious issue, so pardon my tone.

There is no one solution, but stop blaming men or the "patriarchy" would be a healthy start.

We live in an age where women enjoy huge advantages over men, from education, health, justice, government spend, quotas, you'd imagine women would be as content as they have ever been...go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

camille paglia's spiel on this is something like;

men and women used to have their own "domains" over which they had control - basically inside and outside the home.

then women fought to join the men down the mines.

conditions down the mines have changed very slightly to accommodate women but not enough to negate certain biological realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

The title is quite clickbaity but her point holds. Moat couples I know both have full time jobs but the women sorts the childcare, their clothes, remembering family presents and events. They handle far more of the mental load.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Women are angry lads and it all our fault....

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/do-you-suffer-from-female-fury-heres-how-to-make-it-work-for-you-38496980.html?fbclid=IwAR3_P7jtQapNyuD686hAh7FOtzjRz6lpyGLicxddnECYe6DBKTNwaN_Xwq0

Apparently we overdid the ould patriachal oppression and the girls don't like it...

What should we do with a child's temper tantrums, the article doesn't say...is it just women's tantrums we should encourage?

How can you be sure that only lads will read what you wrote?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Keyzer wrote: »
    I don't know what the solution is and, to be brutally honest, its not my job to find one.

But feeding these ridiculous notions of unfairness with lies and falsifications is not the answer. And taking it out on men isn't the answer either.

If the gender pay gap was real and woman really do get paid 78 cent to the euro versus men (which is illegal by the way) then why wouldn't companies just hire women? You'd save a fortune.

It's a nonsense which has been debunked time and time again (and ignored time and time again) by facts. Not feelings.

I don't have a solution either but from observing the various threads here on the topic it always seems to come down to men denying there's a problem at all or a tennis match of whataboutery. Maybe there should be an article on how to deal with other people's anger as well as how to deal with our own because shouting them down obviously doesn't help. There's obviously some sort of problem for it to keeping coming up.

• Advertisement

How can you be sure that only lads will read what you wrote?

It was tongue in cheek! Don't get your knickers in a twist!! (So was that)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

zapper55 wrote: »
    The title is quite clickbaity but her point holds. Moat couples I know both have full time jobs but the women sorts the childcare, their clothes, remembering family presents and events. They handle far more of the mental load.

And most couples I know also both have full time jobs. But guess what, the man generally takes responsibility for:
    • Organising banking/mortgage payments
    • Organising insurance policies on house/car(s)
    • Organizing and optimising utility bills
    • Maintenance/repairs of family car(s), home appliances etc
    • Physical work such as DIY, bins, gardening and so on
    • Sports fixtures with kids
    • etc

They handle far more of the financial/physical load...

And just one final point; having come through a recession and having seen several friends and family lose their homes, it's funny how nobody ever pointed at the female partner and blamed them for that. But the men, to a greater or lesser extent, certainly were.

Regardless of how much equality we desire to see in relationships, we as a society tend to collude in assigning roles to each side.

It was tongue in cheek! Don't get your knickers in a twist!! (So was that)

It's actually a very serious issue, so pardon my tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So the article is written (in Indo may I add and citing male psychologist). Then a thread on boards is started with hysterical overreaction about evil women blaming innocent men for everything.

How predictable.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So the article is written (in Indo may I add). Then a thread on boards is started with hysterical overreaction about evil women blaming innocent men for everything.

How predictable.

Perhaps hysterical is not quite the word to use.

hysterical (adj.)
    1610s, "characteristic of hysteria," the nervous disease originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus;

So the article is written (in Indo may I add and citing male psychologist). Then a thread on boards is started with hysterical overreaction about evil women blaming innocent men for everything.

How predictable.

Well...the article was about an epidemic of female rage, which blamed men for most of it...which I thought was a little hysterical, so I'm not sure but we might agree!!

Perhaps hysterical is not quite the word to use.

hysterical (adj.)
    1610s, "characteristic of hysteria," the nervous disease originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus;

It's perfectly adequate description. Some men here are behaving exactly like they would have a dysfunction of imaginary uterus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Rage Against The Washing Machine

Rage Against The Washing Machine

Well at least we discovered that dinosaurs aren't extinct yet.

• Advertisement

It's perfectly adequate description. Some men here are behaving exactly like they would have a dysfunction of imaginary uterus.

I don't see any hysterical reactions - just men who appear to be sick tired of being demonised and blamed for everything thats gone wrong for women, since the dawn of time.

As to the second part of your post, I have no idea what your talking about.

Advertisement