Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

• 29-08-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

I’ve hummed and hawwed for a while now about starting a running log. Finally decided to dip my toe into the water after reading the great on going threads and reports from my fellow 2018 DCM Novices. They all spoke of the value of keeping a log to track progress and to get invaluable help and support from more experienced Boardsies.

So Who am I and why am I here?!

Basically I’m the Bogeyman used my this year’s DCM mentors to keep their group of Novices in line! I shadowed last years Novice thread but stupidly never bought into the actual plan. “Slow down”, ha what kind of advice is that! Years of repeating GAA drills at match speed had me thinking that the only way of getting ready for a marathon was to do all my training runs at PMP to get game ready, big mistake. While I have since come to terms that my finish time of just under 3 54 was decent enough it doesn’t mask the disappointment of those last 6 miles where I was a physically spent, constantly cramping up empty shell!! As my alter ego might say “worst DCM Novice ever….”

As my username might suggest I’m a fan of all things Superhero! Since DCM 2018 a couple of lines from Batman Begins have resonated with me: Alfred- “took quiet a fall, didn’t we, Master Bruce?” Thomas Wayne- “And why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up”.

So this is my log of learning to pick myself up! As it stands I’m currently just over halfway through the P&D 18 week marathon plan (Thanks for the recommendation Dealerz2.0!!) as my preparation for DCM19. So far I have got all the runs in as planned with the exception of the very first weeks long run. All has gone to plan with the exception of a couple of long runs done too quick which I was rightly admonished for on Strava (takes a while for old dogs to learn new tricks!). Have to say I’m enjoying the regime of following a plan and understanding the reasoning behind each run.

I’m not one for creative writing but hopefully I’ll be able to look back on this at a future date and have a sense of progress and maybe even learn a bit. Will attempt to keep it updated once a week between now and DCM19!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall". - Batman (sorry I cant help myself :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Welcome to logs J! Longford report please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

.....and about time too!!!

Welcome to log central J! Let's see how many superhero-related quotes you can squeeze in between now and October........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah will ya look :) this will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great to see this log starting up J- fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Happy logging!

Cramping is a little bit different from hitting the wall due to being undertrained, and your marathon disaster last year might not simply be down to running too fast, but rather low electrolytes/sodium etc. I've never cramped, so I don't have personal experience to give you, but maybe take a look at AMK's log where he suffered from cramp in a few marathons despite being in excellent shape and training by the book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I ask that of all my prey....I just like the sound of it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I’ve hummed and hawwed for a while now about starting a running log. Finally decided to dip my toe into the water after reading the great on going threads and reports from my fellow 2018 DCM Novices. They all spoke of the value of keeping a log to track progress and to get invaluable help and support from more experienced Boardsies.

So Who am I and why am I here?!

Basically I’m the Bogeyman used my this year’s DCM mentors to keep their group of Novices in line! I shadowed last years Novice thread but stupidly never bought into the actual plan. “Slow down”, ha what kind of advice is that! Years of repeating GAA drills at match speed had me thinking that the only way of getting ready for a marathon was to do all my training runs at PMP to get game ready, big mistake. While I have since come to terms that my finish time of just under 3 54 was decent enough it doesn’t mask the disappointment of those last 6 miles where I was a physically spent, constantly cramping up empty shell!! As my alter ego might say “worst DCM Novice ever….”

As my username might suggest I’m a fan of all things Superhero! Since DCM 2018 a couple of lines from Batman Begins have resonated with me: Alfred- “took quiet a fall, didn’t we, Master Bruce?” Thomas Wayne- “And why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up”.

So this is my log of learning to pick myself up! As it stands I’m currently just over halfway through the P&D 18 week marathon plan (Thanks for the recommendation Dealerz2.0!!) as my preparation for DCM19. So far I have got all the runs in as planned with the exception of the very first weeks long run. All has gone to plan with the exception of a couple of long runs done too quick which I was rightly admonished for on Strava (takes a while for old dogs to learn new tricks!). Have to say I’m enjoying the regime of following a plan and understanding the reasoning behind each run.

I’m not one for creative writing but hopefully I’ll be able to look back on this at a future date and have a sense of progress and maybe even learn a bit. Will attempt to keep it updated once a week between now and DCM19!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall". - Batman (sorry I cant help myself :pac:)

Brilliant! Looking forward to following!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Welcome to logs J! Longford report please :)
    coogy wrote: »
    .....and about time too!!!

Welcome to log central J! Let's see how many superhero-related quotes you can squeeze in between now and October........:pac:
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Ah will ya look :) this will be good!
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Great to see this log starting up J- fair play
    Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Brilliant! Looking forward to following!

Thanks Guys. "Internet friends" twice over already so why not add one more forum!

Singer wrote: »
    Happy logging!

Cramping is a little bit different from hitting the wall due to being undertrained, and your marathon disaster last year might not simply be down to running too fast, but rather low electrolytes/sodium etc. I've never cramped, so I don't have personal experience to give you, but maybe take a look at AMK's log where he suffered from cramp in a few marathons despite being in excellent shape and training by the book.

Thanks B, Will give it a look!
    coogy wrote: »
    I ask that of all my prey....I just like the sound of it... ;)

Glad you used that follow up line K and not the Rhubarb one :pac:

• Advertisement

Where better to start but with my first race report- Longford Half Marathon 25/08/2019

It’s an early enough start to this one with both the Half and the Full Marathon starting together at 9am so I’m up just before 7 for my Weetabix and few pints of water. It took me ages to fall asleep the night before it with nervous energy. Of course I had no sooner fallen asleep than I got a random calf cramp, can’t remember the last time that happened to me but luckily there is no lasting feeling from it the next morning.
    I get parked up few minutes away from the start line so go for a brisk walk around and a few stretches and I’m ready to head to the starting area. My PB is 1.33.24 from last March. My goal today is to hopefully beat that but I know I don’t have the speed endurance to go sub 90 minutes. My plan is to go with the 90 minute pacer just to experience what running in such a group is like and to ease back when it starts to pinch. Far from a textbook strategy but it’s my plan of action!

A minute or 2 before the race is due to start and there are plenty of pace balloons around but no sign of the 1 30 version or even the 3 hr marathon one. The countdown starts and I then catch sight of both of them walking around the outside of the boundary fence to get up to the very top of the starting area, balls!
    Ok forget about it, I can catch up with him down the road. The starting horn goes and we are off to the theme of Chariots of Fire blaring from the speakers. I’m only about 20 metres back from the start line but its choc a block for the few couple of hundred metres, I look ahead and that bloody balloon already looks so far ahead. I spend about a minute carefully weaving around other runners before things begin to stretch out a bit. The balloon is still bobbing along down the road and going at a nice early speed; I lengthen my stride and finally manage to catch up with him shortly before we finish the first mile. It’s all beep beep beep around me from different watches and I look down to see I covered the first mile in 6.43. Oh oh it’s never a good idea to run the first mile of most distances as your fastest and I’ve just done it!

Miles 2 & 3
    We complete the initial loop of the town and are now heading west along the N5. Things have definitely quietened down already and I’m in a group of about 10 around the pacer. Just before the 2 mile marker and we split up from the full marathon runners and make out way the N63 inside a continuous line of cones. Beep Beep and it’s a 6.51 minute mile. The first water station of the day is just up the road, I’m on the outside so decide to give it a miss this early into the race but the guy beside me offers the remains of the bottle he lifted (Thanks man, it’s true not a all superheroes wear a cape!) Just before the 3 mile marker and we meet some of the Ultra marathon runners coming back into down having completed their first 13 miles, only 26 to go lads! The third mile comes in at 6.56
    and I’m still reasonably comfortable. At this point the pacer asks me are we ok on time; I think that might be your job mate!
    Miles 4 & 5
    These couple of miles are pretty quiet along a narrow non-descript back road that eventually links back up once again with the N5. The pacer is keeping it pretty consistent and the initial group is still pretty much in place although a couple of them have pushed further up the road (away with ye lads!). These couple of miles come up as 6.46 and
    Miles 6 & 7
    We are back heading west along the hard shoulder of the N5, I’ve down this section plenty of times in training so it feels like I’m running home now. Get a cup of water just before the Mile 5 marker but only a bare minimum ends up in my mouth, damn cups. The pace noticeably drops for Mile 6 although I’m still right on the heels of the pacer. Not sure why he drops it or even if he notices but any time I look down at the watch its saying 7.20 pace. I’m not bothered though and actually welcome a bit of respite. We are back in with the Full Marathon runners now so passing athletes and saying well done for this section on repeat. We pass Longford Town FC ground and that mile comes in at 7.12. The pacer obviously notices as the pace ups a touch. I’m still feeling ok so decide to stick with him. Coming up to our turnoff from the main road and Mrs Comic Book Guy passes in the car heading to town with the gang for the finish, nice to be able to give a wave and get a beep in reply! We make the turn for Newtownforbes and Mile 7 comes in at 7.02.

Miles 8 & 9

I’m in new territory now as although I’m only a few miles from home this is a road I’ve never run on before but I know from driving along it that there are a series of drags, short hills and declines to come from here on in. The pace is lifted a touch again and mile 8 comes in at 6.49. The pacer gives the shout of first drag of the day lads and it’s a dinger going on for about 250 metres. I put the head down shorten my stride and try to keep it consistent and end up getting to the top of it in front of the pacer but the first warning screams are starting in the legs and I’m still a long way from home. Manage to stick to the pacer and we go through mile 9 with a
    Miles 10-12

Another couple of short rises and declines but I’m starting to struggle now and I’m no longer focused on the pacer now but in keeping a consistent pace going. A couple of athletes around me take on gels and I would love one right now even for a placebo effect! I’m starting to fall out the back of the pacer group and there isn’t anyone close behind me to try to stick with so mentally things are really ratcheting up- Hello Darkness my old friend! With each small rise my legs are quickly emptying of energy and the first negative thoughts of walking are entering my head. All I’m hearing now is Darth Vader welcoming me to the Dark Side (walking) “You don’t know the power of the dark side.”
    I try to push those thoughts away but they keep coming over and over with each energy depleting step. I’m looking at my watch constantly now hoping that I have stepped into some kind of worm hole where each step I take is covering twice the normal distance. Ok time to get a grip here and focus on the training I have down. Good old Alfred Pennyworth- “What’s the point of all those push-ups if you can’t even lift a bloody log.” I manage to keep it consistent and am limiting my losses to my PB time. These miles eventually go through in 7.07, 7.30 & 7.25.
    Mile 13

I’m back at the outskirts of town now and the next 500 metres are a very welcome gentle descent. My legs somehow feel a bit fresher again and I’m able to lift the pace a bit. 2 more turns which I take with a perfect racing line to minimize the distance to the line and I’m finally onto the long finishing straight up towards Main Street. The watch beeps again with a 7.01 for this mile. Mrs. Comic Book Guy and the kids are at the barrier 100 metres before the line. Manage to give them a smile and a weary wave and eventually get over the line totally spent in a time of 1.31.55 for new PB!

I’m probably going to leave it there race wise until DCM19. I will do my local GAA clubs ¾ marathon in early October purely as an LSR and the plan has 3 tune up races that I will do by myself rather than looking around for a race to fit.

“Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn’t mean they can’t be saved.” Professor Charles Xavier

Thanks B, Will give it a look!

Glad you used that follow up line K and not the Rhubarb one :pac:

Haha, I spent the whole of the Summer of '89 quoting that movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Great race report J. Well done on the PB.

Great report J, super effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Enjoyed that report a lot, definitely gives more insight than Strava :)
    Great PB, I'd say sub90 will be achieved post DCM alright.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Enjoyed that report a lot, definitely gives more insight than Strava :)

My thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Nice report J and well raced. You've some engine to on you.

So you didn't take any gels for the entire half yeah?

Just curious, where those paces equivalent to what you were doing for your LT sessions, or where you giving it an extra lash as it was a HM race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Another couple of short rises and declines but I’m starting to struggle now and I’m no longer focused on the pacer now but in keeping a consistent pace going. A couple of athletes around me take on gels and I would love one right now even for a placebo effect! I’m starting to fall out the back of the pacer group and there isn’t anyone close behind me to try to stick with so mentally things are really ratcheting up- Hello Darkness my old friend! With each small rise my legs are quickly emptying of energy and the first negative thoughts of walking are entering my head. All I’m hearing now is Darth Vader welcoming me to the Dark Side (walking)

For a report that good, I can forgive you the Simon and Garfunkel earworm!

Sounds like a well-judged race. Congrats on the PB.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Nice report J and well raced. You've some engine to on you.

So you didn't take any gels for the entire half yeah?

Just curious, where those paces equivalent to what you were doing for your LT sessions, or where you giving it an extra lash as it was a HM race?

Tbh F I never felt the need to use a gel doing a half before (this was only my 4th so I have a lot of on the job learning to do!) and I wasn't last weekend until I seen a few others take them on at the same time and then I really wanted one!
    I was probably doing my LT pace too fast up to this and I'm going to adjust it back for next weeks run to my average pace doing the HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Tbh F I never felt the need to use a gel doing a half before (this was only my 4th so I have a lot of on the job learning to do!) and I wasn't last weekend until I seen a few others take them on at the same time and then I really wanted one!
    I was probably doing my LT pace too fast up to this and I'm going to adjust it back for next weeks run to my average pace doing the HM.

For a ~1:30 half you shouldn't need gels etc., though a cup of water usually goes down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Super report! Laughing at them playing Chariots of Fire at the start, gas :D Well done on the PB and you won't be long getting the sub 1:30 when you come back to the half after DCM.
    Welcome to the logs!

Mon 26th August
    Not strictly in the plan but I did a recovery 3 mile run at lunchtime just to stretch out the legs after the HM the previous day. Did it a shade under 10 min/mile and brought up 1000 miles for the year.

Tues 27th August
    A combination of my wife working early, having to get my car serviced and bringing kids to swimming lesson meant that it was a 9.30 pm start to this 8 miles at easy pace run. Half of the run was done on a back road which with just a small headlight for company was quiet eerie, maybe I'm not quiet The Dark Knight yet!! Finished it at an average pace of 9.05 min/mile, felt a bit sluggish early on but that eased out once I got warmed up.

Wed 28th August

Day off work for my daughter's birthday so did this 8 mile run before lunch (McDonald's :rolleyes:). It included 5 individual half mile intervals to be done at 5k pace. Was a bit apprehensive of this run but Dealerz2.0 enthusiasm for these sessions is always a nice encouragement before setting off. Took the first 2 miles very easy and then started into them with 90 second recoveries. Fair play to Dealerz2.0 cause that was actually really enjoyable although I was quiet happy there wasn't a 6th interval!

Thurs 29th August

A 5 mile recovery run done during lunch break at work. Only drama here was going through my change bag and finding that I had forgotten to pack my socks, bet ya Superman never forgets his cape!! options weren't great as I was wearing a Father's Day present pair of purple and pink novelty dinosaur socks, didn't think I could pull off that look with my luminous yellow Sauconys so took a gamble and went sockless! took the pace handy and no discomfort or blisters to report but definitely won't be doing that again!

Fri 30th August

8 miles at easy including 8 100 metre stride intervals. I usually do these stride intervals at a fast pace and today was no different. Still a bit scary to look at the pace finishing each one and see it is still a good bit slower than the elite lads do for a full marathon!!

Sun 1st September

Flew out to Costa Brava the previous morning complete with my running gear wrapped up. Left my runners in a plastic bag to stop the odour spreading through the suitcase. Left them on the porch of our cabin but come back later to find them covered in ants, I'll be having words with Scott Lang about this!
    Set off for a 14 mile LSR early Sunday morning taking careful note of each turn and road I take as I haven't a clue where I'm going. Change of scenery and weather is lovely and this is a really enjoyable run done at 8.45 min/mile. Also really nice to just jump into a swimming pool straight after finishing it up!!

Tuesday 3rd September

I know where I'm going this time so just repeat half of Sunday's route to do 7 easy miles with 6 individual 100 metre strides. So quiet out early in the morning over here, nice to be able to wear a singlet too!!

Wednesday 4th September

The last LT session of the plan, seems ages ago since the plan started with a 4 mile easy 4 mile on version of this session. Take the first couple of miles nice and easy and then push up the pace for the next 7 miles. These come in at 7.08, 7.01, 6.50, 6.46, 6.39, 6.51, and 6.47. Small bit of a head wind for first half explains the difference in pace. Enjoyed that one and seemed way easier than that first session of the plan!

Thursday 5th September

A 12 mile at easy pace run. I knew this was going to be tough on tired legs but first mile is one of those that leaves ya questioning your chances of finishing a marathon the following month! Luckily the legs soon ease out and it feels a lot better come the end of the second mile. Battery on my watch finally dies coming up to mile 11 after a brave battle beeping in discomfort from mile 4. Finish this session at an average of just under 9 min/mile.

Saturday 7th September

A handy 5 mile recovery run. I switch the route a bit out of boredom. Do a mile or so on the beach, not as nice as I thought it would be- a mix of concrete hard sand and then really soft stuff that ya sink down into with each step! Finish up small bit under 10 min/mile.

Sunday 8th September

The second 20 mile run of the plan. I did the first one way too fast so determined to do this one better! Slower pace suits me as I'm not going to be able to stash a bottle along the route and no shops around either to stop for water so bring a bottle with me. I really dislike having to carry bottles on runs like this and am glad to drop it under a tree at mile 7 to collect again on the return journey. This is a lovely run through apple orchards and the likes, only a couple of other runners/walkers out. Finish it up fresh as a daisy (albeit a sweaty one!) after doing it at an average pace of 9 min/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just spotted the log. Great race report.

That was a hell of a week to put in while you were away. Really nice.

Yep - jumping in the pool straight after a run is so good.

That was a hell of a week to put in while you were away. Really nice.

Yep - jumping in the pool straight after a run is so good.

Biggest mileage of the plan but it didn’t feel like it running in that weather A! I used to roll my eyes when I’d hear of county teams heading off for warm weather training but there is definitely something in it. Pity I don’t have a massive sponsorship contract behind me to do it more regularly!

Tuesday 10th September

First run after the hols and its a real welcome back to Ireland one! Wet miserable day isn't long taking care of the Spanish dust on my runners!
    8 miles including 5 600 metre intervals done at 5k pace.

Wednesday 11th September

12 miles at easy pace after work. Had only done this route once before during lunch break not realising the loop was so long and being very late back to work! Nice route that includes a nice 3 miles through a forest park with one nice continuous climb. Complete the run at a tad under average of 9 mins/mile.

Friday 13th September

5 mile recovery run with some strides. Quiet enough canter out at lunch time.

Saturday 14th September

10 mile run to include a 5 mile tune up race. I chose 5 miles as it was the minimum distance to do according to the plan! Was bit nervous about what the following days LSR would be like so said I would leave it a 5 miles this time and maybe look at increasing it in 2 weeks time for the next one.
    I always dislike these speed session first thing in the morning, always feel a bit sluggish starting out.
    Take the first 2 miles nice and easy and then straight into it. Happy enough to get through this pumping out 5 6.30 miles. Was starting to feel it no doubt at the end of the "race". Just to show how backwards I do things Strava tells me this session included a 5k sub 20 min PB cause I have never actually took part in a 5k or 10k race!!

Sunday 15th September

Bit nervous about this run and how the legs will respond as my recovery after yesterday's session was a full day in the garden taking care of weeds that had sprung up like wildfire over the last fortnight, to think some people look on this job as therapeutic :rolleyes:!
    Didn't get a chance to get into town yesterday to buy some gels but I'm not that bothered. Forgot to stash away a bottle of water at my usual hiding place though. Decide to head out without one as I really dislike having to hold a bottle over multiple miles. Anyway if the worst comes to the worse I know where there are some cattle drinking troughs!!
    Horrible dull drizzly morning but in for a penny, in for a pound!
    Do the first mile too quick which happens a lot with the nice decline along the main road from my house but settle it down afterwards. The 17 mile LSR passes without incident, I don't meet a single person out and about- well it is Sunday morning and weather is crap! Finish it up just under an average of 9 min/mile.

Another toughie week down, only 6 weeks to go!

Have you ever tried a running belt?

Have you ever tried a running belt?

Yeah I have a flip belt for the gels A but nothing for water.
    It was just poor planning on my part forgetting to leave the bottle up the road the evening before. TBH with the rain falling I never really felt thirsty the whole way around but yeah I know its not to be recommended!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yeah I have a flip belt for the gels A but nothing for water.
    It was just poor planning on my part forgetting to leave the bottle up the road the evening before. TBH with the rain falling I never really felt thirsty the whole way around but yeah I know its not to be recommended!!

I have a flip belt bottle that takes 300mls and comfortable enough in the belt. What I use more is a kind of soft squeezy bottle that shrinks as you drink out of it like this one https://www.theedge-sports.com/running-c1/running-accessories-c110/bottles-hydration-c112/ronhill-350ml-fuel-flask-p19878

I actually have a side pocket in my shorts that takes the squeezy bottle.

Advertisement