Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Yep - the culchies have to stick together!

Come late November a grads thread will pop up for you guys who are interested in progressing your running after DCM. There are plans included for all distances and I've found them great as a next step after my first marathon. But, that's all for down the road.

Sorry we are so great but i supose as a culchie you're well used to being runner up ;)

Oh that's good to hear, this suff kinda gets addictive:D

Week 11 Tues 3rd - 5m easy

Mile 1 - 9.41
    Mile 2 - 10.17
    Mile 3 - 10.38
    Mile 4 - 10.40
    Mile 5 - 10.20

Nice easy run to loosen the legs

Weds 4th - Easy miles with pmp
    Mile 1 - 9.30
    Mile 2 - 9.39
    Mile 3 - 10.01
    Mile 4 - 9.10
    Mile 5 - 8.55
    Mile 6 - 9.04
    Mile 7 - 9.38
    Mile 8 - 9.55
    Mile 9 - 9.43

Tried to keep the easy miles between 9.40 - 10 mins & concentrated on my pmp as close to 9mins as i could. Have found myself going faster for the pmp over the last couple of weeks so trying to keep it consistent to my current fitness!

Thurs 5th Sep - easy miles

Mile 1 - 9.53
    Mile 2 - 10.01
    Mile 3 - 9.58
    Mile 4 - 10.10
    Mile 5 - 9.58
    Mile 6 - 5 09 (strides)

Nice easy run this evening found myself spot on for the times! Weather was nice so back into my vest top! Running straight down the new road & just as i passed a bloke running a fella in a big cement truck decided to beep so i quickly said thats for you to the bloke running by & he couldn't help but laugh out loud! Love getting an aul beep :eek:
    Almost got to my house & remembered i had to do strides :D so i just turned on my heels & did my strides, really glad i remembered because i really enjoyed them!!

Now to rest tomorrow & prepare myself for my longest run EVER :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I remember getting beeps when out running, lol, they only ever happened when my younger, slimmer running buddy 965+8was with me! Wimmin, eh? Not happy when we're beeped, not happy when you're not beeped :P

Lainey - on another thing that you had mentioned before - something I had never really noticed until you pointed it out - there are indeed so many people that don't acknowledge you as you pass them by. Also a load who will go out of their way to convince themselves there is nobody else there on that narrow trail, even though you can smell their shampoo you're that close

Hahaha are we ever happy ;)
    Oh my god yes!!!! I sometimes feel like putting my arms out as if I'm gonna hug them just for a reaction...but unfortunately i'd prob be locked up somewhere for that kind of behaviour:D Seriously it costs absolutely nothing to smile/nod/thumbs up & actually makes both of you feel better :)
    Honestly sometimes i see people running towards me & they are concentrating on looking at the ground so much that I'm surprised the weight of their head doesn't make them topple forward(not gonna lie that would be hilarious) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

When I'm out running on a route where there are not many runners around, I'd always give the hello/nod/wave etc. But when I'm on a route and there's a lot of runners on that route, I don't tend to salute unless I recognise them.

At times it's like an internal struggle on deciding whether to salute or not. You do the salute and they don't - you feel stupid. They salute you but you didn't get the salute back in time - you feel bad. It's enough to make me stop going out for a run!!

• Advertisement

Treviso wrote: »
    When I'm out running on a route where there are not many runners around, I'd always give the hello/nod/wave etc. But when I'm on a route and there's a lot of runners on that route, I don't tend to salute unless I recognise them.

At times it's like an internal struggle on deciding whether to salute or not. You do the salute and they don't - you feel stupid. They salute you but you didn't get the salute back in time - you feel bad. It's enough to make me stop going out for a run!!

Haha the anxiety it causes!! In fairness it's just something i believe in general, running or not that it costs nothing to be nice but its only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things haha although i would defo rather be the person that smiled/saluted & got nothing back...but thats just me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Given the times and locations I run, everyone I encounter running is getting the auld nod :D

jackc101 wrote: »
    Given the times and locations I run, everyone I encounter running is getting the auld nod :D

God fair play to ye getting out so early :eek: i suppose its a case of having to!! But i think we have established from the ONE early run i did that its just not for me :D
    Keep up the auld nods so ;)

Sat 7th Sept - 20m lsr with a few pmp miles

Mile 1- 10.03
    Mile 2 -9.49
    Mile 3 - 9.53
    Mile 4 - 9.28
    Mile 5 - 9.42
    Mile 6 - 9.37
    Mile 7 - 9.40
    Mile 8 - 9.55
    Mile 9 - 10.15
    Mile 10 - 9.57
    Mile 11 - 9.45
    Mile 12 - 9.01
    Mile 13 - 8.51
    Mile 14 - 8.53
    Mile 15 - 9.37
    Mile 16 - 9.41
    Mile 17 - 9.01
    Mile 18 - 8.52
    Mile 19 - 8.44
    Mile 20 - 9.45

Got an early night as i hadn't been feeling great in work, dosed myself with paracetamol too. My poor grandson was also admitted to hospital so between everything i had a very restless night. Got up Saturday morning not really sure if i would be able to do the run but decided to prepare as normal & see how i felt!
    Gave it about 45mins after brekkie & water & actually felt good to go. Rang my daughter & she said the baby was dehydrated & getting tests so nothing i could do there, so off i went.
    I took a zero tab in my water bottle & 2 gels. 1st couple of miles were fine eased myself into my pace & felt good. Took a gel at 6 miles & then at 12 miles. I felt i pushed a bit too hard but generally was feeling fime right until the end of the run.
    Got home & did a couple of stretches & then i got so dizzy!! This lasted for almost an hour! I literally couldn't stand up at all. I knew i had pushed myself too hard & especially with me not feeling 100%. Tea, toast & chocolate helped lots :)

Sun 8th - very easy miles

Mile 1 - 10.53
    Mile 2 - 10.37
    Mile 4 - 10.52

Went out for very easy miles! Needed to recover from yesterday's disaster of a run :(

DCM wk 12
    Mon 9th - easy miles

Mile 1 - 10.19
    Mile 2 - 10.49
    Mile 3 - 10.15
    Mile 4 - 10.01

More easy miles, still not feeling great!

Tues 10th - easy miles with strides

Mile 1 - 10.05
    Mile 2 - 10.34
    Mile 3 - 10.19
    Mile 4 - 10.10
    Mile 5 - 10.27

Did 5 easy miles which felt good followed by strides which i always enjoy :)

So after reflecting on my lsr on Sat & gradually my stupid illness getting the better of me & getting some valued advice i decided to take 2 days rest so that i would be in the best possible shape for my very 1st half marathon on Sat :eek:
    I really don't know how i'm feeling about it with everything thats been happening but i do think i will give it a hell of a shot!
    The best news ever is that my gorgeous grandson came home from hospital today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Well done on the long run, some of the miles look very fast.

Delighted your grandson got this discharged.

• Advertisement

Well done on the long run, some of the miles look very fast.

Delighted your grandson got this discharged.

Yeah they were too fast & i think i payed for it!! Lesson learned!!

Thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hey you! Disaster is the wrong word to use for the long run. It was just a little bit overexuberant :pac: Nothing wrong with throwing a few PMP miles in late in the long run and they were close to spot on. Just keep the rest of the miles at a proper LSR pace. Best of luck in your half down in deepest bog land. I'll be awaiting an update :)

Glad to see the grandson out of hospital. Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery to top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to see the good news about your grandson. With that weight off your shoulders, you should have a great race tomorrow, especially if you don't put yourself under too much pressure regarding targets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Glad to hear your grandson is on the mend. Good luck in the half. Looking forward to reading about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow and great to hear your grandson is home.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hey you! Disaster is the wrong word to use for the long run. It was just a little bit overexuberant :pac: Nothing wrong with throwing a few PMP miles in late in the long run and they were close to spot on. Just keep the rest of the miles at a proper LSR pace. Best of luck in your half down in deepest bog land. I'll be awaiting an update :)

Glad to see the grandson out of hospital. Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery to top form.

Haha yes i much prefer your word, overexuberant ;) haha i will have to set off early enough as i wouldn't be known for my sense of direction:eek: Getting excited for it feel like i haven't ran in ages :pac:

My grandson is in top form thank god, babies are just so resilient:D

Delighted to see the good news about your grandson. With that weight off your shoulders, you should have a great race tomorrow, especially if you don't put yourself under too much pressure regarding targets :)

Thanks a mill, what started as a disastrous week is actually going quite well now! Feeling back to myself too & feeling excited for tomorrow. Defo think you're right about putting too much pressure, just a tiny bit ha ;) Nah will go out & give it my best & hopefully i can pace it & manage it well :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Glad to hear your grandson is on the mend. Good luck in the half. Looking forward to reading about it!

Thanks a mill, hopefully it goes well :D

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow and great to hear your grandson is home.

Thanks a mill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck tomorrow, have a great run and enjoy every step.

What a relief to have your grandson home. Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

The best news ever is that my gorgeous grandson came home from hospital today :D

I was thinking you were about 25 from the posts! :pac:
    (have had a look back at page 1 now ...)

Good luck with the half.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, have a great run and enjoy every step.

What a relief to have your grandson home. Good news.

Thats my plan ;) thanks a mill!

(have had a look back at page 1 now ...)

Good luck with the half.

Haha wouldn't be the 1st time I've been called immature ;)

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haha wouldn't be the 1st time I've been called immature ;)

Thanks a mill!

She meant bubbling with the exuberance of a youth! :pac:

Haha i'll take that so, you will see the true meaning of over exuberance in McGrattons after i have had a drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Exactly.
    Haha i'll take that so, you will see the true meaning of over exuberance in McGrattons after i have had a drink :D

Will be joining you, I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck with the half !

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Good luck with the half !

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I was thinking you were about 25 from your Strava photos! :eek::eek:

You're going to do brilliant tomorrow - so excited to see how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I was thinking you were about 25 from your Strava photos! :eek::eek:

You're going to do brilliant tomorrow - so excited to see how you get on!

Exactly what I was going to say. Delighted the little man is home and best of luck tomorrow.

Advertisement