Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Murph_D wrote: »
    You know where you are. You can probably deduct 2 mins for the conditions. Good race, well done, K. “More to give”, as the age old saying says. I would take that performance.

I sure do D. Knowing where I am is more than half the battle. Finally getting the hang of setting myself realistic goals too!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done on the pb - and pushing until the end . It was a bit warm all right . I enjoyed those hills last year during the half . Yesterday they were mountains !! Ratoath will be nicer - a little bit sneakier but nicer !

Thanks for that! Are you doing Ratoath this year. It was one of my favourite races last year.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Maybe not quite the time you hoped for, but I think perhaps the knee trouble came at the wrong time for this race and the conditions yesterday made it tough for many. You're still chipping away and the improvements are there to be seen. Congrats on the PB.

Well put E. I figured as much about half way through the race on Saturday. Aside from the heat factor, I definitely felt there was something missing, as if it wasn't really me that was running.........if that makes any sense? :confused:

Congrats again on the PB. The fact that you kept going, even when it would have been "easy" to chuck it in early on, has got to be a positive. Like I say, sometimes you've just got to revise your targets mid race, know what's realistic on the day, and also (more importantly in this case) what isn't. Couple of good weeks training, and you'll be all set for a PB attempt in Ratoath. Look forward to it!

Cheers J. Looking back, the fact that I felt such an urge to stop has me really scratching my head. Last time I felt like that was during the last mile of my first ever Parkrun! :D
    As far as my training during 2019 goes, I've definitely had more "life getting in the way" moments to contend with compared to last year which at times has me wondering "am I doing enough??"
    Anyway, I'm not going to tackle that particular Hornet's nest right now. :rolleyes:
    Just keep following the plan and don't do anything silly, I guess......

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Well done on Saturday K, with missing a few weeks and that heat on Saturday I wouldn't get too disheartened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well I have signed up to ratoath anyway ! I hated it last year - just had an awful race but in terms of location and organization it was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

coogy wrote: »
    Frank Duffy 10 mile

The warm weather was clearly a factor and I learned from Skyblue afterwards that a few other Boardsies were some way behind their target times too. I think it's also safe to say that the chunk of training I missed earlier in the month will have had some bearing on my performance.
    That being said, I am happy with my time and I'm also relieved that I didn't bow out during mile 4 when I felt it was all over.

Next up is the Ratoath Half where I'll be aiming for a 1:35. Onwards and upwards.

Sounds very similar to my own race, set out targeting 70 as well, but was fading by mile 4 and was closer to MP after that.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well I have signed up to ratoath anyway ! I hated it last year - just had an awful race but in terms of location and organization it was top class.

Look forward to meeting you there!!

• Advertisement

Sunday 25th August. 5 mile recovery run - 48:03 @9.36

Spent the bulk of the day doing some interior decorating - a job I used to enjoy.......:rolleyes: so it was around 10:30pm by the time I got out the door.

Have reverted back to using the phone during runs, as the watch has officially had its day and manually uploading runs to Strava is a pain in the backside.

This run went ok but I started wondering to myself if I should consider readjusting my targets and training paces for DCM following last Saturday's FD10. I know there were factors at play which had me finishing short of my target time but I don't know if I should just park it there, put it behind me and move on.
    The training paces I have been working from up till now are from this year's Dunboyne 5 miler which, according to the various pace calculators, are giving me marathon times of approx 3:20. The prospect of running a 3:20 marathon quite honestly frightens me, even though that is a good 15 mins outside of my actual goal time. :confused:

Edit: for the record, I usually don't pay much heed of pace calculators, I just thought it was a bit of an eye opener that my race times would suggest a finish time that would be beyond a dream finish time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done on the PB K especially in those conditions.
    I think ya should take greate pride in the mental strength ya showed in the race at the Mile 4 point. That kinda spirit and attitude is invaluable and is great to have for big race day.
    I'm kinda in the same quandary as you about setting a DCM goal time (maybe just running every bit of it should be mine this time!). The HM will give you a much better idea of your DCM goal time.

PS. The thread is a great read!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

I would park the FD 10 mile, although you got a PB, you're capable of running a few minutes quicker than that.
    Conditions were so tough on the day.

Your half in Rathoath will give you a better idea of DCM time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Totally agree with the others K - take satisfaction from the mental strength shown in the final six miles, and move on. You know the factors that led to a result far less than you are capable of. Plenty time to right the ship for DCM too. Good to see you been able to put consistent weeks together again.

Thanks for the input folks, it's much appreciated.

A, I think consistency is definitely something that's been lacking of late and sometimes that can be as frustrating as a bad session or training run.

You're right though, plenty of time to get things motoring again!

• Advertisement

Have been updating the log quite sporadically of late, which kind of reflects the nature of how the last few weeks have been going.

Monday 26th August. Rest day

Tuesday 27th August. 60 mins easy. 6.49 m @ 9.31
    Took this one nice and handy, again with the phone in hand to record the run. Nothing to report about it really. Legs felt ok after Saturday, just a little on the sluggish side perhaps but that my have something to do with lack of sleep over the last couple of days. The late evening runs have not helped much either.

Wednesday 28th August. 2 mile w/u, 3 x 10 mins @threshold w/ 4 mins recovery jog. 6.82m @8:21
    With little sleep happening (3 hours the previous night), I was pretty wrecked by the time I started this runmute after work. Started off with a 2 mile easy run from the main gates of the Phoenix Park and by the time I started the first of the three threshold runs, I was faced with a bugger of an incline and was really struggling to match the desired pace. Cursed myself for picking such a crazy route home which is mostly uphill......
    When I started the first 4 min recovery jog (still out of breath after the climb), the pace on the phone (using Strava) wouldn't move beyond an 8 minute/mile pace which was really frustrating as I knew I was doing about 9:30/9:40. After the 4 minutes had elapsed, I started off on another 10 mins threshold pace and again, the pace being displayed was nowhere near matching my actual pace so I had no idea how fast I was running. For all I knew, I could have been doing 6:45/6:50 and it was only after about 4 or 5 minutes that the correct pace started to show. By then, I was completely p***ed off with the situation and was tempted just to scratch this one off completely before launching my phone into the bushes (over-react? ME??)
    Wondered if this run came a little too soon following last weekend's efforts but despite the self-inflicted tiredness, I felt ready enough for it.
    The rest of the run went ok, and kept the desired pace for the final 10 minutes. Finished up with a 1 mile cool down.

As soon as payday arrives, I'll be picking up a new watch straight away. I will actually be in Bristol on the 19th/20th September for a weekend away with the lads for a 50th birthday celebration (not mine) so may pick up something over there that'll work out slightly cheaper?

Anyway, another late run planned for tonight followed by plenty of shut-eye tonight and tomorrow before Saturday's session.

My son has just joined Lucan Harriers juvenile section and going by Tuesday night's introductory session, he's already really enjoying it. I think I will finally bite the bullet myself and join the club too. I think the time's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

As soon as payday arrives, I'll be picking up a new watch straight away. I will actually be in Bristol on the 19th/20th September for a weekend away with the lads for a 50th birthday celebration (not mine) so may pick up something over there that'll work out slightly cheaper?

You're probably better off purchasing the watch from Amazon.co.uk at the Sterling price rather than a high street shop in the UK. Euro to Sterling exchange is very favourable at the moment. The Garmin Forerunner 235 was on offer recently on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=garmin+forerunner+235&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

SportDirect.co.uk also have the occasional deal too, remember to choose the UK website - https://www.sportsdirect.com/Garmin/Garmin-Running-Watches

Wiggle.co.uk as well, again making sure to pick Sterling as currency
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin/run/

Treviso wrote: »
    You're probably better off purchasing the watch from Amazon.co.uk at the Sterling price rather than a high street shop in the UK. Euro to Sterling exchange is very favourable at the moment. The Garmin Forerunner 235 was on offer recently on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=garmin+forerunner+235&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

SportDirect.co.uk also have the occasional deal too, remember to choose the UK website - https://www.sportsdirect.com/Garmin/Garmin-Running-Watches

Wiggle.co.uk as well, again making sure to pick Sterling as currency
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin/run/

Thanks T, very helpful!! :)

Get yourself down to a club, you'll not regret it. Plus you can always rely on other members for pacing you so hold off buying that watch :D

Disclaimer - if you have to run a pyramid session with the club don't come crying to me. I still have the fear after last nights session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Disclaimer - if you have to run a pyramid session with the club don't come crying to me. I still have the fear after last nights session

I hear having a log to write about such sessions in is great therapy :pac:

ReeReeG wrote: »

I hear having a log to write about such sessions in is great therapy :pac:
    You can read all about it in my memoirs " The secret diary of Rossi7, aged 60 & 3/4's"
    So you'll have to wait for another.... ahem 40 years :unsure:

Ah yes, I've heard of those.........is it a case of 'bad in a good way' or 'good in a bad way'?

Ah yes, I've heard of those.........is it a case of 'bad in a good way' or 'good in a bad way'?
    Both :D a lot easier to run it with a group or my case two other lads that I could chase/pace me around. Wouldn't fancy doing them on my own as the effort levels probably wouldn't be there. The 1600's back to back where heartbreaking, foolish of me to think it was just one 1600 and then back down

Both :D a lot easier to run it with a group or my case two other lads that I could chase/pace me around. Wouldn't fancy doing them on my own as the effort levels probably wouldn't be there. The 1600's back to back where heartbreaking, foolish of me to think it was just one 1600 and then back down

Thanks, you've really sold it to me now! :P

Thursday 29th August. 60 mins easy. 6.24 m @ 9:39
    Another late one. Legs felt shot to pieces which was probably the sleepless nights making themselves known.

Friday 30th August. Rest
    Spent about 20/30 mins doing some S&C.

Saturday 31st August. 60 mins easy + Parkrun tagged on at the end. 9.47m @9:09
    Had a rare early night on the Friday so was well rested and raring to go on Saturday morning. Early enough but not as early as usual.
    Straight down to Griffeen Park for this, where I saw Mark Ryan (2:31 @ DCM in 2018) in action on a 20 mile training run. Timed this run so that I would make the start of the Griffeen parkrun. Just missed the start by about 30 seconds but was taking it handy anyway and caught up with a few familiar faces for a nice easy pace, before giving it some welly in the final stretch! :pac:
    Lucan Harriers had taken over this particular Parkrun for the day to promote the 5 mile race next week (very tempted but will give it a miss) so there was plenty of cake and refreshments afterwards which went down a treat. :D

Sunday 1st September - 75 mins moderate pace (8:15-8:30). 9.27m @8:09
    Busy morning planned so had to be up early for this. I spent the previous couple of days bemoaning the prospect of today's paltry 75 mins run which, compared to everyone's LSR's on Strava, looked like small fry. I needn't have worried......
    Back down to Griffeen and started off at a pace of 8:15 for the first mile. Mile 2 went a little quicker and mile 3 quicker still. Brought it back to around 8:05/8:10 for the remainder of the run and felt comfortable with the pace which is giving me some much needed confidence for Ratoath in a couple of weeks where I'll be looking to run splits of between 7:10 - 7:15. Adrenaline will have a big part to play during that race, just as it did for the same event last year. I'm hoping that with the additional experience that the past year has given me, it will stand me in good stead on the day. In both of my half marathons to date, I have come away thinking "where did that come from??"
    Afterwards, it was off to Catherine's Park for a Lucan Harriers training session with my son. He's still enjoying it, thankfully!!! :)

In other news, next month, I will be running a marathon. :eek:

Miles for the week - 39.46
    Miles for the year - 1089

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3rd September. 65 mins easy - 6.75m @ 9:36
    Late run tonight but a nice easy one, took a different route than usual for a change. That's about it really. *shrug*

Wednesday 4th September w/u. 7 x 4 mins @CV (6:45-6:55) w/ 3 mins rec jog - 6.14m @ 7:30
    Thought this would be a great opportunity to use the Trinity grass track as I've not really done any speed work on it before now. Started with a worm up mile down Pearse Street, up Westland Row and into College through the Lincoln Gate before hitting the track. Left the phone behind as I knew it wouldn't be up to the job so went back to using the watch for what would hopefully be the last time (new watch on the way!).
    The track was quiet enough with just a handful of runners doing some easy laps.
    Won't go into a blow-by-blow account but I enjoyed this immensely and was really happy with the paces with were pretty consistent for each of the splits.

Thursday 5th September. 60 mins easy - 6.5m @9:33
    Back to the early starts and out the door at 6am to semi-darkness. Time to get the hi-vis gear out once again!
    Changed the route around a bit, finish off in Griffeen Park.

Friday 6th September - 45 mins S&C

Saturday 7th September. 60mins moderate pace - 7.47m @ 8.04
    Down to Griffeen again, somewhere I never really tire of and the 'go to' place in Lucan for so many runners. Like with last week's moderate pace run, this was about 10-15 seconds a minute quicker than what the plan prescribed but felt ok. Not 100% sure the pace on the Strava app is the most reliable in the world but I reckon it's close enough.....:roll eyes:

Sunday 8th September. 2 hrs 15 mins easy (actual: 2 hrs 22 mins). 14.84mm @9:31
    Went to bed on Friday not really knowing where to go for this one. I couldn't decide between Phoenix Park or Catherine's Park but woke up none the wiser. By the time I finally got my a**e in gear, it was too late to head to PP so decided to do a loop of Lucan/Celbridge/Castletown/Leixlip/Catherine's Park/Lucan. Again, the hi-vis gear was a must, particularly along the path-less road to Celbridge....not the wisest idea but thankfully given the early hour, only passed one car along that stretch.
    GPS acted up for a couple of miles along the road into Celbridge village and also for most of Castletown Estate (after climbing over the as-yet-unopened gates) due to the amount of tree coverage.
    Wasn't too much in the way of fuelling unfortunately (just a banana before leaving the house and a gel during mile 9. Didn't feel any adverse effects though but experienced the usual second and third winds during the latter stages of the run.
    Played the spectator for once at this morning's Lucan Harriers 5 mile race. Beautiful morning for it and it was no surprise to see Mick Clohisey cruise his way to another impressive win. Great event and really well organised. Will definitely do this next year.

Now officially half way though the plan and with DCM looming large, I am now consumed by all things marathon related on an almost daily basis.
    I am having numerous mental images of me running certain stages of the race with varying outcomes. I really have to try and get on top of this as it's becoming a big distraction and am finding it hard to focus. One day I will be feeling all positive about it, the next, I will find myself imagining the worst possible scenarios. Being what seemed like seconds away from a DNF at Frank Duffy certainly hasn't helped.
    The biggest mental challenge of them all is the question mark over whether or not I can make it through 26.2 miles at a consistent enough pace that will allow me to reach (or even come close to) my target time on the day.....whatever I decide it to be. I used to tell myself that I do have what it takes but I'm second guessing myself now and am wondering if the marathon distance is really for me. Oh the torment!!! :(

On the subject of stamina and staying power, I read an interesting article on Runners Connect a few days ago. It spoke of learning how to adopt certain 'tactics' when you reach that point in the race that things are starting to hurt and what you can do to keep pushing on even when the brain is urging you to stop. It listed four key tactics that can be employed when you feel like stopping is the only option:

Positive imagery and mental cues
    “I am strong, I can do this” as opposed to “push through the pain, don’t give up” because the second mantra elicits negative connotations with the words “pain” and “give up”.

Surge to get back on pace
    Being able to identify with your performance at specific times during previous races of the same length.
    Once you’ve identified your slow spot, plan to throw in a surge at this exact moment when you’re developing your race plan.
    The surge will get you back on pace and serve as a mental reminder to not let the pace slip. This doesn’t necessarily make it any easier to keep pushing the pace, but it does prevent the unintentional pace creep that often occurs.

Recommit
    One way the mind tries to convince you to stop is by tricking you into thinking you’re hurting more than you actually are. Your thoughts begin to drift from race splits and good form to the searing of your lungs and the cement-like feeling in your legs.
    The more you focus on these things, the more they seem to hurt and drag you down. Try to relax, calm your thoughts, and look deep inside yourself. Is there something more there? If so, recommit to your goals and return your focus to your pace.

Relax at the finish
    Straining your face and flaying your arms to gain momentum wastes precious energy and distracts from the one goal – moving straight ahead as fast and efficiently as possible.
    This tactic applies to any point in a race, not just the finish. Stay relaxed, focus on your form, and let your speed and power come naturally.

Most of you will probably know most of this already but it really struck a chord with me and the timing of reading it was good too. Hope I can put some of it to use at the end of October.

Really looking forward to Ratoath, hoping to put in a good performance to boost the ol' confidence!!

Miles for the week - 42.82
    Miles for the year - 1132

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

It must have been the week that was in it , everyone seems to have gone through a roller coaster of highs and lows regarding all things marathon .

Bloody FD - really wish that had never happened !

Anyways onwards and upwards . What’s your plans this week with regard to miles before the half ?

Yes, some weeks in the plan will certainly leave you asking yourself all sorts of questions but I know enough now that sticking to it will see you right. It's sometimes the bits inbetween that leave me stumped.

As for FD, I'm reluctant to keep revisiting that particular event when I know there was every chance that it could have panned out better for me than it actually did. In some ways, it answered more questions for me than I'd have expected. Line officially drawn under that one. :)

As for this week, with the exception of Wednesday's threshold run, it's all easy miles but may have to cut something back after midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice week. Has the knee been behaving itself the last while?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Nice week. Has the knee been behaving itself the last while?

Thankfully yes, it has A. It's all a distant memory now I'm happy to say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I think we are all at high mileage now and tired and doubts creeping in. You seem nice and strong now so I think you’ll be just fine. Glad the knee is a distant memory.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think we are all at high mileage now and tired and doubts creeping in. You seem nice and strong now so I think you’ll be just fine. Glad the knee is a distant memory.

Yeah you're probably right K. A lot of it comes from self-doubt, probably more than I actually realise. Unfortunately, it's something that seems to be in my genes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Doubts at this stage are very normal, if there'e 2 things you can count on 6-7 weeks before a marathon it's doubts and fatigue. You're doing great training, keep it up and it'll all come together over the next 3-4 weeks as you do the final long long runs. Exciting times!

I'll second what E said, been doubting myself since my LR last Saturday. Just a case of accumulative fatigue I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Doubting Thomas here too K- stick to the plan, you’re doing great

Advertisement