Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

tumblr_o5zqayVGKG1ts0osto1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In 15 minutes today henshaw has nailed down the 13 jersey.
    Aki and Bungee will be our first choice midfield.

I presume you mean Aki and Henshaw? I don't agree with you either. Henshaw scrambles a lot in defence at outside centre. Just never looks fully comfortable. In terms of dynamic carrying and workrate he was excellent. Ringrose is still better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wait I’ve lost track. Are we still **** and expecting to lose to Scotland and Japan? These things don’t change very quickly after all.

We were excellent in the second half. Bossed the Welsh up front for the full 40. They're a side that prides themselves on their fitness but we ran them ragged.

I still have concerns about how hard we have to work to score trys though. We had a lot of possession in and around their 22 but couldn't penetrate the Welsh defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Clegg wrote: »
    In 15 minutes today henshaw has nailed down the 13 jersey.
    Aki and Bungee will be our first choice midfield.

I presume you mean Aki and Henshaw? I don't agree with you either. Henshaw scrambles a lot in defence at outside centre. Just never looks fully comfortable. In terms of dynamic carrying and workrate he was excellent. Ringrose is still better.
    100%. The nonsense that is been spouted about Ringrose appears to be looking for problems without seeing what is directly in front of your face. He is getting slow ball and sh1te passes from his halfbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rory Best and Joe Schmidt's last home game for Ireland sees Ireland move to the #1 spot in the World Rugby rankings.

What a storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We were excellent in the second half. Bossed the Welsh up front for the full 40. They're a side that prides themselves on their fitness but we ran them ragged.

I still have concerns about how hard we have to work to score trys though. We had a lot of possession in and around their 22 but couldn't penetrate the Welsh defence.

We looked very unorganised at times, all bunched up around the ruck. Still struggling to do much beyond one out runners. Abet against an excellent Welsh defense.

We looked very unorganised at times, all bunched up around the ruck. Still struggling to do much beyond one out runners. Abet against an excellent Welsh defense.
    Welsh defense wasn’t that good. Nowhere near there normal intensity.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    100%. The nonsense that is been spouted about Ringrose appears to be looking for problems without seeing what is directly in front of your face. He is getting slow ball and sh1te passes from his halfbacks.

I wonder if we might have seen the template for the World Cup though. Ringrose is our most skilled centre at 12 or 13, but Henshaw, Aki and Farrell are obviously much more physical than he is. Could see Aki and Henshaw for the Boks as we know how much power they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

I really enjoyed that (-5) win! LOL

We've definitely got two more gears.

Bit worried about Sexy, I thought he was deliberately avoided on all first phase ball. He didn't look fit to me :-(

• Advertisement

I wonder if we might have seen the template for the World Cup though. Ringrose is our most skilled centre at 12 or 13, but Henshaw, Aki and Farrell are obviously much more physical than he is. Could see Aki and Henshaw for the Boks as we know how much power they have.
    Maybe. Henshaw did play 13 v Boks in 1st and 2nd tests in 2016. But I think that’s because Ringrose was injured.
    Ringrose is still the outstanding defender and attacker at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 38,037 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thanks joe and rory best for the memories

First game in there Reign I attended in 2013 was when the Aussies beat us handy but then the next week the All Blacks narrowly beat us in what was an amazing Irish performance. Last game I was at was last Novembers All Blacks when we finally beat them. What a night. Amazing reign in charge 2x six nations and a grand slam, wins over the top SH teams both at home and abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wait I’ve lost track. Are we still **** and expecting to lose to Scotland and Japan? These things don’t change very quickly after all.

The overreaction to a loss now will be the overreaction to a win

Personally the preseason went well, If Earls is ok then great, he would be huge loss....

All the players bar Carberry got a good run, some player really showing a hunger to start, Conway and Kilcoyne have really pushed for a starting spot

Our main players all seem to be coming into a bit of form

Great run around today

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thanks joe and rory best for the memories

First game in there Reign I attended in 2013 was when the Aussies beat us handy but then the next week the All Blacks narrowly beat us in what was an amazing Irish performance. Last game I was at was last Novembers All Blacks when we finally beat them. What a night. Amazing reign in charge 2x six nations and a grand slam, wins over the top SH teams both at home and abroad

I was at all those match’s in that series, that was when the irfu actually underpriced the 3 tickets

Has been an incredible journey with Joe....was at his first home match with Leinster as well....thanks for all the great years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Welsh defense wasn’t that good. Nowhere near there normal intensity.

Sure, that would be even worse then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We'll win the World Cup.

Book the week off work lads.

awec wrote: »
    We'll win the World Cup.

Book the week off work lads.

Week? A month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Omissions XV (maybe posted already)

Interesting all the number 7s are Irish. Although seems a bit disingenuous to include SOB as the main 7 maybe. Then again they always rated him very highly in NZ.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-world-cup-omissions-xv

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Watch the Saffa scrum today,

V Japan

They are not that good.

Guarantee we/Joe have some plays to beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Jesus that match thread was tough reading. Creeping in here too unfortunately.

Anyways, very much encouraged today. Murray looked sharper than any time I’ve seen him since his injury. His passing was accurate in the most part. He attacked the gain line at times and was even back to tackling and helping at some rucks.

I’d say if sexton didn’t kick that restart out on the full, it wouldn’t even be in people’s heads to question his performance. First game of preseason and looks fit and strong. I’ve no doubt he’ll be firing for Scotland and beyond.

I know I’ve said this previously but im just so convinced we have been building the whole year to this point. I think we sacrificed the 6 nations for this. We are going to Japan with the intention of winning the World Cup. We used last year as a trial run to peak at a specific time and it looks like we are starting to hit our markers.

We dominated wales for the most part today and we still have shown absolutely nothing attacking wise. I think it’s all been kept bottled up. I’d say there are a fair few who think im talking nonsense but I strongly feel we will light up come the quarters. Hopefully it’s enough to get past what I (dangerously) presume will be a rejuvenated SA team.

As for the team that starts against Scotland I think Henshaw should start 12 with a Ringrose at 13. Although I’d say joe will go with Aki at 12. To be fair Aki has done well and looks sharp but I think Henshaw does everything he does and more. Fact he only has the 1 preseason game will work against him.

If it wasn’t for our defensive lineout, O’Mahony would have huge cause for concern. CJ is way more effective at 6 in the loose. Took a good line out too today.

Today showed exactly why joe likes Larmour. Conway is better in the air and is as capable as opening the game up but he doesn’t do the small things like Larmour does as well. Larmour hits rucks and is as brave in the tackle. Does the small things well. Conway however might find himself starting in 2 weeks if Earls doesn’t make it.

Anyway, bit long winded that. Safe trip to anyone travelling over. Meant to be an amazing country. Was very close to pulling the trigger myself but had one too many commitments this year unfortunately.

Oh and James Ryan would walk into any team in the world. Mans a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Healy Best Furlong
    Henderson Ryan
    O’Mahony Stander VdF
    Murray Sexton
    Stockdale Aki Henshaw Conway/Earls Kearney

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Porter, Kleyn, Conan, McGrath, Carbery/Carty, Ringrose

That’s the 23 for Scotland I reckon.

If we revert to POM, VDF, Stander I think everyone will shed a little tear

Our best performance this year against France and wales have seen Conan on....Stander showed what everyone is saying and he should be our 6, flip in Pom into 7 if we need in team

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It'll be POM and VDF at 6 and 7. Question is just Stander or Conan at 8. That could well be a decision based on the opponent.

It'll be POM and VDF at 6 and 7. Question is just Stander or Conan at 8. That could well be a decision based on the opponent.

If Carberry was fully fit I would have expected him to play v Japan and POM yo captain so in that case does yesterday back row start v Scotland?

A back row of Stander, Pom, Vdf would be murdered by SA....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A back row of Stander, Pom, Vdf would be murdered by SA....

How?

How?

It’s too light.....we have been killed this season against the bigger team and they are using big string lads against our back row...

Plus no ball carriers so they double mark Stander on own back and he gets nailed

It’s too light.....we have been killed this season against the bigger team and they are using big string lads against our back row...

Plus no ball carriers so they double mark Stander on own back and he gets nailed

Right. Well thankfully the guys picking the team know that you don't freak out and cower against bigger teams and pick heavier guys out of position in the hopes they'll run straight into them.

Right. Well thankfully the guys picking the team know that you don't freak out and cower against bigger teams and pick heavier guys out of position in the hopes they'll run straight into them.

Who is out of position

Conan at 8
    Vdf at 7
    Stander at 6

Who is out of position

Conan at 8
    Vdf at 7
    Stander at 6

I was referring to the idea of picking POM at 7 which you suggested.

So I was wrong, and you actually think the answer here to us "getting killed" because we're too small is to pick a back row that is almost identical in size?

I could see that back row starting but POM is a considerably better player than Stander for me. It's much more likely to me that they'll pick VDF and POM if they're fit and then they'll choose between Conan and Stander based on the opposition.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the idea of picking POM at 7 which you suggested.

So I was wrong, and you actually think the answer here to us "getting killed" because we're too small is to pick a back row that is almost identical in size?

I could see that back row starting but POM is a considerably better player than Stander for me. It's much more likely to me that they'll pick VDF and POM if they're fit and then they'll choose between Conan and Stander based on the opposition.

That’s your opinion....your entitled to it

Maybe don’t try to belittle everyone else’s....or maybe you are party of the ireland management team?

Or like me you are just giving a point of view?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement