Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Is that actually going ahead though? I don't think its been doing as the package of immediate Dunkettle works, and is a totally disconnected thing which is very much will-it-wont-it.

It was originally bundled with the pedestrian/cycleway and money was apparently approved. But I haven't heard anything about it for months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for Dunkettle Interchange upgrade

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/152980/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

€120m estimate this time. Quite a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Drax wrote: »
    Excellent news indeed... expect it in around 10 years. :pac:

Scrolled back to page 1 to see this sarcastic post....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Truckermal wrote: »
    Scrolled back to page 1 to see this sarcastic post....:D

That post should apply from now, not then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender out for Dunkettle Interchange upgrade

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/152980/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

€120m estimate this time. Quite a jump.

To be fair, they did get this published really quickly after the breakdown in the old tender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To be fair, they did get this published really quickly after the breakdown in the old tender.

They did indeed.

With all the delays, it hasn't affected the timeline too much. The delays are quite reasonable.

Advance works for the next 10 months.
    Summer 2020 - awarding of main contract
    2022 - sectional opening of ramps and access roads
    End 2023 - main works complete

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

I had a look at the documents on etenders - it is only the prequalification stage unfortunately - 5 contractors will be shortlisted. The form of contract selected is the standard public works design and build contract, I thought Sisk have developed the design, I wonder will they retender for it this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I had a look at the documents on etenders - it is only the prequalification stage unfortunately - 5 contractors will be shortlisted. The form of contract selected is the standard public works design and build contract, I thought Sisk have developed the design, I wonder will they retender for it this time around?
    Sisk developed a design but as there was no competition, there was no incentive for a efficient, value for money design. No doubt they will tender again but just about all aspects of their tender will be very different this time.

This should have been a standard D&B from the start.

The weekly update from this week:

I'm imagining they are wrong because highwaymaniac has actually read the tender.
    • TII invited tenders for the main construction works design and build contract on Monday the 2nd of September 2019.
    • During the tender period for the main construction contract, a number of key advance work items will be progressed as referenced in recent updates.
    • Installation of a working platform to facilitate future embankment construction in the area near Bury’s Bridge will continue intermittently for a number of weeks. No disruption to traffic is anticipated in this area.
    • The permanent fencing works in the Gaelscoil Ui Drisceoill have been completed.
    • Ground investigation works will be getting underway over the next couple of days in an area west of the Pfizer plant. These ground investigation works are specific to Gas Networks Ireland transmission mains in the area and the purpose of the ground investigation works is to facilitate design of appropriate service protection works at this location.
    • Details of further advance work items will continue to be provided via this weekly newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm imagining they are wrong because highwaymaniac has actually read the tender.
    Who do you imagine are wrong and about what?

• Advertisement

I'd say it was a deliberate attempt to spin it, which I don't think is helpful, the return date is 15th October 2019 in the etenders notice that was never going to be long enough for the full tender return. Short listing stage isn't much to shout about.

On the other hand in the same newsletter they have a picture of small section of new fencing!! Much better to be upfront on the key issues like project timescale otherwise I suspect people will lose interest and patience, if not already!

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Who do you imagine are wrong and about what?

The newsletter is sent from N40/Dunkettle Team from roadconstruction@ccc-site.com email address.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Funding-will-be-sought-for-a-new-bridge-over-the-traffic-choked-South-Ring-Road--9d0fdaf2-30f0-4f1d-80f5-016d67de0296-ds?fbclid=IwAR3GhYfxWWLorNDR1wiGoV7GiUc_yjqtneJi4FK-xcQ5_0vNxEHY3trIMQQ
    FUNDING for a proposed cycle link and pedestrian bridge over the South Ring Road into Tramore Valley Park will be sought by Cork City Council next year.

Councillor Shane O’Callaghan has called on the local authority to seek funding streams from both the National Transport Authority (NTA) and Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) for the pedestrian footbridge linking the park to Grange and Frankfield.

Government reaffirms commitment to Dunkettle

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/govt-absolutely-committed-to-delivering-dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-despite-delays-974139.html

€250m, not sure where the figure is plucked from, would be absolutely scandalous though.

Government reaffirms commitment to Dunkettle

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/govt-absolutely-committed-to-delivering-dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-despite-delays-974139.html

€250m, not sure where the figure is plucked from, would be absolutely scandalous though.

Is there an election on the way? :rolleyes:

Is there an election on the way? :rolleyes:

There was a press conference on Ireland 2040 today and one of the questions was on Dunkettle, hence the article.

There was a press conference on Ireland 2040 today and one of the questions was on Dunkettle, hence the article.

Yeah i read the article and am hopeful that construction starts this year, however the possibility of an election is the next 6-8 weeks is what initially got me thinking. From a successful retender-contract signed-breaking ground, how long should that take ideally?

Yeah i read the article and am hopeful that construction starts this year, however the possibility of an election is the next 6-8 weeks is what initially got me thinking. From a successful retender-contract signed-breaking ground, how long should that take ideally?
    Plan is to have the diggers in before the end of the year I believe, open to correction if anything has changed.

I think thats still the case, with major enabling works and the N8 outbound to M8 northbound link (the easy one) to be started in Feb this year.

The more I see that, the more I think it will be a wide road with the possibility of taking traffic off the M8 south altogether to enable night works... it would certainly help with that bigtime.

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain this: was it not already complete?

It would have been, but given the offline works ongoing and planned for the next number of months, i would imagine that they will want an as up to date as possible surveyed ground model to give out before this new tender process is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Since it was done, the continents drifted enough to require another one... /s

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Do we know when to expect a winning tender decision for the main construction work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lots of clearance works the last week on the side by the old IBIS. Trees and ditches being cleared.

CHealy wrote: »
    Lots of clearance works the last week on the side by the old IBIS. Trees and ditches being cleared.

That happened the last time as well. Probably just keeping on top of it until the starting gun is fired

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Arent the slip roads from tivoli to n8 northbound and n8 southbaound to n25 east still being done anyway?

Thought had read that somewhere

Mushy wrote: »
    Arent the slip roads from tivoli to n8 northbound and n8 southbaound to n25 east still being done anyway?

Thought had read that somewhere

Those and the cycleway are being built right now.
    It's not just preparatory clearance works.

They've been sending photos of it in the mailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Those and the cycleway are being built right now.
    It's not just preparatory clearance works.

They've been sending photos of it in the mailout.

That's probably where I saw it. Actually went past it on train minutes after I posted, the one for northbound seems well advanced beyond just clearance. Whole shape is done and had ducting ready to be installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Good to see things happening at last but what's the story with the tender?

Once completed I've a feeling there are still going to be delays for South bound traffic at peak hours.

You'll have the M8, N25 and people from town all merging into 2 lanes to head thru the tunnel. Will be carnage I'd imagine when you compare what's happening at Rochestown Park with only 2 roads merging.

Advertisement