Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Shane732 wrote: »
    I got the Roborock today and it seems decent.

The main teething problem I am having is that when I try to set no go zone it's telling me they are too close to the dock - even though they are in totally different rooms!

Any suggestions?

I've been having issues with No Go zones since I got the S50 two weeks ago. I was told last Friday by support that updated firmware is coming out soon to address it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Updated to 3.3.9_001886 on the S50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

So after harping on about robot vacuum cleaners for the past two years my partner picked me up one for my birthday.

It wasn't the Xiaomi roborock that I had my eye on but some other make that I've never heard of.
    Proscenic 811gb.

First impressions are really good. Not as intuitive as the others but definitely gets the job done.
    Mopping is impressive, not sparkling clean but I can imagine if you did this everyday it would keep an already clean floor spotless.
    The app works fine for me.

Definitely reaffirms my desire to get one when we move into our house that's under renovation at the moment.

Girlfriends parents are equally impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

seannash wrote: »
    So after harping on about robot vacuum cleaners for the past two years my partner picked me up one for my birthday.

It wasn't the Xiaomi roborock that I had my eye on but some other make that I've never heard of.
    Proscenic 811gb.

First impressions are really good. Not as intuitive as the others but definitely gets the job done.
    Mopping is impressive, not sparkling clean but I can imagine if you did this everyday it would keep an already clean floor spotless.
    The app works fine for me.

Definitely reaffirms my desire to get one when we move into our house that's under renovation at the moment.

Girlfriends parents are equally impressed.

My ears pricked up when you mentioned a mop function. Very interested to hear how the mop works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Yes that's the link I bought by S50 from. Used Polish warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

My ears pricked up when you mentioned a mop function. Very interested to hear how the mop works.

Forgot to reply to this.
    Don't get too excited, it's just the normal water dripping onto cloth but it does a good job. I dragged mud over some tiles the other day and I set it to work on it. Put it down and closed the door. Came back an hour later and it was gone.
    It doesn't have a low water warning so it's hard to know when this particular model is done.
    One advantage this type of non mapping robot is that it has multiple passes of the floor so it gets a chance to mop over the stains a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Amazon Deal of the day - ecovacs n79s £149.99

is it any good though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So after waxing lyrical about my Neato d3 it appears to have failed after18 months, won’t finish rooms seems like a laser issue

Thinking of getting the s50 , where is the best place to buy at the moment (with quick delivery ideally ) and I think I saw one somewhere offering a 5 year warranty which would be good ...

garion wrote: »
    Yes that's the link I bought by S50 from. Used Polish warehouse.

That seems good actually and a 3 year warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Cyrus wrote: »
    So after waxing lyrical about my Neato d3 it appears to have failed after18 months, won’t finish rooms seems like a laser issue

I enjoy fixing stuff - might take it off your hands?

Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

That seems good actually and a 3 year warranty
    About 3 year warranty, I won’t be counting on this... They’ll probably ask you to send it back to China (€80-100) or might pay you for spare part ... If store still exists in 3 years , of course...
    As for the laser issue, in most cases it cost you €15 and 30 min of spare time

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190818043840&SearchText=Neato+botvac+d+laser&switch_new_app=y

alec76 wrote: »
    About 3 year warranty, I won’t be counting on this... They’ll probably ask you to send it back to China (€80-100) or might pay you for spare part ... If store still exists in 3 years , of course...
    As for the laser issue, in most cases it cost you €15 and 30 min of spare time

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190818043840&SearchText=Neato+botvac+d+laser&switch_new_app=y

thanks for that,

if i knew exactly what was wrong with the neato id try fix it but cant be sure, the lidar is moving and laser is lighting but its just not completing rooms.

Can it find dock station? If so, laser not an issue AFAIK
    Could be dirty/blocked wall sensor .

alec76 wrote: »
    Can it find dock station? If so, laser not an issue AFAIK
    Could be dirty/blocked wall sensor .

yes can find the dock, although if i put it on a floor without the dock it tries to dock against a wall where there is no dock which is bizarre and annoying.

let me look into the wall sensor, thanks

Tiny bit of a spider web drives wall sensor crazy.

What about if some dope covered it with felt to stop it marking skirting boards ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

My Eufy 30C I bought in April got sick and had to be sent away!..

A side brush motor was failing and making noise so in fairness to Eufy they gave an address in Cardiff to send it to, reimbursed the cost of postage and have a new one on route to me already.

Probably the first item I've ever used the warranty from!

Any recommendations for spares for the Roborock s50, filters , mops etc

Just go for generic on eBay or somewhere else ?

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for spares for the Roborock s50, filters , mops etc

Just go for generic on eBay or somewhere else ?
    Just buy genuine Xiaomi/Roborock parts at AliExpress.
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32907574894.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32907574894&aff_trace_key=8bea573a56494a36ba409c5c885bb666-1567424071382-01448-b3v6XBBa&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=9387amp-8-HI7naNolsgLjqGtba4nw1567591161845

ok have my roborock s50 now, few qns that i cant find the immediate answer to via google.

Mapping - can it save multiple maps or just one, if just one and i want to move it upstairs to do a floor can i just let it off without the dock and itll return to where it started ?

Mapping - can i cordon off a section of rug as do not enter when running the mop?

Mop - do i vaccum first then mop or does it vacuum as it mops?

Mapping - can it save multiple maps or just one, if just one and i want to move it upstairs to do a floor can i just let it off without the dock and itll return to where it started ?
    Happy to be wrong here but my S5 can only save 1 map. Because I want to use it upstairs and downstairs I have disabled maps and just let it remap each time. Works perfectly for me but obviously I lose the benefits of no-go zones etc. Downstairs it'll return to the dock. Upstairs it will try find the dock initially but then just come back to where I placed it originally.
    It would be great if they rolled out the multi-map or room functionality that's on the S6 but it's one of the key differences between the 2 models so I can't see them doing that.
    Mapping - can i cordon off a section of rug as do not enter when running the mop?
    Yes, if you've mapping enabled you can set a no-go zone around your rug. However you'll need to remove it when not mopping. For me I just roll up the rug for mopping as I only do it occasionally and as I said above, I have disabled mapping so I can use the S5 on different floors easily.
    Mop - do i vaccum first then mop or does it vacuum as it mops?
    I always do a full Turbo or Max vacuum before mopping to make sure the floor is as clean as it can be. From what I can see the vacuum is enabled during mopping but it's very low power so doesn't do a good job.
    I find the mopping decent but it's even better if you do it twice so I do the full vacuum, add the mop attachment, then do a zone cleaning x 2 on the area I want to mop. About half way through the mopping pause and check that there's still water in the tank. I also add a little Dettol to the water tank which gives it a nice clean smell and obviously helps with the cleaning too.

perfect thanks for that, appreciate the detailed response

couple of more qns, i need to have a saved map as i use the mop and i need to avoid a large rug, all working pretty well and im actually impressed with the mop.

but what im wondering is, my saved map has noted a few obstacles that can be moved, if that map is used as the base will the vaccum always avoid those areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Happy to be wrong here but my S5 can only save 1 map. Because I want to use it upstairs and downstairs I have disabled maps and just let it remap each time. Works perfectly for me but obviously I lose the benefits of no-go zones etc. Downstairs it'll return to the dock. Upstairs it will try find the dock initially but then just come back to where I placed it originally.
    It would be great if they rolled out the multi-map or room functionality that's on the S6 but it's one of the key differences between the 2 models so I can't see them doing that.

I find the mopping decent but it's even better if you do it twice so I do the full vacuum, add the mop attachment, then do a zone cleaning x 2 on the area I want to mop. About half way through the mopping pause and check that there's still water in the tank. I also add a little Dettol to the water tank which gives it a nice clean smell and obviously helps with the cleaning too.

What would you estimate is the time difference between remapping and using the mapping? Is it feasible to move it up and down between floors all the time?

Also, how would you describe the mopping - a soggy mess or pretty dry? Have laminate flooring and can only use slightly damp things on it.

Thanks, and apologies for jumping in.

What would you estimate is the time difference between remapping and using the mapping? Is it feasible to move it up and down between floors all the time?

Also, how would you describe the mopping - a soggy mess or pretty dry? Have laminate flooring and can only use slightly damp things on it.

Thanks, and apologies for jumping in.

I think there's any real difference in time between using the map and remapping. Without the map it just creates a series of rectangular spaces and then fills in the spaces over and back before moving onto the next rectangular. I think it does the same with a mapped room too.
    That being said I quickly disabled maps when I realized it didn't work for my situation so maybe there is some efficiency in using it. Time isn't really a concern for me though.

There's usually 3 scenarios for us.
    1) Kitchen downstairs (wooden floors) gets vacuumed probably twice as day as that's where we are 90% of the day. We also mop it a couple of times a week right after a vacuum through a zoned clean (x2).
    2) Other rooms downstairs (hall, living room, 1 bedroom etc.) - mixture of wooden floor, tiles and carpet - get vacuumed maybe twice a week.
    3) Upstairs hall, landing & bedrooms (all carpet) gets vacuumed maybe once a week.

There's absolutely no issue with remapping each time. Just plonk oul Harry Hoover down in the room or rooms you want and he'll figure it out. If I just need the living room done I just close the door and leave him at it. If I want all of downstairs I just make sure the doors to each room is open and he'll do it all with probably a visit back to the dock to charge before continuing on to finish the job.
    Upstairs he won't fall down the stairs. Comes up the edge then turns around. First couple of tries of that were fun with blankets below in case he suddenly became suicidal! :D

No, mopping is v dry. You definitely notice how clean the floor is but it just leaves a thin trail of liquid behind that drys within 5 mins. Definitely not a soggy mess.

couple of more qns, i need to have a saved map as i use the mop and i need to avoid a large rug, all working pretty well and im actually impressed with the mop.

but what im wondering is, my saved map has noted a few obstacles that can be moved, if that map is used as the base will the vaccum always avoid those areas?

It would probably make sense to remap the room if you've moved things around a little. It'll just follow the map AFAIK and avoid areas with no-go zones if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I think there's any real difference in time between using the map and remapping. Without the map it just creates a series of rectangular spaces and then fills in the spaces over and back before moving onto the next rectangular. I think it does the same with a mapped room too.
    That being said I quickly disabled maps when I realized it didn't work for my situation so maybe there is some efficiency in using it. Time isn't really a concern for me though.

There's usually 3 scenarios for us.
    1) Kitchen downstairs (wooden floors) gets vacuumed probably twice as day as that's where we are 90% of the day. We also mop it a couple of times a week right after a vacuum through a zoned clean (x2).
    2) Other rooms downstairs (hall, living room, 1 bedroom etc.) - mixture of wooden floor, tiles and carpet - get vacuumed maybe twice a week.
    3) Upstairs hall, landing & bedrooms (all carpet) gets vacuumed maybe once a week.

There's absolutely no issue with remapping each time. Just plonk oul Harry Hoover down in the room or rooms you want and he'll figure it out. If I just need the living room done I just close the door and leave him at it. If I want all of downstairs I just make sure the doors to each room is open and he'll do it all with probably a visit back to the dock to charge before continuing on to finish the job.
    Upstairs he won't fall down the stairs. Comes up the edge then turns around. First couple of tries of that were fun with blankets below in case he suddenly became suicidal! :D

No, mopping is v dry. You definitely notice how clean the floor is but it just leaves a thin trail of liquid behind that drys within 5 mins. Definitely not a soggy mess.

Many thanks for the detailed answers. I was thinking about something in the £200 range, but might need to find a little more and go for something like this. Unless somebody has something with similar performance and a lower price?

• Advertisement

people may disagree but i think the extra is well spent, either on a neato d3 from the amazon warehouse (can get them for 220/230 stg) or one of the roborocks.

i have both.

Advertisement