Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy VIII remastered

• 02-09-2019 12:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Anybody else excited about this? Due to land on steam tomorrow I believe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Didn't know it was getting a lick of paint but will pick it up at some point, my fave in the series and the gun blade is a bad ass weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah, couldn't get to grips with it originally but it's become a fave.

Still think it's a pity you can't explore much at the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really looking forward to this. Be interesting to see how the touch up looks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Pre-Download is available at the moment and its only 2.81GB. I am not sure what to expect from this release. I can't see it looking overly different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been playing the original release with mods to make the game look a whole lot nicer. There's mods to replace all the character models and backgrounds with much better looking ones. I think this is using the old assets with nothing new added.

That said the original PC release is janky as **** with lots of graphical issues that still aren't fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good write up and set of screenshots here - https://www.thegamer.com/final-fantasy-viii-remastered-review/

The cheats are definitely an interesting addition for lapsed gamers who purely want a nostalgia walk through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That draw magic system though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Probably will pick it up at some point, most likely whenever it's on sale. Have the PS1 copy hanging around somewhere but never did finish it all those years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't played this since its original release fadó fadó, so I'm fascinated to play it again. Something of the ugly duckling of that trilogy of PS1 FF games which is probably down to Squall; and while I vaguely recall enjoying it overall, I think I had a lingering disappointment it wasn't more FF7 (not being aware at that point that each Final Fantasy game was set in its own world).
    fixxxer wrote: »
    That draw magic system though :(

With only vague memories of the abstract, I've read this a lot but don't get it: what was it about the FF8 magic system that caused such heartache?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Had a great time going through the remastered VII and IX on PS4. Really nice to be able to turn off random encounters when I just wanted to be able to push forward with the story, looking forward to doing the same with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't played this since its original release fadó fadó, so I'm fascinated to play it again. Something of the ugly duckling of that trilogy of PS1 FF games which is probably down to Squall; and while I vaguely recall enjoying it overall, I think I had a lingering disappointment it wasn't more FF7 (not being aware at that point that each Final Fantasy game was set in its own world).

With only vague memories of the abstract, I've read this a lot but don't get it: what was it about the FF8 magic system that caused such heartache?

You had to suck manage from bad guys to use it, but using it reduced your stick of magic. As you junction magic to weapons and armour the more magic you had the more power you had. I played FF8 recently on the vita and found it very tedious to level up, fights lasting ages while you drew off enough magic from badguys before killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I thought it was FF7 they were remaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    I thought it was FF7 they were remaking.

They still are: this is just a remaster of FF8, where they replaced the old low-poly character models with HD versions (along with some small quality of life additions like the ability to opt out of random encounters)

The FF7 remake is just that, a complete 100% remake from the ground up (and apparently will be released in multiple parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

pixelburp wrote: »
    They still are: this is just a remaster of FF8, where they replaced the old low-poly character models with HD versions (along with some small quality of life additions like the ability to opt out of random encounters)
    remake is just that, a complete 100% remake from the ground up (and apparently will be released in multiple parts)

Oh ya, thanks for jogging my memory. I don't think I have the time anyway for either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I haven't replayed it since the old days so I'm very tempted by these new character models, the option to speed up the game will be very useful too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

du-nun-nun-nun-clap-clap--clap

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm slightly tainted by the fact that this was the first RPG I really liked (Alundra was too scary for young me :o) and probably the first game I ever dumped hours and hours (and hours) into. The reviews seem adequate so I'll definitely be jumping on this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone get the theme preorder bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw the demo on metacritic my god the battle music brings back memories. It's greatest flaw is at the beginning and drawing magic and then replacing and drawing more powerful magic several more times. Some of the dream sequences were a little ponderous.
    I played the card game to death. To get one the Laguna card you had to go through quite a long cutscene in space and the game forced the random rules, you could end up losing powerful cards and having to reset. This led to many shouts of "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" in the Gimli household.

Overall though great game and in my top 3 FF games with VII and X.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Saw the demo on metacritic my god the battle music brings back memories. It's greatest flaw is at the beginning and drawing magic and then replacing and drawing more powerful magic several more times. Some of the dream sequences were a little ponderous.
    I played the card game to death. To get one the Laguna card you had to go through quite a long cutscene in space and the game forced the random rules, you could end up losing powerful cards and having to reset. This led to many shouts of "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" in the Gimli household.

Overall though great game and in my top 3 FF games with VII and X.

The random rule was such bullshít.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The random rule was such bullsh

Found it made the card game way more fun and interesting.

The biggest issue I had was when it popped up in a bull**** sidequest where you had to lose a specific card to get a new one. You would have to keep playing until that card appeared then lose the match (which became even more annoying when you accidently won a match you were trying to lose with a massive combo right at the end :mad:)

Losing that Ifrit card to Rinoa's dad was a load of me hole.

Random was fine. Random, Same, Same/Wall, Plus, Elemental, Direct was more than a little annoying. Especially when you had 8 useless cards you need 10 of to refine and you end up with 4 of those and a player card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Evade wrote: »
    Random was fine. Random, Same, Same/Wall, Plus, Elemental, Direct was more than a little annoying. Especially when you had 8 useless cards you need 10 of to refine and you end up with 4 of those and a player card.

I still punish myself with them rule sets in FF14s Triple Triad card game... the Same/Plus rule is just so freaking annoying.

I just got around to playing now. The world map is jarring to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Evade wrote: »
    I just got around to playing now. The world map is jarring to say the least.

Just wait for a remake in 20 years time!

It seems that the rules behind Triple Triad have changed..? The Trepe fanclub don't seem to have the Quistis card after beating Ifirit, and changing the Queen's trade rule to All hasn't changed everyone's rule to all. Although maybe it's user error :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It seems that the rules behind Triple Triad have changed..? The Trepe fanclub don't seem to have the Quistis card after beating Ifirit, and changing the Queen's trade rule to All hasn't changed everyone's rule to all. Although maybe it's user error :o

Literally unplayable if that's the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This is a very lazy remaster.

Literally, only the character models and text boxes have been changed. Everything else is the same.

Game is letterboxed, and all the backgrounds look extra fuzzy as they're stretched out on modern screens.

One thing I never knew, which this port has revealed, is that after Cid details the exam mission, and it cuts back to your control, Cid is just an interactible part of the background on that screen, not an actual character model.

So it goes from his new model, to a blob of colours in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Galilea Hissing Topic

Unpopular opinion probably

Can't stand this game, tried so many times to like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have a number of games like that. I tried to like them but couldn't get into them. I do find in such instances the higher acclaim the game is held in the more I tend to dislike them, when they don't click with me, for whatever reason. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Except for the last of us. If you don't like the last of us I hate you :)

Advertisement