Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2019 - Round 13 Belgium

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That was great. Hamilton showing just how good he can be and LeClerc holding his nerve finally.

Albon with a great drive. Hulkenberg as well.

Feel really bad for Lando and Giovanazzi who both did really well in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Inviere

Charles is a fooking class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Vettel must be thinking whether it's worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Inviere

flazio wrote: »
    Vettel must be thinking whether it's worth it anymore.

A quick look at a Ferrari pay slip will answer that one. He is probably wondering though if Ferrari is where to be to win a championship though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

That was a big impact for Giovinazzi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Great for Charles L, entertaining race again.

Disaster for Haas and Renault again really and real unlucky for McLaren.

I was impressed with the pace of the Toro Rosso in race , good result for them , are they 5 in constructors now ?

Good drive from Albon in the second half of the race , nice he gots so far up in the
    points starting at the back .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Switched to the GAA at the chequered flag. What happened Norris. Saw he had pulled in at side of track.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

recyclebin wrote: »
    Switched to the GAA at the chequered flag. What happened Norris. Saw he had pulled in at side of track.

Probably a power unit failure, looked like it just cut out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭This is it

It's funny, all the giving out I was doing about leaving LeClerc out too long, if he had come in a few laps earlier you'd think Hamilton would have caught and passed him with the extra deterioration in tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

A word on Albon, I think he showed very well today in the end. He was decisive in his overtakes. Really interested to see how he gets on in a race without grid penalties

• Advertisement

skipper_G wrote: »
    A word on Albon, I think he showed very well today in the end. He was decisive in his overtakes. Really interested to see how he gets on in a race without grid penalties

Some brilliant moves throughout the race, really enjoyed watching him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Delighted for charles. He's a potential world champion. Lando was unlucky to not finisg. Albion had a great race. Made plenty of move over takes. Hass were useless today. Somebody made the point that could look at it and try an found a way out. I think he'll give it 2 more years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just saw what happened on the final lap. Albon was brave on the grass overtaking Perez. 5th place is a solid start in a new car. I wonder will he put it up to Max over time?

I'm off to Monza next weekend. Can't wait \o/. Could be a wet race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Just a thought I had when I seen lando Norris stopping after the start finish line... I wonder had he stopped just before the line and leclerc passed him as he takes the Chequers flag would he have been technically lapped and then he could have freewheeled over the line as there is a slight incline on that straight?. I know he didn’t really have time to think all on the spot but technically wouldn’t he have been classified in p5 or p6 worst case scenario if he got passed by Albon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only just finished watching the highlights on C4. Have to say that was a really good race. There used to be a time when I was happy to see Max out but have to say that it was a pity he ended up going out today. Would have been interesting to see if he could have got by the Mercs.

Delighted for Charles and it was only right he won today. I thought Ferrari messed up there strategy with Vettel. He should really have got second.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What an indignity for the four time world champion being ordered to let the junior through. It was a moment that could represent a watershed in Vettel's career. It's certain he will never fulfill his ambition to win a title with the Scuderia. He may still be ahead of Leclerc on points but his performance this weekend must raise doubts about his future in the sport beyond the end of his contract next year.

chicorytip wrote: »
    What an indignity for the four time world champion being ordered to let the junior through. It was a moment that could represent a watershed in Vettel's career. It's certain he will never fulfill his ambition to win a title with the Scuderia. He may still be ahead of Leclerc on points but his performance this weekend must raise doubts about his future in the sport beyond the end of his contract next year.

The alternative was they race, Charles would definitely have caught him, and there's huge potential for a crash or for Hamilton and Bottas to take them both. The only reason LeClerc finished first is Vettel held up Hamilton, those couple of seconds were vital for Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Charles-Leclerc-Ferrari-GP-Belgien-2019-Spa-Francorchamps-article169Gallery-4300a47-1623928.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Why isn't Seb in the photo considering he contributed to the win also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Jeff2

He came in 11th after a great run to be 5th most of the race.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AMKC wrote: »
    Only just finished watching the highlights on C4. Have to say that was a really good race. There used to be a time when I was happy to see Max out but have to say that it was a pity he ended up going out today. Would have been interesting to see if he could have got by the Mercs.

Delighted for Charles and it was only right he won today. I thought Ferrari messed up there strategy with Vettel. He should really have got second.

I was glad Max was first out today. He still needs to learn the lesson that the race is not won on the first corner.

Delighted for Charles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

vectra wrote: »
    I was glad Max was first out today. He still needs to learn the lesson that the race is not won on the first corner.

Delighted for Charles though.

21 consecutive top 5 finishes. Think he learned that. Just made a mistake today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

AMKC wrote: »

Only real way to manage it if you look at the evolution of the cars - the Ferrari chewed up it's tires. Whomever was in 2nd would've needed to play roadblock for a while; "luckily" it was Seb, otherwise people would never shut up about the team "screwing Leclerc up" or "favoritism" - just like many did after the first round of stops.

Hoping Vettel could finish on mediums at the stage he pitted was wishful thinking at best. Let's be very clear here - Ferrari came within a lap of throwing another win to the wind, but this time they managed.

It's ALWAYS good to see Max out, if anything to piss the "orange crowd" off :D

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    21 consecutive top 5 finishes. Think he learned that. Just made a mistake today

Mistake!!:eek:

He got a bad start, was well behind Kimi and Perez and decided to either Barge through or take a chance. None of those choices are a mistake. It was a typical Max move. No excuse.

Mistake!!:eek:

He got a bad start, was well behind Kimi and Perez and decided to either Barge through or take a chance. None of those choices are a mistake. It was a typical Max move. No excuse.

Show me another move in the past 12 months you'd chalk as a "typical Mad Max move"?
    Karun Chandok made an interesting observation recently, Monaco last year, Max bins it after the swimming pool in FP3, ruins qualifying, ruins his race. Next stop Canada and Karun spots a difference in his driving style, he's much less aggressive and a lot smoother and has been ever since.
    Let's not forget the driver many believed to be the best on the grid, Fernando Alonso caused a similar accident last year.
    Max is either the best or second best driver on the grid right now depending on how you view Leclerc and or Hamilton. He's box office material and will continue to be for years to come.

Show me another move in the past 12 months you'd chalk as a "typical Mad Max move"?
    Karun Chandok made an interesting observation recently, Monaco last year, Max bins it after the swimming pool in FP3, ruins qualifying, ruins his race. Next stop Canada and Karun spots a difference in his driving style, he's much less aggressive and a lot smoother and h
    as been ever since.
    Let's not forget the driver many believed to be the best on the grid, Fernando Alonso caused a similar accident last year.
    Max is either the best or second best driver on the grid right now depending on how you view Leclerc and or Hamilton. He's box office material and will continue to be for years to come.

We are not discussing the past 12 months,
    We are discussing yesterdays race.

We are not discussing the past 12 months,
    We are discussing yesterdays race.

But you can only have a "typical" move if your comparing it to other instances.
    Drivers aren't stuck with instincts to do the wrong thing for the entirely of their racing career. They learn, adapt and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

All you can Take from Max's start yesterday is it was poor take off from him again , he has done that twice this year prior and came out on top. So he does/or should know not to be rash , It didnt look like a lunge or anything it just looked like bad positioning but thats not the first time at Spa he has got caught on the inside . He got his punishment he was out of the race. Kimi on the other hand had his car wrecked and lucky to not end up on his head.

Question for up and coming race in Monza , if the Ferrari eats tyres like it did this weekend in the race , Monza is just a flat out top speed wins pole kinda lap what can they do in the race to keep Mercedes and possible 2 very fast Honda's behind both seem to be better on tyres than Ferrari.

• Advertisement

But you can only have a "typical" move if your comparing it to other instances.
    Drivers aren't stuck with instincts to do the wrong thing for the entirely of their racing career. They learn, adapt and change.

Most do learn,adapt and change. But apparently Max has not got there fully just yet, Have you forgotten how he was before those "magical 12 months" you point out?

Advertisement