Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Typical Remainer question:
    The audience member said: "You don't know that. For everybody else here who works in London, who would be serving us our coffee in Pret? Who would be serving us our sandwiches?"
    https://www.businessinsider.com/question-time-audience-who-would-be-serving-our-coffee-in-pret-if-eu-nationals-left-britain-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

Concerned Remainer
    58b95aacdd08957b328b47a1-750-563.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The big difference between y2k and brexit is, y2k had immense preparation to prevent it from being a crisis. Most of the EU including Ireland are preparing for a no deal scenario. Meanwhile the UK seems completely unprepared for a no deal scenario which they are going to be instigators of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Brexit will likely be another damn squid like the millennium bug turned out to be.

Goddam crustaceans. :mad:

**Damp squib**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

illumin wrote: »

Thanks, are you familiar with the term malapropism?

Goddam crustaceans. :mad:

**Damp squib**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,410 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

biko wrote: »
    Brexit food shortages are not inevitable – keep calm and don’t panic buy
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/read-this/brexit-food-shortages-are-not-inevitable-keep-calm-and-dont-panic-buy/

Let them eat damn squid!

Let them eat damn squid!

This guy gets it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Dp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I didn't say they don't have the right to comment brendan

Dig up not down silly

Dp
    Damn protestants?
    Display picture?
    Democratic party?
    Derp?

The suspense is killing me

• Advertisement

Damn protestants?
    Display picture?
    Democratic party?
    Derp?

The suspense is killing me

Deadly posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Only one thing worse that a brit, that's a west brit

Worse than a brit? Go away with that xenophobic nonsense.

My partner is British, living here 12 years and absolutely ****ting himself over what Brexit will mean to him when he travels over to the UK after Brexit with our son and what it may mean to him living here as a 'non European'. And will he be a target for anti-English sentiment like the type you're spouting here.

He voted to remain as did many British people and now happily calls Ireland his home. Calling British (and non British) people Tans really is scraping the barrell - do we really want to go back to that nonsense in 2019?

Seriously, cop yourself on.

What’s worse is the MP who’s said this has lied outright every time he’s been on Marr

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1168085324746174464?s=21

What’s worse is the MP who’s said this has lied outright every time he’s been on Marr

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1168085324746174464?s=21

What's "Marr" ?

what it may mean to him living here as a 'non European'.

He voted to remain as did many British people and now happily calls Ireland his home.

He will still be European.

Why do people equate EU with Europe, it's two different things.
    Hint, one is a continent.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What's "Marr" ?

See bbc tweet further up.
    Political correspondent with a show in bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He will still be European.

Why do people equate EU with Europe, it's two different things.
    Hint, one is a continent.

Ok, he will be a non EU citizen in an EU country and he doesn't know the consequences of being in the position, whether that means travelling with a special visa while his son travels on an EU passport. Y'know, little things like that.

It's not something you have to worry about anyway, so easy enough to dismiss other people's fears from that position.

Ok, he will be a non EU citizen in an EU country and he doesn't know the consequences of being in the position, whether that means travelling with a special visa while his son travels on an EU passport. Y'know, little things like that.

It's not something you have to worry about anyway, so easy enough to dismiss other people's fears from that position.

No change to the common travel agreement thingy.

Stated many times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I may be one of the very lucky few that **might well benefit from a hard Brexit business wise we buy a lot of our products directly from Chinese/Asian suppliers shipped here directly, and the rest of our products that we get from UK accounts - are merely a UK depot for EU companies anyways, so we can just start buying directly from the likes of Germany and France etc.

A lot, and by a lot I mean most of my competitors business models are entirely different to our model, as they buy very little direct from Asian suppliers, and are almost entirely dependent on a 24hr shipping service from the UK. With some of them being mere Irish depots of UK companies anyway.

If Brexit gets as messy as some are suggesting, I think we may become wholesalers in Ireland for our competitors in the short term, as ultimately they'll have little other choice, but how long they would survive having to do so I've no clue.

**However I can say none of the above with absolute certainty as no one, not even the government's can say a single thing about how things will look post Brexit with any certainty whatsoever.

Weeks away from the deadline?

It's Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brexit food shortages are not inevitable – keep calm and don’t panic buy
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/read-this/brexit-food-shortages-are-not-inevitable-keep-calm-and-dont-panic-buy/

Article from Brexit-1 day. And, how reassuring - "not inevitable."

Repeal would make food shortages due to Brexit, inevitable. QED.

Even turnip-head Gove said prices would go up, on the Marr show. Weaseled around it, but that's his political DNA. Prices will go up if there are tariffs where there weren't before, of course if HMG becomes a magic money tree that'll delay the inevitable until Sterling drops far enough. Gove said something along those lines about subsidies, too. Welfare for everyone.

Since he calls Ireland his home and have been here 12 years he should already be a naturalised Irish citizen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No change to the common travel agreement thingy.

Stated many times

Many things have been stated many times.
    (Leaving with an excellent deal/many many highly favourable trade agreements just waiting /€350m for the NHS etc etc).

The reality is no one is sure exactly what is going to happen.
    Not the UK pensioners living in Spain who need medical treatment.
    Not EU citizens living in the UK.
    Not UK citizens living in the Irish republic.
    Not people living in the border counties.

No One.

It's easy to dismiss people's fears when one isn't personally affected.

Nor is it too much to expect the UK government to be perfectly clear to it's citizens exactly how they will be affected.

... If they actually knew... which they obviously don't...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Many things have been stated many times.
    (Leaving with an excellent deal/many many highly favourable trade agreements just waiting /€350 for the NHS etc etc).

The reality is no one is sure exactly what is going to happen.
    Not the UK pensioners living in Spain who need medical treatment.
    Not EU citizens living in the UK.
    Not UK citizens living in the Irish republic.
    Not people living in the border counties.

No One.

It's easy to dismiss people's fears when one isn't personally affected.

Nor is it too much to expect the UK government to be perfectly clear to it's citizens exactly how they will be affected.

... If they actually knew... which they obviously don't...

https://www-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1069694/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQEKAFwAQ%3D%3D#aoh=15673390665868&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fireland%2F2019%2F0819%2F1069694-varadkar-johnson%2F

Yeah they do. Sure they said it a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Its so funny to see Europhiles squirm, keep it up lads! The UK is leaving the EU, you lost, deal with it.
    Lost three years of our lives waiting for them to leave but otherwise who really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I may be one of the very lucky few that **might well benefit from a hard Brexit business wise we buy a lot of our products directly from Chinese/Asian suppliers shipped here directly, and the rest of our products that we get from UK accounts - are merely a UK depot for EU companies anyways, so we can just start buying directly from the likes of Germany and France etc.

A lot, and by a lot I mean most of my competitors business models are entirely different to our model, as they buy very little direct from Asian suppliers, and are almost entirely dependent on a 24hr shipping service from the UK. With some of them being mere Irish depots of UK companies anyway.

If Brexit gets as messy as some are suggesting, I think we may become wholesalers in Ireland for our competitors in the short term, as ultimately they'll have little other choice, but how long they would survive having to do so I've no clue.

**However I can say none of the above with absolute certainty as no one, not even the government's can say a single thing about how things will look post Brexit with any certainty whatsoever.

Weeks away from the deadline?

It's Madness.
    If your competitors have a significant portion of their cost base in sterling and report in euro then they've done very well with the exchange rate and could continue to do so. I'd be inclined to squeeze them if I got the chance.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lost three years of our lives waiting for them to leave but otherwise who really cares.

People worrying about things that may or may not happen. Things they have no control over.

The question is . Will worrying help the situation?
    The answer . No

Wait and see and deal with what comes. No power to change anything so adapt and overcome .

Applies to all of life's situations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They've said a lot of things.
    Then they've said some opposite things to the things they previously said.
    Then they denied they said things.
    Then they denied they denied they said the opposite things.

What they have not done is provide absolute certainty to their citizens living abroad - in any EU country - as to what exactly is going to happen next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Sure! I'm also familiar with bridge dwellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement