Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wetlandsboy

A+-Guru wrote: »
    I passed by Keanes in Limerick other week, the window had 0 Rolex

Even less chance of seeing any in Hartmann’s in Galway. I believe they are no longer a Rolex AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There is no such thing as a Rolex AD anymore. They are just shops that manage the waiting lists and do handovers. Rolex might as well be online only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Also €1000 is nearing Nomos range, whilst their styling might not be to everyone's taste, there's a strong argument for there being a lot of bang for little buck.

I might even pull the trigger on one whilst I wait for the Rolex market to soften (if at all).

I'm considering them as well (still saving) though I might go for an Anordain, their vitreous enamel dials are gorgeous, model 1 is sold out but they are going to do another run and the model 2 handwinder is lovely for 950 pounds. Scottish made with swiss movements is quite an unlikely combo but the colours of the dials are unlike anything Ive seen in the industry, really unique rich shades.

shutup wrote: »
    You either didn’t take your drugs this morning or you did take drugs this morning! Either way go to bed.
    I didn’t understand much of your insane rambling but just wanted to correct you on a couple of the “points” you made that were somewhat readable.
    1. I am exactly the target market for Rolex. Young, male, from the flats, involved in criminality, neck tattoo, wear skinny tracksuit with fresh runners, weekly sharpe hair cut. I tick every box.
    B. I never said I wouldn’t buy a Grand Seiko. I said I wouldn’t spend a grand on a seiko.
    That comment was actually a hilarious joke in which I used a play on words while pretending I was confused between the brand Grand Seiko and the act of spending €1000 on a Seiko.

if comedy was your career you would struggle to afford a Timex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given Rolex have very rarely made a misstep in their marketing in the company's history, I'd not be surprised to hear FG that they're trying to deflate this current mania/bubble regarding their steel sports models. It would be about the right time too.

It has worked extremely well to raise their brand even more, but leave it much longer and they might face a wider backlash with people thinking "eh wut?" and questioning the wisdom of essentially begging to spend money with them. That can work if you're a tiny operation operating in a very rarefied market, but not so much at their volumes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

What kind of a discount can you expect on a blue dial Milgauss? RRP is €7700.

My other choice would be a Grand Seiko Snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

quattro777 wrote: »
    What kind of a discount can you expect on a blue dial Milgauss? RRP is €7700.

My other choice would be a Grand Seiko Snowflake.

None

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Find it astonishing that anyone would spend 1000 euro on a watch, nor mind several grand. What's the mindset here? Wouldn't help that I'd spend the entire time worrying about scratching it or losing it either. Plus I find most of these watches pretty tacky to look at. But each to their own. There'll be plenty of things that I like that others don't like either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Find it astonishing that anyone would spend 1000 euro on a watch, nor mind several grand. What's the mindset here?
    Various things L. Watches are one of the very few items of "acceptable" male jewellery out there and jewellery tends to be expensive or look it. Social and peer cache another aspect, so a "big name" like Rolex will have the most recognition and you pay more for that name. Quality. More expensive watches tend to be higher quality, though above a certain price it's usually more the name on the dial, but again down to prestige and cache. Rarity, or perceived rarity; rare things tend to be expensive. Investment values can be a part of it, but generally only applicable to a few brands and some vintage models. A sense of continuity, tradition and hand craft is another part of the mechanical watch revival and popularity. Much of it is BS, but find me an aspect of humanity that doesn't contain some BS. So it's all sorts of reasons LSAJ

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Find it astonishing that anyone would spend 1000 euro on a watch, nor mind several grand. What's the mindset here? Wouldn't help that I'd spend the entire time worrying about scratching it or losing it either. Plus I find most of these watches pretty tacky to look at. But each to their own. There'll be plenty of things that I like that others don't like either.

Similar to what Wibbs said my watch is the only piece of jewelry I wear so I don’t mind spending a lot on it. €1000 is absolutely nothing to spend on a watch either, that’s still only mid range territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why buy an iPhone when a sub €100 Huawei does the same?
    Why buy a 4-bed semi if you can fit 2 bunk beds into a studio?
    Why buy a Mercedes if a Dacia also gets you from A to B.

Watches are similar. And I do like that analogy of it being the one piece of jewellery that a man can safely wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Find it astonishing that anyone would spend 1000 euro on a watch, nor mind several grand. What's the mindset here? Wouldn't help that I'd spend the entire time worrying about scratching it or losing it either.

I currently have only one watch (wibbs please don't ban me :p)

It's not perfect and I bought it second hand for just under a grand. Buy the newer model of my watch new now and it would be over 3 grand. I bought my watch at a good price. It will never be worth less than what I paid for it.

In my latest update of my home insurance, I put is on as a specifically named item. That cost me €20 per year iirc. This insures the watch for any loss. If it falls off my wrist while swimming in Spain, if my car drives over it, if it is stolen in a Dublin night club. So no worries there. It is already scratched (on the bezel - the sapphire crystal itself can't be scratched), so no worries there either

And I'll echo the above posters. I do not wear jewelry, not even my wedding ring. I have no piercings or tattoos. This is the only thing I wear. I wear it because I think it is of great beauty and class. I have wanted it for many years before I could finally get it. It's not a Rolex BTW, it's an Omega. Not quite as posh, but not far from it.

Here it is on my wrist, I love it.

489612.jpg

I do change the strap a lot though. Maybe that's my weakness :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd also echo what Wibbs and others have said about watches.
    I really only started to grow anything resembling a collection over the last few months.

I have no other Jewellery, my wedding ring is fairly basic steel and carbon fibre.
    I had 1 watch for the last 15yrs and a while back I started developing a yearning for another.
    That led me onto this forum, and that started the search for me.

I recently got rid of my car and I am lucky enough to be mortgage free so I have some free cash to direct to a decent watch or 2.
    I can't afford a SS Rolex, and while the Explorer 2 would be the one I'd buy unless I was getting it for straight retail I don't think I could convince myself to buy it.

I have a Breitling that I bought a couple of months ago as a gift to myself for an upcoming milestone birthday and just yesterday I closed a deal for 2nd hand Sinn U2.

That will likely stay the core of my collection for the foreseeable and any changes will be strap swaps rather new watches ;)
    I have a steel bracelet on the way for the Breitling, aswell as a leather deployment strap.

The Sinn is on a rubber deployment clasp and will likely see most of its wear on a NATO.

The watches aren't hugely valuable but they were pricey enough.(for me at least)
    All 3 cost less total than a SS Rolex at retail, and also far less than my wife's engagement ring :P

I take far more pleasure from the skill and design of a good mechanical watch or quartz than I do from a sparkly rock but each to their own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

banie01 wrote: »
    All 3 cost less total than a SS Rolex at retail, and also far less than my wife's engagement ring :P

Ah yes. Nice one. I'll keep that defense line at hand :D

A bit off topic, but my wife's diamond on here engagement ring somehow got lost. Luckily I had it as a mentioned item on the house insurance early on. I never price indexed it, the diamond was worth a lot more retail than the insured value, but thankfully we had a jeweller in the direct family so we did not lose out.

I would have thought the same until I basically educated myself on them. I actually never wore a watch until a year or so ago because (and this is hilarious to me now) I don't like the sound of them ticking on my nightstand and didnt know you could get watches that have sweeping seconds hands, that dont need batteries. I also never really liked the style of watches that were popular as I was growing up that were large and loud, but smaller vintage inspired styles have become more popular now and if you think all expensive watches are blingy or tacky you just dont really know about whats out there. A lot of fine watches (and most of my favorite ones) are quite subtle.

Like Wibbs said, it's the only accessory most men wear. And they are amazing pieces of craftsmanship and engineering. An automatic or hand wound watch is almost like having a living thing on your wrist (compared to quartz/digital). And I love the history behind them which is so varied and typically stems from their use as a tool not as decoration, for use by pilots, divers to time missions/dives, chronographs for race car drivers. The first men who went to the moon, climbed Mt. Everest etcetera relied on them heavily.

Before becoming a luxury item Rolex became well known because they were top quality tools.
    Basically the beauty of them was borne out of their function and I love that. And I LOVE the patina and proportions on a vintage watch like the Rolex GMT Cal. 6542 with the Bakelite bezels.

Once I fell down the rabbit hole (and it didn't take long) I found the design aesthetics on different dials really interesting and beautiful and became addicted to looking at them. But then again I also like abstract art that some people dont get at all either.

Conversely, I don't see why jimmy choo shoes or louis vuitton bags are worth the money but I'm sure some women could tell me or at least try.

Find it astonishing that anyone would spend 1000 euro on a watch,

Totally agree. That isn't half enough :D

Its like anything there are levels, and details that are maybe not immediately obvious to the outsider.

I can tell you, that wearing a good watch is really fantastic thing. I think your a little more confident, you have a little portable bit of your personality, they are achievements, useful, aesthetic and a easily portable tradable asset.

Watches are making a big comeback thanks to all the fashion watches and smart watches. And just like junk food, after a while these people will crave something with more quality and flavor.

Unkle you were lucky get a Seamaster for under a grand

Just picked up my new Submariner with date. It’s a fantastic piece of classic design and is basically the same since the 50’s. As was mentioned earlier the quality of construction is fantastic with sharp clean edges to the bracelet and case. It’s a fair amount of money for something frivolous but it’s a significant time in my life and will probably go down in the grave with me.

Pics to follow

and will probably go down in the grave with me.

Congrats...put up some pics.

Remember to pass it on, no use to you in the ground :D

Congrats...put up some pics.

Remember to pass it on, no use to you in the ground :D

Sorry for poor photo quality done pics on a phone.

I know some here are dismayed at the thought of spending so much on a watch but I reckon each to their own.

It’s a quality piece but then again quality pieces can also be got for a lot less money.

It’s the little touches like when the crown is fully wound in the Rolex crown is properly aligned at 12 o clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,649 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s the little touches like when the crown is fully wound in the Rolex crown is properly aligned at 12 o clock.

You just got lucky there unfortunately or fortunately for you !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What baffles me a little is spending so much on a perceived value, as opposed to an inherent value. Specifically say a stainless steel rolex. What's the actual manufacturering cost of a steel rolex like say the Batman, which has a perceived value of 12-14 grand. What's the actual cost or value -would it even be as much as 500 quid? If supply controls were removed and they were as readily available as a seiko diver? That sort of artificial inflation is not something I would personally feel comfortable buying into.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

fat bloke wrote: »
    What baffles me a little is spending so much on a perceived value, as opposed to an inherent value. Specifically say a stainless steel rolex. What's the actual manufacturering cost of a steel rolex like say the Batman, which has a perceived value of 12-14 grand. What's the actual cost or value -would it even be as much as 500 quid? If supply controls were removed and they were as readily available as a seiko diver? That sort of artificial inflation is not something I would personally feel comfortable buying into.

Luxury products are traded almost exclusively on their perceived value, even if they were as readily available as a seiko diver, they would be multiple times more expensive, because luxury isn't cheap, and seiko aren't luxury.

fat bloke wrote: »

I’d say the actual manufacturing cost is probably €1000-€2000 euro max and selling at €7950 a nice racket if you can get into it.

As has been said by myself and others “whatever floats your boat”

My friend bought a racing bike for €6500 second hand a few weeks ago. He’s always been into cycling and I’m happy for him. Personally to me it’s a piece of carbon fiber and that’s all but he loves it and will give him years of happiness cos that’s what he’s into.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whenever I see these questions pop up about the actual cost they’re rarely include the R&D cost in making these. Sure maybe the cost to manufacture is a fraction of the price but the R&D cost plus tooling and all that needs to be included.

I’m not saying that they aren’t making an insane amount but there’s a few videos online trying to estimate the bill of materials are often not showing the full picture.

True CC, though one might argue that some brands, Rolex and Omega for example, but not the only ones, are selling watch models they've had in their catalogues for decades. Yes they've tweaked them here and there, with a different colour bezels, dials, hands or some material changes, but there would be a lot less R&D and tooling up on say an Omega Speedmaster than say a brand new Hamilton or say a Longines reissue of one of their "heritage" models(that are brand new watch designs with no interchangeable parts with the originals).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭893bet

Market popping.......been signs for a few months.

BLNR price slashing in watchfinder...as low as 13.3k euro for the old version

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/147366?searchId=0e0977b2-deb4-4430-af1c-aae496e93909&rank=13

They are flooded with BLNR also. 20 in stock. Were they holding back stock? Probably I would say.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/search?q=Blnr

Hulk available for just over 14k
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/150142?searchId=b6d6e732-ae66-4f11-9686-2b0d3780ec22&rank=4

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

There having a sale today that's all

893bet wrote: »
    Market popping.......been signs for a few months.

BLNR price slashing in watchfinder...as low as 13.3k euro for the old version

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/147366?searchId=0e0977b2-deb4-4430-af1c-aae496e93909&rank=13

They are flooded with BLNR also. 20 in stock. Were they holding back stock? Probably I would say.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/search?q=Blnr

Hulk available for just over 14k
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/150142?searchId=b6d6e732-ae66-4f11-9686-2b0d3780ec22&rank=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Guy in the office got a no date Sub from a Rolex store after just a 3 month wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A+-Guru wrote: »
    There having a sale today that's all

Yeah, but not too long ago you'd not need to discount these models in a sale.

Advertisement