Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night buses

• 28-08-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm sure it's been discussed before but does anyone know if there are any plans in place for late night city buses for Galway? Particularly on weekends?

Would you use a late (until 2am) local bus once or more every month? 33 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    dwayneburkeKingp35DuckSlicebeardybrewerNailzBuddy74vinnycoyneSqueeonlineCheshire CatL'prof[Deleted User]Foxx92siltirocker[Deleted User]van_beanoN1onecanireallyMr_AMervyn SkidmoreMoyglish 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

What route you interested in?
    How late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

No
    The main routes in the city, 409, 401. Up until 2.30am probably, maybe running every 30 mins. Has it been tried before?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The main routes in the city, 409, 401. Up until 2.30am probably, maybe running every 30 mins. Has it been tried before?
    There's been one before. Was not viable
    €7 fare and the service will run on Dec 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, 26th, 27th, 28th, 30th and 31st.
    Buses will depart Eyre Square at 1.30am, 2.30am and 3.30am for Oranmore – via the Doughiska Road – and on to Claregalway.
    https://connachttribune.ie/late-night-bus-service-for-galway-city/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nobody should have to put up with drunk people on public transport, staff nor other passengers so it's a no go from me.

No
    Nobody should have to put up with drunk people on public transport, staff nor other passengers so it's a no go from me.

They have late night buses in lots of cities around the world, it's nothing new.

• Advertisement

They have late night buses in lots of cities around the world, it's nothing new.
    Don't doubt that but in my experience of late nights in Galway and of drunk people on buses during daytime hours I do not think it's a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cork did this for Chrimstmas at 1, 2 and 3am
    Now they even have a 24hour service Ballincollig to Carrigaline

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Believe me driving 4 drunks home in a taxi last at night is some experience .
    They would want the army on the buses if there was 50 going home late at night.
    Wouldn't like to have the job of cleaning them after a late night shift .
    Not to mention the chances of fights breaking out .
    All in all it wouldn't be worth the risk for any bus supplier as their vecihcles would get destroyed .

• No
    It’s been running successfully for years in Dublin.

A few busses late at night heading out to the county are needed when it’s 40 or 50 euro for many to get a taxi home.

No
    I'd like a bit more research than "it'll never work". I'd like to see it trialled anyway, the link above is from 2013 so maybe it's time to try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Believe me driving 4 drunks home in a taxi last at night is some experience .
    Wouldn't like to have the job of cleaning them after a late night shift .
    Not to mention the chances of fights breaking out .
    All in all it wouldn't be worth the risk for any bus supplier as their vecihcles would get destroyed .

Sez the taximan who would earn less if this service was provided.

Funny how BusLink have been successfully running a night-link to Athenry (I think via Oranmore) for years, and their buses have survived.

• No

Funny how BusLink have been successfully running a night-link to Athenry (I think via Oranmore) for years, and their buses have survived.

Was going to mention bus link. I've gotten it many times, never any trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No
    Was going to mention bus link. I've gotten it many times, never any trouble.

Does it go via Oranmore? This is the first time I've heard of this service.

Think there's a big difference in one's going out to the county and it being part of the city service. It's would be almost a necessity for county folk but a convenience for city folk thus leading to the potential for much more anti social behaviour on a city version.

Wrong again Mrs OBumble .... Don't do nights .
    Night buses would have no effect on my revenue .
    Did nights for 10 years , couldn't do it .
    Listening to one drunken bore is enough without listening to 100s .
    You have obviously never worked with the public drunks .
    Would love to hear anyone try it for a year and than comment on what night services should be provided .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Tiana Happy Bunny

24 hr service running in Cork on one of the busiest routes, every 15 mins during the day, 30 minutes between 12 and 6am.

I frequently get it from the city centre to my suburban home, after I finish work so stone cold sober.

The ONLY issue I have with it is the unreliable timetable. You'd want to be very bloody delicate to be put out by the drunken carry on.

Like, night buses work fine in cities 10 times the size of Galway with a far wilder nightlife, bigger problems with drug use, knife crime etc. But oh god, we couldn't have that in Galway, they'd be rioting and burning the buses. God almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Bredabe

No
    Don't doubt that but in my experience of late nights in Galway and of drunk people on buses during daytime hours I do not think it's a goer.

Granted some of the 'in bus' entertainment can be off putting, but I've met some of the most lovely ppl(usually sober) ppl on night busses.

Additionally some of the last minute pick up lines are hysterical!!!!

Each route running once an hour, always packed, so must have been making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Does any see the city characters getting on the bus across from Fibber McGees. The aul lad who wears a hat that drinks the Dutch gold and shouting n roaring

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No
    And what of the people who work etc and might need to get home and dont always drive??
    It works as others have said in this thread in much bigger cities with little trouble. Ive worked in pubs in Dublin and many of the guys who work in the pubs use them to get home after their shift
    Believe me driving 4 drunks home in a taxi last at night is some experience.
    Wouldn't like to have the job of cleaning them after a late night shift.
    Not to mention the chances of fights breaking out.
    All in all it wouldn't be worth the risk for any bus supplier as their vecihcles would get destroyed.
    Buses getting destroyed? Ah drop the hysterics. It works well in cities worldwide. Very simple and you are greatly overestimating the chances/liklihood of trouble.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Does any see the city characters getting on the bus across from Fibber McGees. The aul lad who wears a hat that drinks the Dutch gold and shouting n roaring

Yes.

A few of 'em live at the top of College Rd. They're not the worst.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »

BusLink's own website is infected with malware (according to my browser).

I just checked www.a-b.ie, and it looks like it doesn't. Have a feeling that they tried it when it first started, but maybe the demand wasn't there.

Contact BusLink (via Facebook) for the definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Even 12.30 would be a big improvement. 11.30 is just too early to have the last bus home. The best part of 20 euros to get home after that is expensive.

The bus operators don't WANT to put their buses on past midnight .
    Head into galway sober and walk around eyre square after a busy student midweek night or on a bank holiday Saturday and ask yer selves why are there no late buses.
    And as for those that say I'm over the top regarding saying their buses will get destroyed. Ask any bus operator why they don't put on late late buses.
    They tried it once ... And quote " never again "
    Drivers getting abused because they wouldn't drop people at their front doors .
    Takeaway litter all over the buses .
    Not to mention the vomit .
    Try to get some of these lads to put on a seatbelt ?

• No
    The bus operators don't WANT to put their buses on past midnight .
    Head into galway sober and walk around eyre square after a busy student midweek night or on a bank holiday Saturday and ask yer selves why are there no late buses.
    And as for those that say I'm over the top regarding saying their buses will get destroyed. Ask any bus operator why they don't put on late late buses.
    They tried it once ... And quote " never again "
    Drivers getting abused because they wouldn't drop people at their front doors .
    Takeaway litter all over the buses .
    Not to mention the vomit .
    Try to get some of these lads to put on a seatbelt ?

And for the less dramatic folks out there..... This is already in operation for several years for Athenry. Its in operation the world over. Sure there are issues, but there are issues in the pub, on the street, at the taxi ranks etc.

Once the hysterics are down away with, this is a good idea that should be up and running, at least for Fri and Sat nights where there would be a demand.

And what of the people who work etc and might need to get home and dont always drive??

It works as others have said in this thread in much bigger cities with little trouble. Ive worked in pubs in Dublin and many of the guys who work in the pubs use them to get home after their shift

Buses getting destroyed? Ah drop the hysterics. It works well in cities worldwide. Very simple and you are greatly overestimating the chances/liklihood of trouble.

If the demand is there from workers then maybe it'll be trialled. Running past 1130 makes sense but wouldn't be needed on every route, many are quiet as is, the later in the evening it gets. If I'm not mistaken there was a late bus trialled in the early 00's which didn't last very long. Some may remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Kingp35 wrote: »

Nope.

Athenry direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No
    The bus operators don't WANT to put their buses on past midnight.
    They tried it once ... And quote "never again"
    Drivers getting abused because they wouldn't drop people at their front doors.
    Takeaway litter all over the buses.
    Not to mention the vomit.
    Try to get some of these lads to put on a seatbelt?
    What's with the hysterics.
    It works successfully in many hundreds of cities around the world, plenty with far worse issues than Galway..
    Of course there could be problems but Galway isnt so troublesome that it cant run these services when they work so well in so many other places.
    And you are really focusing on vomit .... and it would be city buses like the double deckers which dont have seat belts anyway
    If the demand is there from workers then maybe it'll be trialled. Running past 1130 makes sense but wouldn't be needed on every route, many are quiet as is, the later in the evening it gets. If I'm not mistaken there was a late bus trialled in the early 00's which didn't last very long. Some may remember it.
    It wouldnt even have to be the same exact routes as the normal day buses. Could be altered routes which is the case in Dublin

No
    Some of the replies here paint Galway as some sort of lawless hellscape.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some awful nonsense here. The Nitelink buses in Dublin have run for years, been on them many times and never saw any trouble. Most people by that stage just want to get home to bed.. The worst thing ever happened me was falling asleep and missing my stop. Buses these days have CCTV and people know if they start anything they'll be on camera.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Some awful nonsense here. The Nitelink buses in Dublin have run for years, been on them many times and never saw any trouble. Most people by that stage just want to get home to bed.. The worst thing ever happened me was falling asleep and missing my stop. Buses these days have CCTV and people know if they start anything they'll be on camera.
    That's good to hear. You'd imagine it's a lack of demand which has seen the idea never catch on here so.

An Eastside and Westside route would be the obvious ones to try, something akin to the 409 and 405(west).

Advertisement