Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late night buses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No
    Just because a bus is after hours, does not mean that everyone will be drunk.

Just because people have a drink, does not mean that they will be fighting and vomiting everywhere on every bus.

Although I suspect that as a taxi driver, all those people paying a couple euro for a journey home instead of 30e-40e for a taxi may play a part in that opinion.

I think it would be a great idea anyways to have later buses in, even if they trialled into until 12.30 or 1.00 am and see how it goes. I've often missed the last bus home and rued it, this would help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's good to hear. You'd imagine it's a lack of demand which has seen the idea never catch on here so.

An Eastside and Westside route would be the obvious ones to try, something akin to the 409 and 405(west).

Galway is a smaller city. A taxi to where I lived in Dublin would cost €30 these days. You can get a taxi to anywhere in Galway City from the city centre for €12-15 max. There is not as much of a saving, particularly if you're sharing a taxi, so yes, I'd say demand is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

I suggest ye email the bus operators and ask them
    " why don't ye continue the service until 5am ".
    .... Please put up their response
    ...... I would wager it's because driving people home at the latest 11.30pm and continuing on until 5 am is chalk and cheese .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No
    "why don't ye continue the service until 5am".
    ...... I would wager it's because driving people home at the latest 11.30pm and continuing on until 5 am is chalk and cheese.
    Dont be ridiculous. It isnt continuing a service until 5am it is a different service just like in Dublin etc

Dont be ridiculous. It isnt continuing a service until 5am it is a different service just like in Dublin etc

So what time are ye asking for buses to be extended to o wise one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No
    So what time are ye asking for buses to be extended to o wise one?
    Maybe 3/4am but my point is it isnt the exact same routes as the buses during the day as it doesnt have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can anyone actually answer the OP's question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No
    This thread is right at the point for someone to throw in the "won't someone think of the children" comment.

Personally I would use a bus ahead of paying 11/12 euro for a taxi out to riverside, even though it doesn't bring me to my door and I might have to listen to drunks, although its probably the other people that will be sick of listening to me :P

OP - I haven't heard of any plans of late buses to be run in Galway, I'm sure all the taxi companies will do their best to keep it that way. Not a personal attack on taxi drivers, its their source of income so of course they are going to try and protect it.

No
    ...... I would wager it's because driving people home at the latest 11.30pm and continuing on until 5 am is chalk and cheese .

As with most things transport related," the unions"

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

No
    Some of the scaremongering here is incredible..

Nitelink works great in Dublin, I'm female and in my mid twenties and 99% of the time I take them alone and then walk from the bus stop home. I have no intention of paying about €25 for a taxi for 1 person/

I think the worst experience I've had on them was a drunk English man telling me about his career in online gambling when I just wanted to be left alone with my McDonalds but besides that people (including the drunk ones) are fine.

• Advertisement

No

Why are you ignoring all the posters pointing out that not only do late busses run in Dublin and cork along with all over the world there is one running to athenry?

Taxis have it too handy, 40 to 50 euro for me to get home only just over 20km outside the city. Absolute gouging should be no meter and flat rate around 25 quid no more. You have to lie then too as a lot of drivers will refuse to bring you out the county, have to drip feed the directions to the final destination.

A bus might leave me with a walk of about 2km but feck for say even a 10er would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why are you ignoring all the posters pointing out that not only do late busses run in Dublin and cork along with all over the world there is one running to athenry?

Taxis have it too handy, 40 to 50 euro for me to get home only just over 20km outside the city. Absolute gouging should be no meter and flat rate around 25 quid no more. You have to lie then too as a lot of drivers will refuse to bring you out the county, have to drip feed the directions to the final destination.

A bus might leave me with a walk of about 2km but feck for say even a 10er would be worth it.
    I'm obviously drunk, as I've just seen Nox say he'd use a bus.

No
    I'm obviously drunk, as I've just seen Nox say he'd use a bus.

I’m always willing to use public transport for drink related activities :pac:

Just shows what you know .
    The taxi fares are done by a government agency .
    The national transport authority sets the fares charged.
    We as TAXIDRIVERS have no say whatsoever in what the NTA set fares at .
    Our meters are sealed ( regular checks done on our meters) of which we have no control over .
    In fact our last increase ( over 90% of drivers didn't want the NTA to pass it on) we were told to take it .
    But don't let FACTS get in of your moan about where YOU DECIDED TO LIVE and how much you have to pay to get home from galway city .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ashleigh1986, cool the jets a bit

I am adding a poll to keep this thread somewhat on local night buses.

In fact, a late local bus could mean some people go home a little earlier which is probably a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

There should be 4 busses operating after midnight leaving eyre Square, 1 going north, towards tuam, south, east (in particular) and west. Say a 20km radius.

If they done 1 journey after midnight on Fri and sat they'd make money and it would be in demand

Taxis are getting it to handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

No
    I'd just be happy to grab a bus after 6pm to get to Salthill or town. Sadly it's faster to walk an hour than bother with our feeble public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd just be happy to grab a bus after 6pm to get to Salthill or town. Sadly it's faster to walk an hour than bother with our feeble public transport.

Bus to Salthill goes every 20 mins until 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It would be great if the Eyre Square to Athenry bus from Bus Link went via Oranmore.

No

Which route? The 402 route has me walking 50% of it. Useless if it's wet out or for a girl on her own. The 411 takes you all the way to town just do you can come back to Salthill. Nearly faster to walk. There is no night time direct route that goes Knock to R336 for handy drop-offs at Blackrock or Seapoint. We have no public transport in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No

Which route? The 402 route has me walking 50% of it. Useless if it's wet out or for a girl on her own. The 411 takes you all the way to town just do you can come back to Salthill. Nearly faster to walk. There is no night time direct route that goes Knock to R336 for handy drop-offs at Blackrock or Seapoint. We have no public transport in my mind.

401 is the bus you are looking for.

No
    401 is the bus you are looking for.

I don't think that goes to Knocknacarra? Sounds like it goes from Pearse Stadium, through Salthill alright, through town to Parkmore.

Cheers but I'm pretty sure there is no bus which runs in the evenings which can go from say the church via the R336 along the prom to town.

There's 14K people in knock, I'd imagine one decent route to salthill on to town could be popular.

During the elections there was talk of cross-town buses. Amazing not to clog the city centre to get from knock to parkmore or briarhill isn't an option. But it will never happen. Someone said it best in another thread galway is a small city run like a large village. There's an investment and leap of courage to make long term infrastructure changes beyond their years in office that just won't happen here. And that's why we're all here to moan after living here decades and seeing nothing really change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

No
    I don't think that goes to Knocknacarra? Sounds like it goes from Pearse Stadium, through Salthill alright, through town to Parkmore.

Cheers but I'm pretty sure there is no bus which runs in the evenings which can go from say the church via the R336 along the prom to town.

There's 14K people in knock, I'd imagine one decent route to salthill on to town could be popular.

During the elections there was talk of cross-town buses. Amazing not to clog the city centre to get from knock to parkmore or briarhill isn't an option. But it will never happen. Someone said it best in another thread galway is a small city run like a large village. There's an investment and leap of courage to make long term infrastructure changes beyond their years in office that just won't happen here. And that's why we're all here to moan after living here decades and seeing nothing really change.

The 401 does go by the stadia, down to the prom and through town to parkmore,
    city direct have the 411 which leaves knocknacarra to town via salthill once an hour and seems to stop around 11pm.
    I have told each politician brave enough to knock on the door that more busses are needed to get ppl eastside in the am's and westward late nights(I have little knowledge of how busses run in other parts of galway) and each one of them told me that there was no demand +/ TII wou'nt let them.
    This city is a disaster for public transport, going places ppl want to go when they need to get there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think that goes to Knocknacarra?

You did't mention Knocknacarra earlier.

I'd agree that the buses there should be more frequent: have ended up waiting 30 minutes at night myself.

But going from one suburb to another is always going to be a challenge: what should be on the route vs what shouldn't. I'd expect more people travel Knockers / NUIG (which is on the 402 and 411 routes) than Knockers / Salthill (which only has the 410, which is pretty limited).

With 10+ years experience using the public transport here, i'd say that at this point it 1) a lot better than it was, and 2) perfectly adequate for a lot of people's work and study travel needs.

No
    Why are you recommending bus route #s if you don't know where people are coming from? :pac:

Thanks to all the bus experts who chimed in. It spurred me on to actually stop by the bus stop this morning and take a look. It turns out there is a bus route exactly like I was on about, the 410. Unfortunately, and i remember this from years ago last time I checked, it stops running at half 5. That's why google wasn't showing that option as I was using their "schedule explorer" to look in the evenings, the one time I'd really like to use the bus.

Even if I want to go to Eyre Square in the evening the fastest bus is 40 minutes not counting walking out of my way to and from the bus stops plus waiting around for a bus that might not come. Meanwhile I can walk to town if I have to in a hour-ish, I can go directly from A to B, and it's more reliable.

For me to get to Salthill for a pint between the 410 not running evenings, the 411/412 takes as long as walking (50 mins to go 4k), the 402 only drives 2k of the 4k there, it seems Knocknacarra is a geographical oddity with no decent bus service worth bothering with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

No
    Why are you recommending bus route #s if you don't know where people are coming from? :pac:

Thanks to all the bus experts who chimed in. It spurred me on to actually stop by the bus stop this morning and take a look. It turns out there is a bus route exactly like I was on about, the 410. Unfortunately, and i remember this from years ago last time I checked, it stops running at half 5. That's why google wasn't showing that option as I was using their "schedule explorer" to look in the evenings, the one time I'd really like to use the bus.

Even if I want to go to Eyre Square in the evening the fastest bus is 40 minutes not counting walking out of my way to and from the bus stops plus waiting around for a bus that might not come. Meanwhile I can walk to town if I have to in a hour-ish, I can go directly from A to B, and it's more reliable.

For me to get to Salthill for a pint between the 410 not running evenings, the 411/412 takes as long as walking (50 mins to go 4k), the 402 only drives 2k of the 4k there, it seems Knocknacarra is a geographical oddity with no decent bus service worth bothering with.

Knocknacarra is a hole as far as buss's are concerned!!!!, even an almost complete stranger told me that the other night. It makes no sense as most of the facilities lacking in salthill/rahoon are there, but f all useful public transport there to facilitate using them!
    I dont know how ppl working on the eastside of the city make it in time for their jobs.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Advertisement