Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 is now Virgin Media Television

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Physics live threw me there for a minute... Thought it was like open University

Ha, if only. There was a 4 part show back in 2001 called Exam Countdown with Ray Darcy. That was about as close as TV3 got to regarding education.

Ha I remember the threads here for psychics live. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Psychics Live. An absolute group of **** bags ripping off the vulnerable. How that ever got on national television I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I miss TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I miss TV3.

I miss Channel 6...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I miss TV3.

Very funny, how could you possibly be? its not gone anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bring back TV3, Channel 6, Setanta Sports, 3e, Telifís Éireann, UTV Ireland, Be3, Irish TV, Sky News Ireland, Network 2, TNaG and Bubble Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Skid X wrote: »
    Bring back TV3, Channel 6, Setanta Sports, 3e, Telifís Éireann, UTV Ireland, Be3, Irish TV, Sky News Ireland, Network 2, TNaG and Bubble Hits.

And if you're around well into the future you'll be saying "bring back Virgin Media TV" we all miss something when its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Skid X wrote: »

I draw the line at UTV Ireland (most pointless excuse for a channel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

lertsnim wrote: »
    Psychics Live. An absolute group of **** bags ripping off the vulnerable. How that ever got on national television I don't know.

You could say the same about their other project, Play TV:

As I said in post #116, these Hungarian gangsters are somehow still doing business. Let's be thankful that they haven't made any more attempts to scam the people of Ireland...

• Advertisement

The friday night after the big relaunch and rebrand, what does Virgin One have as their Friday night movie? A movie with Halle Berry no-one has heard of. Meanwhile on RTE2 it's The Dark Knight Rises.

Safe to say VM isn't trying to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

The aul rebrand isn't getting much attention.

Ireland's got talent repeat on VM3 came complete with TV3 logo and website address. Would have taken all of ten minutes to repackage it

Given the amount of repeats we might have TV3 with us for a long time yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The DOG size is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I happened to land on this channel for the first time a few minutes ago. It has to be the most intrusive logo I've ever seen!

I couldn't enjoy a movie with that on the screen. I assume that they will tone it down in the coming days or weeks when they hear the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I happened to land on this channel for the first time a few minutes ago. It has to be the most intrusive logo I've ever seen!

I couldn't enjoy a movie with that on the screen. I assume that they will tone it down in the coming days or weeks when they hear the feedback.

I'd say reducing it is part of the plan they just want to reinforce it and the change

Absolutely brutal logo / name though. Virgin Media is illegible in almost any size of the logo and they have no consistency in how they display it.

Should have gone with VM or just Virgin Tv imo . Listening to the announcements and presenters trying to make Virgin Media Television sound natural is rough.

I'd go as far as to say they screwed this one up

Branding is old school imo. There are many reasons why so many people are cord cutting and I believe that this is one of them. I remember when sky introduced branding. It lasted about two days on their movie channels before they had to remove it. Thousands of people rang in to cancel over it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Watch a few minutes of BT Sport ESPN HD Live and get back to me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

icdg wrote: »
    Watch a few minutes of BT Sport ESPN HD Live and get back to me on that one.

BT's logos have never been a problem during IndyCar coverage. It may be long, but at least it's short and relatively out of the way.

As opposed to these ONE/TWO/THREE logos that feel like they take up at least 10% of the screen real estate, and inset far too much from the top-right corner.

Is it just me or have the ad breaks become ridiculously long?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TheChrisD wrote: »
    It may be long, but at least it's short.

It may be long, but at least it’s short?!?!?

Look, I’m not saying the logos aren’t bad. But it wouldn’t take me long to look through the channels on Sky to find channels with much larger DOGs than it does. Other examples: Racing UK (full colour!), PBS America,Together, Box Nation (another full colour one!).

Even if you just want Irish channels, try eir Sport 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it just me or have the ad breaks become ridiculously long?

Well there is regulation around how much advertising can be shown - maybe you just happened on a program where they used more of their allowed advertising to be shown which is what already happens for programs like X Factor et al

The friday night after the big relaunch and rebrand, what does Virgin One have as their Friday night movie? A movie with Halle Berry no-one has heard of. Meanwhile on RTE2 it's The Dark Knight Rises.

Safe to say VM isn't trying to compete.

Ratings for both:

RTE2 - The Dark Knight Rises 81,000
    Virgin Media One - The Call 140,000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

political news is about 2 minutes long :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ratings for both:

RTE2 - The Dark Knight Rises 81,000
    Virgin Media One - The Call 140,000

anybody know how exactly are the ratings taken? Does the monitored TV have to be tuned in for 100% of the time the film is show for to register? or does it just register the start or something?

If it just registers the start I could imagine many tuning in for a film they have not yet seen, but then possibly switching back over to something they may have watched several times.

I did watch batman that night but would have given "the call" a shot if I had known it was on -and likely switched back seeing the poor reviews.

rubadub wrote: »
    anybody know how exactly are the ratings taken? Does the monitored TV have to be tuned in for 100% of the time the film is show for to register? or does it just register the start or something?

If it just registers the start I could imagine many tuning in for a film they have not yet seen, but then possibly switching back over to something they may have watched several times.

I did watch batman that night but would have given "the call" a shot if I had known it was on -and likely switched back seeing the poor reviews.

For the popes mass they were able to give figures of 535,000 watching the whole mass & over 1 million tuned in at some stage. So we know they can give both .

I believe that usually viewing figures are someone that watched some of the program

It's possible that some viewers have seen Batman that many times that The Call was the better option. I did see the call about 4 years ago & it didn't strike me as being a terrible movie. It has 45 percent rotten tomatoes. While not a blockbuster 45 isn't terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 85,459 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/virgin-media-tv-reveals-its-new-season-of-programming-946767.html

A new psychological thriller series from the writer of 'Derry Girls' will be broadcast on Virgin Media as part of their new season.

'The Deceived' will air alongside the return of the Adrian Dunbar series 'Blood'.

Cardboard Gangsters writer Mark O’Connor’s TV debut 'Darklands' brings Dublin’s gangland to the small screen while 'Red Rock' also returns for deadly conclusion in the two-parter: 'Red Rock: The Finale'.

The winter edition of Love Island and new Gogglebox Ireland will also arrive on screens early next year.

The new season also sees Lucy Kennedy visiting Love/Hate's Barry Keoghan in his Hollywood home in a new series of 'Living with Lucy'.

Sporting fans will be pleased to see that the UEFA Champions League & UEFA Europa League, EURO 2020 Qualifiers, Heineken’s Champions Cup Rugby, The Six Nations and the Cheltenham and Aintree Grand National Festivals will also be aired.

A new sports news programme on Mondays and Fridays 'Virgin Media Sport Tonight' will combine the sports news of the day with opinion on the big sporting issues.

'The Tonight Show' and 'Pat Kenny’s Big Debate' will provide Virgin Media's current affairs offerings.

Speaking today, Director of Content, Bill Malone, said: “The past twelve months has seen us build great momentum at Virgin Media Television. This comes on the back of significant investment in our people, studios and infrastructure, ensuring that we are ideally placed to connect with and grow our audience into the future, be it on TV or on demand.”

• Registered Users Posts: 30,320 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know
    Maura Derrane
    said she filmed an episode of The Restaurant back in about April. She looked happy with how she got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Funny how they fail to mention the endless repeats of a handful of ITV shows.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Funny how they fail to mention the endless repeats of a handful of ITV shows.

Always try to stay away from thejournal's comments section near the end, but had a look during their report on their new schedule launch.

All everyone is stating is that the channels are just full of repeats and English programming. I can't imagine Bill Malone and the rest can be happy with the reputation it has.

There is no need for 3 channels, and even 2 is stretching it. No proper understanding what TWO is compared to what THREE is. They broadcast virtually the same programming, and so too with ONE.

Omitting Emmerdale, Corrie and the News @ 8, there was only one item between 7pm-2am this week Mon to Fri that hadn't been shown before - The Street - a series broadcast in 2010 on BBC, and they've strangely jumped into Series 3, without even showing 1 & 2.

On TWO, Love island USA, The Chase (S12) and Loose Women were the only programming to be seen as new. Everything else repeated.

On THREE, I cannot find anything there that hasn't been broadcast on the channel before. That 7 full days of 20 or so hours of repeats. Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Champions League was one of the few things that Godforsaken channel had worth watching, but they decided to put that behind a paywall, it's as bad as it was 20 years ago with filler and constant repeats.

Advertisement